• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesekao

All three on the list are things for what Ubi games usually are getting shit, "They did XYZ and D again, lazy Ubidesign!" Horizon also has them and reason why someone could see Ubi-ish influence here just like people have been pointing out TW3 and TR Reboots. There is a lot influences from multiple titles and publishers, nothing wrong with that. When people notice said influences and point it out imo they shouldn't get downplayed for it. Game being Ubi influenced doesn't make it. Most of Ubi stuff is quite legit, imo.

Topic of its own why e.g. extensive amount of collectibles and tower climbing is okay in game A, but huge negative against game B when that happens to be Ubi title.
Sorry but I'm not one of those people who shits on ubisoft for having those elements so your argument doesn't apply to me. Different games can have similar elements but different execution which is why I try to stay away from shallow and reductive comparisons.

From the amount of time you've spent hanging around in other Horizon threads I figured you'd actually know the answer to that question.

I had like 6 posts in a thread with 10.000 replies. Why the hell would you go the lengths to remember my name lmao. I barely read that thread by the way.

Tovarisc

Tovarisc and sammy seem hellbent on stirring shit despite their protests, and everyone keeps giving them attention, I guess.

I guess it was inevitable, considering how the review thread really wasn't that bad by GAF standards.

Hellbent? Yeah, don't pull me into that hyperbole bullshit. I just commented on discussion and thats it. I have zero interest to shit on game for which I have a lots interest and can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow.

Why Sony, WHY? :/ 1st of March release date is weeeird. I want it now.

KooopaKid

Banned
I didn't use that as argument against the game. I used it as an argument against the hype before it's release, in a different thread, which was then quoted to try and 'discredit' my post in this thread.

This is my posts in the review thread FYI:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230647148&postcount=732

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=230649442&postcount=1341

Again, after the glowing reviews, I was prepared to think my first impressions were wrong, but I've now changed my mind again.

How anyone can think I have it out for this game is pure stupidity. I'm an adult with all consoles and no allegiances to any company. This game just looks to be a lot more plain than the views originally suggested to me. No need to get hurt feelings, you can still enjoy it.

Funny, I'm in the same boat, I changed my mind several times. I'm at the point where I need to play it to form a definite opinion but before playing it, I know for sure I won't like the following:
- Quest markers and hand-holding.
- Follow that trail using "detective mode" missions.
- I found the arrows lack impact when hiting the robots. I don't find the feedback satisfying.
- Some of their health bars seem to take forever to deplete.
- Not compulsive reasons to fight the same robots again and again after a while.
- Combat against humans.
- Non interactive environnements (The vegetation, water don't react to Aloy)
- Too much dialogs
- The vertical slice shown first at E3 seem to be 80% of what you do in the game. All the footage is showing very similar scenarios, lacks gameplay diversity for me.
- It reminds me a lot of several of the gameplay mechanics of Rise of the Tomb Raider and I couldn't play it for more than 4 hours (Completed and loved the first though, but I need change now)

So as you can see I have a lot of reserves.
Sometimes I'm wrong in my impressions (rarely though), I was wrong about The Last Of Us for instance. And EDGE gave Horizon a 9 so...
But Gamekult a 7, which is still good. Those 2 outlets are my reference point usually.

Does this game have any AI ?

Bandits on camps are like brainless enemies...

And yes, this is better looking Far Cry Primal...Same type quests, gameplay etc...But this looks better for sure...
Oh I remember you saying the same shit last time. You also said Aloy was ugly and questioned whether she was a boy or girl

panty

And yes, this is better looking Far Cry Primal...Same type quests, gameplay etc...But this looks better for sure...

Geez, why even bother posting in this thread with your post history.

Makikou

What ? That's impossible... BotW is way much better than this...Better exploration, much better main character, music, enemies, puzzles, gameplay etc etc...

This is just like Far Cry Primal with robot dinos...Just it is

^ Posted 7.2.2017, a month before either game releases.

Some people think they are untraceable with their trolling lmao.

Wish I was home playing this game tho. Just started to wrap up the beginning things.. So good!

ieatzombies

This game. The combat is fucking amazing and tight! I actually love using the spear for stealth and critical hits and kills. The picture mode is getting a workout from me as well. So good

Funny, I'm in the same boat, I changed my mind several times. I'm at the point where I need to play it to form a definite opinion but before playing it, I know for sure I won't like the following:
- I found the arrows lack impact when hiting the robots. I don't find the feedback satisfying.
- Not compulsive reasons to fight the same robots again and again after a while.
- Combat against humans.
- Too much dialogs
- The vertical slice shown first at E3 seem to be 80% of what you do in the game. All the footage is showing very similar scenarios, lacks gameplay diversity for me.
- It reminds me a lot of several of the gameplay mechanics of Rise of the Tomb Raider and I couldn't play it for more than 4 hours (Completed and loved the first though, but I need change now)

Sometimes I'm wrong in my impressions (rarely though), I was wrong about The Last Of Us for instance. And EDGE gave Horizon a 9 so...
But Gamekult a 7, which is still good. Those 2 outlets are my reference point usually.
I don't agree with all of these being negatives, but yes, you are in the same boat as me with many of the obvious design decisions not appealing to you.

- Combat against humans.
- Too much dialogs

You're probably gonna be wasting your money if you buy this game, then. :(

zkorejo

If I remember correctly, Gamecritics gave UC4 a 5/10.

This is the first time I have heard of Gamecritics (mission accomplished guys!), I am pretty sure they are not really big or am I mistaken?

I'm curious, does MC include scores given to a game by anyone or is there a procedure to be recognized by MC?

I'm asking because it always happens with every game that people are hyped for. There is always that 1 reviewer with is bs review score.

15 hours in. I don't think anyone could do this better than Guerilla.

Not even
image.php
?

Wish I was home playing this game tho. Just started to wrap up the beginning things.. So good!

That's just sad.

Also 6.5 from that site and not even finishing the game, that is just lazy. Should be delisted from metacritic. You cant hide behind opinion if your to fucking lazy to even complete a 30 hour game.

aravuus

Hellbent? Yeah, don't pull me into that hyperbole bullshit. I just commented on discussion and thats it. I have zero interest to shit on game for which I have a lots interest and can't wait to pick up my copy tomorrow.

Why Sony, WHY? :/ 1st of March release date is weeeird. I want it now.

Many, maybe even most of your comments in this thread have been of the "it's not THAT good/beautiful/original!" variety, whether it's about the graphics, enemy variety or gameplay, which really just comes across as you being bothered by the fact that others are way more excited than you are.

Now the thread shouldn't be an echo chamber by any means, by which I obviously mean that negative opinions shouldn't be stifled, but random gotchas here and there really only do nothing but shit up the thread. Somebody thinks the game's better looking than anything on PC? Who fucking cares. Somebody mentions better enemy variety than game x? Who fucking cares.

Just chill out and enjoy the game when it's out.

e: before you say "nothing good comes out of hyperbole" - we're in a contained video game OT on NeoGAF, nothing bad will come out of it either. You don't have to personally right every single post you perceive as wrong here. Just let people get excited over the game if they want to.

vivekTO

Many, maybe even most of your comments in this thread have been of the "it's not THAT good/beautiful/original!" variety, whether it's about the graphics, enemy variety or gameplay, which really just comes across as you being bothered by the fact that others are way more excited than you are.

Now the thread shouldn't be an echo chamber by any means, by which I obviously mean that negative opinions shouldn't be stifled, but random gotchas here and there really only do nothing but shit up the thread. Somebody thinks the game's better looking than anything on PC? Who fucking cares. Somebody mentions better enemy variety than game x? Who fucking cares.

e: before you say "nothing good comes out of hyperbole" - we're in a contained video game OT on NeoGAF, nothing bad will come out of it either. You don't have to personally right every single post you perceive as wrong here. Just let people get excited over the game if they want to.

But please , we need to stop tricking people into buying this game!!

Sanpei

those comments were after watchin gameplays...Now i played and i was right...

Defence is too strong with this game. I had seen same type fans for Killzone 2...Somethings never change

FiraB

Banned
Loving it. Been playing on very hard and its perfect, makes the enemies an actual threat. AI isnt the greatest for human enemies and even dinos suffer in this department in my opinion but damn if it isnt enjoyable to take down a big dino threat.

Also the tripcaster is priceless, most stupidly useful thing after bombs, arrows can fck off because monster hunter barrel style is pure win.

"Some of their health bars take forever to deplete"
I'm surprised i'm not seeing more of this, i can just imagine a ton of people just firing arrows at something till it dies. The game teaches you the basics, and if you do the trials it will really help teach you some advanced strategies, but since these are optional....you might be forced into a situation where you just gotta figure these monsters out.

Man this game starts slow. Some serious hand holding in the initial hours.
It drops all this after a story point.

BeeDog

You liar !

joking...some fans will get angry..Dont write things like this

LMAO, posts like this are the worst. Posting stuff you know will rile people up, especially in an OT, and then backpedaling and taking a defensive stance like it's impossible to criticize the game at all.

Tovarisc

From core gameplay loop perspective it isn't anything that original, no. It iterates on aspects of it and does it well, but to me it isn't setting world on fire. Combat looks tons of fun. Not sure I ever really commented on overall quality of the game which I think to be top notch with some normal open world jank. Graphics talk was whole rabbit hole of hyperbole after hyperbole started to fly about how HZ beats console and PC games graphically, no questions asked. Enemy variety was also valid side discussion and stating that TW3 comes close isn't somehow downplaying HZ, but trying to rain in hyperbole about how HZ supposedly is superior to everything in every way.

Views like that aren't filled with hype and unquestioning love for the game so I must be hellbent on hating it and forcing everyone to hate it?

It's fine that people are excited for a title. I know I was super excited for TW3 and really looking towards MEA etc. That is fine and I have nothing against that. It does bother me little bit that it's okay, but being more moderate or even partially critical / negative about title during its release window is always "shitting the thread" and "get out" material on GAF.

Comments that praise or downplay any game don't live in vacuum when posting on forum where people discuss games. One shouldn't drive by drop comments and not expect replies.

Mathieran

Banned
Played about 2.5 hours this morning and it's pretty great so far. Silent strike is a bit op but it's fun and satisfying so I don't care.

I turned off auto aim before I started and it makes it pretty hard to hit weak spots. If anyone finds the game too easy I think that could make a big difference for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom