• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Are there only 3 hunting grounds or have I completely missed/not found 2 of them?

you're missing two.

50h Plat done! First ever plat. That post-credit scene was TOTALLY
expected. Like, I 100% expected that to be a thing that happens. I also fully expect Horizon 2 to end with a boss fight against a Horus.

G-Bus

Banned
Thanks guys.

40 hours in and I still haven't explored the whole map.

Most time I've sank into a game this gen and I still want more. Kudos GG.

DLC please!

Question 4 u, Gaf.

Do the Strike +15%/+30% damage skill points do anything for critical strikes?

Yes, it says so too in the description of the skills.

Im hoping this sci fi mumbo jumbo wraps up soon so i can back to the gameplay. It feels like its been one big info dump ever since Lt. Daniels showed up.

When its all done ill just read a wiki because im all the way checked out on the backstory.

Sci fi mumbo jumbo?

The story is one of the best parts in the game.

smh

Kvik

I spent almost an hour hunting for a raccoon skin (two, actually) and nothing drops except raccoon bones. Yes, with harvesting arrows.

RNG gods has forsaken me.

I haven't even even finished the story yet and I can already tell that this might just be my favourite science fiction narrative in a game.

I spent almost an hour hunting for a raccoon skin (two, actually) and nothing drops except raccoon bones. Yes, with harvesting arrows.

Make it a quest, i think they'll give you zones on the map whare you can kill a raccoon and they will drop that

Yes, it says so too in the description of the skills.

Sci fi mumbo jumbo?

The story is one of the best parts in the game.

smh

The tribal/first 20 hours of the game has been some of the BEST video game storytelling ever. Im completely engaged, remembering names and actually giving a shit what happens to people like Varl and Errand.

But that story is detached from a secondary story that has the video game playbook and is checking all the boxes. Voice in your ear telling you to do stuff (check). Piles of audio diaries in a row (check). Massive info dump cutscenes (check). I think all of this stuff might be interesting...in Horizon 2.

TsuWave

Damn, is the tripcaster the most useless weapon in the game?

Nearly every other weapon offers a more viable alternative than dangling those silly cables in front of a charging enemy.

As for trapping, I can count on one finger the times I've successfully lured a herd into a bunch of cables

tripcaster is awesome. the blast wire does a ton of damage.

Ferrio

Banned
The tribal/first 20 hours of the game has been some of the BEST video game storytelling ever. Im completely engaged, remembering names and actually giving a shit what happens to people like Varl and Errand.

But that story is detached from a secondary story that has the video game playbook and is checking all the boxes. Voice in your ear telling you to do stuff (check). Piles of audio diaries in a row (check). Massive info dump cutscenes (check). I think all of this stuff might be interesting...in Horizon 2.

This is my beef as well. I didn't like the start of the game, but at least the narrative was well told. Once you hit halfway it's just exposition dump after exposition dump filled with audio logs and characters repeating what you just learned. Throw a couple of the same damn boring human enemies between and boom there's the story.

Also the build up to what
Zero Dawn
is silly. They really stretch that one out as if it's some big reveal. The characters downright taunt the player about the mystery.

So euhm, i went all the way up the map and

after the stormbird animation i went up some more and found the ruin. I howevrr cant seem to see where i have to climb the last tiny bit. I see wooden planks above me with an entrance but i cant seem to find more gripping stuff. Is it because I'm not far into the story that its blocked or should i searxh some more?

I haven't even even finished the story yet and I can already tell that this might just be my favourite science fiction narrative in a game.

As far as this whole theme of the game goes (
catastrophic human extinction and reseeding via cloning
), it's admittedly one of the more interesting takes on it. It also manages to make its protagonist's motivations very realistic
(a young person searching for answers about her origin, only to find out she plays a role in saving the day on a global scale)

LNBL

Gaf forgive me. I don't own a PS4 and probably won't own 2 consoles in the future either, so i have just started watching a playthrough series on Youtube. I needed to see what all the hype was about ;_;

This is my beef as well. I didn't like the start of the game, but at least the narrative was well told. Once you hit halfway it's just exposition dump after exposition dump filled with audio logs and characters repeating what you just learned. Throw a couple of the same damn boring human enemies between and boom there's the story.

By the third
board room hologram
I had already started skipping all of Lt. Daniels from The Wire's cutscenes..I was like..okay, ill read the wiki

In any other game i would hate the last 1/4 of this game but it built up so much goodwill that im giving it a pass. The majority of the story here, and the side missions, are really strong and will be memorable.

Nearly every other weapon offers a more viable alternative than dangling those silly cables in front of a charging enemy.

As for trapping, I can count on one finger the times I've successfully lured a herd into a bunch of cables.

The Nora hunting grounds don't count cause their paths are scripted by the terrain.
I do my best to set up a bunch of traps before every ambush. Especially if it's multiple enemies and something big.

dieter

Neo Member

after the stormbird animation i went up some more and found the ruin. I howevrr cant seem to see where i have to climb the last tiny bit. I see wooden planks above me with an entrance but i cant seem to find more gripping stuff. Is it because I'm not far into the story that its blocked or should i searxh some more?

I think I know where you are, I had the same problem since it wasn't very clear. There is a little plank you have to run and jump over, then you are on a little ledge with water below, don't fall into the water. You have to run (click stick) and catch the ledge on the far side. It is dark, and I couldn't spot a way to do it without running, but there is definitely a ledge there you can grab onto, and then another ledge higher on the right to get you up. I take it you are on the mission that took you the ruin and aren't just exploring?

Kvik

Make it a quest, i think they'll give you zones on the map whare you can kill a raccoon and they will drop that

I did make an errand out of it, but it's not highlighting the area like if you need machine parts. I'll keep trying though.

Also for a change of pace, I cleared a level 25 bandit camp with full stealth. I left the heavy bandit with the Firespitter for last. Aloy wearing a fully kitted stealth armor helps a lot.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Does it really? I tried to do that and didn't notice anything special on the map. I thought it was just to help keep track of what you need, not to get guaranteed drop. Man that's a gamechanger...

hydruxo

Yeah for the cauldrons
literally all I would do is set up all my shock traps / detonation traps / etc., then put down tripwires everywhere. I never used the consumable traps outside of the cauldrons so I just put those all around the bubble where the final machine was. Poor Thunderjaw never even had a chance lmao.

I keep saying the same thing, but as I unlock more and more of the story, the audio logs continue to be superb. The voice work/pacing still manages to be better than in the main cutscenes. Hugely memorable moment from the G
rave-Hoard
bunker -
I'd heard a man's audio log earlier on in the bunker, then stumbled on the two from a woman, where she talks about how her lover's previous messages have been cut together, so they could pretend he was still alive. Then I walked over to hear the boyfriend/husband's butchered messages, and realized that it was the same man I'd heard earlier. I had horrified goosebumps.

It was a disturbing moment, and a great world building one. It said a lot about the desperate state of the world without exposition dumping.

As for trapping, I can count on one finger the times I've successfully lured a herd into a bunch of cables.

The Nora hunting grounds don't count cause their paths are scripted by the terrain.

I found it extremely useful when dealing with packs of enemies I was going to have trouble crowd controlling, or if I was suddenly juggling a few more enemies than I needed to. Or I'd use it to defend my back whilst I was taking out enemies at the front. I don't use it as much any more, as I can take down a robot fairly quick, but it's definitely been useful in a few corruption zones.

I died and have been stuck on the loading screen for 15 minutes now...
quit the game twice and the loading screen will still not pass ~50%...

Any ideas?

As far as this whole theme of the game goes (
catastrophic human extinction and reseeding via cloning
), it's admittedly one of the more interesting takes on it. It also manages to make its protagonist's motivations very realistic
(a young person searching for answers about her origin, only to find out she plays a role in saving the day on a global scale)

I agree. The story touches on some overwhelming and questionable themes. And the way it's all put together is just so well done.

I plan to finish the story tomorrow :)

tirminyl

I am loving this game. I went on blackout after it was initially announced and got to play it this past weekend. Oh, boy. I'm glad I have two PS controllers to rotate out.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I'm level 18 and got absolutely mauled by a Thunderjaw.

Normal? I tried everything.

That's so weird. I'm level 32 and I just saw the first Thunderjaw from afar, after clearing out a bandit camp.

Maybe I'm overleved... 🤔😂

This area will be important later. What's cool is that you finding it early will be remarked on by Aloy when its significance comes to light.

Turn back; You can't do anything there now.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I do my best to set up a bunch of traps before every ambush. Especially if it's multiple enemies and something big.

Yeah, it just doesn't suit my playstyle.

Maybe I've died more times than I should've for not making use of it.

The second I unlocked the skill to bitchslap a sawtooth to the ground and override, the electric tripwire never got used.

I do see the point of covering your rear from rushing enemies; now that seems useful. It's happened more times than I'll admit.

Did I do something wrong?

I beat the game, got the pop-up saying I could still roam. Turned it off. Today I turned it on, notice I had 6 skill points and a quest still active.

That quest is the looming shadow, the one I had just beaten over the weekend, why do I have to do it again? Did it not save?

I beat the game, got the pop-up saying I could still roam. Turned it off. Today I turned it on, notice I had 6 skill points and a quest still active.

That quest is the looming shadow, the one I had just beaten over the weekend, why do I have to do it again? Did it not save?

Once you beat the final mission, you can re-do it as many times as you want to get xp and finish off the
All allies
trophy.

Nope.
The game sends you back to the point immediately before this quest.
You're fine.

Not even sure that's spoiler worthy but... *shrug.

scoobs

I have a real problem with this game... I keep running around having a blast killing dinosaurs and forget there are quests to do :(

I have a real problem with this game... I keep running around having a blast killing dinosaurs and forget there are quests to do :(

Damn man that sounds like a big problem that you and her need to talk about but just communicate and I know you can get through it together

HowZatOZ

Banned
My strategy now for fighting monsters is just throwing a heap of fire arrows, teaeblaat arrow and then whittling them down quickly with the short bow. 80ish damage each hit, getting them on their weak spots and they are down in seconds. Hell even
Redmaw
was piss easy.

I found the area around the Sunset prison in the SW of the map the best spot for hunting.

Got lots of raccoons, rabbits, rats, fish, etc there. Just circle through the area to the E or NE from the prison.

YbUBMnU.gif

Freeze bombs followed with blast bombs with tons of modification boosts are OP as fuck. Tear through those annoying Rocksmashers real quick. Otherwise fire arrows are awesome for putting enemies into a feedback loop where you can just keep pounding them with arrows.

chadskin

Not an RPG player at all (other than Pokémon, lol) but picked it up because I've had nothing else to play these days and so far, I'm really enjoying my time with it. Doesn't hurt that it looks gorgeous on a PS4 Pro and the new 4K TV I bought recently!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom