• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickVic

Yeah, Like how.... I did everything in 42 and a half.
Taking well over double seems insane to me.

If you didn't fast travel anywhere I could see getting to 100 hours for full completion. As an aside, I'm about 35 hours in (assuming the save file time is accurate) and I imagine I still got a decent chunk of story left
just finished up The Sun Shall Fall and Maker's End missions
along with a handful of side quests to go. I will fast travel from time to time especially if I'm just going to clear out a corruption zone or doing a small side quest. For story missions, I do like walking there, if only to experience the journey. I thought it was pretty neat in the "Into The Borderlands" quest when
you find out Dervahl is planning to do something nefarious in Meridian and you can feel some of that tension as you make your way back to Meridian in a hurry to stop him (which I feel would be less impactful if you simply fast traveled back). Thought it was also cool how the Glinthawks attacking Pitchcliff quest conveniently triggers as you're making your way down. On one hand, you want to get to Meridian quickly, but you also don't want to ignore a town with a major Glinthawk problem

Radec

Snapmaw vs Behemoth with live commentary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYHpnN0NC_E

This is hilarious.

That was great.

I need more wires, keep running out lately. Also inventory is a mess, 100/100, and not sure what to sell off, the lenses are only ever really needed when buying your gear right, so as soon as I've got the gear I want with specific lenses, I can just sell them?

Yes. And if you got tons of metal shards, you can just buy them at a merchant in meridian.

Wollan

There's a free raccoon skin in one of the watchtowers located up a cliff side in the last Nora village prior to Daytown (where E3 demo was based out of).

Exquisik

Anyone know where to get fox skin? I've killed sooooooo many foxes and just got meat. I want that Shadow Rattler.

All the wildlife near, and in, towns are unkillable. Maybe that's what's happening here.

thanks, but this was pretty far away from anything.

So far I've seen arrows go in raccoons and do zero damage three times, and several more times it's seemed like my arrows phase right through them.

A single raccoon skin is all I need for my very last pouch upgrade, and I've trying to get one for days. I've been getting tons of bones, though! ...

I just read through all of them. I got some serious feels right now.

I don't know if this make any difference, but I have been getting skins by meleeing the animals instead of using bows. I just chase after them and do the one hit heavy attack. I got all my skins this way except for fishes.

wenaldy

I need more wires, keep running out lately. Also inventory is a mess, 100/100, and not sure what to sell off, the lenses are only ever really needed when buying your gear right, so as soon as I've got the gear I want with specific lenses, I can just sell them?

Lenses required for blue weapons, while the hearts are for purple weapons. If you already discover Meridian you can buy specific parts on Specialized Merchant selling the machine parts. Sell your "glasses" item, talisman and relic/ treasure. Sell any item that has "trade for merchant" info on it.

I dont want them to buff melee against machines, but against humans, sure. The game lives and breathes on range combat so I dont get why you need Platinum for this when that part is already fantastic.

Makes sense and it's fun to flank, and plan your way to fight machines on range. If there's anything I want improved on the melee is better detection for R1 kills.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished it. Spectacular game. My current game of the year so far with many left to play. I actually really liked the story in this game and it's a lot better than I thought it would be. I like anything with futuristic premises mixed into plots. Had a little bit of an Assassin's Creed vibe to it.

The only question is, how do they improve it on another entry? The game was so good, I can't think of much to improve on. Buying items in bulk would be one idea. When I was too lazy to farm items, going to a merchant and hitting X over and over and over was annoying.

danowat

Banned
Ok, so 16hrs in, and it's starting to click a bit, it came together after getting a bow that had hardpoint arrows.

A couple of things that erk me, tearblast arrows, the resources needed to craft them are rare as rocking horse shit, I also wish there was a way to compare bows on the fly when buying them from the traders.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a new problem - too many mods and not enough space (fully expanded storage). In a certain area of the map that I'm now exploring, I suddenly seem to be getting better mods so I'm just dropping green ones on the floor to make space.

It is a crazy section of the map - corrupted rock breakers, twin thunder jaws, stormbirds. I was almost relaxing while hoovering up collectibles but this woke me up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok, so 16hrs in, and it's starting to click a bit, it came together after getting a bow that had hardpoint arrows.

A couple of things that erk me, tearblast arrows, the resources needed to craft them are rare as rocking horse shit, I also wish there was a way to compare bows on the fly when buying them from the traders.

You get resources for tearblast arrows on the sorts of bigger machines you might need tearblast arrows for. Don't waste them on smaller stuff. Hard point arrows with tear mods will do good tear damage and fire faster so is a great alternative to tearblast arrows

There is a skill that allows you to swap mods which is handy but won't unlock for you yet. An alternative is to buy another bow with hardpoint arrows and mod that for tear, keeping the original modded for damage

I not only take back my previous comments on the environment visuals but hang my head in shame.

I still don't like the colour of the snow areas or it's textures but moving into the desert area and the thick jungle, my god the visuals truly are mind blowing.

The game is getting better too but I don't think I'd call it one of the greats (I've progressed to level 25). The human enemies have horrible voice acting and even worse AI, there doesn't seem to be a very deep progression system in terms of weapons or armour (or much need to upgrade) and it could use with a bit more control over the climbing sections.

Seems like a mix of Far Cry, the recent Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, but with more polish and the best bits from a bunch of games.

Pretty amazing exclusive overall. Crazy to think of the potential of a sequel and what it would bring in terms of visuals and gameplay additions.

whoszed

I'm 45 hours deep now and I don't even remember the last time I've had to worry about resources for not having resources for crafting arrows. Blaze is the only thing that I had to stock up on at one point but I used it a bunch and also had sold some of it earlier. I'm playing on hard for what that's worth. Maybe you need to use more arrows to take down enemies on hard?

danowat

Banned
You get resources for tearblast arrows on the sorts of bigger machines you might need tearblast arrows for. Don't waste them on smaller stuff. Hard point arrows with tear mods will do good tear damage and fire faster so is a great alternative to tearblast arrows

There is a skill that allows you to swap mods which is handy but won't unlock for you yet. An alternative is to buy another bow with hardpoint arrows and mod that for tear, keeping the original modded for damage

Yeah, I spent 14hrs with no hardpoint arrows...........although I picked up a tearblast bow quite early on.

Game didn't really make it clear how important they were, and as such I wasn't looking for a bow that had hardpoint arrows, infact, the game doesn't do a very good job of explaining the weapon types and their ammo particularly well at all, I don't think it made that good a job of explaining the combat flow of elemental damage arrows until the mech is on fire (frozen), which takes a fair few arrows to do, then hit it with damage either.

edit : Those shell thingys, in a group of 4, are no joke, if you don't fire off their lightning guns quick sharp you are in trouble, they are bloody quick too!

Gradly

alright, will do that. thanks!

any idea how far i'm in in the main story? close to completion?

I'm not good at guessing and I already spent more than 90+ hours in the game lol but I think by finishing this part
(3 quests of Eren's sister story)
you will finish 3/4 of the main story

I finished it. Spectacular game. My current game of the year so far with many left to play. I actually really liked the story in this game and it's a lot better than I thought it would be. I like anything with futuristic premises mixed into plots. Had a little bit of an Assassin's Creed vibe to it.

The only question is, how do they improve it on another entry? The game was so good, I can't think of much to improve on. Buying items in bulk would be one idea. When I was too lazy to farm items, going to a merchant and hitting X over and over and over was annoying.
Well considering this is GG's first attempt at an RPG/action game - and this is what they came up with - cant fkn wait till the sequel then. Now they have everything layed out, the assests, and more knowledge on how to make an RPG/action game, etc. - so the sequel will only be better and improved upon. I wish 2019/2020 wouldnt be so far though :/
Am definitely getting a 4K TV and PS4 Pro once Death Stranding and Horizon 2 come out.
Horizon was glorious on a standard PS4 at 1080p, those 4K/PSPro users are lucky bastards

I'm not good at guessing and I already spent more than 90+ hours in the game lol but I think by finishing this part
(3 quests of Eren's sister story)
you will finish 3/4 of the main story
How is this possible? I 100% the game in 43 hours.
Are you collecting every single thing you see and fighting every enemy there is?

laxu

Well considering this is GG's first attempt at an RPG/action game - and this is what they came up with - cant fkn wait till the sequel then. Now they have everything layed out, the assests, and more knowledge on how to make an RPG/action game, etc. - so the sequel will only be better and improved upon. I wish 2019/2020 wouldnt be so far though :/
Am definitely getting a 4K TV and PS4 Pro once Death Stranding and Horizon 2 come out.
Horizon was glorious on a standard PS4 at 1080p, those 4K/PSPro users are lucky bastards

It is truly gorgeous and runs really well while maintaining great image quality. I really hope for a sequel they significantly improve the AI. While I'm fine with how it works for the machines, the human AI is pretty bad and there isn't much interaction to be had with non-quest related human NPCs.

In the meantime I hope they do some quality of life improvements like "discard boxes with rocks" and "sell all crap". "Sleep x hours at bonfire" would be most welcome too.

It is truly gorgeous and runs really well while maintaining great image quality. I really hope for a sequel they significantly improve the AI. While I'm fine with how it works for the machines, the human AI is pretty bad and there isn't much interaction to be had with non-quest related human NPCs.

In the meantime I hope they do some quality of life improvements like "discard boxes with rocks" and "sell all crap". "Sleep x hours at bonfire" would be most welcome too.
Im sure they will, they will listen to feedback. Wouldnt be surprised if a lot of the stuff you've mentioned gets patched pretty soon in Horizon as well. I do agree with you about a lot of the things you mentioned. Its only been out for 3 weeks? I want some DLC asap though!

I have a new problem - too many mods and not enough space (fully expanded storage). In a certain area of the map that I'm now exploring, I suddenly seem to be getting better mods so I'm just dropping green ones on the floor to make space.

Why are you holding on to green, or even blue mods?

Gradly

How is this possible? I 100% the game in 43 hours.
Are you collecting every single thing you see and fighting every enemy there is?

Naah but this is the time stated at the manual save which counts everything play and idle time. It doesn't mean all that time spent playing the game cuz I almost didnt switch off the game for days (I only put ps4 on standby when asleep) and a good chunk of time spent on the map/menu screen, or managing resources, hunting animals. I even watched tv shows and eat while staring at the game or enjoying the graphics lol

Putty

I rarely fast travel...and i've been concentrating on collectables, crafting , basically doing everything outside of main missions, ....though i've been doing the odd one in between...Now of course they are the focus...

I simply adore the world and everything GG have done...The amount of detail is simply staggering...The transition from one area to the next is just so natural....Lord knows how they top this...

I feel like it's been forever since I last got any new info on the main story. It was doing really well at the beginning but it seems nothing is happening until I get to Meridian. I'm almost there. I've been doing side quests as I go along which is obviously delaying me from getting there but it just doesn't feel right to skip them all and head straight to Meridian. The side quests I don't think are all that interesting unfortunately. I feel the pacing is just weird but maybe it's me. I can already tell I will probably never replay the game again.

laxu

Im sure they will, they will listen to feedback. Wouldnt be surprised if a lot of the stuff you've mentioned gets patched pretty soon in Horizon as well. I do agree with you about a lot of the things you mentioned. Its only been out for 3 weeks? I want some DLC asap though!

The game has a ton of content though, I am way overleveled for a lot of main missions because I have spent so much time on exploring and side missions. Yet I would be ok with a DLC expansion area. I guess that says the game is fun.

But it's really nice to get a game that feels complete in so many ways and runs so well with very minor issues overall.

Gradly

It is a crazy section of the map - corrupted rock breakers, twin thunder jaws, stormbirds. I was almost relaxing while hoovering up collectibles but this woke me up.

Later in the game when you hunt the big machines, no need for green or blue mods at all. I just had all purple and I sold (no need to drop) all green and blue as soon as I got them

I think I will be stuck, I'm in the part where
I fight my first deathbringer and after getting my ass handed to me by the corrupter my health is at half, 90% of my traps are used and I don't have any health potions. How can I survive this?

Radec

I fight my first deathbringer and after getting my ass handed to me by the corrupter my health is at half, 90% of my traps are used and I don't have any health potions. How can I survive this?

Just hide and fire on the cave that you got out to. That machine isn't moving.

GlamFM

Banned

Can you craft more health potions in the menu?

Not kidding, took me a while to figure this out.

NeoRausch

And done!
What a game!
The last fight was kinda underwhelming, but besides that... Whew!

Now to clean up the map and get me my Platinum. I cannot put this game down.

Sebmugi

first try gif ^^

170315122336464132.gif

Ok bad quality..

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Thinking of switching from Hard to Easy, as several people have suggested, to clear the Hunting Ground-challenges. I might break my controller before I'm done otherwise D: Will this affect any achievements? I.e are there any achievements relating to difficulty. I feel like I want to platinum this game, it's that good.

Thinking of switching from Hard to Easy, as several people have suggested, to clear the Hunting Ground-challenges. I might break my controller before I'm done otherwise D: Will this affect any achievements? I.e are there any achievements relating to difficulty. I feel like I want to platinum this game, it's that good.
Nah no difficulty related trophy

So is it a general consensus that we live in a time where we have the most beautiful game ever created on our hands? From a graphics perspective....

HowZatOZ

Banned
Study the animals enough and what they're weak to and you'll be switching it up in no time. I think my standard load out are the three bow types and a tripcaster. And I'll make adjustments either on the fly or based on enemy type. Maining the Hunter Arrows is playing the game wrong in a way.
Honestly, you only really need to use tearblast arrows for initial weakening, then either spam fire arrows or tear arrows to take machines. Once you figure out the weak spots it's a piece of cake.

Hell, taking down Thunderjaw's is really about disabling their weapons as quickly as possible then whittling them down while dodging. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

jdstorm

Banned
Please no.

Happy that the combat is somewhat grounded in reality.

GG are doing just fine on their own.

This. GG has always been great visually and well above average mechanically with their shooters. Their main weakness was story/writing which they corrected in the leadup to making Horizon.

There are obviously always areas everybody can improve. However with Horizon, GG just placed themselves in the very top tier of Dev teams working right now.

Hell, taking down Thunderjaw's is really about disabling their weapons as quickly as possible then whittling them down while dodging. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

When I see the Youtube videos of Thunderjaws being taken down in 30 seconds with their own weapons I wonder where they find these geriatric ones that stand still for more then 0,1 seconds. Every time I try it's no problem to shoot off the launchers but then this giant death machine is on top of me constantly and even trying to pick up the disc launcher is squish time.

laxu

Honestly, you only really need to use tearblast arrows for initial weakening, then either spam fire arrows or tear arrows to take machines. Once you figure out the weak spots it's a piece of cake.

My approach, depending on the machine, is to usually tearblast arrows to take out weapons or armor, then either light them on fire or freeze them and finish the job with hardpoint arrows. I also use the ropecaster to tie down the bigger machines so they don't have time to get away from my freeze sling shots.

Just took down Redmaw yesterday no problem with this tactic.

Getting the Tinker perk as quick as you can is a good idea as then you can go to town on what weapon mods you want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom