• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm heavily debating on if I should buy this or not. I don't have a Pro and likely won't for months. But I just can't decide if it's worth waiting possibly up to 6 months to play it or just get it on OG

sense

Odd that many people waited till the last minute to buy and download. Had no issues preloading the game a couple of days ago and I was ready to go at midnight with no further waiting. Just played the first half hour and so far so good and looks really good on the pro. Can't wait to dig in on the weekend. Wish I had a 4K hdr tv though because this game looks like it could justify one. Probably pick one up during the fall and I am expecting some good deals this year.

darkwing

Odd that many people waited till the last minute to buy and download. Had no issues preloading the game a couple of days ago and I was ready to go at midnight with no further waiting. Just played the first half hour and so far so good and looks really good on the pro. Can't wait to dig in on the weekend. Wish I had a 4K hdr tv though because this game looks like it could justify one. Probably pick one up during the fall and I am expecting some good deals this year.

was waiting for a Pro unit but couldn't wait :(

gow3isben

It's a Diet RPG. It just makes some of the upgrade systems work. Don't worry about the RPG systems.

Asked this before but it got lost in the swarm of posts. Do you know how to pause cutscenes without skipping them? I kind of made a mistake and had to youtube the specific cutscene.

You suck man. You could have spoilered that shit. Some people are here for impressions, not to see spoiler pics they managed to avoid until now...

I have only seen her in that 'state' when I'm playing the game as I was actively avoiding trailers and such. But yeah, I'd be bummed to find that out before I play the game too. Not sure if this will make you a bit better, but..
that is in the first few minutes of the game.

Foxxsoxx

Well I just Redboxed mine. I was going to wait until Best Buy's B2G1 free sale next week but I couldn't wait.

Also today I learned Redbox games unlock at 12 I believe? Never knew that.

Kilau

Played for just over an hour, really enjoying everything so far.

The one thing I don't like about Horizon is that the image quality is almost too good.

wig

And man, that little boy you meet early on,
who throws a rock at lil Aloy and calls her an outcast, I was so outraged I was looking for a "shoot in leg with arrow" reaction lol. Luckily, Aloy is a much better person than me so she took the high road ;)

I was so pissed off. Poor Aloy. This whole child Aloy intro is killing me. When she found the birthday message I melted.
I have never fallen in love with a character so quickly in a game before.

Nameless

Combat is just sublime right out the gate. Running around with the starter gear and there's so much room for creativity and improvisation already. Visually satisfying too to say the least. Have to get up for work in 5 hours and I don't want to stop playing.

Also +1 for best looking game I've ever played. Sitting there watching the rain fall and I'm in awe.

Central, but it unlocked or whatever right at midnight.

I got one at midnight, and in Louisiana so I'm pretty sure they just unlock at midnight.

ah ok yeah. Thought I might get lucky that its a nationwide midnight unlock at 12 EST. But seems to be midnight local time. Its interesting because I think the kiosks here have the new movies loaded in already. I saw Hacksaw ridge in the machine to rent which I think has a redbox release of 2/28

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Game is beautiful, but the writing and voice acting thus far are sub-par. Lip syncing is also quite bad.

But PLEASE help me fine-tune my picture settings. I have the LG 49UH6030, which to my understanding doesn't display "true" HDR.

Ultra HD Deep Color is enabled in settings and the picture is set to game mode.

I keep switching between HDR on and off in-game and cannot for the life of me decide which looks better. For some reason, the colors pop less with HDR enabled, but it feels like the contrast is messed up with it off. I also have three HDR settings: Vivid, Bright, and Standard. Vivid naturally makes colors pop hard, but I feel like there's some black crush going on.

Does anyone have a similar TV and can provide some advice? I had the same issue with Uncharted 4. :/

Stiler

Absolutely loving this game so far.

LMMKgpS.jpg

Feels so nice to get outside.

About halfway through the main questline and GAWD the story stuff is so great, I love it so much. There's so much history (and mystery) to everything.

Tubie

Game is beautiful, but the writing and voice acting thus far are sub-par. Lip syncing is also quite bad.

But PLEASE help me fine-tune my picture settings. I have the LG 49UH6030, which to my understanding doesn't display "true" HDR.

Ultra HD Deep Color is enabled in settings and the picture is set to game mode.

I keep switching between HDR on and off in-game and cannot for the life of me decide which looks better. For some reason, the colors pop less with HDR enabled, but it feels like the contrast is messed up with it off. I also have three HDR settings: Vivid, Bright, and Standard. Vivid naturally makes colors pop hard, but I feel like there's some black crush going on.

Does anyone have a similar TV and can provide some advice? I had the same issue with Uncharted 4. :/

I'm in a similar position as you.

When I turn HDR on my Samsung 6290 (which does HDR but not "true" HDR) the picture looks much brighter and kinda pops more but colors kinda stay the same. I'm not sure which mode I prefer.

LuuKyK

Ok, I was already blown away by the graphics as seen on the previews... But this story though, its legit amazing. I dont think I've been this interested in a plot since Uncharted 2. Have yet to meet an uninteresting character. Voice acting in the game is phenomenal, especially from the main characters. Ashley is a great Aloy, I can already tell she will join Drake, Ellie, Joel, Kratos etc as a Playstation staple character.

edit: btw, whoever was responsible for the character/costume design in this game deserves a raise. They are so on point.

I'm playing this right now on PRO connected to a 1080p screen.

IT'S UNBELIEVABLE.

Yup it's blowing away everything I've ever played even on my I7 6700k + GTX 1070.

The game is gorgeous, and plays so well.

Between this and Switch with Zelda on Friday I don't think anything can top this week.

TLDR: Buy this game!

Nameless

Ok, I was already blown away by the graphics as seen on the previews... But this story though, its legit amazing. I dont think I've been this interested in a plot since Uncharted 2. Have yet to meet an uninteresting character. Voice acting in the game is phenomenal, especially from the main characters. Ashley is a great Aloy, I can already tell she will join Drake, Ellie, Joel, Kratos etc as a Playstation staple character.

The opening alone was enough to put me fully in Aloy's camp. Fantastic character.

Redlogic

Man, I'm only an hour and a half in, but already my heart is racing when around and/or fighting dino's. Every time I go into a dino bout, it's like the 80's kid in me is having a flashback toygasm or something. This scratches itches I didn't know I still had. The story has definitely got me interested and dying to see more, especially with that we'll crafted opening.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Downloading as I type this

21MB/sec, already 50% done

Goddamn GAF hype, I hate you so much

1080p PS4 Pro on my Sharp Aquos I'm hoping is super delicious

I am so freaking happy this game is finally out and everyone can see what we've been raving about for the last week.

It was an absolute pleasure to review this game and now I'm grinning ear-to-ear reading these moments as you experience them -- falling in love with Aloy in literal seconds, that moment the story and lore kick into high gear, the intensity of dino fights, just how gorgeous the graphics are...

Just effing tremendous, this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom