• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

nem8

Neo Member
I'm really bad at aiming with gamepad. I've grown up playing with mouse and keyboard. When that's said I really want this game..
Should I get it?

Is it heavy on aiming? Fast enemies etc?

I haven't watched videos because I don't want to be spoiled... Barely opened this thread..

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm really bad at aiming with gamepad. I've grown up playing with mouse and keyboard. When that's said I really want this game..
Should I get it?

I haven't watched videos because I don't want to be spoiled... Barely opened this thread..

yes its very heavy on aiming, more so than most because most times you have to hit specific parts of enemies. Reminds me of Ded Space in that way.

Guys, collectibles: sell to vendors or do I need them for something else? I want to leave
meridian
lol

yes its very heavy on aiming, more so than most because most times you have to hit specific parts of enemies. Reminds me of Ded Space in that way.

Guys, collectibles: sell to vendors or do I need them for something else? I want to leave
meridian
lol
I just sell all the stuff that tells you to sell for shards.

AudioEppa

Holy fuck.

I fought a Thunder Jaw and was like "this is probably the hardest enemy in the game".

Then I fought the bastard that digs under the ground. wtf. I beat it, but found no real good strategy for the whole fight. Could not dodge the attacks for the life of me.

I stayed on top of a mountain and killed it from there. No way was I going down on the ground lol

Mindlog

Should I get it?

Can't give you an answer, but maybe some helpful information.

There are times when you want to make rapid precision shots, but there are also tools to make that easier (slowing down time.)

You aren't really punished for playing the game on easy.

Right behind Bloodborne for my personal PS4 favorite.

Ferrio

Banned
Do you get more experience on harder difficulties? My main quests are like level 15, but I'm level 24 right now and I've only done a handful of side quests.

Should I get it?

I'm in the same boat as you, and aiming in this game is infuriating since I know I'd be magnitudes better with a mouse and keyboard. I get by though, lots of stealthing and using the slow mo skill.

p3n

Should I get it?

Well, I HATE console shooters. Aiming with accelated and deadzoned indirect stick-directions infuriates me. I had to play Uncharted 4 with snap-aiming to make it tolerable.

Horizon has a decent aim-assist. It will ruin any leading you do for targets in lateral movement (it negates the lead). It helps with flying or erratic moving enemies A LOT. But overall...the concentration mechanic (bullet-time) makes it tolerable for me. I would even say I enjoyed it very much. The first time I enjoyed a console "shooter" since (ironically) Killzone 2.

nem8

Neo Member

meridian
lol

Can't give you an answer, but maybe some helpful information.

There are times when you want to make rapid precision shots, but there are also tools to make that easier (slowing down time.)

You aren't really punished for playing the game on easy.

Right behind Bloodborne for my personal PS4 favorite.

Thanks, not sure I'm closer to a decision tho. I'm gonna borrow Uncharted 4 from a friend so I'll see how that works out..

Edit: thanks for your reply (above), it kinda sounds like I would be able to play it without feeling totally useless.. I'm not a complete stranger to FPS on console, played a few on xb360

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I just sell all the stuff that tells you to sell for shards.

these are the various collectibles you get, the banuk statues, the metal flowers etc, not the random loot, there are special vendors for them.

Also, this dude in the
hunter's lodge
sure is a huge piece of shit

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm in the same boat as you, and aiming in this game is infuriating since I know I'd be magnitudes better with a mouse and keyboard. I get by though, lots of stealthing and using the slow mo skill.

It honestly depends on the game. Horizon Zero Dawn would probably be an absolute joke even on Very Hard if you could use a mouse to aim.

Got the Platinum. Now I'm sad.

Wow. Just finished the game. Absolutely fantastic story. Stories in open world games often suffer, but it's wonderfully done here. Probaby one of my favorite settings ever. I'd compare it to Bioshock, in both games you're unraveling the mystery of the setting/world you're in.

I'd like to see a sequel, but I'm not sure where they would take the story.

Edit: WAIT WHAT
That after credits scene....

To the spoiler thread for the both of you!

these are the various collectibles you get, the banuk statues, the metal flowers etc, not the random loot, there are special vendors for them.

Also, this dude in the
hunter's lodge

No need to hang on to them although the rewards you get for them are not that great.

Xeteh

Also, this dude in the
hunter's lodge

The collectibles are for selling to the vendors that want them in Meridian. No other reason to hold on to them.

I don't have any problem with the aim in this game, and you have so many opportunities to slow it down.

The only issue with the controls is how the weapon wheel works in conjunction with the dodging mechanics and using potions. It's too many button presses for a split second decision and it feels a bit sloppy. When you're fighting the larger enemies for example, you are almost always constantly pressing Circle to dodge, and if you take damage you have to thumb to your potions, and in some cases you want to switch weapons while doing this. I've had a lot of instances where I've selected the wrong arrow in the heat of the moment.

So while I don't think aiming will be tremendously different with a mouse, the whole weapon and ability system will be way better with hotkeys on a keyboard.

Rhaknar

The collectibles are for selling to the vendors that want them in Meridian. No other reason to hold on to them.

No need to hang on to them although the rewards you get for them are not that great.

thank you sirs...err or madams, I dunno, its the internet, you are all figments of my imagination as far as I know.

pixxxelz

Holy fuck.

I fought a Thunder Jaw and was like "this is probably the hardest enemy in the game".

Then I fought the bastard that digs under the ground. wtf. I beat it, but found no real good strategy for the whole fight. Could not dodge the attacks for the life of me.
I had the same reaction lol, but if you stand still when they go underground they won't find you, (someone told me this earlier in the thread) easy way to defeat them is to just load 3 arrows with the sharpshooter bow and as soon as they come up shoot them in their weak spot, I have more trouble defeating those god darn stalkers tbh.

HStallion

That's a bad look if the difficulty of this game is only because of awkward controls.

I think you misunderstand me. The controls work perfectly fine and do exactly what they need to but the entire games combat mechanics are designed with the fact you're using a controller with analogue sticks for aiming. If you were able to do split second high precision aiming it would basically break the entire game and make it an absolute cakewalk. There is a reason there are so many abilities to slow down time built into the upgrade trees. My larger point is that keyboard and mouse doesn't somehow make games better, especially when they were never designed for it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Too full of resources even maxed out. But I'm hesitant to sell stacks in case I need them. 5 stacks each of wood, blaze, chillwater and metal vessels, along with lots of lenses, hearts and animal bits.

Are animal bits only used for crafting carrying capacity (except for fatty meat for health potions)?

For those who have HDR enabled when playing, and also taken screenshots via USB to your computer, how much differently do the pictures look? I am kind of worried what I saw in-game is going to be drastically different

HStallion

Too full of resources even maxed out. But I'm hesitant to sell stacks in case I need them. 5 stacks each of wood, blaze, chillwater and metal vessels, along with lots of lenses, hearts and animal bits.

Are animal bits only used for crafting carrying capacity (except for fatty meat for health potions)?

Certain weapons, outfits and items require animal parts to purchase, same with robo hearts. The unlimited fast travel back and Shadow Warbow for example.

CHC

The focus ability really helps mitigate the difficulty of aiming without assist on. Plus sometimes I enjoy missing because it makes the eventual hit that much sweeter, especially when it results in a massive blaze-splosion.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Should I get it?

There is a helpful mechanic that allows you to slow time to fine tune aiming that should be beneficial for you.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but if you're level 50, the game doesn't show you xp modifiers for kills and special kills anymore.

For instance, killing a human NPC with a headshot will no longer tell you that you performed a headshot.

It will still track the headshots in your stats but won't display it on the kill.

Should I get it?

Just start playing, the controls are good and becomes easy to aim with certain skills that you unlock. Gameplay is fluid and exciting and the controls go well to supplement that.

neoglow

Banned
Should I get it?

XIM 4 is your friend.

Just been updated for Horizon too.

nem8

Neo Member
There is a helpful mechanic that allows you to slow time to fine tune aiming that should be beneficial for you.
I bit the bullet and placed an order.. Worst case scenario I can sell it used I guess, but sounds like it will work out for me. :D

Not sure if anyone noticed, but if you're level 50, the game doesn't show you xp modifiers for special kills anymore.

For instance, killing a human NPC with a headshot will no longer tell you that you performed a headshot.

It will still track the headshots in your stats but won'rt display it on the kill.

Just start playing, the controls are good and becomes easy to aim with certain skills that you unlock. Gameplay is fluid and exciting and the controls go well to supplement that.

Noticed this last night. I think it stops displaying XP entirely for kills. Still see it for quests, but that's it.

On a related note, I still need another ~8 skill points to fill out the tree, even at level 50. I've done all the hunting grounds quests. I'm guessing there must be more story related skill points...

Should I get it?

Honestly it's ultimately about being properly prepared for a fight and using the right tools for the job when dealing with the machines. I'm playing with a keyboard and mouse (via XIM device) and it doesn't make things that much easier. Also note that there is no aim look sensitivity slider option in the game.

neoglow

Banned
Honestly it's ultimately about being properly prepared for a fight and using the right tools for the job when dealing with the machines. I'm playing with a keyboard and mouse (via XIM device) and it doesn't make things that much easier.

XIM makes it a thousand times better for me. Grew up on kb and mse. I can't aim for shit with a controller.

Skux

Controls are fine. It's really not about your skill in aiming since there's the slowdown mechanic. It's more about what you choose to aim for and your overall battle strategy.

TTG

Here's all the Guerrilla GDC presentations I could find:

Introducing Decima: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/decima

GPU Compute for procedural placement of flora & fauna: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/gpu-based-procedural-placement-in-horizon-zero-dawn

Creating a (totally new) tools pipeline for Horizon Zero Dawn: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/creating-a-tools-pipeline-for-horizon-zero-dawn

Player traversal mechanics in the vast world of Horizon Zero Dawn: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/rea...hanics-in-the-vast-world-of-horizon-zero-dawn

Building non linear narratives: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/building-non-linear-narratives-in-horizon-zero-dawn

Meanwhile at Bethesda:

97VP

But really, even with all the resources in the world, the range of technical competence from studio to studio is enormous.

Horizon isn't among the best(Rockstar, Ass Creed) aesthetically, something about depth of field and conveying space, and those plastic looking skin textures, but technically it's a marvel.

I finally have 1,000 shards so can buy some decent armour!!

I've two questions: is Nora survivor heavy better than the silent? It's more expensive but does it give better protection?

Second question if someone could help.... what items should I Never sell. I have watched hearts and grazer lens and all manner of stuff but how do you know if you won't suddenly need six of them to buy a bow ?

HStallion

Meanwhile at Bethesda:

97VP

But really, even with all the resources in the world, the range of technical competence from studio to studio is enormous.

Horizon isn't among the best(Rockstar, Ass Creed) aesthetically, something about depth of field and conveying space, and those plastic looking skin textures, but technically it's a marvel.

Are you playing on a Pro because the skin textures on that are god damned amazing looking. The amount you can zoom in and the details in everything from wrinkles to the pores is pretty damn outstanding.

I finally have 1,000 shards so can buy some decent armour!!

I've two questions: is Nora survivor heavy better than the silent? It's more expensive but does it give better protection?

Second question if someone could help.... what items should I Never sell. I have watched hearts and grazer lens and all manner of stuff but how do you know if you won't suddenly need six of them to buy a bow ?

For protection? Absolutely. Stealth armor barely gives any protection.

You'll never need 6 of anything, at best keep hearts and animal skins since they are rarer than lens and bones.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There are DEFINITELY more pop-ins since the patch. Not just in the open world but especially during ingame-cutscenes. Faces pop-in mid speech. What did they do?! I didn't notice a single pop-in before the patch, multiple times since.

Noticed this last night. I think it stops displaying XP entirely for kills. Still see it for quests, but that's it.

On a related note, I still need another ~8 skill points to fill out the tree, even at level 50. I've done all the hunting grounds quests. I'm guessing there must be more story related skill points...

A lot of Main Story quests give skill points as rewards indeed.

Anung

Un Rama
Goddamn I'm destroying Thunderjaws now like they are nothing. The first one trashed me until I ran away but now I can steal there weapons and shoot there hearts like it's going out of style.

Stormbirds are still a war of attrition though.

thuway

Holy fuck.

Use your elements - IE - Freeze // Electricity. Once he's frozen completely, use a Blast Bomb on him until he falls. He's pretty easy actually.

Holy shit. All done, including the platinum trophy.

This game is wonderful and has destroyed my productivity for the past week or so. Definitely worth it. Guess I should go do some real world stuff now..

Should I get it?

I am pretty terrible at aiming with anything and I feel fine with this game. You can slow down time to hit certain parts and the shooting/aiming feels pretty solid and tight. I have trouble headshotting enemies in lots of FPSs but I haven't felt held back in this game at all.

Rhaknar

where do you get fish bones anyway? I havent seen any fish in the water, but granted I havent been swiming much

TTG

Are you playing on a Pro because the skin textures on that are god damned amazing looking. The amount you can zoom in and the details in everything from wrinkles to the pores is pretty damn outstanding.

On a regular ps4 the faces look alright, everything else is straight plastic. Those opening scenes when kiddie Aloy falls in some water or whatever it's so bad.

Hold on to everything until you get to Meridian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom