• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

lionpants

For those playing on an OLED TV...

Do you find the lighting too dark at times? The lightning just drastically changes when running around and moving the camera. Specifically night time. When I move the camera around at night, the scene will go from perfect visibility to very dark.

I mean... I guess it's realistic but I honestly think it's a bug with the lightning engine or something that maybe isn't as visible on an IPS panel. It does it during conversations too when the camera angles change.

EDIT: Did some googling. This guy explains it better.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ne-playing-horizon-zero-dawn-hdr-lg-oled.html
Here's a video I just took of what I'm talking about.

http://dai.ly/x5f66vo

That's awesome. :)

I've updated the link with the latest gifs and will just add any new ones to there as well.

haha that's awesome, your gifs are always amazing man kudos.

Anyone disappointed with the hunters lodge loot? Took me hours completing them all for basically free shadow weapons :/

Yes, a quest and an errand. Talk to people in Free Heap, someone will give you a quest, eventually it will involve Petra.

Go to Free Heap, like someone else said. It's in the eastern part of the Carja lands, right past the northern gate from Nora territory.

Petra's pretty awesome. One of my favorite side characters, for sure.

Brilliant. Just got the platinum but totally worth going back in just for that.

Thanks guys

vivekTO

That's awesome. :)

I've updated the link with the latest gifs and will just add any new ones to there as well.

I am Jelly right now :p

m3frjxt.png

Also, Lol
22zbMKX.png

and he is
y2QxinL.png

ElyrionX

Just fought my first Stalker. That attack hits really hard.

What does it mean when an enemy is weak to shock or ice? Do they go down faster to those elements? Because shock and ice do no damage right? And when they get disabled by the ice or shock, how should I attack them? Aim for weak spots with Hardpoints?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It would be fun if Bioware could attain this level of quality in term of animations. :s Mass Effect made by GG is intriguing to me, which is not something I would of said at the start of the year. :p

I have a feeling if we got Mass Effect by GG it would be nothing like Mass Effect especially with stuff like super hot blue alien babes who can hook up with any species. The Mass Effect universe is pretty eye rolling in a lot of ways and I feel GG avoided a lot of the issues that Bioware still suffers from right off the bat.

What does it mean when an enemy is weak to shock or ice? Do they go down faster to those elements? Because shock and ice do no damage right? And when they get disabled by the ice or shock, how should I attack them? Aim for weak spots with Hardpoints?
You're right about the effects of shock and freeze and you should followup by tearing off their armor and parts using hardpoint/tearblast arrows or ropecast them so they'll be stunned/shocked longer. A good thing to keep in mind is that frozen enemies take triple damage
Doing the sidequest
Hammer and Steel
right now, and I just about lost it when Aloy went off on the bickering couple lmao.
Yup one of my favourite quest in the game

Well if you got the platinum you already did them since those are required for it. :p

Actually no, she was there at the end, but she also did act like we were meeting for the first time.

She introduced herself and didn't talk about anything else besides the cannon next to her.

Trust me, I would have remembered if I had seen her before. I never did any quest that had her involved.

I did think it was weird that she'd be the only stranger here, surrounded by all my allies.

I believe it just means that the meter fills up faster from those elements. In the case of fire it actually does do more damage, of course.

If you're asking specifically about Stalkers, yeah, my strategy was typically to throw a shock bomb at them, do a scan, and then go ham with hardpoint arrows. Most times I could get every single component in a single stun. After that it's a simple matter of burning it down with blast bombs, or whatever else you want to use. A Stalker with no stealth and no gun just kind of flails around until it dies.

silva1991

Funny how GG has completely changed tiers over the last couple of months.

At least in my perception.

They went from OKish first party studio to top tier developer and maker of Kojima's new engine.

Must be fun times at Guerilla right now.

Kojima-at-Guerrilla-Games-7.jpg

Yeah really happy for GG

My save says I'm at almost 70 hours played.
I'm not even done with the story yet and at 69% completion.

That can't be right :D
Although I spend a lot of time just hunting and appreciating the world and taking screenshots...

I have 3500 shards, what should I buy? Only have purple shadow hunter bow and tearblaster. Rest are blue...some green. I know you get purple weapons with Hunter trials but I only have 2/5 done I fear it will be near end game before I get those weapons and I kinda want some shock/freeze arrows now as well as shock blast tripcaster.

Also I need an outfit, should I buy the nora protector? Currently rocking the blue one.

Actually no, she was there at the end, but she also did act like we were meeting for the first time.

She introduced herself and didn't talk about anything else besides the cannon next to her.

Trust me, I would have remembered if I had seen her before. I never did any quest that had her involved.

I did think it was weird that she'd be the only stranger here, surrounded by all my allies.

Weird she wasn't for me, didn't even know about her but since I wasn't getting the throphy I thought I was missing some quests so I found her, finished her quests and when I went back to the main optional quest she was there.
Odd...

I have 3500 shards, what should I buy? Only have purple shadow hunter bow and tearblaster. Rest are blue...some green. I know you get purple weapons with Hunter trials but I only have 2/5 done I fear it will be near end game before I get those weapons and I kinda want some shock/freeze arrows now as well as shock blast tripcaster.

Also I need an outfit, should I buy the nora protector? Currently rocking the blue one.
I'd go for purple sharpshot, ropecaster, both slings and finally war bow. As for armor, it's advisable to keep more than one type of outfit so you can handle any situations but usually I wear the heavy armor with the elemental protection
Also don't go too crazy on the shopping spree since you need the materials to craft things = )

Congrats to Sunhi

I'd go for purple sharpshot, ropecaster, both slings and finally war bow. As for armor, it's advisable to keep more than one type of outfit so you can handle any situations but usually I wear the heavy armor with the elemental protection
Also don't go too crazy on the shopping spree since you need the materials to craft things = )

Congrats to Sunhi

Thanks.

Also can't wait for Sunhi GT Sport webms..

What's the point of the create job option for specific items? I've tried this several times now for various items now and it doesn't do anything - it's just normal drop rates.

danowat

Banned

This was my major sticking point with the game, once you figure out the way the combat mechanics work, you're golden.

FWIW, something I didn't realise was (and is pretty self explanatory thinking about it) there are weak points and weaknesses on mechs that aren't highlighted by focus.

A legit strategy for legged beasts is hitting leg joints, take the armour plates covering the joint off with a hard point arrow and follow up on the joint with a normal arrow and you can send the mech flailing to the ground, similarly with bird tails and wings.

there is a heck of a lot of nuance with the combat, so much that if you're not that way inclined to dig deep and find everything out for yourself, then it's very easy to gloss over it.

Did you check the handling rating? Put some handling mods on the ropecaster and that thing flies
Better handling.

Ah gotcha...will try that with the ropecaster as well thanks!

I'm like level 40 and just started the Meridian main quests lol. Was trying to finish early before ME but all the negative press surrounding it now I will probably take my time and play it after a couple of patches are released.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sunhi should have been hired by a studio a long time ago. not only would he be a massive asset in the marketing department, he also has an amazing eye for lighting, action framing and camera work. he could even work with dev teams to provide valuable feedback on the overall look and feel of the game.

Sony marketing team needs to hire him so that every studio from ND to Santa Monica and GG are sending him clips he can make gifs off of. Screenshots and gameplay videos are so last gen. gifs are how you advertise your game in this day and age on instagram and twitter.

Ah gotcha...will try that with the ropecaster as well thanks!

I'm like level 40 and just started the Meridian main quests lol. Was trying to finish early before ME but all the negative press surrounding it now I will probably take my time and play it after a couple of patches are released.
All the lodge weapons are fast as hell but the ropecaster is the highlight.

As for ME, I'm feeling kinda bummed for my friend since he was so eager for our group to get the game so we can play the mp but it's not looking so likely now :(

Skux

Do you find the lighting too dark at times? The lightning just drastically changes when running around and moving the camera. Specifically night time. When I move the camera around at night, the scene will go from perfect visibility to very dark.

I mean... I guess it's realistic but I honestly think it's a bug with the lightning engine or something that maybe isn't as visible on an IPS panel. It does it during conversations too when the camera angles change.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ne-playing-horizon-zero-dawn-hdr-lg-oled.html

I think it's an overaggressive HDR or camera exposure implementation.

This is easily noticable when lighting a campfire at night. Let the campfire light fill the screen and the exposure decreases harshly to let the fire be seen in detail but blacking out almost everything else.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.

I find that very same issue when playing with HDR on.

Some TVs simply shouldn't do HDR if their specs don't meet the standard of image improvement.

I don't know how bright OLEDs get, but if they're not high up there in peak luminance then you're gonna see this loss of detail in dark images.

HDR on my Sony X850D brought the brightness way down, to the point where clambering hills or ruins at night was even more hazardous (fell to my death once before frustration fully set in).

There was hardly an improvement even in daytime images either. That discrepancy in brightness and darkness HDR is touted for was far too subtle, borderline indiscernible on my TV.

Supposedly the one to get from Sony is the one up from mine, but apparently the response time is atrocious as are the viewing angles.

(I know none of this applies to you, OLED Master race and all, I'm just venting lol)

TheFatMan

Just finished the final mission and completed the game with a 85% completion percentage.

What a game! The ending was amazing and even brought a quick tear to my eye. The entire final quest was just as epic as I was hoping for, the final fight wasn't that hard but I feel that way only because the game prepared me to be a bad ass robot killing machine by that point.

GG just nailed it with this game. I will remember it as one of the best games I have ever played.

bombshell

Is there any chance of them announcing a DLC at E3 this year?

Hermen Hulst already announced that they're working on an expansion in the 2 weeks sales milestone press release a couple of days ago.

As for announcement with a trailer, E3 is a good shout I think, if not a bit to soon.

I'd recommend the Shadow Sling for your next purple weapon. That'll give you all three elemental bombs, it's a very versatile weapon. You already have the Hunter Bow, and off the top of my head none of the other third-tier ammo types were especially vital. The Shadow Ropecaster just a straight-up better version, so that's not a bad choice. I'd say just go with whatever weapons you find yourself using the most, for the extra mod slot.

Nora Protector is absolutely a good investment. I ended up using that as my go-to for any combat situation, slotting in weaves for whatever element I was up against. Nothing in this game hurts as much as the melee damage, so I never felt like the element-specific gear made a compelling case for itself.

Holy shit that's the trailer move. If someone could recreate the first trailer fight that would be ��

Oh shit, I should go back and watch that first trailer again. It's amazing how much the actual game lived up to the promise of the reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom