• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
YbUBMnU.gif

The Forbidden West! :O

Just finished it. Credits are rolling. My Platinum should pop at the end, unless I missed it but I'll check after they roll. Awesome game. Now I can head into spoiler threads. One odd thing happened - I was level 49 and had a skill point and two 3 point skills left to get. I thought I'll get one here and then another there and the rest from hunting challenges but out of nowhere I had like 9 skillpoints lol unlocked the last two skills for free. That's the only bug I think I saw and it was a advantageous one.

MaKTaiL

Just finished it. Credits are rolling. My Platinum should pop at the end, unless I missed it but I'll check after they roll. Awesome game. Now I can head into spoiler threads. One odd thing happened - I was level 49 and had a skill point and two 3 point skills left to get. I thought I'll get one here and then another there and the rest from hunting challenges but out of nowhere I had like 9 skillpoints lol unlocked the last two skills for free. That's the only bug I think I saw and it was a advantageous one.

It's not a bug, you get that after completing all side quests or getting all collectables. I'm not really sure which one because I can't remember.

Goddammit, I read here that rockbreakers are blind. That couldn't be further from the truth. These whack-a-moles are hilariously fast. It kept perfect pace with a full-speed charger. Lol it was amazing.

HOLY SHIT. A behemoth convoy came into the corrupted zone with the rock breakers and started doing massive damage to them. YES YES YES.

Goddammit, I read here that rockbreakers are blind. That couldn't be further from the truth. These whack-a-moles are hilariously fast. It kept perfect pace with a full-speed charger. Lol it was amazing.
According to a quest they can lose your position while they're underground if you're quiet. Not something I tested, though. They for sure can see you above ground.

Breakers prior to disabling their diving and glinthawks are my least favorite robots in the game.

Edit:

HOLY SHIT. A behemoth convoy came into the corrupted zone with the rock breakers and started doing massive damage to them. YES YES YES.

Wow. I'd love to witness a Behemoth v Rockbreaker fight. I don't think I've seen any two apex robots of different type hostile to each other.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I have to agree with everyone complimenting the story. It's really well done, and not just for a video game. I'd watch a movie/tv series or read a book with this plot/characters. As someone who never played the Helghast games, are they also as well written? Narrative is equally as important to game play for me, so it's been a rare treat to play a game that also values its story.

wenaldy

What's the lore behind Sunfall
coliseum resembling some kind of silo?

According to
Apocashitstorm traveler audio log, the Sun Ring arena was originated from orbital launch site. The probe was designed to seek and mine the tungsten-rich asteroid. Sun Ring was Mad King's favorite execution method. Enemy pitted against the machine.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
According to a quest they can lose your position while they're underground if you're quiet. Not something I tested, though. They for sure can see you above ground.

Breakers prior to disabling their diving and glinthawks are my least favorite robots in the game.

Edit:

Wow. I'd love to witness a Behemoth v Rockbreaker fight. I don't think I've seen any two apex robots of different type hostile to each other.
Yeah they're deaf not blind. If you stop running and just stand still after you lose them they won't pop up underneath you and instead they will pop up from a distance to look for you and throw projectiles. You can stun them at this point with your elemental sling then blast them with your bomb sling till they die.

Mikey Jr.

I want to get the trophy, but I need to find 3 more power cells. This is after I have finished the game already.

How annoying is it going to be going back and getting them?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming

Edit:

I agree, they don't have a real way to be countered other than disabling them. They're rock blasts are nigh impossible to dodge entirely and their attacks aren't as well telegraphed as any other creature and the hitboxes of said attacks are wonky. Still I don't dislike them. Glinthawks are a nuisance or annoyance rather than a threat for me. I think Stormbirds are the biggest threats because of the plethora of attacks and the lack of a weapon to turn against them. I think in a straight-up fight, the Thunderjaw, Ravaged and Behemoth would give the Stormbird the business if it's grounded or they keep mobile while it's in the air and of course the Deathbringer would slaughter it regardless of which it is.

Edit:

This isn't the first time I've seen robots attack each other. It seems that Guerrilla made it so that corrupted machines attack anything it's not allied with, not just Aloy.

As for the fight itself: As I was laying down traps, I noticed a convoy coming up behind. I managed to slide behind a boulder and the rockbreakers heard that apparently, but instead of seeing me, they saw the longleg and behemoth. So the rockbreakers assaulted the convoy with a barrage of boulders. I watched the carnage unflold with such glee. I wonder if the corrupted zone was placed in that location on purpose? Boulders were flying all over the place. A random boulder actually hit me and caused some damage. I really fucking love the physics in this game.

TTG

Finished off corruptions zones, a bunch of ravagers and long legs make for boring frustrating fights. Really running out of stuff to do now, a bunch of side quests and bandit camps and collectibles, no thanks.

I really wish you could direct overridden machines around. Get myself a storm birdie and go on a field trip would be awesome.

CHC

The burrowing bots are just so dumb to fight. The most annoying AI behavior, few weak points, terribly boring and time wasting. Like, why would you even bother rather than just running away? Totally poorly designed waste of time.

And the description is also just literally wrong. I removed the claws and it still burrows. Also, the fuel sack in nearly invincible, why do they even say it's a weak point?

Terrible enemy, the only one I actually even dislike though, let alone am this turned off by.

Edit: alright I finally got all the claws, didn't notice back ones were part of that deal.

DirtyLarry

Just curious if others are experiencing the do a dodge roll and get stuck right under the surface of the ground unable to get back "up" to solid ground for lack of a better term. What is pretty crazy is this area itself has nooks and crevices, etc. that one can traverse, but I just cannot make it out.
2 of the times it happened I was by "ruins" and the one time I was just in open land.

It has happened to me 3 times now and all 3 times the only resolution was to load my last save.

It's not a bug, you get that after completing all side quests or getting all collectables. I'm not really sure which one because I can't remember.

Ah thanks - I completed all Collectibles just before this mission as the last Vantage Point was on the way. I didn't see a pop up but I may have missed it. It can't be all Side Quests because I just now finished the game and got the Platinum and after loading me back in I went on a wee ride - went to a bonfire I hadn't been too and there was a Quest Marker lol

The burrowing bots are just so dumb to fight. The most annoying AI behavior, few weak points, terribly boring and time wasting. Like, why would you even bother rather than just running away? Totally poorly designed waste of time.

And the description is also just literally wrong. I removed the claws and it still burrows. Also, the fuel sack in nearly invincible, why do they even say it's a weak point?

Terrible enemy, the only one I actually even dislike though, let alone am this turned off by.

Yup the Rockbreakers are the only machine in the game I don't care to fight. I avoid them at all costs if I can. They just aren't fun.

I feel the same way about the Glinthawks, but I know some people enjoy burning them out of the skies.

My little cousin came over today, hes 7 or 8, took down a Stormbird all on his own by spamming fire arrows and then heavy melee attacking it when it fell, 2nd time playing Horizon for him, I gave him a high 5. Shield Weaver is def OP haha
He also tried to take down a Tallneck....that didn't work out so well for him

Yeah, it just doesn't suit my playstyle.

Maybe I've died more times than I should've for not making use of it.

The second I unlocked the skill to bitchslap a sawtooth to the ground and override, the electric tripwire never got used.

I do see the point of covering your rear from rushing enemies; now that seems useful. It's happened more times than I'll admit.
Once you get the other ones and unlock the fire and blast trip wires that weapon takes on a life of its own. I love the thing, but I can see how it's not to everyones play style. To me there's nothing more rewarding than seeing a Ravager or Sawtooth walk into your trap and get fucked up. That and having stuff fight each other with corruption arrows and making your clean up job go a lot easier. It's also funny seeing it wear off and watching these two things limp off only for them to meet the end of your arrows.

VanWinkle

I only have five main quests left to do, according the amount of main quests I've heard tossed around, but my percentage complete is only 39%. That seems weird. I've also done seven or eight side quests and about the same number of errands. I've overriden three tallnecks, done one cauldron, and no hunting trials. But I thought all of the non-main quest stuff only took a fraction of a percentage point each.

Stuff is getting CRAZY, btw.

OMG this Shield Maiden armor is a literal joke.

I don't like how it looks compared to my Banuk outfit (although I like it more than everything else), but with some of the bullshit attacks in the game, I've more or less resolved to not wearing anything else.

I've arrived at Sunfall and started exploring the underground. Am I close to the end ?

The whole backstory on Zero Dawn has gripped me like very few games in these last few years. I'm the farthest thing from a sci-fi fan yet I find this fascinating. I actually got a little emotional a some point.

The story in this game is vastly underrated. Sure the Carja war part of the story is kind of meh but every time I entered a ruin for a story mission I had an amazing time putting the pieces back together.

VanWinkle

I need advice. I am currently 15 main quests in. My current "world mystery" quest is
Deep Secrets of the Earth
. My current "political" (Carja War) quest is
The Sun Shall Fall
. The world mystery story seems more important and also feels like it's coming to a head. Should I stop that for awhile and finish out the political quests before continuing with the mystery one?

zulux21

I want to get the trophy, but I need to find 3 more power cells. This is after I have finished the game already.

How annoying is it going to be going back and getting them?

it's going to be decently annoying, but given you don't seem like you were going for full complete anyways (otherwise you would have for sure found 4 of the 5 total power cells looking around for other stuff) I don't know how important it is for you to get them.

anyways here is a guide

i am going to assume that you missed
All-Mother power cell
Maker’s End power cell
GAIA Prime power cell <--- easiest missed, I found them all without reading where they were but I only found this one because I missed a jump, and while trying to figure out how to get back up I found it.

though it's possible you didn't go back to the caves when you were a child, the only one I can't see you missing is The Grave-Hoard power cell as it's hard to miss that one unless you aren't paying attention to what is on the ground

Radec

I had a pretty easy time with that challenge. The hard one for me was the watcher stealth kills. The fucken stalker kept catching me.

I restarted that trial like 5 times because the other 2 watchers are so far.

The Thunderjaws trials are the ones I had trouble with getting full sun. I had to ignore the Thunderjaw while killing 2 Ravagers with the disc weapon under 2 mins.

I had a pretty easy time with that challenge. The hard one for me was the watcher stealth kills. The fucken stalker kept catching me.

hardest for me is a toss between the shellwalker loot and the ravager vs thunderjaw. shellwalker was only difficult because i didn't know there were two separate caches. both of those took very precise timing though. the glinthawk one was only hard the first time but that was because i had just came from the east and didn't really have anything good yet.

tmac456

Finished the main quest tonight. My god. This fucking game. I'll admit I shed a couple tears. and that after credits cutscene... ho mama

Incredible game. Incredible experience and story. Bravo GG. Fucking bravo.

Am I the only one with audio issues. Like I thought my Bluetooth headphones were cutting out so I switched to plug in headphones and I still get audio glitches/stutters.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Hooooly shit.

Just took that first Thunderjaw down.

After countless fails this is how it went down (playing on Very Hard):

>Tear blasted the disc launchers from afar.
>Closed in, hard point arrows to the radar.
>Hide.
>Plant blast trap.
>Shoot tripcaster blast wires from ground to rock face to account for its height.
>RUN TO THE DISC LAUNCHER
>COME AT ME MOTHERFUCKERRRRR
*explosions*
>Sonuvabitch brute forced its way through ALL my traps, eats both disc launchers and lost 90% of its armor, including face and tail... STILL not dead.

>Quick focus scan his blaze pack
>Run up cliff and jumpshot it with a fire arrow
>Watch it limp and burn to death.

*&#127942;All Combat Machines Killed*

&#128560; This game y'all...

Edit:

I forgot to save the fucking clip...

I need advice. I am currently 15 main quests in. My current "world mystery" quest is
Deep Secrets of the Earth
. My current "political" (Carja War) quest is
The Sun Shall Fall
. The world mystery story seems more important and also feels like it's coming to a head. Should I stop that for awhile and finish out the political quests before continuing with the mystery one?

yepp.

B.O.O.M

I have to agree with everyone complimenting the story. It's really well done, and not just for a video game. I'd watch a movie/tv series or read a book with this plot/characters. As someone who never played the Helghast games, are they also as well written? Narrative is equally as important to game play for me, so it's been a rare treat to play a game that also values its story.

The KZ series has a fantastic lore to it with a lot of potential..however the delivery of the story is really shitty. One of the biggest weaknesses of that series for me. The new writers they hired for Horizon have done a faaaantastic job in contrast

Just saw a person get annihilated by a Thunderjaw and 4 tramplers. Sorry, but there's no way I'm getting into the middle of that.
4 Tramplers is a pain by itself, fuck adding a Thunderjaw on top of that. Dude should've left that shit alone.
The KZ series has a fantastic lore to it with a lot of potential..however the delivery of the story is really shitty. One of the biggest weaknesses of that series for me. The new writers they hired for Horizon have done a faaaantastic job in contrast
Didn't they hire the person from Fallout New Vegas?

steven28

Am I the only one with audio issues. Like I thought my Bluetooth headphones were cutting out so I switched to plug in headphones and I still get audio glitches/stutters.
Happening to me as well.I thought it was my controller so i tried resetting it but it did nothing.

Happening to me as well.I thought it was my controller so i tried resetting it but it did nothing.

Seems my router was too close. The cutouts got worse with using DS4 audio. I move my router a bit farther and switch back to my Bluetooth headphones. I use an extension to get the receiver right next to meand that solved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom