• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

bombshell

That's the platinum achieved, what a game!

I finished up every sidequest in the game before taking on the final mission and ended up just short of 70 hours.

I got my platinum yesterday, took just over 54 hours in the end.

What can i say, a fantastic game with one of the most engaging stories i can remember in a long time. Voice acting was great and baring the occasional twitch the animations were great too. Of course its also a beautiful game with some of the most amazing scenery and lighting i have seen, walking through a half lit forest with the moonlight piercing the trees to give an ominous glow stopped me in my tracks more than once.

The characters i also thought were really great, very memorable and distinct and were all well written.

Robots are a tonne of fun, seeing them interact with each other, especially pitting them against each other is a lot of fun. I remember controlling one in a herd, then to have all of the others step up and for 1 wanna be leader to step forward to take on the intruder while all the others watched on. Was a pretty crazy moment for me that emphasised how impressive the game was.

This is also one of the only games that i actually bothered to read/listen through every data log. They were handled really well with some great world building and drip feeding of answers. It was also fascinating to see multiple entries for the same subject, one for the public and one internally. Made for some interesting and very sad reading
especially where discussing the protocol about euthanasia and how best to respect their decisions

I really cant wait for the sequel, especially to find out where the story is going.

HowZatOZ

Banned
How are people having so much trouble with glinthawks? Seriously,target breatsplate to break off the armour and shoot the chillwater sac enough to cause them to explode in winter goodness.

robo

On 68 hours so far, level 45, still 4 sets of hunter trials to do, last mission and generally just go fucking mental killing every machine I see,

Oh and photomode, let's not forget that!!

Found a cauldron I missed as well yesterday. So obviously had to finish it before bed, 1:am is a legit time for bed yes 😂

Got some logs to find as well so will revisit all the zones to see what I missed.

Also slaying, foxes, raccoons, rats, turkeys, fish for skins, even the create a job ain't helping 😭

Brilliant game

Apples_89

Am I the only one who is taken aback by the consistent clipping experienced when Aloy walks though small shrubs and plants? The tall grass moves and shifts nicely with her movement, but everything else seems extremely stagnant. For a game this polished, I realize that this is a very minor complaint, but I would argue that it is because the game is so beautiful that this issue sticks out far more than it would in another game. Every time it happens I just can't help but be taken out of the immersion a bit. Also, coming back to it after 60+ hrs of Zelda really makes me yearn for a 'climb anywhere' mechanic. Scouring a mountain for the one or two prescribed ascension paths is far less appealing than is used to be.

I haven't been lurching in this thread very much due to the potential for spoilers, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.

[NaK]

Am I the only one who is taken aback by the consistent clipping experienced when Aloy walks though small shrubs and plants? The tall grass moves and shifts nicely with her movement, but everything else seems extremely stagnant. For a game this polished, I realize that this is a very minor complaint, but I would argue that it is because the game is so beautiful that this issue sticks out far more than it would in another game. Every time it happens I just can't help but be taken out of the immersion a bit. Also, coming back to it after 60+ hrs of Zelda really makes me yearn for a 'climb anywhere' mechanic. Scouring a mountain for the one or two prescribed ascension paths is far less appealing than is used to be.

I haven't been lurching in this thread very much due to the potential for spoilers, so forgive me if this has already been discussed.
You're not alone.
The clipping through vegetation an the lack of effects in water is a bit odd.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
want to buy the game digitally.

the stuff you get in the digital deluxe edition...is it exclusive to that edition or can you unlock it later in the game in the standard edition?

LiK

Yea I complained about the lack of water effects the most here. I think the vegetation clipping and water effects weren't implemented to increase performance. Everything else looks excellent so it's obvious they made sacrifices. I'm sure the sequel will have a much more improved engine with those effects in it.

f@luS

More than a member.
Holy crap my pro is making so much noise for this game now. I've never had a console with so much noise. Doesn't bother me insanely but still wow

bombshell

want to buy the game digitally.

the stuff you get in the digital deluxe edition...is it exclusive to that edition or can you unlock it later in the game in the standard edition?

They're exclusive for now, but they're not in the best class of items so you should only get them for the looks.

Is there a way to see in game how many side quests I've done (so I can know how many are left)?

Yes, in the right most menu tab there's a game progression page.

So I guess I'll just gush a bit here, since crafting a post of all the things I love about this game would be impossible at this point...

I love a Aloy, her character, voice, aesthetic, etc

The music is phenomenal, blends with the environment, situation, etc...

It's difficult to list every individual thing I love about this game, but, yeah. Incredible, to say the very least.

I'll prolly post more eventually but goddamn GODDAMN this game is good.

LiK

So I guess I'll just gush a bit here, since crafting a post of all the things I love about this game would be impossible at this point...

I love a Aloy, her character, voice, aesthetic, etc

The music is phenomenal, blends with the environment, situation, etc...

It's difficult to list every individual thing I love about this game, but, yeah. Incredible, to say the very least.

I'll prolly post more eventually but goddamn GODDAMN this game is good.

Nice to have a main character who isn't an idiot or oblivious of what's going on. Aloy isn't fooled so easily.

Nice to have a main character who isn't an idiot or oblivious of what's going on. Aloy isn't fooled so easily.
Thats part of what i really liked about her, at no point did she beat around the bush. If someone said something stupid or rude she would always respond accordingly.

I especially loved seeing her knowledge grow throughout the game, seeing her having to learn new words and concepts but doing it all amazing well.

J-Skee

20k posts isn't it?

Oh, I had no idea. Okay, cool.

So guys, the H
eart of the
N
ora
mission. Seriously, if you haven't done this mission yet, run away from my post.

So, when exactly was the message from Gaia created? Years ago or that moment? She's talking as if she's talking to Sorbeck, but mentions the tribes outside. And if I'm going by the data logs, are we in the year 3021 or is that when Aloy was born? And WTF happened with Apollo & why couldn't the kids access it? Did the virus come from the Faro bots & then corrupted Hades? But the Faro bots should've been shut off by that point. If any of this gets answered eventually, then I guess I'll find out shortly, but holy shit, Aloy was created to basically save the new humanity.

So Breasts of the Wild is a no go?

Also I think I slightly spoiled myself with exploration. I haven't finished the Sundom quests yet. I was hunting down viewpoints when I came across this city in the west called
Sunfall
and someone
called me on my Focus and told me to stay away.
Then directly north from there I ran into an encampment of
Eclipse centered around where "the end began".
Then father North East I triggered a cutscene. Really weird that you can do that.

Oh, I had no idea. Okay, cool.

So guys, the H
eart of the
N
ora
mission. Seriously, if you haven't done this mission yet, run away from my post.

So, when exactly was the message from Gaia created? Years ago or that moment? She's talking as if she's talking to Sorbeck, but mentions the tribes outside. And if I'm going by the data logs, are we in the year 3021 or is that when Aloy was born? And WTF happened with Apollo & why couldn't the kids access it? Did the virus come from the Faro boys & then corrupted Hades? But the Faro bots should've been shut off by that point. If any of this gets answered eventually, then I guess I'll find out shortly, but holy shit, Aloy was created to basically save the new humanity.
The message was for Aloy I presume, should be like a year previous her birth but I'm just guessing. That would be the derangement everyone mentions.
The rest of your question will be answered later. ;)

Hooo laawd I've barely posted in this thread but I fought my first Stormbird last night and boy oh boy was that shit intense.

Rocked up the top of a snowy mountain in the north east looking to reach a vantage point (I'm addicted to finding these and their story; apocashitstorm is a brilliant word!) and came across the ferocious old massive bird.

Amazing and intense fight that lasted a good 10-15 mins. Laid the ground work with blast wires and fire traps all over the snowy peak to bring it down.

This game is Guerilla combat on steroids, love it!

Now to take on a thunderjaw lol

[NaK];232238159 said:
You're not alone.
The clipping through vegetation an the lack of effects in water is a bit odd.

Something to fix in the sequel
or DLC!?

wapplew

Horizon gone through a lot. It was compared to Farcry, witcher, TR, Zelda and now Mass effect...
I wonder how GG feel about that.

LiK

Horizon gone through a lot. It was compared to Farcry, witcher, TR, Zelda and now Mass effect...

To be compared to big games like that is an honor. Also, I said they improved a lot of what those games did which is a major compliment.

I got to Meridian last night, and it's an amazing city. I love how around the outside there's all the irrigation funnels leading to crops growing. Then the city itself feels really busy and bustling, even though from what I saw it's not too big. Haven't had a chance to play over the last few nights, but I'm probably about 15 hours in, and I'm loving it so far. I've only fought one Thunderjaw properly which was at the end of a Cauldron, and I've been bravely running away like Brave Sir Robin when I've seen others out in the wild.

What are you expecting them to feel? It has obvious similarities with Far Cry and The Witcher, and the comparisons with Tomb Raider aren't exactly surprising. Launching around the same time as Zelda and Mass Effect (two very acclaimed and well-established series) means of course they're going to be compared. The fact that Horizon holds its own extremely well and arguably does some things better than most of these games is high praise indeed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Being compared with some of the best games out there ? They would probably be ecstatic. The important thing however is even amidst these comparisons, Horizon managed to create it's own identity.

Not Drake

Okay I got a few quests in Meridian and I'm running around the western side of the world digging through side content (at 40% completion atm). I'm playing on hard and at level 25 I'm finding the game to be quite challenging now. I'm getting my ass kicked when packs of 2-3 sawtooths or tramplers are really dangerous to me. Stalkers and Ravagers are when shit hits the fan. Other than that the world continues to blow me away. It's so rich and full of life. Artstyle, graphical fidelity and draw distance helps to deliver it. Absolutely wonderful.

To be compared to big games like that is an honor. Also, I said they improved a lot of what those games did which is a major compliment.

What are you expecting them to feel? It has obvious similarities with Far Cry and The Witcher, and the comparisons with Tomb Raider aren't exactly surprising. Launching around the same time as Zelda and Mass Effect (two very acclaimed and well-established series) means of course they're going to be compared. The fact that Horizon holds its own extremely well and arguably does some things better than most of these games is high praise indeed.

Being compared with some of the best games out there ? They would probably be ecstatic. The important thing however is even amidst these comparisons, Horizon managed to create it's own identity.

Previews were always great so those comparisons are fine. People (players) compared the game with those with a negative connotation so I guess Wapplew refers to those type of comparisons.

Due to having a very busy schedule I've not been able to play this as much as I would like. That being said; I took down my first Stormbird last night. I tried fighting one a week or two ago, but was going about it all wrong. This time I didn't even get hit once; it was actually a really easy fight, it just took a little bit of time. Beast of a machine.

On a side note, when I had it roped to the ground and was close to it I experienced the first frame rate issues I've had with the game; the game seemed to stutter hard.

JJShadow

Oh boy, I've finally cleared all the collectibles, corrupted zones, bandit camps and hunting trials around the map and the only remaining thing is the final mission, but I don't really wanna it to end :( I've been so invested in this game that this is gonna be my first platinum since GoW 3 back in 2010, anything was a nice excuse to just wander around the beautiful world GG has created

valkyre

For those who love the game and its Lore, you guys should definitely read the entire Bashar Mati story (Vantages collectibles).

This is some of the best side stories I have read in a videogame in a long time. Great stuff.

LiK

For those who love the game and its Lore, you guys should definitely read the entire Bashar Mati story (Vantages collectibles).

This is some of the best side stories I have read in a videogame in a long time. Great stuff.

I thought it was just audio logs but I was blown away
when your Focus shows a glimpse of the past before the fall of humanity. Loved how it was scaled perfectly to the present landscape.
I wish there were more Vantage collectibles because of that.

bombshell

when your Focus shows a glimpse of the past before the fall of humanity. Loved how it was scaled perfectly to the present landscape.

Did you read the logs or only listened? The vantage point collectibles are more than audio logs and contain a very interesting text backstory.

valkyre

You have to read the logs. there is a very well written story in there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Okay I got a few quests in Meridian and I'm running around the western side of the world digging through side content (at 40% completion atm). I'm playing on hard and at level 25 I'm finding the game to be quite challenging now. I'm getting my ass kicked when packs of 2-3 sawtooths or tramplers are really dangerous to me. Stalkers and Ravagers are when shit hits the fan. Other than that the world continues to blow me away. It's so rich and full of life. Artstyle, graphical fidelity and draw distance helps to deliver it. Absolutely wonderful.

I like how the progression works with fighting. You start off and its scary and messy and you get hurt. Then you get used to how to fight and become a 'little' more comfortable. Then you get complacent and bite off more than you can chew when a surprise ravager joins the party along with a couple of glinthawks :)

It has that souls aspect of never really allowing you to be fully comfortable with any encounter as it can go south very quickly if you aren't concentrating.

DJDoubleCream

Neo Member
Is it me, or are the interiors, and cities lacking graphically? The open world is stunning, but as soon as i step in to a city
(Meridian for example)
, i lose the awe.

Dave_6

Man I love this game! Been taking my time with it doing side quests as they pop up, well minus the hunting lodge ones. I'm level 36 and just did my 3rd cauldron last night (
the one with all the humans inside and the collapsed roof
). I'm at the part of the main quest where
Sylens has me heading to the far west lower corner of the map
. Not sure how much of the main story I have left though.

Shooting a Longlegs in the chest with 3 sharpshot arrows at once is so satisfying!

carlsojo

How are people having so much trouble with glinthawks? Seriously,target breatsplate to break off the armour and shoot the chillwater sac enough to cause them to explode in winter goodness.

Glinthawks: Tie to ground with ropecaster; critical hit x 2

Alternatively: Tie to ground, override, watch sweet aerial battle between your hawk and enemy hawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom