• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Returned to Bloodborne DLC after having Platinumed Horizon. Controls & framerate are quite more syrupy (even w/Pro Boost mode). What have you done Guerrilla...

No

No no no no

I just finished horizon and found it amazing. I bought BB in November with my pro but was waiting for boost mode to play it. I was planning to start it after ME:A, but that isn't really getting me excited, so I was just gonna move on to BB

Don't tell me horizon ruined it for me =(

Part of me honestly wants to just start over again on very hard.

Finally got the 'switch upgrades' skill and I'm now officially a wizard.

Fireball ! max fire at range
Magic Missile ! max damage precision at cooling part
Lightning Bolt ! max shock when they get close
Cone of Cold ! max freeze on their helpless twitching bodies
Power Word: Kill ! point blank double max damage arrow to the frozen criticals
Improved Invisibility ! max stealth weaves
Stoneskin ! max melee resist weaves

EGM1966

No

No no no no

I just finished horizon and found it amazing. I bought BB in November with my pro but was waiting for boost mode to play it. I was planning to start it after ME:A, but that isn't really getting me excited, so I was just gonna move on to BB

BB remains the same exceptional game it is. The movement and combat in BB is a tad slower and more deliberate in Souls style based on knowing enemy moves, your own moves and when to time attacks.

Sure it feels slower than Horizon but Horizon is faster paced without a lock and with a lot less focus on controlled melee combat.

In short Apples to Oranges.

If anything I suspect it's Mass Effect that's going to feel too stiff and clunky after Horizon.

bombshell

The point is that if it's a big spoiler, like the end cutscene for example, why post about it outside of the actual spoiler thread at all.

People come into the OT to share their experiences of playing through the game, some will be halfway through, some will just be starting out, etc... Why take the risk of ruining a big part of the story for somebody. The spoiler thread exists for a reason.

And I never clicked on it, thankfully.

Yeah, I can understand that.

In fact I avoided this thread in fear of spoilers for a long time until I was through the game myself, since I don't have time to quickly blow through the game. But I don't mind posting of spoilers when they are clearly marked like that one was. Also, I'm glad you wasn't spoiled by clicking on it.

TsuWave

Wait what? I didnt get that?

don't click spoilers if you haven't finished it
the npc's that you do quests with/for come to help you and have cool dialogue for the last mission. on my playthrough i killed olin so he's the only one i didn't see when i went to inspect the defenses but i'm sure if you spare him he's there at the end too. it was really cool actually

vivekTO

85100cd3_o.png

Just quoting for the pic

danowat

Banned
Damn, playing HZD after playing ME:A trial just makes me see just how good HZD is.

Also, the person in the thread who mentioned the vantage points being a great part of the game wasn't wrong, it would be easy to dismiss them as rote ubi-ism filler collectables, but they are really well done and give a nice window (literally) on things before the apocoshitstorm.

thatJohann

I'm liking this game a lot but I need it to end already. Don't have enough time for long games like this. I'm 25 hours in. Hope it ends soon!

bosseye

Killed a Stormbird. It took literally 15 minutes, the bugger just wouldn't stay still. Even pinned with ropes it kept rotating to face me so I couldn't get a shot at his blaze cannisters. Got most of his engines off except for two which I couldn't hit. And then an Npc got the final strike in and I don't believe I got the XP.

Also had a go at my first Thunderjaw, holy shit! Epic. I plugged away at this guy for got to be 10 minutes, got his cannons off, used his disc launchers on him, got him down to a sliver of health....then strayed too far from his area trying to heal, and he reset with full health again ;_;

Think I need some better tactics for both, it can't be right to spend that long on these guys.

Just not my day.

Damn, playing HZD after playing ME:A trial just makes me see just how good HZD is.

Also, the person in the thread who mentioned the vantage points being a great part of the game wasn't wrong, it would be easy to dismiss them as rote ubi-ism filler collectables, but they are really well done and give a nice window (literally) on things before the apocoshitstorm.
The backstory behind the metal flowers and the poem within them are pretty interesting too.

bombshell

Killed a Stormbird. It took literally 15 minutes, the bugger just wouldn't stay still. Even pinned with ropes it kept rotating to face me so I couldn't get a shot at his blaze cannisters. Got most of his engines off except for two which I couldn't hit. And then an Npc got the final strike in and I don't believe I got the XP.

Also had a go at my first Thunderjaw, holy shit! Epic. I plugged away at this guy for got to be 10 minutes, got his cannons off, used his disc launchers on him, got him down to a sliver of health....then strayed too far from his area trying to heal, and he reset with full health again ;_;

Think I need some better tactics for both, it can't be right to spend that long on these guys.

Just not my day.

Did you fully pin down the stormbird with ropes? I don't think it should move while fully rope stunned.

bombshell

The backstory behind the metal flowers and the poem within them are pretty interesting too.

Hmm, I'm not sure I caught the backstory to them.

Ending spoilers ahead!
Is it related to the similar looking flower formation around Elisabet when Aloy finds her body that is also around all the metal flowers?

This game was extremely easy. But the character and my hunger to know the story drove me to finish the game.

I have to say tho this game is extremely polished.

I just wish they had a bigger budget. So there was more. I wish they add parkour elements on the sequel. Dodging enemies with jumps and slides, litty.

Oh and if they patch in movement to the plants like uncharted 4. Ill go back to it.. just for that.

Hmm, I'm not sure I caught the backstory to them.

Ending spoilers ahead!
Is it related to the similar looking flower formation around Elisabet when Aloy finds her body that is also around all the metal flowers?
Yup, GAIA planted all the metal flowers as a tribute to Elisabet T.T

MaKTaiL

This game was extremely easy. But the character and my hunger to know the story drove me to finish the game.

I have to say tho this game is extremely polished.

I just wish they had a bigger budget. So there was more. I wish they add parkour elements on the sequel. Dodging enemies with jumps and slides, litty.

Oh and if they patch in movement to the plants like uncharted 4. Ill go back to it.. just for that.
What difficulty did you play on?

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
...I don't mind posting of spoilers when they are clearly marked like that one was. Also, I'm glad you wasn't spoiled by clicking on it.

I'm not a precious flower when it comes to this stuff, don't mistake me. Spoiler culture can get a bit ridiculous at times, but I do think posting end-game information outside the spoiler thread should be avoided, so close to release. Call it a pet hate.

I'll drop it though, nobody likes a backseat mod.

EL CUCO

Got the Plat just under 59 hrs. I thought it was gonna take me longer but with all the fast travel points and Shield Weaver Outfit save you a lot of time.

Mathieran

Banned
I've now killed every robot in my notebook.

Storm bird this morning. I had a tough time hitting its weak spots so the fight took a while but it didn't do too much damage to me. I liked at the end it was so tore up it couldn't fly anymore. Great fight.

Not as good as my first B
ehemoth
encounter though. It was traveling along the road with a long leg, totally surprised me but I found cover before they spotted me. I was gonna just let it pass but couldn't resist myself. I shot a bunch of tear blast arrows at it to start and then corrupted the long legs.

I don't really know what happened cause everything was chaos but a whole herd of scrappers showed up (at least 6), so I'm dodging and running trying to shoot while I can. So I decided to corrupt the big guy while he took out the scrappers. By this point he was down to about 25% health so I just chipped away a little more then finished it off with my sling.

Awesome.

Zocano

So I've dumped a good bit of time into the game so far (I'd say like 15-20 hours?). I'm working my way through the much more open section of the map.

Killed a (the?) rockbreaker and cleared my 2nd cauldron.

Man that rockbreaker is exactly what I was looking for in this game. More gimmick-y focused encounters that heavily push you towards playing a bit differently. I really hope that wasn't the only one in the game but something tells me it is.

I feel like the game isn't 100% sure what it wants to be and half commits in some directions that weaken the overall design. Whether it wants to be a heavily structured 'monster hunter' or a checklist smorgasbord open world game or a something else entirely. It doesn't quite fit together very neatly.

I'm still of the opinion that loot systems are the bane of solid gameplay and encounter design but at least Horizon doesn't lean that hard in a loot dumpfest of endless different nothing weapons. That said, I wish there was a bit more variety to the weapons? The tools themselves, at least the point I have played, don't quite feel as varied as I would like? The follow up question to that is, well, what would I like to see, but I'm not quite sure on that. There doesn't seem to be tooo much reason why there has to be traps and tripwire or why they cap you on the number of rocks you have when it doesn't really affect anything and you should just have an unlimited supply of dispensable throwables.

I don't think different status effects doesn't quiiite cut it. The hook line seems like a good direction but that itself is closer to just a status effect applier than how you intuitively think it works. There is a degree of actual tethering but you don't really need "smart" tethering to succeed. You can just spam in the same spot and you'll get the same final desired outcome.

I am really liking the combat but, going back the rockbreaker, I want encounters that force me to rethink how I approach an enemy. Like really force me and not just "oh maybe I'll do this this time". I haven't faced all the enemy types, I imagine, so I hope to see some more of those interesting types of encounters. At the moment, most enemies are still a bit too susceptible to "roll, shoot, roll, shoot".

And I am playing on Very Hard after I heard from impressions that it can be pretty easy.

I really wish there was actual dynamic climbing. I feel like I would feel differently about encounter design if there was more verticality available to me but there... isn't really any. It's almost exclusively flat open spaces to (literally) roll around in. For some of the creatures, that's fine, it's necessary. But I feel the game just feels too restraining to me. I'm not expecting Breath of the Wild levels (because that's mad) but closer to Uncharted would be nice. In a way this is a complaint of open world game design and how you lose more structured and interesting encounter design to try and just make bigger spaces.

Theman2k

So I Platinumed the game, and got In-Game 100% completion.

BUT I am missing tons of data/voice files, Any good map/guide to find them all ?

I HAVE to find them all and listen/read them! The story is so good.

wapplew

So I suck at shooting. How the hell am I gonna play through this game?

I'm suck at shooting too, maybe turn the difficulty down, use more trap and stealth play, concentration skill slowdown time also help.
Sling build not very aim dependent.

Mathieran

Banned
So I suck at shooting. How the hell am I gonna play through this game?

I'm a pretty bad aim myself. There is a slowdown focus that's on a cool down that can help you hit the tough shots. There's also a couple weapons that you can use up close where aim isn't as critical although arrows will always be your primary weapon.

Sayad

Returned to Bloodborne DLC after having Platinumed Horizon. Controls & framerate are quite more syrupy (even w/Pro Boost mode). What have you done Guerrilla...

No

No no no no

Boost mode can't help BB because it rarely have frame drops, and that's what boost mode can(and does in BB's case) fix. BB's real issue is frame pacing and boost mode can't really fix that.

madmackem

Ok I will admit this game wasn't clicking with me, I could see how well made and fucking amazing looking it was but after ten hours or so prior to zelda it didn't click. Well fast forward nearly fifty hours into zelda thought I'd jump back in and it's clicked and clicked in a big way, I think I love this more than Zelda in almost every aspect now. Strange how a game can just click for you after it just not at all.

GNOSIS

Thanks for all the advice. I have been running a LOT. I like to use a spear and play stealthy. It's so fun killing unknowingly robots one by one.

Every time I tried to shoot, I missed... Even with slowdown. This is why I don't play FPS.

I just finished the second boss maybe? The boss after
the Proving
The Corruptor
I think? It took me a few tries to beat it because I didn't think I was supposed to use a spear with it... Thousands of misses and rollings later, I finally beat it.

I'm playing on Normal. I think I might try Easy later on if my skills don't improve because I have a feeling that it will get harder for me.

Anyway, I love the game so far. First action game I play in awhile. The story is interesting and surprisingly emotional sometimes. I'm playing this quite slow so I feel like I still have plenty of hours to enjoy this before Persona 5 hits.

Thanks for all the advice. I have been running a LOT. I like to use a spear and play stealthy. It's so fun killing unknowingly robots one by one.

Every time I tried to shoot, I missed... Even with slowdown. This is why I don't play FPS.

the Proving
The Corruptor
I think? It took me a few tries to beat it because I didn't think I was supposed to use a spear with it... Thousands of misses and rollings later, I finally beat it.

I'm playing on Normal. I think I might try Easy later on if my skills don't improve because I have a feeling that it will get harder for me.

Anyway, I love the game so far. First action game I play in awhile. The story is interesting and surprisingly emotional sometimes. I'm playing this quite slow so I feel like I still have plenty of hours to enjoy this before Persona 5 hits.

You'll get other weapons that deal damage and can help you. You probably won't be able to spear your way out of a lot of battles.
Early game your best friend should be the Tripcaster Wire, especially the shock type, it stuns most machines (even the big ones) and allows you to do a critical strike on them and you even have time to deal some light spear damage as well.
You'll get other weapons beside the bow that can be used as a big damage dealer but if you use them as main weapons you'll probably need to farm quite often because they eat a lot of resources. Anyway, you don't need to be skilled with precision to have a good time in combat but you'll need to find that click that makes it fun.

During the quest Honor The Fallen, when you have to get a sun priest out of the way in order to allow Oseram workers to pray, one of the NPCs is voiced by Geralt Of Rivia's VA. You can only greet him, not have a conversation.

So weird to hear his voice in such a tiny role

During the quest Honor The Fallen, when you have to get a sun priest out of the way in order to allow Oseram workers to pray, one of the NPCs is voiced by Geralt Of Rivia's VA. You can only greet him, not have a conversation.

So weird to hear his voice in such a tiny role

I think he might voice other npc as well, pretty sure I heard his voice in some village.

the Proving
The Corruptor

The aim assist is VERY generous. Just make sure that your bow is pulled way back and you'd be fine as long as the circular crosshair is at the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom