• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely believe I just finished playing the best PlayStation exclusive ever. Ever. Excluding The Last of Us. And maybe even better than that (to me, obviously). Holy shit, I loved this game.

CGwizz

Finished the game, my first ever Platinum, didnt got bored a single time getting it. This is how you do trophies.

77 hours. Aloy is BAE

firelogic

I caught a 2 week ban which I used to really focus on Horizon. Sank almost 50 hours into the game and loved every minute of it.

I stopped right before the final mission and decided to clear up all the collectibles. I usually hate open world pixel hunting but Aloy is a joy to control.

Also gotta give shoutouts to the story and writing for being well executed. It could have been really easy for the story to suck or for the revelations to be cheesy garbage (which most video game revelations are) but its definitely very well done, believable and had me thinking about the game long after I'd stopped playing.

One criticism that I kept reading was the bad voice acting and facial animations which made me go wut. The character models look great, the voice acting was well done and every NPC looked unique. A lot of the emotional scenes would not have had impact if the facial animations sucked or whatever.

Same here. The voice acting is top notch across the board and this game has some of the best lipsyncing I've ever seen. Yeah some aren't as good as others but the majority have great mouth movements. People like Varl, Petra, and a slew of others.

ron_bato

I beat the game yesterday after logging in some 35 hours total - I've only beaten like 40 percent of the side missions before wanting to focus mostly on the main quest so I have time for Mass Effect.

Anybody got recommendations on the best side quests in the game (spoiler tag as necessary)?

I genuinely believe I just finished playing the best PlayStation exclusive ever. Ever. Excluding The Last of Us. And maybe even better than that (to me, obviously). Holy shit, I loved this game.

Is it that good? My copy arrived 6 days late so I played botw first, maybe I should go directly into horizon instead of taking a break...

Just beat the game and came away impressed.

Graphics and game play aside, HZD was really polished.

Music was so good that it deserves its own shoutout.

Adding graphics and gameplay just makes it AAA game imo.

The secret armor is godlike. Like forreals.

Beat it at like level 47. All collectibles collected.

Credits music is still playing guys. I ain't gonna skip it. 😁

Ashhong

So I just got to a point where I encounter two sawtooths at once. How the hell am I supposed to best them? I'm having trouble in general fighting the bigger dinos. I don't know how to decipher the focus scans. What information should I be looking at when I scan them? Components turn yellow, do I just aim for that?

So I just got to a point where I encounter two sawtooths at once. How the hell am I supposed to best them? I'm having trouble in general fighting the bigger dinos. I don't know how to decipher the focus scans. What information should I be looking at when I scan them? Components turn yellow, do I just aim for that?

Scan them once, then you can see their weaknesses on your notebook. In battle you highlight the weaknesses with your focus and start from there but you can fight already prepared.

Try to use as much arsenal you have at your disposal, do not rely only on your bow.

Memento

Is it the sidequest with 2 lost guys? I died so muchhh on that quest LMAO

But I loved it.

Radec

Depends on what weapons and skills you have now.

Early game I put melee skills and I just hit R2 for strong melee on machines like Sawtooth to knock them out and do a critical hit.

For bows, try teablaster arrows first. Or fire arrows to make them burn. Tripwires are also good, but Sawtooths are agile and sometimes they skip and jumps on them.

Hardpoint arrows for damage on their weak parts.

Astra

This game is the worst (or best?) for getting side tracked in.
I'm level 35 now, and my main story quest is level 12.

I just can't get enough of the exploration, and of course I pick up a bunch of side quests.

I still haven't done any of the hunting stuff, though.

B.O.O.M

Set up some tripwires and traps and bring them outside to you...should make your life much easier

G-Bus

Banned
Two missions out from finishing the main story. Just working on everything else now so Ill get the plat when I beat the game. Kind dont want it to end.

Really struggled on some of those hunter trials so I stopped and focused on other things. Came back and breezed through the rest. Feels good.

Keep checking out the photo threads and it just makes me want a HDR capable TV.

Lack of wire is a tad annoying at times. Seems to be the only mat I'm short on consistently. Wish they would patch in the ability to buy things in bulk from merchants. Really enjoy the combat and farming isnt so bad its just a hassle at times when I want to get on with quests.

Kin5290

Sawtooths die to fire. Double or tripleshot fire arrows into them to set them on fire fast. Also use the rope caster to, if not pin them down, then tether them in place so that they can't claw your face off.

Dabi

Lol that's awesome. Speaking for myself, I'd say this is the definitive PS4 exclusive.

GG has always been on the cusp of greatness so its cool too see them fulfill the potential. First Horizon, the branding of the Decima Engine, and now the Koji-Pro collab, things are looking good.

aristotle

Something i have noticed is whenever i start a battle by placing two Blast Wires in front of me the Machines never charged at me, Just tested this against 4 Tramplers and not one charged at me

Heh. Tramplers' AI is awesome. Like most real-life bulls, they won't rush you immediately if you stare them down. It's a show of dominance. Also other AI in the game will either jump over the wires, or find an alternate route to get to you. The animal AI in this game is really great when compared to their real-life counterparts.

I usually don't platinum games, think I only platinumed around 5-6games (maybe less) having owned all PlayStations, but I enjoyed platinuming this 1 a lot. Most games are a bitch to platinum and make a lot of things not fun or super hard/rage inducing, but this game made it fun/easy-going for me to platinum idk what sorcery GG pulled on me but I was hooked. They really knew how to revolve the trophies around the game in a way that made it enjoyable and I discovered a lot of new places in the game by getting them all. now give me NG+ and that DLC asap !!

Vitten

If you finished the first cauldron you can override one of them. (hide in tall grass and whistle to draw its attention)
Then let them fight it out and move in for an easy kill on the last guy standing.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The most noticeable framerate drop I've encountered is in the enclosed space of a house in Meridian. Two massive Behemoths in an outdoor environment and perfect, but not exploring the inside of a house. Wtf lol

Hot Damn the Shadow Blast Sling With 3 mods of over 40% damage coil is the GOAT Weapons Just rips a Thunderjaw in no time wow

I highly recommended this weapon

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
The most noticeable framerate drop I've encountered is in the enclosed space of a house in Meridian. Two massive Behemoths in an outdoor environment and perfect, but not exploring the inside of a house. Wtf lol

Talking about Olin's house ?

I noticed it too.

My progress so far:

I just realized there's no difficulty trophy, so I'm level 50 , got all the purple shit, and I'm now going to Sunfall.

From what I gather so far,
Skynet. Skynet everywhere.

Aloy is somehow a test tube clone of the lead scientist behind the global technological disarmament project, which explains why that matriarch called her "motherless", and was so freaked out by her.

I was right on the money with the Talos Principle vibes. The narrative is drawing a lot from the audio logs found throughout. Digging it a lot. Except the Faro Plague mumbo jumbo. I can't remember right now how the swarm glitched out, or why the fuck they made the swarm. Whatever. It's fucking Skynet.

Somehow a sentient AI survived? Hades? And it knows Elisabet Sobeck dealt a blow so... Aloy's on the shit list.

Really liking it!

Guerrilla stretching out of their shooter narrative constraints is showing well.

I'm calling a shootbang prequel where we get to meet
Punished Aloy Mom
and take part in
Enduring Victory
à la Halo Reach. Lol

I'll admit, when I first saw this game, read/watched reviews, I was not interested in it whatsoever. This weekend I had some extra cash so I decided on picking it up as the overwhelming praise and curiosity got the best of me.

Man what a great game so far. It looks amazing in 4k, the story has me hooked and the action (which is what threw me off the game in the first place) was just so satisfying in every aspect. The hunting, melee and being able to accurately hit things with the bow while on the move was awesome.

Without delving into the story too much, it definitely got me hooked to the point where I want to see how it plays out now. There hasn't been a game in recent memory where I was completely hooked on the storyline.

I'm glad I picked this game up. TLDR; The visuals are beautiful (I think the landscape imo is better than Ghost Recon's for this year), action is fun and the story is wonderful.

BigDug13

Heh. Tramplers' AI is awesome. Like most real-life bulls, they won't rush you immediately if you stare them down. It's a show of dominance. Also other AI in the game will either jump over the wires, or find an alternate route to get to you. The animal AI in this game is really great when compared to their real-life counterparts.

Once I saw that gif of the gator robots doing a gator roll to break out of ropecaster ropes I knew this game was really deep beyond the gorgeous surface.

Falchion

Hot Damn the Shadow Blast Sling With 3 mods of over 40% damage coil is the GOAT Weapons Just rips a Thunderjaw in no time wow

I highly recommended this weapon

Taking down Stormbirds got so much easier when I started freezing, roping, then bombing the hell out of them.

Really enjoying it so far. Especially as you start to get to the different tribes/cities and see how varied their aesthetic can be.

My only major gripe so far is that I've gotten stuck in the environment twice so far in two different story/boss battles and had to start over. Once was against that fucking
Rockbreaker
and I had his health almost all the way down before getting stuck and having to do it all over.

ckohler

My favorite thing is to set the machines against each other and watch the carnage.

Here's a video where I overrid a single Trampler and things go crazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cXxBwb1lo

I love how when there is a huge explosion the ground burns red from heat and how even the rocks are destructible.

89c.gif

DiscoDave

I'll admit, when I first saw this game, read/watched reviews, I was not interested in it whatsoever. This weekend I had some extra cash so I decided on picking it up as the overwhelming praise and curiosity got the best of me.

Man what a great game so far. It looks amazing in 4k, the story has me hooked and the action (which is what threw me off the game in the first place) was just so satisfying in every aspect. The hunting, melee and being able to accurately hit things with the bow while on the move was awesome.

Without delving into the story too much, it definitely got me hooked to the point where I want to see how it plays out now. There hasn't been a game in recent memory where I was completely hooked on the storyline.

I'm glad I picked this game up. TLDR; The visuals are beautiful (I think the landscape imo is better than Ghost Recon's for this year), action is fun and the story is wonderful.

Same here about not liking the look of the game at first but I got it just because the visuals. It has me hooked now the game is visually stunning like none I have played so far (have not played uncharted). The bow is so easy to use and I'm surprised how accurate I can be with it.

The gameplay is great and unlike most games I feel I have to use different ways to kill each beast. Using different ammo types or weapon types but it doesn't feel comlicated for it like I always felt some RPG can be. Like I said usually I would stick to almost one method but with this game I use a lot of methods and it's easy to switch between them quickly. Same with crafting something I never usually bother with but this game makes it easy, and for me worth while.

The story is OK so far though I feel I haven't done much I'm not sure if I'm early in but I've got to the
day tower
and I'm level 30. I spend to much time killing shit. I have not really bothered with
override
as I like to walk every where to harvest machine parts and resources.

Really is one of the best games I have played this gen easily. Considering I wasn't going to buy it just goes to show you should always give things a try sometimes. Oh I don't suppose anyone has mentioned how beautiful it is lol. Seriously it is in another league and I just stop and stare way to much.

Tyaren

By the way, there is no way to reach the beautiful mountain location of the intro cutscene and title screen in the game, right?

Vitten

Loving the game but what's up with those boring ass villages and cities that feel so lifeless and sterile ? The NPCs just stand there or don't do anything interesting and there's zero interactivity apart from talking to merchants. I'm always reminded I'm playing a videogame when I'm entering a settlement after leaving the wonderful immersion of the wilderniss.

Guerilla could take a few pointers from Wichter 3 on how to make a village that truely feels lived in for the sequel.

bombshell

Is there a shop selling animal materials?

What. no there isn't

where?!

Sorry, yeah, I just quickly checked and I must have been mistaken.

Not directly, but Scavenger Dark box from the box merchant in Meridian has a high chance to give you an animal skin/bone. The resource needed to buy it is quite common so you can buy a bunch of that box and might be lucky and get the animal part you're seeking that way.

scoobs

Looks like a lot of us are finishing this tonight... just watched the credits roll. Great game, but definitely can see areas for improvement. Loved the way the story unfolded, particularly towards the end when you start to uncover the secrets of the world. Really, really neat sci-fi story they've come up with here. Combat was the highlight of the game for me, killing robot dinosaurs simply does not get boring.

Looks like a lot of us are finishing this tonight... just watched the credits roll. Great game, but definitely can see areas for improvement. Loved the way the story unfolded, particularly towards the end when you start to uncover the secrets of the world. Really, really neat sci-fi story they've come up with here. Combat was the highlight of the game for me, killing robot dinosaurs simply does not get boring.
I feel so empty after platinumming the game
well until p5 that is

I'm starting to believe stealth may just be a little OP.

Sidequest Giving Man: Please go grab this ancient relic on a high ledge, you are young and spry
Aloy: OK
*climbs to ledge to find empty box*
SGM: Mwhuhaha, you fell right into my ambush !
*Aloy casually walks away in 130+ stealth gear on bare rocks*
SGM: Where did she go ?

I could not even be bothered to kill these clowns.

Just started yesterday and am 4 hours in and what can I say : I knew this game was good, but *that* good ? No way. I'm playing on max difficulty with everything off on the HUD and this is such a thrill. Aloy is a great character, the graphics are the most awesome thing I've ever seen - and I'm playing on a regular PS4 with a non-HDR TV set, and the gameplay is close from perfect - it would be perfect with free-climbing, it's hard to come back to this after Zelda BOTW.

For now, my contender for the best PS4 game ever - and if the game keeps ont delivering, my contender for the best game of the year with Z:BOTW.

Impressive stuff Guerrilla, seriously. You are geniuses..

So i've been reading the lore and little by little the end of the ancient ones becomes clearer.
Yesterday i read the first thing about Zero Dawn. Don't say anything but i believe those weird spider arms on the map is Zero Dawn, a doomsday device…
Intrigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom