• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Oh? I haven't done a single one of those. Guess I will tonight.
Also don't forget to read the attached text for them, the audio recording that plays for them when you unlock one is only the intro to the log. The rest of the story is in the collectibles menu as text.

This game is why I continue to buy playstation the amazing 1st party.

Guerrilla fantastic job yet again.

I knew ps4 would take years to get to this stage though.

Mark Cerny was incorrect saying it was easier to develop for.

JawzPause

Read that horizon has sold over 2.6 million copies. Very impressive and I'm happy for GG. Pretty much confirms that a sequel will be made

Ridygo

Who can tell me which machines are in recon class?

I searched all the internet but can't find anything.

Why im asking is i complete the "All Machines Catalogued" trophy but "All Recon Machines Killed" trophy didn't pop up. And its the only one left for Platinium :(

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!

Why im asking is i complete the "All Machines Catalogued" trophy but "All Recon Machines Killed" trophy didn't pop up. And its the only one left for Platinium :(
Recon Class Watcher (Redeye Watcher) - Glinthawk - Longleg - Tallneck

Guessing it's the one in parenthesis.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've sunk at least 40 hours into this game, and I'm still not even halfway through the story yet. It's insane. Very few games have had me just in love with walking around the environment, hunting stuff, and taking lots and lots of screenshots.

I've been trying to balance my game time between Witcher 3 DLC, Nioh, LEGO Worlds, and Horizon. It's...hard. Then Mass Effect comes out, then Persona 5. My god I need more time. Well, Mass Effect I bought for my wife, but I think I bought Nier Automata too, it hasn't arrived yet, and I don't actually remember if I bought it, or was planning on buying it.

EDIT: Just checked, yup, I bought Nier. I have problems. I can't stop dicking around in Horizon enough to actually progress through the story. My goal was to not buy anymore new games until I cleared out some of my backlog. That plan crashed and burned. I'm in this thread to try and fight the urge to stay up until 4AM playing Horizon, especially because I have a job interview tomorrow afternoon. I already feel my resolve breaking. I just love this game so much!

Stalker
Longlegs
Watcher / Redeye Watcher

I take it you never did all the quest then?
Carja prison and the two bickering couple

Behemoth in the
sunfall
story mission is unmissable.

bosseye

Opened up Day Tower and was prepping to head into the desert areas then turned my back and headed back into Nora Lands for a bit; decided to explore the map to the west of Devil's Grief - awesome! Took out a corrupted zone, had a seriously epic fight on a frozen lake with 2 Glinthawks while being mobbed by Lancehorns. So good. And at the end of the valley was a load of
runined tanks, a road etc leading up to The Grave Hoard bunker
. So cool! Couldn't get in though, solid ice (Aloy commented on it). I hope I can come back here with something else and smash my way in.

It took me maybe 2 hours to make my way up there just exploring, fighting machines, crafting etc. Amazing game. I was on party chat with a mate and he was playing horizon too, both of us just having the best time.

Tomeru

Finished the game and even platinum'd it along tge way. What a ride!

Fighting is always fun, I never felt bothered during a fight. It's fluid and fast, and repositioning is actually helpful and encouraged.

Story is a mix of several of my favorite scifi games and movies, its just amazing. The best story in a long time. And a very cool final fight.

Could've been so much more amazibg than what it already is, and thats saying alot. I can't remember the last time I was excited for possibilities, while still loving what is there. Took me by surprise, and hit right at the feels. I just LOVE Aloy - she's awesome and cute af. Most importantly - she feels real.

Also, the first game where I actually use the share button willingly. Almost felt like a part of the game. Aloy going on a journey, taking pictures for her journal.

Favorite game of the year so far, and this is a years that started off amazing, and will continue to be amazing. Lucky no.7 indeed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cleared the meridian quest line, trials and all collectibles. Now to focus on the other main quest. Still have some side quests including the hunters lodge but might clear those up afterwards. Probably going to need a guide for the side quests just so I can check off the ones I've already done and find the missed ones on the map. Seems like if you don't remember to trigger every ! that you find in a town it'd be hard to remember where they were later on.

Had a fight which I took my overridden strider into and afterwards he was standing there sparking with only a little health left. Felt sorry for him so I put him out of his misery. Felt like the right thing to do.

TTG

Stealth is beyond busted once you invest in it enough.

A belated response, but I disagree. If they spot you, which happens if you shoot twice from the same spot no matter what(crouching in tall grass doesn't matter), you're pretty screwed. Dinos seem to communicate well so you need to break line of sight with everyone for them to lose you. I've been in all out sprints for 10 seconds or more and crouch slid into tall grass only to have some asshole ravager gather and then pounce to my exact location.

You get a whole lot of rope before bedlam ensues, but that's Far Cry's effect and it's a really good influence. Sitting in a corner watching patrol routes for 5 minutes is never fun, that breathing room allows for aggressive play as long as you can take out a target in one shot.

I've heard of people running outside the AI's designated zone and cheesing it that way, but that's not a function of an overpowered mechanic.

I nearly shit myself when I was on my steed running past herds yesterday and then all of a sudden a Sawtooth knocked me off. I had passed the guy at least 400 paces earlier but he was still aggro'd onto me for some reason.

KZObsessed

The story finally kicked in with the big sci-fi reveals. It's very interesting and not actually what I expected.

The Vantage point backstory is my favourite writing in the game though, perhaps any game? Really hits you hard, was welling up by the last entry.

Tomeru

Yes. If you played through almost the entire game in a stealth outfit like I did, those one hit kill melees are gonna be frustrating, but it's worth it. I don't want to say it's the right way to play, but when I see posts about melee combat, I just wonder why you would ever run up to a dino and just start whacking it with a spear.

There is a skill that lets you knock mid/big (not large) machines down in one R2 press. It's great fun to knock them just as they attempt the same one you. It makes sawtooths and the like very easy to deal with (knowck them down, then firearrow their canister and that's it).

silva1991

Considering CD Projekt Red and GG made these pics, maybe someone maybe someone should suggest a Witcher 3 reference too.
C56AGGkWcAAskuz-1024x730.jpg

C6A8W6FWYAA80BK.jpg

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Huntress senses.

Cyborg

Im level 21 but Im so underpowerd against everything that flys and the big boys.

My weapons just dont seem to be strong :( and I cant figure it out. Like I want to freeze an enemy but I cant, I fire 20 freeze arrows at them but still they are able to move.

Damn it.

danowat

Banned
Im level 21 but Im so underpowerd against everything that flys and the big boys.

My weapons just dont seem to be strong :( and I cant figure it out. Like I want to freeze an enemy but I cant, I fire 20 freeze arrows at them but still they are able to move.

Damn it.

Freezing doesn't actually freeze them...........(in terms of freezing them to a stop, the idea is to follow up with damage arrows that are then damage buffed due to freezing)

Wollan

Successfully freezing them enables 2x damage to all hits that follow.

Also the Glinthawks are ultimately freeze based and have tolerance for it. Try fire...
Remember there's a meter you have to fill up before it takes effect.

Skux

Damn it.

The Frozen elemental state doesn't actually freeze, it makes enemies vulnerable to damage. This is effective against Bellowbacks and bigger enemies like Thunderjaws and Stormbirds.

If you want to stun enemies, use Shock arrows/bombs/traps. This is good against Longlegs and Stalkers, and if you can time it right you can stunlock enemies and perform multiple critical hits for kills.

Glinthawks are weak against fire, and shooting a few fire arrows at them will burn them, causing them to go to ground, letting you whack them melee attacks or just blast them with bombs.

valkyre

Wouldn't recommend freeze against flying enemies.

Burn them and they will go down.

Freeze is OP. If you have the 3 bows in one shot skill, and high freeze stats, you can freeze almost anything with 1 shot...

Freeze state does not just make enemies vulnerable to damage it slows them down as well.

From then on its just silly how easy you can bring anything down.

IMO freeze needs to be nerfed a bit.

Tomeru

Nah burn them, ropecast and make them eat a blast bomb for good measure XD

Nah, tearblat some arrows into a thunderbird, freeze it, and thriple sharpshooter arrow with dmg mods it into the ground.

For glinthawks fire works best, unless you expose their freeze sack and hit it.

silva1991

Nah burn them, ropecast and make them eat a blast bomb for good measure XD

Now that's just sadistic :p

Freeze is OP. If you have the 3 bows in one shot skill, and high freeze stats, you can freeze almost anything with 1 shot...

Freeze state does not just make enemies vulnerable to damage it slows them down as well.

From then on its just silly how easy you can bring anything down.

IMO freeze needs to be nerfed a bit.

Never thought of bow for freeze damage let alone 3 arrows for some reason "regrets"

My slingshot was my freezing machine

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Considering CD Projekt Red and GG made these pics, maybe someone maybe someone should suggest a Witcher 3 reference too.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Huntress senses.

OT2: I have a ropecaster and tripcaster, they're both for monsters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom