• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Last night I was on my way to a new mission when I stumbled across two corrupted
Rockbreakers
, embroiled in a fight to the death with a
Behemoth
, a
Long Leg
and two
Snapmaws

I needed a
Snapmaw
lens, so I hung around and started raining fire arrows into the melee, before the two
Rockbreakers
emerged victorious (with most of their health intact) and turned thier sights on me.

Somehow, I survived
dodging hails of rock been thrown at me from every direction
and when I picked through the debris of these six hulking machines I got a whole bunch of rare upgrades that totally made it worth it.

Now, the last Ubi open world I played was AC: Syndicate and while I didn't get around to completing I remember mostly not doing anything remotely that exciting.

danowat

Banned
The point of my post was to voice my opinion on the game and how my perception of what it is has changed since the reviews hit - the whole point of the discussion forum you're on. Do you need to own the game and have played it to post in an OT now?

What sent me here was the Quick Look that Giant Bomb have done, which showed me a gameplay loop which seems entirely dull.

Because of your wholly negative stance, in multiple posts, of a game you haven't played, if you'd played it, and thought it was shit because of X,Y & Z, then fair play but you haven't.

The cynic in me would say you probably didn't have an interest in that game in the first place.

There is absolutely nothing ubisoft esque about this. And pulling out because it's an exclusive card doesn't help your argument one bit

I didn't use that as argument against the game. I used it as an argument against the hype before it's release, in a different thread, which was then quoted to try and 'discredit' my post in this thread.

This is my posts in the review thread FYI:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230647148&postcount=732

Surprised it's reviewed so well, it looked like a rather uninspired, Ubisoft-esque open world game to me.

The fact Jeff from Giant Bomb really likes it is what convinces me to try this sooner rather than later.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230649442&postcount=1341

So reading the reviews it seems like crap/filler side quests are the only real issue, which hopefully can be avoided.

Again, after the glowing reviews, I was prepared to think my first impressions were wrong, but I've now changed my mind again.

How anyone can think I have it out for this game is pure stupidity. I'm an adult with all consoles and no allegiances to any company. This game just looks to be a lot more plain than the views originally suggested to me. No need to get hurt feelings, you can still enjoy it.

Carcetti

Because I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen for myself not on what other GAF posters tells me I should think?

Isn't that the point of having critical thought?

Well, I'm basing my opinion on having played the game, and you're basing yours on not having played the game. I guess that's what we call the difference between a guess and an informed opinion.

For the record, I haven't been able to finish an Ubi open world game since Black Flag since I find them so boring. Horizon is not one of them.

xviper

i don't know why Gaf always defends sony exclusives no matter how many flaws they have

the game is NOTHING like the witcher 3

the game is obviously that it is heavily inspired by Far Cry, that does not mean it's bad, i love Far cry Series, but do not say this is similar to that masterpiece that is The witcher 3 because it's not

wapplew

I thought child Aloy looked super-cute. Especially her walking/running looked exactly how a child of that age would run :3

Her head look weird sometimes, like too big and too grown up.
Body and animation are good tho, just face and head wrong proportion.

Slaythe

i don't know why Gaf always defends sony exclusives no matter how many flaws they have

the game is obviously that it is heavily inspired by Far Cry, that does not mean it's bad, i love Far cry Series, but do not say this is similar to that masterpiece that is The witcher 3 because it's not

Have you played the game ?

Because it establishes very early on that this isn't far cry...

I said the same thing when I watched some gameplay a while back, but I am prepared to reserve my judgement till I've played it.
It's extremely polished and smooth in a way Ubisoft games can only dream to be, so don't worry about the comparison! You can tell they took influence from every type of open world game and cut out the annoying parts.

You can make this same claim about any new game release. Don't single out PS exclusives. Also, the Witcher 3 comparison is based on the open world feel not game quality.

Well it is inspired by Witcher 3. Anyone playing it would know.

And it doesnt mean about quality, just that the feel of it.

For the record I havent played any Far Cry games than the first, so for me, this reminds me a lot about The Witcher.

kyser73

Her head look weird sometimes, like too big and too grown up.
Body and animation are good tho, just face and head wrong proportion.

You know kids aren't perfectly proportioned, right? My son has what can generously be described as a big head for his body, but it's a feature that's becoming less & less noticeable as the rest of him grows and his head doesn't.

Tovarisc

There is absolutely nothing ubisoft esque about this. And pulling out because it's an exclusive card doesn't help your argument one bit
  • Shit ton of collecting and crafting
  • A lots of collectibles
  • Towers for mapping the world
Nothing Ubi esque, eh? If this was Ubi released game people would be ripping in just for those three. I'm hyped for this game and can't wait to get my copy tomorrow, but come on.

I look forward to the day where people stop comparing this game to previous unrelated games.

Few years later I'm still waiting for that day with TW3.

but do not say this is similar to that masterpiece that is The witcher 3 because it's not

In terms of quests and world building it's more like TW than FC. And Horizon's combat is miles better of course.

• A lots of collectibles
Nothing Ubi esque, eh? If this was Ubi released game people would be ripping in just for those three. I'm hyped for this game and can't wait to get my copy tomorrow, but come on.

Thing is, the new Zelda has those as well and you see far less Ubi comparions in those threads. You do get the feeling that people want to use it as a negative against Horizon. And for all that it resembles FC, it does many things differently as well. Lore, story, dialogue, quests, world building, combat to name but a few.

This is not exclusive to sony games you know that? And I seen your stance your elsewhere. And you're right it's not witcher 3 because horizon actually has great combat and so far I've not experienced crookbag framerate issue

Because of your wholly negative stance, in multiple posts, of a game you haven't played, if you'd played it, and thought it was shit because of X,Y & Z, then fair play but you haven't.

The cynic in me would say you probably didn't have an interest in that game in the first place.
If I had no interest I wouldn't be keeping my eye on it, reading reviews and watching footage.

AHindD

Wow didn't this thread turn into a giant fucking shit show. What is happening....
Looking forward to picking this game up tomorrow (when it launches in Australia, silly how we have to wait).

• A lots of collectibles

I'll give you towers, but how do the first two mean it's like a Ubisoft game, and not just like almost every other RPG? And Ubisoft games aren't even bad games.

Carcetti

• A lots of collectibles

The difference is in how it's done. Take the towers.

In a Ubi game there are a zillion towers that are practically all the same. In Horizon you have only 5 Tallnecks that not only move but are also in varied and increasingly hazardous environments where you have to find out where to start climbing on them and probably also having to tackle a bunch of enemies at the same time.

Just saying something like 'game has platforming' doesn't tell you if you're playing Mario or Bubsy.

SomTervo

I look forward to the day where people stop comparing this game to previous unrelated games.

News flash: games are inspired by one another and steal ideas from one another. As with all creative works.

Comparisons and related discussions are completely valid.

zkorejo

Wow didn't this thread turn into a giant fucking shit show. What is happening....
Looking forward to picking this game up tomorrow (when it launches in Australia, silly how we have to wait).

Im assuming many still dont have the game (like me) and those who do are too busy playing it than talking about it. In 2 days this thread will be just about the game. No comparisons, no other games, no bs.. just Horizon.

Once the game has been played and the honeymoon period is over, then and only then we will know where this game really stands. So anyone who is not sure, check out this thread in a week and you'll know the final verdict of neogaf.

cheesekao

• A lots of collectibles
2/3 of those are hardly an Ubisoft thing.

In a Ubi game there are a zillion towers that are practically all the same. In Horizon you have only 5 Tallnecks that not only move but are also in varied and increasingly hazardous environments where you have to find out where to start climbing on them and probably also having to tackle a bunch of enemies at the same time.

Just saying something like 'game has platforming' doesn't tell you if you're playing Mario or Bubsy.
You have to climb those things as a tower? Holy shit, that sounds awesome!

Melchiah

So, those NA players who have the digital deluxe edition, can the concept art be accessed outside of the game, and transferred to PC? If so, what's the file format, and image resolution?

silva1991

I'll give you towers, but how do the first two mean it's like a Ubisoft game, and not just like almost every other RPG?

It's all about the towers.

Witcher 3(and a billion other games) have collectibles and crafting.

Thing is, the new Zelda has those as well and you see far less Ubi comparions in those threads. You do get the feeling that people want to use it as a negative against Horizon. And for all that it resembles FC, it does many things differently as well. Lore, story, dialogue, quests, world building, combat to name but a few.

BoTW has crafting? I know it has cooking which is close enough.

UK gaf joins the party... ;)

aVoGaQs.jpg

kyser73

You have to climb those things as a tower? Holy shit, that sounds awesome!

Judging from the footage, accessing the heat-fin (I'm guessing that's what they are anyway) things on the Tallneck requires you to solve a route puzzle to get to a jump-off point, a combat encounter plus timing it all correctly when you jump on the thing as a couple of people have reported falling off the heat-fins.

I would guess the puzzle and challenge ramps up as you go into the game too.

level1

[*]A lots of collectibles
    [*]Towers for mapping the world

There are only
tallnecks, and each requires a different strategy to get to. Compare that to the million towers in a ubisoft game.

Also, the collectibles are complemented by a large amount of meaningful side content. So if you decide you don't care about collectibles at all you're not just left with the main story to follow.

Makikou

UK gaf joins the party... ;)

aVoGaQs.jpg

I got antsy-pantsy and bought the game off HK PSN Store so I could play it yesterday. Went from 18:00 to 0:00 before going to bed..

I think I still need to redeem the physical version I pre-ordered aswell.. It's LE...

A well spent 120eur on the game.. :D

xviper

looks like this is gonna turn into " is Horizon similar to a Ubisoft game or The witcher 3?" thread

just enjoy the game for what it is and be HONEST so you don't trick people into buying the game while they expect something else

Sanpei

Does this game have any AI ?

Bandits on camps are like brainless enemies...

And yes, this is better looking Far Cry Primal...Same type quests, gameplay etc...But this looks better for sure...

Tovarisc

In terms of quests and world building it's more like TW than FC. And Horizon's combat is miles better of course.

I'll give you towers, but how do the first two mean it's like a Ubisoft game, and not just like almost every other RPG? And Ubisoft games aren't even bad games.

2/3 of those are hardly an Ubisoft thing.

All three on the list are things for what Ubi games usually are getting shit, "They did XYZ and D again, lazy Ubidesign!" Horizon also has them and reason why someone could see Ubi-ish influence here just like people have been pointing out TW3 and TR Reboots. There is a lot influences from multiple titles and publishers, nothing wrong with that. When people notice said influences and point it out imo they shouldn't get downplayed for it. Game being Ubi influenced doesn't make it bad somehow. Most of Ubi stuff is quite legit, imo.

Topic of its own why e.g. extensive amount of collectibles and tower climbing is okay in game A, but huge negative against game B when that happens to be Ubi title.

idonteven

Does this game have any AI ?

Bandits on camps are like brainless enemies...

And yes, this is better looking Far Cry Primal...Same type quests, gameplay etc...But this looks better for sure...

same...gameplay ? what are you smoking

both use bow and spear and thats about it

Damn some people are really paranoid these days, still worrying about Ubisoft comparisons, even though most reviews have said it's really not an issue at all.

I'm so glad I can just enjoy games without worrying about such trivial things. Hopefully my copy arrives today, really looking forward to playing this now.

Damn some people are really paranoid these days, still worrying about Ubisoft comparisons, even though most reviews have said it's really not an issue at all.

I'm so glad I can just enjoy games without worrying about such trivial things. Hopefully my copy arrives today, really looking forward to playing this now.

Seriously. The game is fun, that's all that matters to me tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom