• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

EGM1966

I have a new problem - too many mods and not enough space (fully expanded storage). In a certain area of the map that I'm now exploring, I suddenly seem to be getting better mods so I'm just dropping green ones on the floor to make space.

It is a crazy section of the map - corrupted rock breakers, twin thunder jaws, stormbirds. I was almost relaxing while hoovering up collectibles but this woke me up.

Once you hit the high value machine areas I found it was best to simply sell most stuff on a regular basis - even purple mods. I'd just keep bare minimum of materials/mods, etc. in inventory as you quickly stock up as you go from that point on (well unless you actively avoid combat I guess).

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
When I see the Youtube videos of Thunderjaws being taken down in 30 seconds with their own weapons I wonder where they find these geriatric ones that stand still for more then 0,1 seconds. Every time I try it's no problem to shoot off the launchers but then this giant death machine is on top of me constantly and even trying to pick up the disc launcher is squish time.
My default strategy, if I'm not trying a different loadout for funsies, is to open with tearblast arrows from a safe distance, first on the main guns and then all over its face to disable its lasers. Then I use the ropecaster to tie it down while I run over to the severed weapons and blast away. By the time I'm done with both of those, its weakpoints on its sides should be exposed, so I chip away at those with triple hardpoint arrows until it's dead.

Of course, that's assuming everything goes according to plan. I love how this game will throw unexpected shit to you that forces you to improvise. I confidently ran into a bunch of Shellwalkers the other day expecting an easy fight, but then Watchers, Scrappers and Glimmerhawks swarmed the place and made short work of me in all the chaos.

Once you hit the high value machine areas I found it was best to simply sell most stuff on a regular basis - even purple mods. I'd just keep bare minimum of materials/mods, etc. in inventory as you quickly stock up as you go from that point on (well unless you actively avoid combat I guess).
Yeah at this stage anything that's not purple I don't pick up, and I've been buying the most expensive loot boxes at merchants just so I have something to do with my money. Usually I'd start to lose interest in a game once I've exhausted the economy and levelling, but I love the combat so much in this I rarely skip any machines I come across. I don't think I've enjoyed combat this much since Halo.

Honestly, you only really need to use tearblast arrows for initial weakening, then either spam fire arrows or tear arrows to take machines. Once you figure out the weak spots it's a piece of cake.

Hell, taking down Thunderjaw's is really about disabling their weapons as quickly as possible then whittling them down while dodging. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
This is true, but I'm a trap whore. I like to set up a good amount just in case they charge in or flail about during the fight. Watching something get pwned and then skid to the ground as it dies is just too great.

RDreamer

I actually hit a point with massive, massive slowdown/framerate drop during Cauldron Xi.
The part where the eclipse let loose the machines and also keep pouring in.

Was pretty surprised because the game's been smooth as butter for literally everything else.

J-Skee

I actually hit a point with massive, massive slowdown/framerate drop during Cauldron Xi.
The part where the eclipse let loose the machines and also keep pouring in.

Was pretty surprised because the game's been smooth as butter for literally everything else.

Weird, same thing happened to me. It was only noticable to me because the game has been butter the entire time until that point. Still a technical masterpiece to me.

zulux21

I want to complain about the level 20 cauldron with the snap whatever in it and not much else

I have fully filled out the collecfing skill tree so don't really have the power to take this thing out even after laying out a ton of traps etc as there is no stealth, it's fight head-on and run/roll only. It's hard to get time to aim for components. At level 23 I don't think it's easy to do. What am I missing?

that is the one where it starts
with a snapjaw and a ravenger comes in as well right?

if so, it's pretty simple. Rope caster down the snapjaw, and then when the ravenger comes in, tear arrow to knock off the gun, rope caster it quickly as well. pick up the ravenger cannon and then end them both with it.

Mathieran

Banned
Fought my first
rockbreaker
today. Didn't even expect it, was part of a side quest. Great intro though, and that was the toughest fight I've experienced so far. Exhausted all my medicine and went through a ton of areas. So far this fight was the most reminiscent of MH of everything so far.

scoobs

So I must have missed something.. after finishing the first cauldron, I haven't found another one or been given a quest to go to one (I'm now level 40 lol)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like you get an email when you plat the game. Didn't know this either.

The theme isn't too fancy (static and default sound), but I think one never heard of a Platinum reward like this.

Pics if you wanna see it: http://imgur.com/a/bwE02?desktop=1

thanks for the clarification and yeah those pictures are just ok .. my current in-game screenshot makes a much better wallpaper.

horizonzerodawn_20170juudx.png

zulux21

So I must have missed something.. after finishing the first cauldron, I haven't found another one or been given a quest to go to one (I'm now level 40 lol)

Just look on your map for the weird signals... they are all visible on there.
you don't get the quest for them until you get close to them.

ty_hot

Completed my first calderon. It wasnt easy to kill that Fire throwing something. I had to prepare 6 double traps (the explosive and the one that paralyzes). I finally realized that when beating with R1 sometimes the machine lose some parts, which makes them much weaker/slower. Gonna use that more. I am having a hard time fighting big machines...

Found my first
Stranded Figure
yesterday. I'm not sure if that's even a spoiler or not, but it's basically something you can find, and there's only three of them. Two more to go!

Complistic

Completed my first calderon. It wasnt easy to kill that Fire throwing something. I had to prepare 6 double traps (the explosive and the one that paralyzes). I finally realized that when beating with R1 sometimes the machine lose some parts, which makes them much weaker/slower. Gonna use that more. I am having a hard time fighting big machines...

To give you some idea of your level of growth within the game, soon enough you'll be taking down 2 or 3 of those guys at a time just out in the wilds.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
finally found a second power cell during the
Makers End main quest
, but I heard you need 3 more once you get inside (lol), so are they also with main quests or can I go hunt for them to get that OP suit?

If I only get it at the end of the game when im already done, its kinda pointless

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Makers End main quest
, but I heard you need 3 more once you get inside (lol), so are they also with main quests or can I go hunt for them to get that OP suit?

If I only get it at the end of the game when im already done, its kinda pointless

You can't get it til near the end of the game.

Makers End main quest

http://m.ign.com/wikis/horizon-zero-dawn/Power_Cell_Locations

Minor location spoilers but nothing plot related besides mission names.

GlamFM

Banned
Makers End main quest

Edit: LIES!

Makers End main quest

You get them while playing story missions. You can get in with just two and gather some items tho.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You could have
by now. You´ll get the
5th
one in the
"The Mountain That Fell"
mission.

3, according to that guide posted above. Seems I missed one.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Guys is this happening to anybody else
Things are now just floating in mid air? this spot wasn't like this till i updated to 1.04

Not in this specific area but I've had plenty of things float in mid air or elements of buildings not spawning correctly long before 1.04 hit, par for the course of open world design. One prominent example in particular was in the first skyscraper ruin area you come across with the first Tallneck, there was a building with a climbable path up it only the building wall didn't spawn so the yellow path was just hanging in mid air all the way up.

Rhaknar

weird that I missed the one at
mother's heart
, I even remember checking the rooms, its not like I rushed out of there :(

stupid nightfall hurry up

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
weird that I missed the one at
mother's heart
, I even remember checking the rooms, its not like I rushed out of there :(

stupid nightfall hurry up

You can go back there, though during certain story mission that area remains inaccessible so you might need to progress further before returning.

Rhaknar

You can go back there, though during certain story mission that area remains inaccessible so you might need to progress further before returning.

I just went back during nightfall like youre supposed to, even exited out the settlement and back in, and either im getting the building wrong, or I cant get in. Oh well.

LiK

All YouTube guides for the Shield-Weaver outfit just copied each other on how to start it. I just stumbled on it from finding one of the
power cells
mid-game and the quest showed up. You don't need to find the
bunker
at all to initiate it.

GlamFM

Banned
I just went back during nightfall like youre supposed to, even exited out the settlement and back in, and either im getting the building wrong, or I cant get in. Oh well.

I just fast travelled there a couple of times and the gate was open.

laxu

BTW if someone else missed the power cell in
Mother's Watch
in early game, this method works in 1.04 to get it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEAeXRNcFmo

Basically just climb the cliffs and drop at a very specific point. You have to do it like that because I believe they fixed the gate despawning bug and there are invisible walls you cannot cross elsewhere.

Ferr986

Why no one told me there's a purple version of
Shadow Stalwart
outfit? and why I didn't see it? Looks too good, minus the mask, I like the light version better (that's pretty much true for all purple outfits).

I just can't believe how good the combat is in this game. I love exploiting elemental weaknesses and causing giant explosions. I was too close to a Longleg when I blew up its sac and I went flying.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think I could play around in this world forever. Coming up with new strategies for hunting the machines just doesn't get old. I'm over 50 hours played now and it feels as fresh and exciting as ever.

I'm going to finish the story in the next few days, before Mass Effect drops, but I'm leaving some of the collectibles and stuff for later. I want to come back. I hope we get dlc as well, a proper expansion, that would be soooo good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom