• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPB

After living in a wide open world for hours Meridian feels so claustrophobic.

It's probably the camera, it zooms in too close when you're walking around settlements and most indoor areas. It was the only thing I really didn't like about the game, and I wish there was a toggle to use the standard camera everywhere.

Mathieran

Banned
Just had this awesome moment with some human combat. I was stalking this guy from above, dropped down beside him, and startled him. Aloy said "Who, me?" Then I whacked him in the face and killed him. Not a big thing but a fun unique moment.

Yea it was too long for me.

I don't even like open world games. I felt a little pressured to finish by about 3/4 through, which is generally not a good sign.

Taking out some of the missions or platforming sections in the main storyline I think would've been beneficial. Really wasn't a fan of some of the forced jump here/walk this hallyway/search this room nonsense.

It rather short truth be told .
If you do only main story missions you can finish in about 25 to 30 hrs .
Which rather short for a RPG.

Soph

Never thought I'd end up defending this game as much as I did in the past hour, friend of mine tore it and my counterarguments to pieces in the past hour.

It rather short truth be told .
If you do only main story missions you can finish in about 25 to 30 hrs .
Which rather short for a RPG.

It's just my aversion to open world.

I don't want to play for 25 to 30 hours, regardless. I don't have the time, nor do I have the patience to search for items or collect health potions/etc again.

I'm not saying it's bad, or it's relatively long, because it's not. It's much easier for me to stomach than other open world games.

It's just I don't want to play too many games like this. I love Horizon but because of it at the same time I would not be able to handle anything else open world except for RDR probably.

Everything in the game is quite awesome, I just do not have the time or patience for this type of experience anymore.

Something i have noticed is whenever i start a battle by placing two Blast Wires in front of me the Machines never charged at me, Just tested this against 4 Tramplers and not one charged at me

Soph

What was his criticism?

It was quite a heated talk but her main points were that the game was too easy (handholding + difficulty modes) hard to identify with main character due to agency issues(felt like it was written for male players). She hated the crafting system since it was barebones, wanted it to be more like Dragon: Age Inquisition. Didn't like certain animations as they felt inorganic, cited multiple dodgerolls and fast arrow firing
She did say she liked the graphics and the story, but she forced herself to complete it in the end. That's the summary anyhow.

Quite the odd talk, she was very happy getting the game and I was readying myself up to be hyped up into buying it as well. Went into the talk trying to defend myself against hype, ended up defending the game against her criticism. Heh, expectations how do they work.

wHGJmTX.gif

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I caught a 2 week ban which I used to really focus on Horizon. Sank almost 50 hours into the game and loved every minute of it.

I stopped right before the final mission and decided to clear up all the collectibles. I usually hate open world pixel hunting but Aloy is a joy to control.

Also gotta give shoutouts to the story and writing for being well executed. It could have been really easy for the story to suck or for the revelations to be cheesy garbage (which most video game revelations are) but its definitely very well done, believable and had me thinking about the game long after I'd stopped playing.

One criticism that I kept reading was the bad voice acting and facial animations which made me go wut. The character models look great, the voice acting was well done and every NPC looked unique. A lot of the emotional scenes would not have had impact if the facial animations sucked or whatever.

Radec

4 more trophies.

Man im not liking climbing for vantages on the ruins. Had to climb a tallneck so I can see the yellow spots. lol

I caught a 2 week ban which I used to really focus on Horizon. Sank almost 50 hours into the game and loved every minute of it.

I stopped right before the final mission and decided to clear up all the collectibles. I usually hate open world pixel hunting but Aloy is a joy to control.

Also gotta give shoutouts to the story and writing for being well executed. It could have been really easy for the story to suck or for the revelations to be cheesy garbage (which most video game revelations are) but its definitely very well done, believable and had me thinking about the game long after I'd stopped playing.

One criticism that I kept reading was the bad voice acting and facial animations which made me go wut. The character models look great, the voice acting was well done and every NPC looked unique. A lot of the emotional scenes would not have had impact if the facial animations sucked or whatever.

I'm with you with this, I don't know where people is coming from.

Memento

I am 50 hours in and this is already one of the best, if not THE best open world game I have ever had the pleasure to play. I will leave it open until I finish it, but if the conclusion/ending is satisfying, this could top Bloodborne as my favorite PS4 game.

GG, Guerrila!

geomon

It was quite a heated talk but her main points were that the game was too easy (handholding + difficulty modes) hard to identify with main character due to agency issues(felt like it was written for male players). She hated the crafting system since it was barebones, wanted it to be more like Dragon: Age Inquisition. Didn't like certain animations as they felt inorganic, cited multiple dodgerolls and fast arrow firing
She did say she liked the graphics and the story, but she forced herself to complete it in the end. That's the summary anyhow.

Quite the odd talk, she was very happy getting the game and I was readying myself up to be hyped up into buying it as well. Went into the talk trying to defend myself against hype, ended up defending the game against her criticism. Heh, expectations how do they work.

I don't understand this point. Was I supposed to feel like a woman playing or was Aloy acting like a man? Or is it something else I'm missing entirely?

Kill3r7

Sometimes the faces can look off but the real issue is lip syncing which is not helped by the uneven voice acting. No game is perfect and this is basically nitpicking to find something to argue about.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Compared to most open world games Horizon is basically one of the best looking in terms of animations both in the action heavy stuff or dialogue and cutscene focused things. Just go back to Fallout 4's dead eyed cut and paste mannequin people and you'll come to appreciate Horizon much more. Or place Mass Effect Andromeda... I kid!

Sometimes the faces can look off but the real issue is lip syncing which is not helped by the uneven voice acting. No game is perfect and this is basically nitpicking to find something to argue about.
If she has nothing to say about Mass Effect: Andromeda then her opinion on this point is irrelevant.

There's no problem with criticism or nitpicking, personally I find it odd when people say that animations and or voice acting are horrible, I've read some of those. I don't engage in those discussions because doesn't seem fair to me so, no point in arguing.

Finished the game and I was going around finishing corrupted areas as this was the "collectibles" quest I am near to completion and I want to get the trophy before calling it a night. Fought two behemoths and lots of scrappers and long legs in my 2nd from the last corrupted area, no biggie.

On my last corrupted area, I had to fight two rockbreakers. Sure no big deal, I did that before in a rockbreaker area near sunfall.

As I was fighting the two rockbreakers, a group of snapmaws were firing ice from across the river. Finished the first rockbreaker as the ice from snapmaws are actually helping me freeze the rockbreaker easily in addition to ice arrows. Fight kinda got away from the snapmaws later. Got two more full health potions and no other healing items and craftable items. I was not really prepared for this fight.

Then a caravan of Behemoth came with a long leg. Figured I need to kill the behemoth first before the rockbreaker as my strat for the rockbreaker is to stay crouched but with behemoths I need to keep running and dodging. Was able to kill the behemoth with no more potions left.

A fucking charger was actually nearby and rammed me from behind killing me.

Damn this game is so good. Since knowing what was around I was more prepared with a strategy. Didn't stock up on potions as I liked that thrill I had in the first fight and would like to finish it with the same number of items.

I have found a use for every weapon except the Rattler.

The Rattler is so lame. I'm sure there is some way to make it powerful with coils, but it's always going to feel like a Nerf gun.

The tearblaster also seemed bad to me. Am I wrong, or does it literally just honk out a puff of air?

One thing I really liked is that they allow you so much freedom with equipping weapons. I wasn't really feeling most of them except for the bows, but since I was able to just equip a bunch of different bows I didn't care.

Well said to all of this. Hell even the Brom scene wasn't that bad when you experience it yourself
4 more trophies.

Man im not liking climbing for vantages on the ruins. Had to climb a tallneck so I can see the yellow spots. lol
One easy to tell if there's a vantage by looking through your Focus and searching for a supply box. If it takes a bit of time to scan the supply box, then there's a vantage point

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Nope. Even with 3 purple damage coils 40% and over, the gun is still shit. The Rattler and the Tearblaster are useless.
Barely used the Rattler, but Tearblaster absolutely wrecks Stalkers and even makes Rockbreakers somewhat manageable by tearing off their limbs.

Memento

Question: the batteries to open the
special armor set glass
, I got 3 of them, but honestly I dont know how. Do you get them by doing story missions or what?

Kvik

I love fighting 2 Thunderjaws, but 2 Rockbreakers (Corrupted variant included) is my favourite fight in the game so far.

Taking out 8 digging claws was quite a task. OK, you can take out the first set from one Rockbreaker and debuff it with Freeze bombs, just remember where/when the second one going to come up for air and starts its AoE attack, because those rocks will kill you before you can even swap your weapon.

hairygreenpeas

Neo Member
I think I'm almost done with the game - just started
The Mountain that Fell
story mission. I really like the story, how it kept me on my toes throughout the whole game so far. It could've been executed a bit better for sure, but it's definitely one of the more engaging and more realized pieces of video game narrative to come out in some time. This is the first game where I actually went out to find and tried to read every single data entry, as well as listen to all voice logs, that's how into I was lol.

If I don't end up fucking up somehow in the last few missions, this would end up being the very first open world game where I've only died two times - surprisingly not by any of the robots, but because of my own dumbass and inability to judge distance before jumping lmao. I'm so proud of myself guys.

Memento

I think I'm almost done with the game - just started
The Mountain that Fell
story mission. I really like the story, how it kept me on my toes throughout the whole game so far. It could've been executed a bit better for sure, but it's definitely one of the more engaging and more realized pieces of video game narrative to come out in some time. This is the first game where I actually went out to find and tried to read every single data entry, as well as listen to all voice logs, that's how into I was lol.

If I don't end up fucking up somehow in the last few missions, this would end up being the very first open world game where I've only died two times - surprisingly not by any of the robots, but because of my own dumbass and inability to judge distance before jumping lmao. I'm so proud of myself guys.

I keep using the focus to find new audio logs or text logs EVERYWHERE. They are so good. It is the first game that I am actively looking forward to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom