• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeeDog

Running great on original PS4. Like someone else said only seems to rev up at menu screens and map. Weird.

Probably because the menus and the map run without a framerate cap. Several games miss out on this.

Praying to higher powers I get my copy today.

I'm like 3.5 hours in and.. beyond impressed. To the extent that anybody made any distinctions, I heard the first part of the game was not quite as good as the rest, but the first part is amazing! The story is so good already. It has me totally invested. Aloy, I'm already convinced is a franchise character. I don't think any game can stack up visually. What a freakin' game this is.

Not too much weird artifacting on the screen or lag that you'd consider game breaking?

I have no trouble playing The Last of Us Remastered multiplayer, so I'm guessing this being a single player game should run pretty well. Just worried since this game is so much more advanced than any other ps4 games to date.

Technically the visual fidelity shouldn't make a difference in the stream quality, though I guess depending on a game's art style, any artefacting could be more or less noticeable against other colors.

I did a few hours of my trophy hunting on Remote Play and it was totally fine, so I think you're good. :)

Haven't played it yet but I like how Alooy has nice rounded ears, instead of the typical hexagon shaped video games ears we're used to. That includes her gameplay character.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Best looking console game I've ever seen. Holyfuck! Got about 2 hours in so far. Absolutely loving what I'm playing. Aloy is awesome

Memles

Played about five hours (which included a few side quests, so I probably could have blasted through the "prologue" a bit faster if I had so desired).

It's gorgeous, and plays well, and is in a genre that I'm historically in the pot for. My only major complaint, beyond a few stutters/cipping in the cutscenes, is the animation/framing of the conversations. They carry a lot of the worldbuilding weight early on, and so as a story-driven person I want to go through them, but they just seem so lifeless—always the same angles, always the same facial expressions, and little of the body language that one might engage in with actual conversation. It's gotten to the point where I don't really even want to go through all the different conversation threads, and that's been a bit of a bummer.

We'll see if I start to feel better about the characterization outside of the main characters/cutscenes once I move onto the next area, but it's my one nagging issue that I'll see resolved when I get back to this post-Zelda.

Tankshell

Yes. There are things Uncharted does better, including facial animation and some textures, but lighting + most textures + environmental density and realism is all Horizon. Combine those with the humongous open world, and it's not a contest.

UC4 also has foliage that individually reacts and bends as the player character moves through it. HZD foliage does not have any player collision at all. Considering there is so much of it, it looks odd.

Once the game opens up it is absolutely fantastic

I enjoyed the opening chunk but it is very much an "open world linear tutorial" chunk. Restrictive, taking its time, etc. Makes sense and there's some nice payoffs but I was a bit worried I wasn't going to love the game

Also love how the day/night cycle is implemented here where it's more of a stylistic choice. I love stuff like Dragon's Dogma and FFXV where nighttime is pitch black and dangerous but it's nice to be able to see and have everything just look cool

jiiikoo

Banned
Found a workaround. Pick a version on the store and like it. Back out and go to the What's New section of the home page. Find your liked post and hit buy. This was done via the console.

Thanks for this! I was scratching my head as what to do when I couldn't select the version! Now it's downloading! What time does it unlock? I'm in the EU but bought from the US store.

What are the differences?

I thought I read that difficulty level doesn't alter AI or enemies behaviors. Just less gathering and more HP and damage for enemies.

Enemies are pretty relentless in general so most people are going to get hit a lot. I've died in just two or three hits to some larger foes on Normal. Can't imagine the damage slider on Very Hard.

UC4 also has foliage that individually reacts and bends as the player character moves through it. HZD foliage does not have any player collision at all. Considering there is so much of it, it looks odd.

That's a good point, though I recall that not being universal in UC4 either. Horizon is kinda inconsistent -- the tall grass bends and moves with "tutorial Aloy" a great deal, but it's less pronounced later.

Played just the begining up until
Aloy is a teenager
, it's fantastic so far, really impressed by the story, the graphics and the atmosphere.

Going to sleep now, tomorrow will be a looong day playing.

bebop242

Well I just Redboxed mine. I was going to wait until Best Buy's B2G1 free sale next week but I couldn't wait.

Also today I learned Redbox games unlock at 12 I believe? Never knew that.

Are you confusing Best Buy with Target? I can't find anything regarding BB having a B2G1 sale. With Target I decided to pass but BB with GCU, I'd walk out with Horizon, Neir and Nioh for 100 bucks. I have Yakuza 0 to pass the time for now.

Giolon

Spent about 4 or 5 hours playing tonight. I got to the end of the newbie area and called it quits for the night. Pretty rough "boss" fight. Gameplay is a fun mix of FarCry and Shadows of Mordor. The techno-lithic styling of the game is just as rad as I hoped it'd be. I just hope it doesn't devolve into too much fighting humans. I'm also a little disappointed that the game seems to have static areas where types of mechs spawn, rather than having them be roaming packs driven by A.I. That you'd have to actively hunt down, or would stumble upon randomly. Maybe things will change in the larger world, but I doubt it.

No-brainer starter talents seem like the R1 stealth kill and the slow time while aiming the bow. I'm not really sure how you're supposed to get along in particular without the latter even.

Graphics are amazing running on a Pro on a 1080P TV. I'm currently favoring Resolution for supersampling. Performance is smoother, so I might swap over.

level1

The absurd waddle doesn't bother you? She walks like a pregnant woman that's in need of a bathroom after a Taco Bell visit. Not saying I want her to walk like Bayonetta though, don't get me wrong.

Man, which taco bell do you visit?!

Heading to bed after playing for roughly 3 hours. Still feels like I'm in the "training" section of the game. I used my first two upgrades on slow down and R1 stealth kills. The stealth kill is a little too good as the stealth mechanics are a bit easy to abuse. The bow slow down is pretty damn important because these robot Dino's are FAST. I'm playing on hard and because I've stealth killed most and made good use of my slow down, I've hardly even been hit. But once I did get hit and was pounced by a group of 3...I almost died in 4 hits. I left off after a Sawtooth fight. Was pretty damn cool and impressive. Can't believe how smooth this game is on a launch PS4. Looking forward to more tomorrow.

PSA: Go to the settings, visual, and turn on dynamic UI. The game looks so much better this way.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Here's the thing though dude, it has been five years since Far Cry 3, those elements (that I've highlighted) have been done already. There's nothing exciting about anything from that list because we've seen it all done before. Horizon doesn't really do anything new or interesting with those mechanics listed.

There's also no reason to use those other options and not to just hide in a bush and head shot all the dudes in a camp.

There's certainly variation in the combat against machines. The same can't be said for the humans.

So now you're no longer arguing the comparison isn't unreasonable, just that these mechanics at play aren't particularly 'new'. I don't remember ever arguing that they were so I guess we agree...

squidyj

What are the differences?

I thought I read that difficulty level doesn't alter AI or enemies behaviors. Just less gathering and more HP and damage for enemies.

they're just tough to kill, when i posted that i only had my hunter bow so my tools for dealing with them were limited, their weak points aren't aven that weak and take multiple hits and they will mess you up.

Ferrio

Banned
Just played the opening+tutorial, about 3 hours of play. Started to drag a bit and get predictable toward the end, but I'm liking the setting and the world is beyond gorgeous. I'm hoping the training wheels are off now.

bubumiao

Technically the visual fidelity shouldn't make a difference in the stream quality, though I guess depending on a game's art style, any artefacting could be more or less noticeable against other colors.

I did a few hours of my trophy hunting on Remote Play and it was totally fine, so I think you're good. :)

Cool, thanks!

Dominator

Just played for 2 hours, and holy shit this game is incredible. It looks absolutely stunning on the Pro in 4K, the controls are fantastic, the world and setting is beautiful, and Aloy is already an amazing character.

I'm in love with this game.

[NaK]

I played an hour before work today and got to my first boss fight in the
Cauldron.

The contrast in scenery is fantastic, and gives such a great sci-fi vibe. It reminds me of a mix between Killzone and Mass Effect, and I love it.

Running great on original PS4. Like someone else said only seems to rev up at menu screens and map. Weird.

Perhaps because the menu and map doesn't have a fixed framerate? I know this happened in other games as well. The game itself is a locked 30FPS, but the menu is unlocked.

8bit

Knows the Score
Got an early copy yesterday, didn't like the opening much (weird proportions and kind of janky controls) but once it hits it's stride it's great.

I'm a sucker for any game with bow and arrow tbh.

Enemies are pretty relentless in general so most people are going to get hit a lot. I've died in just two or three hits to some larger foes on Normal. Can't imagine the damage slider on Very Hard.

they're just tough to kill, when i posted that i only had my hunter bow so my tools for dealing with them were limited, their weak points aren't aven that weak and take multiple hits and they will mess you up.

Sounds good enough for me.

I'm worse than a Hanzo player. Hate aiming with analog :(

Yeah, after playing for several hours, I wish I could play with a mouse and keyboard for this. There's so much precision required especially to hit the weak spots. And these machines are crazy fast. It would be impossible without the slow-motion aiming skill.

Ahhh man a glitch, I could only run-in-place right after I
examined a blood trail right after I examined a knife in the Brom side mission
, but luckily I crafted a Travel Pack and Fast Travelled to Campfire, that did the trick.

Exquisik

So the craziest thing just happened.

I went to Best Buy earlier today in the afternoon to pick up the game after receiving an email notifying me that the game is ready to be picked up. I was very excited and was looking forward to picking it up, but to my demise, the associate could not process the transaction because it has a limitation date (could only be sold/released on the specific date). I figured, maybe I should come back at 9 to pick it up and maybe the system will let it go through. It didn't. I was completely disappointed.

Got off work and was reading through this thread until I came across Foxxsoxx's post about redbox. Searched redbox and my local 24 hours Wal-Mart has one in stock. Checked out and the game was ready to be picked (this is after midnight). I was excited again and was really looking forward to playing the game tonight. Got to Wal-Mart, and the Redbox kiosk has a "temporarily out of order" message on the screen. OMG! I was completely devastated! I then went shopping in Wal-Mart for some household products since I was there. Walked out by the kiosk again and boom, the machine works! Swiped my credit card and I got the game! Holy Son of a Gun! I am so happy right now. Just waiting for it to finish installing and will be pulling an all nighter! What a day!

Going to be picking up my collector's edition tomorrow.

Foxxsoxx

Just got to say that these graphics on the OGPS4 are just mint.

Some minor blemishes here and there but the first time I saw it turn from dusk to night I couldn't help but say holy shit to myself. This has definitely surpassed Uncharted 4 when it comes to the environment and lighting and I don't say that lightly.

So the craziest thing just happened.

I went to Best Buy earlier today in the afternoon to pick up the game after receiving an email notifying me that the game is ready to be picked up. I was very excited and was looking forward to picking it up, but to my demise, the associate could not process the transaction because it has a limitation date (could only be sold/released on the specific date). I figured, maybe I should come back at 9 to pick it up and maybe the system will let it go through. It didn't. I was completely disappointed.

Got off work and was reading through this thread until I came across Foxxsoxx's post about redbox. Searched redbox and my local 24 hours Wal-Mart has one in stock. Checked out and the game was ready to be picked (this is after midnight). I was excited again and was really looking forward to playing the game tonight. Got to Wal-Mart, and the Redbox kiosk has a "temporarily out of order" message on the screen. OMG! I was completely devastated! I then went shopping in Wal-Mart for some household products since I was there. Walked out by the kiosk again and boom, the machine works! Swiped my credit card and I got the game! Holy Son of a Gun! I am so happy right now. Just waiting for it to finish installing and will be pulling an all nighter! What a day!

Going to be picking up my collector's edition tomorrow.

High five man! I didn't even know it was coming out on Redbox and just randomly tried it out since one is about 5 minutes from me. Can't believe it worked!

Wagram

One of the many things I love about Horizon so far is that you can really tell that passion went into it. It could have easily been a shitty cash in idea, but it wasn't. The world has an identity, the characters are worth a damn, the writings good, the story is good, and the combat is fun. Let developers work on new IP instead of ENDLESS sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom