• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just beat the mission, Deep Secrets of the Earth...

Guys, HOLY SHIT. This games writing is smart. This story is fucking smart. This is what Kojima wishes he could execute a story like.

I need to keep playing!

The awkwardness with some of the context sensitive stuff like grabbing onto a ledge and climbing out of water is starting to annoy me. I've fallen down a lot of drops by not catching the "drop to ledge" prompt", and Aloy sometimes randomly dives in the water instead of rolling off to the side.

I'm also surprised there is no skill to lower the amount of time she gets stunned.

kiaaa

Literally no reason to neglect the story in this game. You can go back after you beat it and do everything.

I think a lot of people (including me) find that going back to a game after you've beaten the story is more difficult than just doing everything before hand.

lumi7890

Guys, HOLY SHIT. This games writing is smart. This story is fucking smart. This is what Kojima wishes he could execute a story like.

I need to keep playing!
Without getting into spoilers, I'm starting to understand why kojima & guerilla get along so well.

vypek

I think a lot of people (including me) find that going back to a game after you've beaten the story is more difficult than just doing everything before hand.

Yeah. Usually after I beat a story I don't like to go do stuff afterwards. I have always had a tendency to do side stuff first and the quests, errands and so forth are entertaining in this game for the most part so I ended up doing a ton of them until I had to go on with the story.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Checked my save, 20 hours. That sounds about right. Only did a couple of side quests and odd jobs today :(

SilentFlyer

Man, this one Hunting Ground trial to tie down Glinthawks with the Ropecaster has been kicking my ass. I can't get past a Full Sun. The damn Tramplers always get in the way & I can only get down two Glinthawks in 1 minute 30 seconds.

What I did was, as soon as I slide down the rope, I head to far left on rocks, and starts targeting Glinthawks. Once you have their attention, they will come toward you, and you can easily complete the trial there without having to worry about Tramplers attacking you.

mileS

I'm surprised not many other people are complaining that the camera is always adjusting Aloy to the right side of the screen. It happens if you get in a tight space or pan the camera around while running. It's just it has a tendency to put her on the right most of the time. The problem here is there is no shortcut to put it back without aiming a weapon or hitting your focus. It also means theres more of a jarring transition when you do bring a weapon up to aim because the camera has to fly back in place over a further distance.

Wollan

I actually like the melee in its simplicity. It has a satisfying feel when it lands with sparks and vibration (it might even be freezing the frame purposely Zelda style to indicate a hit but this might be placebo). If anything it's over-powered. Doesn't really seem like the right game where you want lock-ons and an advanced moveset. The melee is there to fend off & push aside close encounters, something you should avoid in the first place with these mechanical beasts.

I'm surprised not many other people are complaining that the camera is always adjusting Aloy to the right side of the screen. It happens if you get in a tight space or pan the camera around while running. It's just it has a tendency to put her on the right most of the time. The problem here is there is no shortcut to put it back without aiming a weapon or hitting your focus. It also means theres more of a jarring transition when you do bring a weapon up to aim because the camera has to fly back in place over a further distance.

Oh, I've been bitching about it several times already. It's totally annoying and I don't get why people don't seem bothered with it. She's right-handed, just put the pov to the right as usual and let it stay there, or put it in the middle. What's so hard about it ffs.

BxtJCXP.gif

Zackat

I actually like the melee in its simplicity. It has a satisfying feel when it lands with sparks and vibration (it might even be freezing the frame purposely Zelda style to indicate a hit but this might be placebo). If anything it's over-powered. Doesn't really seem like the right game where you want lock-ons and an advanced moveset. The melee is there to fend off & push aside close encounters, something you should avoid in the first place with these mechanical beasts.
I feel like having more melee options might open up more human v human options. As of right now you just obliterate them with headshots and fire arrows. Just make the melee less effective against machines.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
In my dream of a sequel some time has passed and humans have adapted to working and using the machines so you could have Aloy riding into battle on a Thunderjaw against a bunch of Striders and Broadhorns ridden by an enemy tribe shooting arrows and accompanied by other robos like Watchers and Glint Hawks. So fighting the humans would hopefully be more of a focus and more interesting because they're directly involved in robot combat in cool ways like a bunch of people riding a Tall Neck decked out in weapons all around the disk on top.

Feel free to rip off all my ideas if you're reading this thread GG if you aren't already doing this!

Xeteh

Where's the best place to farm Blaze? The hunter lodge grazer trials?

Grazers with Harvester Arrows. Stealth kill the Grazers and before you loot them shoot the canisters off with the Harvester Arrows. You get 6 per canister instead of just 1.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Where's the best place to farm Blaze? The hunter lodge grazer trials?

Or any Grazer site, but at least at the trial, you don't have to worry about other machines except the Watchers positioned to guard over the Grazer herd.

On the Grave-Hoard story mission at about 24 hours in. Just having a blast being in this world. After slaughtering wildlife tonight and last night I've finally finished all the carrying capacity upgrades, thank goodness.

Now I've got a veritable mountain of side quests and errands to work on!

Skux

Grazers with Harvester Arrows. Stealth kill the Grazers and before you loot them shoot the canisters off with the Harvester Arrows. You get 6 per canister instead of just 1.

Thanks. I always find myself running low on it because fire just seems to be good against almost everything, and it's used not just for fire traps and arrows but also any explosives like blast bombs and sticky bombs.

ElyrionX

Just starting out and resources bag is filling fast. What do I sell and what do I keep? (Yes I know you can upgrade the bag)

Also, is gear and loot entirely randomized or is it possible to miss powerful stuff if I am not thorough or if I make the wrong choices?

Asking again because I didn't get a reply a while back.

Havok1313

Came across my first Thunderjaw... I think I'll wait a while before I try that again. And maybe actually have some healing items on me.

Kaizer

Banned
Oh, god, this was the bane of my existence for awhile - and gave me a long standing vindictive hatred of Tramplers. I think I got it with five seconds to spare! The best positioning I found was being on an elevated level on the cliff side near where you jump down (ie. the merchant/quest giver is kinda above you). Inevitably, you'll have to jump down to crit strike the Glinthawks, but you're kind of protected until then. You can also crit strike the same Glinthawk as many times as it has health left, even if the final strike kills it - I could only get two strikes off one Glinthawk before killing it, but I've seen a video where people were able to get three. At first I thought you had to crit strike different Glinthawks, but thankfully not.

You can perform the critical strike twice on the same glinthawk.

Will have to keep these in mind the next time I attempt it, I feel like I've only been able to get one critical strike off on the Glinthawks because the Tramplers are always running around charging me & damaging the fallen Glinthawks along the way.

aristotle

Asking again because I didn't get a reply a while back.

Gear/loot is random. Keep skins and bones from animals until you upgrade all of your carrying capacities. Upgrade the resource bag first above everything else.

Once you want to upgrade your weapons/armor, just go to a merchant and zero in on what items are needed to buy the upgrades. Lens and hearts are needed for awhile, but once you have an idea of what you need, you can just sell everything. Remember you can create jobs to help you keep track of what you need to buy an upgrade in the merchant menu. Invest in the Tinker skill as well so you don't destroy mods in your weapons/armor. Sell mods when you get higher tier ones.

I think that's the main jist of it.

Xeteh

Just beat the game and got the platinum. Beat it with all the trophies except for the knock down 23 grazer dummy one so it was easy to finish up. Man, I loved the story and I'd love a sequel down the road, the world is awesome and Aloy turned out to be a great character. The whole adventure was super fun.

I need to keep playing!

It just keeps getting better. Trust me. Once I got to around that point I HAD TO know what was going to happen, so I just stopped all the side stuff I was doing to finish the story.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so 1 shotting watchers in the eye with an arrow will get old any day now right? You know, since its the first enemy in the game and all.

any day now...

...nope, still awesome every time.

Gear/loot is random. Keep skins and bones from animals until you upgrade all of your carrying capacities. Upgrade the resource bag first above everything else.

Once you want to upgrade your weapons/armor, just go to a merchant and zero in on what items are needed to buy the upgrades. Lens and hearts are needed for awhile, but once you have an idea of what you need, you can just sell everything. Remember you can create jobs to help you keep track of what you need to buy an upgrade in the merchant menu. Invest in the Tinker skill as well so you don't destroy mods in your weapons/armor. Sell mods when you get higher tier ones.

I think that's the main jist of it.

you can upgrade weapons and armor? and im just finding this out now 20 hours in? >_>

V1ctIm

Neo Member
So you have no choice but wait until very near the end of the game in order to get the
ancient armor
? Makes sense, but is still bothersome.

Also, this game is utterly astonishing technically and frighteningly based in reality from a story standpoint. Absolutely monumental achievement by GG.

DukeBobby

I need to keep playing!

Just finished this mission myself.

Wow, talk about an info dump! I was totally gripped by it, though. It's also one of the few times in a game where I actually enjoyed listening to audio diaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom