• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
On a regular ps4 the faces look alright, everything else is straight plastic. Those opening scenes when kiddie Aloy falls in some water or whatever it's so bad.

I don't think I'd call that bad even on my launch PS4. Like if that's what bad looking is then most games are down right terrible looking in comparison lol

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So I read that there are a few extra cutscenes
if you complete certain sidequests for both the last mission (associated with the trophy) and the "fake point of no return" sunfall quest

Can anyone please spoiler-tag me what the extra cutscene in the
sunfall quest is? I have no idea what i might've missed.......... don't spoiler anything else please, just that quest!

thanks!

SlickVic

Are you just supposed to shoot regular arrows at the bellowback cargo sac to break it? Keep trying fire arrows and it seems to do nothing.

Ferrio

Banned
So tear is just regular arrows then? I thought I saw fire as a weakness for the cargo sac as well, but must not be or my aiming is even worse than I previously thought.

Cargo sack you need tear damage so any arrows that have high tear damage are good. Though some reason tear arrows themselves don't seem to work, you need tear damage.

It's weak to fire on the canisters on it's belly though.

Ferr986

The main mission structure is fucking weird in this game.

The lvl 15 mission puts you at the friggin other side of the map from where you start, ignoring a lot of areas in between them, including higher level side quests.

It also puts you close to the latest override upgrade, and far from lower upgrades. Right now I have Zeta upgrade for Thunderjaw and Stormbird without having XI lol

TsuWave

i know "days gone" didn't excite a lot of people with its reveal but today i was thinking that i would love to play against those crowds of fast moving zombies if the movement was as good as horizon's and if i had a similar arsenal of weapons. the carnage i'd cause with the tripwire and fire arrows. wow.

I'm really bad at aiming with gamepad. I've grown up playing with mouse and keyboard. When that's said I really want this game..
Should I get it?

Is it heavy on aiming? Fast enemies etc?

I haven't watched videos because I don't want to be spoiled... Barely opened this thread..

you'll be fine. you can slow down time and you can pretty much adopt a stealth like style of playing or just lay a bunch of traps and become good at dodging and kill enemies with melee attacks. there's a good few ways of tackling it the game.

Helscream

Banned
Random gaffer who made the 'All guns blazing' Horizon video, you got a re-tweet from GG :)

95lrMSp.jpg

https://twitter.com/hermenhulst/status/839864781112758273

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRgYwEvn5I0

Hermen Hulst tweeted my video?! No fucking way dude! Shit if I knew that was going to happen I would have spent more time on editing the video!

HStallion

The lvl 15 mission puts you at the friggin other side of the map from where you start, ignoring a lot of areas in between them, including higher level side quests.

It also puts you close to the latest override upgrade, and far from lower upgrades. Right now I have Zeta upgrade for Thunderjaw and Stormbird without having XI lol

I honestly think the main missions level suggestions are way too low in some cases. One of them is level 15 and has you trekking through an area full of some of the strongest robos in the game and a lot of them. You can certainly do it at lvl 15 but its gonna be rough even if you run from every single non required encounter.

i know "days gone" didn't excite a lot of people with its reveal but today i was thinking that i would love to play against those crowds of fast moving zombies if the movement was as good as horizon's and if i had a similar arsenal of weapons. the carnage i'd cause with the tripwire and fire arrows. wow.

you'll be fine. you can slow down time and you can pretty much adopt a stealth like style of playing or just lay a bunch of traps and become good at dodging and kill enemies with melee attacks. there's a good few ways of tackling it the game.

I am probably in the minority, but I have been hyped for Days Gone since the reveal trailer at E3. It would be amazing if the combat is even close to Horizon's.

Ferr986

I honestly think the main missions level suggestions are way too low in some cases. One of them is level 15 and has you trekking through an area full of some of the strongest robos in the game and a lot of them. You can certainly do it at lvl 15 but its gonna be rough even if you run from every single non required encounter.

Yeah I think it's more the placement rather than the mission itself. The mission can be easy but its placed in a way higher area.
That's why I was shocked, I need to go to the other side of the map for this lvl 15 mission, and on my way there I found my first encounter with 2 Rockbreakers. I really doubt that lvl 15 mission is harder than that lol

SlickVic

Cargo sack you need tear damage so any arrows that have high tear damage are good. Though some reason tear arrows themselves don't seem to work, you need tear damage.

It's weak to fire on the canisters on it's belly though.

Ok so this is the broken shield icon by ammo types that represents how much tear damage it gives? I'll pay attention to that the next time I play.

I just want this heavy stealth armor, but looks like I need to get a bellowback heart to buy it.

Xeteh

Ok so this is the broken shield icon by ammo types that represents how much tear damage it gives? I'll pay attention to that the next time I play.

I just want this heavy stealth armor, but looks like I need to get a bellowback heart to buy it.

You can buy the heart in Meridian if you didn't want to farm it and have the shards.

Ferrio

Banned

Ya I was in the same situation last night, didn't know how to fight them properly until after it. Also this armor with the right mods feels like cheating. Enemies lose sight of you so quickly.

Wow some of the voice clips you can listen to during the mission is providing a lot of backstory right now. Would I know everything if I didn't listen to these clips? I'm afraid I can easily miss some.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hermen Hulst tweeted my video?! No fucking way dude! Shit if I knew that was going to happen I would have spent more time on editing the video!

was that dinosaur tamed at the end of the video, when hes stomping on birds?

Alright beat my first Cauldron,Wasn't doing to good at first against the boss, But then i started using 3 hardpoint arrows at once and that saved my ass

Can anyone help me with fast travel? I just got the golden travel pack but now whenever I try to fast travel, it says that fast travel is disabled. Based off what I've read, I'm about halfway through the game. Is there a storyline reason for this that I missed or am I just doing something wrong?

Haha there you are, sorry I couldn't recall your user name and the thread moves very quick, so searching for your post would have taken a lot of time, otherwise I would have PM'ed you :p

Enjoy your new found fame ;)

Xeteh

Can anyone help me with fast travel? I just got the golden travel pack but now whenever I try to fast travel, it says that fast travel is disabled. Based off what I've read, I'm about halfway through the game. Is there a storyline reason for this that I missed or am I just doing something wrong?

Probably in the story, I'm at the end and the only time I couldn't fast travel was because of the story.

thuway

Solid 9.5/10. I have had an amazing time with the game, but it definitely has some issues that I think need to be ironed out in the second game.

1. Performance capture is an achilles heel. I don't want to sound like an echo chamber but the strange VA selections for NPCs, some pretty sloppy performances, and cut scene irregularity all contributed significantly to the story not being able to hit the meteoric heights it could have. The context and the story was incredible- but the actors and direction of the cutscenes left a lot on the table.

2. The game economy, skill list, weapons need to be expanded far more. Towards the middle of the game I'd purchased the best weapons, had more money than I knew what to do with, and was walking around aimlessly for hours looking to kill Racoons for skins. The gratification of modifications, new equipment, and the value of the shards become irrelevant very fast.

3. For all the beauty and candor of the DECIMA engine, there was a strange amount of pop-in during static talking segments. I'm sure this is an irregularity and a teething issue of an entirely new engine- but I'm hoping the "jank" can be shrug off in the sequel.

4. Major plot points were completely lost on me because multiple voice samples would start talking on top of each other. If something important is being said- make sure there isn't an interactive element within spitting distance that obstructs comprehension of the narrative.

5. Artificial limitations need to be put around the player so they don't end up maxing out the level cap and completing all the Cauldrons before they even hit the 4th story level. (This is what happened to me). The gradual introduction of new enemy types, weapons, etc. was lost on me because my curiosity let me ignore every thing to become omnipotent in the game world.

6. Cauldrons could be so so so so so so so much more!!! I'd love to see players flex their mental muscles, fight cauldron specific enemy types, and have actual boss fights completely seperate from the main game.

7. Finally, Melee combat was a complete and total missed opportunity. The unique combat system was so intricate and creative, that when it came to melee- it literally felt like spam X and hit critical point.
-------------

With all that complaining - I spent 80 hours almost into the game world, and it says something when your biggest complaint is: I WANT MORE. I NEED MORE. What an amazing game.

hydruxo

I thought it was pretty cool that they have you go all the way across the map. Gives you that feeling of adventure and taking an actual journey to
Meridian
. They basically are encouraging you to explore on the way.

Drewfonse

The weirdest thing going happened to me during my play through. I went from "oh my god, this is one of my all time favorites" during the first ten or so hours, to just plowing throughout the last 5-6 story missions just to finish it. Lowered the difficulty from hard to normal to speed up the process.

Complete 180.

I'm not sure why, but I tired of the gameplay loop, the narrative, pretty much everything but the visuals. I still really liked the game, but my estimation of it gradually diminished as I played more.

JJShadow

Only thing is ask for the sequel is fucking unlimited inventory space, that's all I need to be a happy gamer Guerrilla

I think it's a stupid decision to give you such a limited inventory when the game is so strongly focused on gathering and collecting stuff

geomon

Ropecaster Bro and fire arrows and sticky bombs

I was doing well against the Stormbird (didn't have sticky bombs at the time), then 2 Longlegs showed up. So I dealt with them while dodging the Stormbird's dive attacks. Just as there's a little more than a quarter of health left for the Stormbird, 4 fucking Glinthawks show up at the same time.

By then I was out of health potions, my medicinal herb bar is nearly gone and at that point I just said fuck it and ran.

Also, the fucking Glinthawks will chase you for seemingly miles. Fuck!

Kaizer

Banned
Man, this one Hunting Ground trial to tie down Glinthawks with the Ropecaster has been kicking my ass. I can't get past a Full Sun. The damn Tramplers always get in the way & I can only get down two Glinthawks in 1 minute 30 seconds.

Man, this one Hunting Ground trial to tie down Glinthawks with the Ropecaster has been kicking my ass. I can't get past a Full Sun. The damn Tramplers always get in the way & I can only get down two Glinthawks in 1 minute 30 seconds.

You can perform the critical strike twice on the same glinthawk.

Bit of a long musing about side-quests, collectibles, and gameplay loops: In regards to the side-quests, that whilst they're often not up at top tier F:NV or TW3 writing standard (outside of beautifully designed and individual NPCs), I do find that they at least take you to areas that might have some interesting enemy combinations, or combat situations you might not run into typically. I know that's something most open world games try to do at with their side-quets, but I feel like Horizon is particularly good at it. I didn't love collecting Metal Flowers at first, but after having a really rough time spotting them originally, I realized they were always going to be found in spots that were the most enemy dense or with an odd enemy combination. Going on a flower hunt and running into two goddamn Thunderjaws was certainly unexpected, or having the wade through a tropical forest surrounded by Sawtooths to find a flower. I do love collecting Banuk figures, though, as the platforming that leads to them is fun, plus some great views. The challenges getting to a Tallneck are great, and my crowning idiot moment of the year was choosing not to rappel off a Tallneck and just trying to jump down onto a platform instead. I missed the platform, died, and had to redo the area, which was crawling with Snapmaws. The Hunter Trials are clever, too, as they teach you to be much more efficient about interacting with enemies.

All of this is to say that I find the gameplay loop and clever enemy placement set-up makes up for the side-quest writing (that isn't to say it isn't enjoyable, and is still above the usual Bethesda fare). At any rate, something must be working, because I'm at 56.19% completion, 40hrs in at Lvl. 38, and I've only spent five minutes on the Meridian main quest. I may have to jump up to Very Hard for the main quest. I keep thinking I need to get back on it all, but then I see there is a flower on the map, and am curious to see what kind of challenge GG will put me through to get. I do have a bit of a love/hate relationship with open world games, as I usually happily take story focus over gameplay freedom and find I get bored with the gameplay loops. For me to find myself actively avoiding the main quest so much in favor of being addicted to the gameplay loop is really surprising. I think it's the sheer variety of it all that's addictive, and the unpredictable nature of the enemies interacting with each other in the world. I've had so many moments where I've gone 'no issue whatsoever, this will be easy, everything is under control'.... and then the world is on fire.

The sense of personal progression in combat is so fucking satisfying, too, because the right tools definitely help, but it's also knowing how to apply them. I was really anxious dealing with a lot of the enemies at first, but then you learn or acquire the tools to take them down efficiently. (I think Tramplers are my least favorite enemy, bunch of bellowing assholes.) I haven't managed to kill my first Stormbird yet, but if you told me a few hours of gameplay ago that killing Thunderjaws and Rockbreakers is fairly stress free, I wouldn't have believed you. That being said, I haven't taken on those two Thunderjaws simultaneously, so there's still a lot of opportunity for disaster! Speaking of Thunderjaws, taking the heavy weapons off of enemies is stupidly, stupidly fun. I always wander off with whatever weapon is left over, and go looking for some poor unsuspecting enemy to use it on. I'm a monster.

It also never stops being fucking spectacular looking up at seeing a Tallneck plodding along in the distance. The draw distance is insane. It makes my breath catch every time.

Aloy is still wonderfully likeable, too, and Burch always makes her dialogue sound genuine and naturalistic. Aloy could have easily been too over the top, annoying, narmy, etc, but she's understated and believable. She's charming and compelling, and I was never, ever expecting to like her as much as I do. I'm also looking forward to delving into the main story - my biggest (and obvious) question is who or what made these fucking robots, and what for? What asshole designed a panther/leopard/robot thingy, gave it the ability to snipe, go invisible, and throw mines, and went, 'yep, this won't end badly at all!' I love watching the more grazer-type robots uprooting grass and the soil, and I enjoy the logical purpose to what they do. I like to think Thunderjaws were specifically designed to fuck up trees out of spite, and all the devastating weaponry was an afterthought after tree-fucking-up priority.

Oh, god, this was the bane of my existence for awhile - and gave me a long standing vindictive hatred of Tramplers. I think I got it with five seconds to spare! The best positioning I found was being on an elevated level on the cliff side near where you jump down (ie. the merchant/quest giver is kinda above you). Inevitably, you'll have to jump down to crit strike the Glinthawks, but you're kind of protected until then. You can also crit strike the same Glinthawk as many times as it has health left, even if the final strike kills it - I could only get two strikes off one Glinthawk before killing it, but I've seen a video where people were able to get three. At first I thought you had to crit strike different Glinthawks, but thankfully not.

Gradly

So XI machines not included implicitly by doing higher level one?

And yea the game doesn't tell you things specifically and that's why I read all the tips and non spoilerish guides beforehand so I mange things from the start, knowing what outfits and weapons to get, what best direction to tackle the missions for better story build up, points of no return, things not to miss in order to get all trophies, etc I don't like going fully blind haha

Dr.Sanchez

Neo Member
Finished my 1st playthrough on hard. Great game. One of the problems I had however had to do with how dull some of the side quests were. If they couldn't allocate the resources in time to make a decent side quest at least make the rewards gratifying. A rewards box just doesn't cut it.

zulux21

7. Finally, Melee combat was a complete and total missed opportunity. The unique combat system was so intricate and creative, that when it came to melee- it literally felt like spam X and hit critical point.
-------------

but X is the jump button.

r1 and r2 are the attack buttons :3

and I mean yes melee could be better, but at the same time it's clear it was never meant to be the focus of combat.

Hey everyone ... I don't know whether to buy the Nora survivor heavy now or wait until I get to meridian in case there are better outfits? Are there?

HStallion

So what do people think was the hardest hunting ground trial to get a Blazing Sun in? Mine is either the one to take out two stalkers. That one was a bitch with all the other machines running around that would get involved and the fact that it could be incredibly hard keeping track of not one but two stalkers and having to take them down in such a short amount of time.

I actually had to cheese that trial a bit by clearing the area out before even starting the trial and the placing a ton of trip wires of all varieties right under the spot where the two Stalkers would always spawn and then drop down from. One was basically right on death's door when I took out the first which also suffered serious damage from the trip wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom