• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing so much about how it is a great open world, so I was wondering if someone would elaborate on what they think Horizon does differently which makes it so great? It is probably going to be a month or so before I can play this, but I am really curious.

NightOnyx

Man this game is everything I was hoping it would be and so much more! I hate that I have to call it a night and head to bed, but I really enjoyed my first 3 hours or so with the game. The game is gorgeous and even though I'm still in the first area, the world seems very well made. Combat is a blast, I love how agile Aloy is. I just beat the
sawtooth
mission and that was already pretty thrilling, so I can just imagine how crazy the game is going to get once I'm out of the entry zone.

I did come across my first instance of open world jank, but it was pretty hilarious. I was fighting a Watcher and when he smacked Aloy, she went flying a few hundred feet and immediately attached herself as if she was climbing to the edge of one of those mini watch post tower things you can climb. She was totally okay, and I had a good laugh.

danowat

Banned
I keep hearing so much about how it is a great open world, so I was wondering if someone would elaborate on what they think Horizon does differently which makes it so great? It is probably going to be a month or so before I can play this, but I am really curious.

Proper combat?

After my first 4 hours I'm calling it a night.

Greatly enjoying the game so far. Combat is fun and varied. Characters seem well-defined. Story is intriguing.

Aloy is already making a big impression on me as a character. She's great.

Foxxsoxx

It's beautiful, it's vast, and the combat isn't janky, nor is the framerate.

It just works.

Slaythe

God damn it.

I heard the game was good, I heard the game looked great, but damn it.

It's breath taking without compression and in movement.

I also LOOOOVE the dialog tree ! Love that stuff.

Only things i dislike :

Why is the spear not showing up on her back ? it really takes me out of the immersion to see it pop in and out for no reason ;p .

Well so far, an interesting story with good characters, side missions that don't seem like busy-work, great visuals, fluid combat that doesn't feel cumbersome, solid gameplay mechanics.

VariantX

Well I have to stop otherwise I wont sleep and will have a crappy day at work. Spent most of my time just doing everything aside from the main quests. I have a horrible habit of getting distracted in these types of games.

Slaythe

I haven't finished the game yet but basically, they played every "open world", took notes, removed everything that made it feel like a chore and padding, added good systems from other genres too (levels, skill tree, dialog trees, etc...) and added a lot of things to discover while exploring, with meaningful characters/scenes to see.

Not just "to do" lists like 99% of Ubisoft game.

The gameplay is also really competent and fun. The game is breath taking. It's a world you feel like actually discovering.

Four hours in, just finished up the first major plot revelation. Really enjoying the story so far; Aloy is a great character, the writing and acting has been good, and the story has been very interesting and well paced

Man, the Proving did not end how I expected. Everyone just fucking dies. They definitely played with expectations well there

I particularly love how they're handling the sci-fi. It's pretty neat that the All-Mother and that entire religion revolves around deifying a completely ordinary automated voice, not even an AI but a Siri essentially, that they mistakenly assume is some spiritual otherworldly being. Aloy's reaction is perfect

So that whole revelation basically implies that Aloy was a clone of someone from the past?

Whide

So, I bought the the game from US PSN to play the game a few days earlier, but I saw that there we're only 2 languages available from subtitles. I know there is Finnish subtitles for the EU version, so can I get it anyway for the US version as well?

Gintamen

I read you can hide behind rocks and lame your way through the dinosaur. Also not liking how it's exterminating (bad) human villages as you did in TR again.

Did it bother anyone?

Proper combat?

It's beautiful, it's vast, and the combat isn't janky, nor is the framerate.

It just works.

Well so far, an interesting story with good characters, side missions that don't seem like busy-work, great visuals, fluid combat that doesn't feel cumbersome, solid gameplay mechanics.

I haven't finished the game yet but basically, they played every "open world", took notes, removed everything that made it feel like a chore and padding, added good systems from other genres too (levels, skill tree, dialog trees, etc...) and added a lot of things to discover while exploring, with meaningful characters/scenes to see.

Not just "to do" lists like 99% of Ubisoft game.

The gameplay is also really competent and fun. The game is breath taking. It's a world you feel like actually discovering.

Thanks, it sounds great particularly the bolded part. As much as I like open world games, I feel like the majority don't respect the players time, and add a bunch of repetitive things in. Something I quite liked in the footage as well is how big the world feels, not just in map size, but how you built up and dense the landscape is.

8bit

Knows the Score
Four hours in, just finished up the first major plot revelation. Really enjoying the story so far; Aloy is a great character, the writing and acting has been good, and the story has been very interesting and well paced

Man, the Proving did not end how I expected. Everyone just fucking dies.

Yeah that was pretty unexpected.
I thought they were setting rock boy up as some sort of later nemesis, but no, pretty much a massacre.

Slaythe

Thanks, it sounds great particularly the bolded part. As much as I like open world games, I feel like the majority don't respect the players time, and add a bunch of repetitive things in. Something I quite liked in the footage as well is how big the world feels, not just in map size, but how you built up and dense the landscape is.

It has some "repetitive" things, but since they are never forced down your throat and you get to do them whenever you want in between side quests, exploration, story, crafting etc... and the gameplay has a lot of approaches (that also varies depending on the skills you decide to get), it never gets old. It can be pretty rewarding too so it feels "worth it".

While other games force it down to make you waste time basically.

idonteven

giphy.gif

i love that detail when she walks in long grass

Tomeru

Please mind the spoilers!

Game is amzing and all, but there are little things that are annoying af. Like climbing is restricted only to certain ledges, when some things you can obviously climb are oblivious to Aloy, and I have to jump around the, to get up. Bugs and glitches can be fixed, but stuff like this needs to be addressed for HZD2.

I just bought a kinda
shotgun/nail gun
, can't wait to slide under some large robots with it.

I think the first few hours are good. And I appreciate that Guerilla wanted to spend some time setting everything up. But the game goes from good to fucking amazing when they open everything up for you.

Also, was not expecting to like Aloy this much. She's too cool.

Orpheum

how they made the framerate so smooth with so much foliage i have no idea

i recall DF mentioning it might be because the Foliage doesn't really interact with the player while traversing it (as in Grass moving accordingly etc.).
I have no idea about technichal stuff like this though^^

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Was tempted to get the special edition w/ statue, but think I'll go regular for this tomorrow, and special edition for Nier next month <3

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Amazon had to pick this game to deliver to me a day late. Won't get it until tonight, and then I got 4 days of shift work.

Freeman76

God damn it.

I heard the game was good, I heard the game looked great, but damn it.

It's breath taking without compression and in movement.

I also LOOOOVE the dialog tree ! Love that stuff.

Only things i dislike :

Why is the spear not showing up on her back ? it really takes me out of the immersion to see it pop in and out for no reason ;p .

Yet the mechanical dinosaurs are completely natural :p

Played about 4 hours, planning another 10 tomorrow. I *might* actually beat this before zelda!

.... nah haha.

This game is really good though, its why I purchased a PS4 and I definitely do not regret it.

jediyoshi

Got off my first play session at around 4~ hours.

Looking at my level against the recommended level of the next main quest, it's like I blinked and I'm 4 levels behind ;_;

Slaythe

Yet the mechanical dinosaurs are completely natural :p

I can suspend my disbelief for technological advancements and creatures.

Having her put the spear on her back and see it disappear and vice versa is kind of jarring and I don't understand it.

Like, why is the bow showing at all then ?

level1

Those are some nice
minigames
indeed.

I didn't go past the first part though, as I'm still ocd-ing the whole area. Gotta collect them all and stuff...

It's not just the
hunting trials
that I'm talking about..keep on playing and you'll see what I mean :p

Slaythe

Also I want to say, there are not many games that have a first showing where everybody goes "wooow" and then the game delivers far more in terms of gameplay, content, and the graphics still blow your mind at release because most devs "play it safe" during their presentation.

GG clearly didn't.

It's insane.

Take a fucking cue Ubisoft.

Tomeru

Also I want to say, there are not many games that have a first showing where everybody goes "wooow" and then the game delivers far more in terms of gameplay, content, and the graphics still blow your mind at release because most devs "play it safe" during their presentation.

GG clearly didn't.

It's insane.

Take a fucking cue Ubisoft.

I'd say this is playing it safe for GG.

Jaroof

Four hours in, just finished up the first major plot revelation.

After my first 4 hours I'm calling it a night.

After four hours all I can say is GODDAMN. The environments, gameplay, and characters are all top notch.

Played about 4 hours, planning another 10 tomorrow. I *might* actually beat this before zelda!

Got off my first play session at around 4~ hours.

Uhhh.. Am I missing something?
Everybody's stopping/reporting in at 4 hours.

Also, I took pics and put them in the screenshot thread.
Post 1
Post 2

I'm loving this game so far. It's so beautiful, and I love the way it plays. Dialog has been good so far, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom