• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

d9b

Banned
This game never stops to impress with its graphics, it's hard to believe this is a vast open world game. Fantastic HDR implementation helps too.

poncle

Where can I find the highest level hunters lodge? I have
only 4
listed in my quest menu

Edit: found now, been googling for "hunters lodge" instead of "hunting grounds"

So i've been reading the lore and little by little the end of the ancient ones becomes clearer.
Yesterday i read the first thing about Zero Dawn. Don't say anything but i believe those weird spider arms on the map is Zero Dawn, a doomsday device…
Intrigued.

Gonna throw my response in spoiler tags.

Nope, far from it. I JUST discovered what Zero Dawn is like half an hour before this post

Just climbed my first Tallneck & is proceeding to handle the first bandit camp. Stopped when I got wrecked by 3 Fire Bellowbacks.

All-in-all, the game is excellent so far. Combat is as expected, really snappy & fun. But what surprises me the most so far is the… I dunno how to put it…

The “craftsmanship” of the game’s story/pacing/moment-to-moment?

Plenty of open-world games suffer from this where a lot of individual missions, side-quest, story, other activities, all feel like individual components. Fun distractions, but nothing that flows well into the pacing and sense of the main story.

So far, it feels like every activity I partake in, every sidequest I take, etc that takes me from locale to locale feels like an integrated story experience. It feels somewhat believable that the story would have Aloy do these quest, encounter the Tallneck, encounter the bandit camp, while progressing the primary main story.

It’s still early and things may change, but I am shocked at how I never feel significantly disconnected from the experience of Aloy’s journey even when I’m being a completionist. Quest don’t force you round and back, but find the avenue to push you towards the main story as well.

It’s like I’m playing a linear cinematic story that places me in an open world, where all the activities feel like part and parcel of what Aloy may actually do along the way, and not just filler.

The quest story/design themselves may not be great, but the way they’ve been placed and positioned so far feels very… well-fitting.

danowat

Banned
Just wanted to touch on something someone said earlier in the thread, basically, the game is good, but it's too easy.

Now, either I am total crap (which is entirely possible) or it's not too easy.

I started it on hard, and was okay for a while, then when I started meeting bigger mechs I was struggling (particularly the fight with two corrupters and lots of humans) so I dropped it too normal.

It's still not "easy", I did a fight this morning with 4 shellwalkers, now it's quite easy to cheese them by finding a pinch point and putting a blast wire across it, meaning they won't cross it, so you can hit them from distance, until 3 snapmaws decided to join in.

This was a tough fight, it took quite a while to do, and I managed to beat them, pretty much by the skin of my teeth.

I don't think the game is easy per say, there are ways to cheese certain mechs, so it could be easy, if you want to make it easy for yourself, but easy in general, it is not.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Just wanted to touch on something someone said earlier in the thread, basically, the game is good, but it's too easy.

I started it on hard, and was okay for a while, then when I started meeting bigger mechs I was struggling (particularly the fight with two corrupters and lots of humans) so I dropped it too normal.

It's still not "easy", I did a fight this morning with 4 shellwalkers, now it's quite easy to cheese them by finding a pinch point and putting a blast wire across it, meaning they won't cross it, so you can hit them from distance, until 3 snapmaws decided to join in.

This was a tough fight, it took quite a while to do, and I managed to beat them, pretty much by the skin of my teeth.

I don't think the game is easy per say, there are ways to cheese certain mechs, so it could be easy, if you want to make it easy for yourself, but easy in general, it is not.
I found the difficulty very well balanced, and leagues ahead of most open world games where the last third has lost all challenge. The way they gradually escalate your encounters is pretty much perfect too, it felt like there was a very even tick to meeting new machines.

You can go for a long time without dying, but it requires constant attention. The moment you stop taking the machines seriously, they'll ruin you, even Watchers can be trouble.

Kuldar

I did the main quest
Deep Secrets of the Earth
yesterday and... woah. I need to finish the main story and go in the spoiler thread.

Is it a problem if I'm level 42 and haven't reached Meridian yet? :| I know, I just can't help myself, I'm exploring EVERYTHING!

Hi,

did the same thing as you, it's awesome. However, once you'll continue with the story, you won't be left with much surprises lol (apart from the story itself of course)

Kabanossi

Is it a problem if I'm level 42 and haven't reached Meridian yet? :| I know, I just can't help myself, I'm exploring EVERYTHING!

How is that even possible? I'm level 43 and I've completed ~70% of the game. Cauldrons, Tallnecks, Hunting Grounds, Corrupted Zones all done. A few side missions and errands, two metal flowers, three banuk figures and 12 story missions left.

Have you been fighting the robots or how did you get the XP to reach level 42?

Btw, love this game!

Paganmoon

I played on hard, and I died twice to the dinos I think, both times, to rockbreakers. I died more times running off cliffs :)

The game was harder early on, before I started using the full scope of weapons. Big fights, use prep time, set up a few mines, and trip wires, then switch out the tripcaster. I had 3 different bows equiped and the ropecaster, constantly switching between arrows. On the big dino's make sure to drop their weapons with Tearblast first, then focus on damage.
Also, dodge... alot.
I never got hooked on the Souls games with their combat, with dodging and timing your attacks (cause I absolutely suck at it), but in this, I loved it.

So all in all, make sure you've got a good set of different weapons, make sure you upgrade them with mods, and use preptime when you know you're going into a big fight. I don't think I ever used the tripcaster in fight for the last 50% of my game time, only before.

Soph

I don't understand this point. Was I supposed to feel like a woman playing or was Aloy acting like a man? Or is it something else I'm missing entirely?

I'm not sure myself, as I haven't played the game profusely. She did say Dragon Age: Inquisition did this better. Maybe RPG aspects in answers to questions? Choice? Sexual agency?

How is that even possible? I'm level 43 and I've completed ~70% of the game. Cauldrons, Tallnecks, Hunting Grounds, Corrupted Zones all done. A few side missions and errands, two metal flowers, three banuk figures and 12 story missions left.

Have you been fighting the robots or how did you get the XP to reach level 42?

Btw, love this game!

I'm basically fighting everything I encounter in my travels. Did I mention I really love the gameplay mechanics? I also farmed some Stormbirds and Thunderjaws for purple drops, the amount of XP I was getting was quite high.

danowat

Banned
Try this: use the freeze ammo of the Rattler against an enemy until it is frozen. Then change to the normal ammo and start shooting at it. I'm sure you will have a different opinion. :)

Am I right in saying that, the type(s) of ammo available to a particular weapon are actually tied to weapon type?

So a particular weapon will have specific ammo available, and can't be altered, the only way to get a similar weapon with different ammo is the buy a different weapon (with said ammo available)?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Am I right in saying that, the type(s) of ammo available to a particular weapon are actually tied to weapon type?

So a particular weapon will have specific ammo available, and can't be altered, the only way to get a similar weapon with different ammo is the buy a different weapon (with said ammo available)?

Yes but there's not much picking and choosing that you need to do. The higher end versions typically add ammo types instead of just different ones. The blast sling is the only exception I can remember.

bombshell

Yes but there's not much picking and choosing that you need to do. The higher end versions typically add ammo types instead of just different ones. The blast sling is the only exception I can remember.

What's different with the blast sling?

Isn't it the same for all weapon types, the only difference being their rarity?

Common variant: one ammo type
Rare variant: same ammo type as common + one more
Very rare variant: same two ammo types as rare + one more.

Does blast sling have different ammo types in the different rarities?

danowat

Banned

I did think that was the case, but just wanted to be sure!

So are, let's say, two Shadowcaster Bows equal?, or might you find one at a trader that has different ammo types than the others?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Blast sling is focused on explosives then there's also an elemental sling.

bombshell

Blast sling is focused on explosives then there's also an elemental sling.

Yes, but its name is different, it's just called 'sling', right? With its own ammo crafting category and all. Same with 'war bow', 'hunter bow' etc.

The blast sling follows the pattern in its different rarities.

So are, let's say, two Shadowcaster Bows equal?, or might you find one at a trader that has different ammo types than the others?

Yeah, they'll always be the same. The name of the weapon completely dictates its ammo types afaik, rarity then dictates if it has 1, 2 or 3 ammo types.

Auctopus

I'm not sure why people are considering Aloy's lack of sexual agency or romance options a negative.

I really liked how Aloy turned down offers confidently and politely, why reduce a new female protagonist whose clear goals is one that is existential to finding a man/woman?

I actually found it weird how many courtship offers she receives through the game in comparison to how sure Guerilla's writing seemed to be of wanting her to be independent.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
It's becoming very obvious that I'm really close to the end of this story and I feel like I have to go on record again to restate that Horizon has simply blown me away. It's so good, and the quality hasn't dropped as I've approached the endgame. I mean, there are flaws here and there, I've openly shared my opinion on things I haven't liked in this thread, but in the grand scheme of things they just don't matter. The package as a whole has been a revelation. I love this game.

If anyone from Guerilla happens to read this thread and these small words, all I can say is congratulations. Seriously, Horizon is brilliant. Well done.

Also,

I really liked how Aloy turned down offers confidently and politely...

So did I,
but I think there is somebody she actually likes quite a bit. Seems that way to me, anyway.

Cyborg

This game keeps giving! What weapons are best to use against big enemies?

I only use my bow. Any other suggestions?

So did I,
but I think there is somebody she actually likes quite a bit. Seems that way to me, anyway.

I was sad when she met that one carja girl
who met with her shadow carja boyfriend on that island and then found out that he is is dead. When she asked Aloy if she knows that feeling she felt over that guy, too. And Aloy said something along the lines "I can't say I do".

Lodge Blast Sling!

Drek

Got my first Platinum on this game when I finished it yesterday. Fantastic experience. The pre-release concern trolling of it being an Ubi-like was way off. This is far more like Red Dead Redemption than any Ubi game.

So I just got to a point where I encounter two sawtooths at once. How the hell am I supposed to best them? I'm having trouble in general fighting the bigger dinos. I don't know how to decipher the focus scans. What information should I be looking at when I scan them? Components turn yellow, do I just aim for that?

If it's the quest I'm thinking of, early in the game while still in Nora territory, you haven't gotten the best weapons for taking down more combat oriented prey yet. Instead you want to really focus on traps and bombs. Sawtooths will drop from a shock tripwire opening them up for critical hits and you can also pair blast or fire bombs next to the shock tripwire to give you plenty of time to detonate (by shooting them with an arrow) the bombs.

Also if you've gotten the first basic sling sawtooths are succeptible to shock from it. If you got the sling that also has freeze bombs those double your damage caused so freezing, then shocking, then critical hitting can really tear down some enemies.

Later in the game my strategy for more powerful prey was to generally built around using traps and bombs to set up control zones, then knock 2-3 tearblast arrows and aim for what I know to be the critical combat components before they're alerted. Then depending on the enemy either further tearblasting down to a vulnerable state or moving straight to the damage and control portion of the battle where I'd use penetration/hardpoint/fire arrows or the blast sling to deal damage while exposing the enemy with tie down ropes. Tie downs are hugely useful against almost all of the hardest enemies, though the handful they aren't they're completely useless.

TTG

Unfortunately, yes. I get that the emphasis is on mods, but I would still have liked to see more variety. It would also have spiced up exploring various settlements, see what vendor has what. The only exception to this are some weapons you get through a certain side quest that's hard to miss.

Are you looking for a general strategy? I settled into a rhythm with the really huge beasties eventually, but coming up with an approach and tweaking it is half the fun. Keep a precision bow and rope caster handy.

i think i'm roughly about 2/3rds through the main story. still a few green !'s around the map i need to do. plenty of bandit camps and 1 more cauldron i think. not gonna bother going out my way with the tutorial/hunter's lodge quests. i'll just switch between main story/side quests as i feel like it.

Loving the game but what's up with those boring ass villages and cities that feel so lifeless and sterile ? The NPCs just stand there or don't do anything interesting and there's zero interactivity apart from talking to merchants. I'm always reminded I'm playing a videogame when I'm entering a settlement after leaving the wonderful immersion of the wilderniss.

Guerilla could take a few pointers from Wichter 3 on how to make a village that truely feels lived in for the sequel.
Villages are something i wished had more interaction too. There are some fantastic looking settlements in the game, but little or no side missions or interaction in them.

Drek

It's becoming very obvious that I'm really close to the end of this story and I feel like I have to go on record again to restate that Horizon has simply blown me away. It's so good, and the quality hasn't dropped as I've approached the endgame. I mean, there are flaws here and there, I've openly shared my opinion on things I haven't liked in this thread, but in the grand scheme of things they just don't matter. The package as a whole has been a revelation. I love this game.

If anyone from Guerilla happens to read this thread and these small words, all I can say is congratulations. Seriously, Horizon is brilliant. Well done.

FYI the game has a point where in-narrative you're told "make sure you've done everything, past this is a point of no return" when really it only impacts your ability to access one (important) side quest string from my understanding. You then have another solid ~8 hours beyond that mission to actually finish and can go do side stuff again all you want.

Gerstmann brought this up on the Bombcast and he's absolutely right that in most games when they pull that it feels like they're stretching the game out on you but in Horizon it's all good shit from that point forward.

TTG

Thanx. For both the Shadow version or?

Yea, all rope casters look the same at first glance, but the shadow version has sturdier ropes or something, it's a different ammo type. I haven't actually tried to tie down a storm birdie with the green rope caster, it would probably take 10 ropes to do so.

Also, as with any other weapon, the shadow version allows more slots for mods, which is how you can really put a hurting on things. If you can spare 3 purple tear mods for your rope caster it will shred a machine while you're bringing it down. Almost unfair.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
FYI the game has a point where in-narrative you're told "make sure you've done everything, past this is a point of no return" when really it only impacts your ability to access one (important) side quest string from my understanding. You then have another solid ~8 hours beyond that mission to actually finish and can go do side stuff again all you want.

Gerstmann brought this up on the Bombcast and he's absolutely right that in most games when they pull that it feels like they're stretching the game out on you but in Horizon it's all good shit from that point forward.

Thanks for the heads up, but I'm well past that point (and I had done all the side quests by the time I reached it) :)

And that dude is right, it's all good stuff in the endgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom