• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy fuck.

I fought a Thunder Jaw and was like "this is probably the hardest enemy in the game".

Then I fought the bastard that digs under the ground. wtf. I beat it, but found no real good strategy for the whole fight. Could not dodge the attacks for the life of me.

Kin5290

Holy fuck.

I fought a Thunder Jaw and was like "this is probably the hardest enemy in the game".

Then I fought the bastard that digs under the ground. wtf. I beat it, but found no real good strategy for the whole fight. Could not dodge the attacks for the life of me.
Freeze him, shoot his flippers, shoot the giant green sac on his belly, shoot the engine thing on his back (which basically gets presented to you when he tunnels. And don't move around too much when he's submerged.

Lnkn52

Random gaffer who made the 'All guns blazing' Horizon video, you got a re-tweet from GG :)

95lrMSp.jpg

https://twitter.com/hermenhulst/status/839864781112758273

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgYwEvn5I0

Thats one bad ass video.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Anyone here using an SSD? What are the loading times like when fast travelling or reloading from dying?

It depends how far you're traveling. If its in the same general area its probably about ten seconds but if you're fast traveling from one end of the map to the other it will take longer, 15 to 20 seconds. This is on a normal launch PS4 and HDD so and SSD would most likely knock a lot of those times down by several seconds if not more. The game loads pretty quickly all things considered.

Steveo

Banned
So what difficulty should I start this game on? I usually play on hard by default, I played my first playthrough of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Survivalist...

So is very hard too hard on the first playthrough or should it be ok?

HStallion

So what difficulty should I start this game on? I usually play on hard by default, I played my first playthrough of Rise of the Tomb Raider on Survivalist...

Its a skill focused RPG with a big action bent and can get rather twitch oriented in some of the tougher fights against harder enemies. Are you good at games like Vanquish, Binary Domain, etc? Then hard to very hard is probably the route to go.

Skux

In on hard and it's a good challenge. You can always change the difficulty mid game and there are no difficulty related trophies.

Advice to people don't get too attach to tearblast arrows as they don't work on corrupted enemies

Hardpoint arrows are next best for rear when you got the right mode

Just finished the 3 Camps mission, Now i have to travel to meridian And damn is it far, Any advice of what i'm gonna encounter on this long journey.

calder

Hit level 40 last night and I think I found the last side mission. Going to finish that and then take on the final stretch of main missions. I'm over 40 hours in and I still haven't even found half the collectibles, so I'm looking forward to doing that after I sort out this evil villain and get human society sorted out correctly. ;)

Steveo

Banned
Its a skill focused RPG with a big action bent and can get rather twitch oriented in some of the tougher fights against harder enemies. Are you good at games like Vanquish, Binary Domain, etc? Then hard to very hard is probably the route to go.

In on hard and it's a good challenge. You can always change the difficulty mid game and there are no difficulty related trophies.

Thanks guys! Good to know you can change the difficulty mid-game. Not enough games have that feature.

rdytoroll

Wow. Just finished the game. Absolutely fantastic story. Stories in open world games often suffer, but it's wonderfully done here. Probaby one of my favorite settings ever. I'd compare it to Bioshock, in both games you're unraveling the mystery of the setting/world you're in.

I'd like to see a sequel, but I'm not sure where they would take the story.

Edit: WAIT WHAT
That after credits scene....

I just got myself a flashdrive to transfer over some of my screenshots, I am excited to share them.

The photo mode is going to add hours and hours of replay-ability for me.

Man I wish the kinda had a stash site (or Im just oblivious if they do). I know you can up grade.. But dang it.. I like to toss all my "useless" stuff in a box and come back to it if I need it.

Kraq

Just finished up the eastern third of the map at 16 hours in. Really enjoying this game so far. The best moments are when you just dive into a pack of high levelled beasts and everything starts flying everywhere. I took on a herd of Fire Bellowbacks earlier and it was chaotic goodness.

One gripe though. Why can't I buy items in bulk? Either I'm missing something, or buying 30 pieces of wire one at a time is an obvious oversight.

How do you get the "Heart of the Nora" quest to start? I feel like I've missed some content; I'm trying to get the last power cell, but I need a certain mission to proc but it won't. I'm close to the end and don't want to miss out on anything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i hate how it's become popular to shit on this game.

its popular to shit on any popular game.

anyway, I have an icon saying corrupted data on my ps4 screen now and for a second I thought it was Horizon and freaked out, but its not. No idea what it actually is tho, it has a disc symbol but the disc inside is Guitar Hero and the Guitar Hero icon is also on the menu so /shrug

its popular to shit on any popular game.

anyway, I have an icon saying corrupted data on my ps4 screen now and for a second I thought it was Horizon and freaked out, but its not. No idea what it actually is tho, it has a disc symbol but the disc inside is Guitar Hero and the Guitar Hero icon is also on the menu so /shrug

i saw it too. i just deleted it and didn't have any porblem with anything.

HStallion

i hate how it's become popular to shit on this game.

This is one of the more outright positive OT's I've seen in a while. Sure people have complained but even then a lot of them gush about what the game does right and few have been out right negative or worse trying to derail things. I'm sure there are some MRA's and Alt Right folks who are losing their shit over the fact you play as a woman in a world with strong women and a very diverse cast but that's no surprise.

This is one of the more outright positive OT's I've seen in a while. Sure people have complained but even then a lot of them gush about what the game does right and few have been out right negative or worse trying to derail things. I'm sure there are some MRA's and Alt Right folks who are losing their shit over the fact you play as a woman in a world with strong women and a very diverse cast but that's no surprise.

I've seen just about everything in the game complained about in some fashion across the web and it bothers me because most of it is hyperbole. I don't mind a game being criticized if it's deserved, regardless of what the consensus on the game is. But Horizon's criticism just seems like hype backlash.

Finished the game at 50 hours with max level, all side quests and main story complete. What an amazing game. Really enjoyed it and can't wait for more Horizon in the future hopefully. Still have collectables to get so will continue to jump in from time to time.

Tearblast don't work on corrupted enemies???
Huh? I swore I tried it nearly every time and it never worked!!!

I'm playing in hard if that does any difference

But in anyway Tearbkast are too Autopilot sometimes so it's good to venture out

I see people saying the likes of ThunderJaws and Stormbirds are really hard and then so people say "it's easy once you figure out how to" is that not what makes it so good? That it's actually skill over just sponge it.

As far as this game getting shit on, I'm not really seen it, and the people I am seen who ain't happy are not hating and seem to be given the game 7/10 at worst

Still waiting for somebody to fully beat it and give it a 5/10

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any reason not to sell your collectibles to the vendors that want them in Meridian?

anyone?

LordofPwn

I think I just have one side quest left and idk how many story missions left. lvl 50, all trophies acquired except for story ones and still need one more power cell for another trophy. 51 hours in. great game, small gripes, hope they fix and expand upon things in a sequel.

Wow. Just finished the game. Absolutely fantastic story. Stories in open world games often suffer, but it's wonderfully done here. Probaby one of my favorite settings ever. I'd compare it to Bioshock, in both games you're unraveling the mystery of the setting/world you're in.

Welcome to Horizon 2 and 3.

Zackat

I'll see you in the spoiler thread

Man some of these merchants are masochists with how they stand in extreme weather or right next to machines. It's breaking my immersion a bit if i'm being honest. Like, get these guys a tent or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom