• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the kind of offtopic, but look how one of the biggest videogame spanish sites, Meristation, celebrates Horizon lauch:

Basically it reads:
Aloy: Damn you mysoginist! I don't need any man to rescue me!
Mario: Help! I just wanted to be nice
Yoshi: I'm tired of this radical femisim. If this vignette was the other way around there would be a shitstorm. And you know it!

Thankfully Meristation retired the panel and apologized, but of course there's a shitstorm about mu freedom of speech and all of that. And it's sad that such a big site in Spain panders to this crowd.

Is it suggesting HZD is pandering to feminism? Everything about the game strikes me as it just happens to be a female lead like Heavenly Sword.

Ravage

A minor annoyance for me: pressing the x button will skip the cutscene without warning. Fortunately auto-saves are frequent and you can always load back to rewatch the scene.

Makikou

A minor annoyance for me: pressing the x button will skip the cutscene without warning. Fortunately auto-saves are frequent and you can always load back to rewatch the scene.

Actually happened to me once as well so I agree. It should be Hold X like much of the crafting etc.

Mesharey

I should receive it within an hour, excited!

There was a theme few days ago if you watched 2 trailers or something, anyone has a link to that?

Sun

Neo Member
Played for a few hours. Liked it so far.

The initial area is an extended tutorial area where you can learn the basics & have a few goes at it. Everything is very gradual here, and the... spatial design of this area/sequence (quests are on the edges, pushing you to criss-cross the middle & meet up with wildlife workshops) works well to ease you in.

The start of the game is very story heavy - cutscenes, cutscenes, cutscenes. Characters so far are really not that interesting, but they're helping move the story along and offer contrasts to define the MC better. Nothing out of the ordinary in the story so far, it is following familiar beats with the occasional suprising angle
(the brother, one of the first side quests - about dealing with schizophrenia).

I'll keep playing on, I'm about to enter the Proving.

edit: Oh, one annoyance is that things you kill don't stay dead. Not sure what triggers their apparition again - quests, distance, time - but I never got to feel in control of an area after passing through it, because passing back, it was filled up again with creatures. It would be cool for things to stay dead at least up until the next morning, for example. Like this I can feel more in control of the territory I casually roam, and have a contextualized hard refresh that ensures nobody plays through an empty world.

Tyaren

I made a few pics for everyone interested to see what the outfits and bows exclusive to the preorder, Digital Deluxe, Limited and Collectors Editions look like:

Carja outfit and bow:

32785512600_15881d0387_o.png

Banuk outfit and bow:

CHC

I'm glad the story and writing are (so far) at least competent. I was expecting that element of the game to basically be a lost cause.

zkorejo

I made a few pics for everyone interested to see what the outfits and bows exclusive to the preorder, Digital Deluxe, Limited and Collectors Editions look like:

Banuk outfit and bow:

This one looks like a tinfoil outfit.

How does outfits work? Can you wear each piece separately like Witcher or is it like having to equip an entire outfit?

Tovarisc

This one looks like a tinfoil outfit.

How does outfits work? Can you wear each piece separately like Witcher or is it like having to equip an entire outfit?

Entire outfits, no parts like in e.g. Witcher.

Edit: Somewhat meh that outfits come with stats, default one looks so good

------

Can we toggle head gear on / off?

TMC

The
kindergarten Alloy
looks a little like
Chucky doll,
suuuper creepy.

Really wish people would have placed spoiler warnings around this. Not blaming you in particular as plenty appear to be discussing it openly, but I didn't know about this part and would've preferred not to know about it prior to playing the game.

Freeman76

Played for a few hours. Liked it so far.

The initial area is an extended tutorial area where you can learn the basics & have a few goes at it. Everything is very gradual here, and the... spatial design of this area/sequence (quests are on the edges, pushing you to criss-cross the middle & meet up with wildlife workshops) works well to ease you in.

The start of the game is very story heavy - cutscenes, cutscenes, cutscenes. Characters so far are really not that interesting, but they're helping move the story along and offer contrasts to define the MC better. Nothing out of the ordinary in the story so far, it is following familiar beats with the occasional suprising angle
(the brother, one of the first side quests - about dealing with schizophrenia).

I'll keep playing on, I'm about to enter the Proving.

edit: Oh, one annoyance is that things you kill don't stay dead. Not sure what triggers their apparition again - quests, distance, time - but I never got to feel in control of an area after passing through it, because passing back, it was filled up again with creatures. It would be cool for things to stay dead at least up until the next morning, for example. Like this I can feel more in control of the territory I casually roam, and have a contextualized hard refresh that ensures nobody plays through an empty world.

A post on a GAF OT within the first week that has zero hyperbole? Hats off mate, nice to see. I usually stay away from OTs at release as they are puke inducing, so its nice to see posts like these popping up.

zkorejo

Entire outfits, no parts like in e.g. Witcher.

Edit: Somewhat meh that outfits come with stats, default one looks so good

------

Can we toggle head gear on / off?

Thanks.

I would have preferred in parts but its not a big deal. Used the entire outfits of each class in Witcher anyways.

Freeman76

Really wish people would have placed spoiler warnings around this. Not blaming you in particular as plenty appear to be discussing it openly, but I didn't know about this part and would've preferred not to know about it prior to playing the game.

And now its been posted twice.

Aesthet1c

Man this game is the first one to really get my PS4 Pro's fan going. It's not hair dryer level yet, but it's pretty loud.

Anyone else experiencing this?

The End

Who's got two thumbs and also two copies of HZD because he preordered it during PSX2015 and forgot about it until it shipped

Zok310

Banned
Is it suggesting HZD is pandering to feminism? Everything about the game strikes me as it just happens to be a female lead like Heavenly Sword.
Nah, so far some type of matriarchal agenda is tied to the narrative, seems intentional considering the story so far. Men intentionally and clearly play a much lesser role in HZD. Men seem dumbed down and brutish, while women are filled with wisdom and care.
Regardless, gameplay is amazing.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
- I found the arrows lack impact when hiting the robots. I don't find the feedback satisfying.
- Some of their health bars seem to take forever to deplete.

This is part of the combat system: you're fighting giant amoured mechas, you can't just spam arrows and hope for a win. You have to use the tools you're given: you can tear off armour plating with 'tearblast' arrows, weaken the shell with liquid nitrogen grenades that make it much more brittle, use shock bombs and trip casters to stun and go for criticals, light them up with fire arrows.

Most enemies have some basic weakness and this all this helps level the playing field, but what really counts is knowing where to put the arrows.

Snapjaws, for example, are tough as nails, but they have two 'blast' cannisters mounted just behind the head. Hit both with fire arrows and you'll probably rip off about 80% of it's health and leave it severely vulnerable. After that, a single well placed, precision point arrow will finish it off.

I've had enemies that took me to the cleaners in the first few encounters that I can now bring down with relative ease. Every machine has its tells and a range of approaches. Just a case of using the tools you've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom