• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DZ_b_EZ

GAME finally shipped my limited edition at 4 in the morning. It should be flying over the Atlantic now.

Hopefully I can play by Friday but this is my first time ordering from a European store, so who knows.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Even "normal" outfits that you can unlock look little funny, head gear especially. WTB toggle for that.

Wait, where do you get headgear? I've played for over 20 hours and haven't seen that yet...

EDIT: Oh you mean the head gear that is associated with the outfit. Got it.

There is some debate in the KS8000 thread right now re: Dynamic Contrast with HDR. Do you have yours turned on by chance?

Man, that old chestnut...

I played the whole game in HDR without Dynamic Contrast. The depth of blacks and level of contrast is insane without it.

Granted, I haven't tried, but I thought that thread had *finally* agreed that Dynamic Contrast is usually a loss in subtle detail with the risk of oversaturation?

Rien

Jelly Belly
In fact i did put Nioh back in... because i am close to the end and i want it finished before HZD. Gave it a shot for like 2 hours yesterday and played good. Wil play some more tonight

Between TW3 awesome story and world building, and more recently Nioh exceptional RPG mechanics, the landscape has changed and games have to be much more to impress. Im about 3 hours in and keep thinking of putting Nioh back on lol.
HZD's story and world building is superb in its first 5-6 hours so far. It's probably more engrossing than TW3 early on which was my GOTY. Someone would be selling this game very short if they don't think it can hang with that game on that front.

I didn't expect to be roped in to this game's narrative as much as I actually was so quickly. It's got a lot of payoff to live up to but it has a narrative and world building for days.

Kyonashi

I would like to know what that 5/10 review girl was smoking.

It's a fair review for a writer who was prioritising story and characters. 5/10 isn't a bad review remember, it's literally average.

From what I've read in reviews, the fact this game doesn't have a particularly engrossing story is enough to put me off, play Zelda first and revisit this in 4/5 months. Polished gameplay isn't enough for everyone depending on what you look for in a game, and that's why we have different reviewers. Her review doesn't read like clickbait, it's the opinion of a reviewer, which is what all reviews are.

madmackem

It's a fair review for a writer who was prioritising story and characters. 5/10 isn't a bad review remember, it's literally average.

From what I've read in reviews, the fact this game doesn't have a particularly engrossing story is enough to put me off, play Zelda first and revisit this in 4/5 months. Polished gameplay isn't enough for everyone depending on what you look for in a game, and that's why we have different reviewers. Her review doesn't read like clickbait, it's the opinion of a reviewer, which is what all reviews are.
I have read many reviews that point to the story being a strong point and one of the main pluses.

I have read many reviews that point to the story being a strong point and one of the main pluses.

This. ^ We're talking about this in the spoiler thread a bit. It's almost unfathomable where the "boring story" or "not engrossing" notes come from, especially as you get further in.

Posted some new screenshots in the thread but man had to share this one here, the color in this is just wow!

32354252343_77f5bb8ad5_h.jpg

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Only drawback is my PS4 pro is making a lot of noise. 🙃
But I'm either playing with 5.1 with volume up or my Sony headset
Is there any preset for this game ? Didnt check

Noise off and on here. There really doesn't seem to be rhyme nor reason as to when the fans kick in or not. I could be looking out over the most epic landscape I've ever seen that stretches for miles, and the system is quiet. But then I'm talking to a merchant who is standing against a solid rock face and the fans start blowing.

Freeman76

HZD's story and world building is superb in its first 5-6 hours so far. It's probably more engrossing than TW3 early on which was my GOTY. Someone would be selling this game very short if they don't think it can hang with that game on that front.

I didn't expect to be roped in to this game's narrative as much as I actually was so quickly. It's got a lot of payoff to live up to but it has a narrative and world building for days.

Thats just your view on it though. I am actually enjoying the game, story and gameplay are excellent, however it isnt gripping me yet to the point where I am engulfed in it and dont want to do anything else. Coming off the back of Nioh which consumed every second of my gaming time since it came out, it's a huge contrast to me.

Eh, from what I've heard of the dialog in Zelda, story is an area that it's going to get outshined it. The dialog is pretty bad and Nintendo is kinda new to this deep story with full voice acting stuff, Horizon has one of the better stories in gaming. Play for yourself and see but I couldn't disagree more with that US gamer review. She has some crazy high standards or something, I'm completely hooked on the story, Aloy is amazing...not done yet, but many have already stated the lore and world here are good enough to turn into a book series.

So yeah, she's smoking they good stuff IMO...lol

I'm the opossite so far. Only 5 hours in (which isn't close to enough to disagree with someone who has played the entirety of the game) but so far the story is more engaging to me than the combat. It feels like a page turner so far and has a really nice pace to it. It has a quality of 'I want to know what happens' so that you don't want to put it down.

Maybe I need to bump the difficulty up or what beasts I encounter later will make me change my game up but I don't feel very challenged so far and I don't even really feel like I need to use my entire kit to survive encounters with multiple enemies.

I was the one pre-release that was highly skeptical of GG writing a compelling game and they've absolutely done that so far. There's a lot of potential to go off the rails but so far, so good.

TheGrizz

I've only played the first 20 minutes but I really think they nailed that little moment.

So many feels in the first hour of gameplay. Aloy is going to be right up there with Ellie from TLoU, perhaps even more attachment, but we'll see how the rest of the story plays out. I love how they set everything up, it works so, so perfectly.

Got this game, fucking love it. Couldn't care less about fucking story, I'll read a book or watch a movie for that. The gameplay is so damn good and that's the only thing I care about in a......you know, game.

Freeman76

I'm the opossite so far. Only 5 hours in (which isn't close to enough to disagree with someone who has played the entirety of the game) but so far the story is more engaging to me than the combat. It feels like a page turner so far and has a really nice pace to it. It has a quality of 'I want to know what happens' so that you don't want to put it down.

Maybe I need to bump the difficulty up or what beasts I encounter later will make me change my game up but I don't feel very challenged so far and I don't even really feel like I need to use my entire kit to survive encounters with multiple enemies.

I was the one pre-release that was highly skeptical of GG writing a compelling game and they've absolutely done that so far. There's a lot of potential to go off the rails but so far, so good.

Yeah I can definitely see that once I become invested in the story I will want to see what happens next. I think so far it has been well written, Aloys voice actress sounds like the Herb shop owner in Whiterun, I keep expecting her to say 'Ah so you're an alchemist then' lol.

@Scary Shark if you're a seasoned gamer, you should play on Very hard imo for a challenge. It will get intense! Story only gets better, I'm slowly building up to that "wow" moment where you realize where this takes place, I'm starting to get an idea. I agree completely this is so far one of the better stories in the industry for me.

Tomeru

Thats just your view on it though. I am actually enjoying the game, story and gameplay are excellent, however it isnt gripping me yet to the point where I am engulfed in it and dont want to do anything else. Coming off the back of Nioh which consumed every second of my gaming time since it came out, it's a huge contrast to me.

Funny how that works huh? Everyone here have opinions.

Sanctuary

Is anyone else having issues with the HDR in this game? I don't know if it's my TV, or if it's just that poorly implemented, but every single time I barely pan the screen in any direction, the overall brightness shifts slightly from light to dark, to light, almost like a strobing effect. Everything shimmers in motion.

My god

Just started

Playing on lg oled 65c6v

4k + hdr + oled is a dream come true
Easily the best game I ever witnessed from any machine

Just wow. And open game ? How is that possible

I'm on a B6, and it's unbearable to look at. I don't know what's going on, but this isn't right.

Freeman76

Of course. That's the point of a message board :). Just offering my take as someone who greatly enjoyed one of the games that was being referenced and my experience (so far) with this.

Sorry I read your post like you were saying others were wrong because it didnt line up with your view in comparison to other games etc. My bad.

If the game keeps up with the level of characterization, reveals, pay offs, and subverting expectations that it has in the first four hours, this'll be one of my favorite stories in games

shiba5

As much I ended up loving TW3, it was really hard for me to get into. I started playing Horizon last night and didn't stop for 4 1/2 hours. Really loving the story and the combat.
I don't really get Ubi vibes from it (and I really liked Primal). It feels like Uncharted 4 and RDR had a baby and taught it to use Tomb Raider's crafting system.

X-Frame

Man, that old chestnut...

I played the whole game in HDR without Dynamic Contrast. The depth of blacks and level of contrast is insane without it.

Granted, I haven't tried, but I thought that thread had *finally* agreed that Dynamic Contrast is usually a loss in subtle detail with the risk of oversaturation?

Haha, hell if I know. I'm gonna test both tonight. I am sure I may go back and forth but apparently AVS Forum seems to agree that Dynamic Contrast should be for HDR but can be off for SDR.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Sometimes coming out of a cutscene back to gameplay, you forget your now in control
Sometimes its so fucking seamless
Like Oh shit, I can mover her now!

I just beat
The Corruptor and learned the way to hijack these lesser robo fools, come to my pet Watchers and Striders, must hack you!

Damn the first twist was Whoa!
Swerve thrown also into the mix was outstanding
Didn't expect that much, that fucking quick

Also I can't stop Foraging, all flowers and branches must be picked!
The gatherer in me must do this, OCD kicks in
Also every animal must die, need their meat, bones, and skin... Sorry!

I think the meme of "FIX THIS SHIT GUERILLA!" can be laid to rest
They put in WORK!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
People rip on Ubisoft because their games are mechanically trash and they haphazardly drown their games with checklist gameplay with zero thought. Horizon doesn't suffer from these things at all from what I've played.

I'm currently playing Far Cry Primal which recieved a Survivor mode patch post-launch that completely alters the "checklist" style game design by molding and practically upending the feature set into a platform for dealing with the much harsher limitations(changes too numerous to list with this mode active). It all works quite well though and honestly should have been the focus of the core game to begin with. It really does feel like you are chipping away at this harsh environment slowly in a bid to survive and outlast each prior step over merely ticking off checkboxes en route to 100%. Each outpost and campsite reached is a mini victory as stamina and resources dwindle. It really is a massive change over the relatively mindless busywork of FC3/4.

Not played much of Horizon yet, but I do hope it can deliver on some of the appeal Survivor mode provides me in Primal. Reviews seem to indicate there is more to this than open-world bloat, but Ill soon find out.

5 out of 10 is middle of the scale not average

There is a definition of average of which you are not using and it does not mean middle of the scale don't reinvent the wheel dude

The average score given to games is around a 7 or 8 not 5

ty_hot

A Brazilian company was responsible for designing most of the 3d art in Horizon. Awesome work. Never heard of them before, but they did an amazing job and are now hiring more people to start a new project in March. They also want to start working in the motion capture area soon. I can't not think that they might start working on Death Stranding (as Guerrilla and Kojima have this close colaboration, they might have given a big recommendation!)

60.000 hours of work, 23 people in the team
Most of the E3 trailer was designed in Brazil (they didnt know about the trailer, so when it was live they were caught by surprise because a lot of the things in the trailer came from their office)

Even more excited for this game now (Im Brazilian) and I hope more AAA games are (partly)developed in Brazil.

They also got a 10/10 score in the review in the Brazilian website.

https://noticias.bol.uol.com.br/ult...ue-ajudou-a-desenvolver-horizon-zero-dawn.htm

hype intensifies

God damn this game is good!! Climbed my first
tallneck

The default HUD in this game felt overwhelming. Putting it on dynamic is where I like it.

@Scary Shark if you're a seasoned gamer, you should play on Very hard imo for a challenge. It will get intense! Story only gets better, I'm slowly building up to that "wow" moment where you realize where this takes place, I'm starting to get an idea. I agree completely this is so far one of the better stories in the industry for me.
I may try that. I really don't want to have to replay sections multiple times or have to really double down on stealth because I really want to progress the plot because I'm enjoy it so much so far. That said, having to think more about what I'm doing may make the combat more satisfying.

Two other quick things before I dive back in:

* Didn't expect to like Alloy nearly as much as I do already. I expected her to be a lot more self-serious and stoic and even though she is when appropriate she can be sarcastic and funny as well. She's written like a teenager and Ashly Burch really sells her upbringing and background. Very strong performance.

* Gushing about the graphics seems superfluous at this point because it goes without saying but one thing I haven't seen brought up a ton is I love how ethnically diverse all the characters I've seen are. Not that there are hundreds of NPCs around but it feels like everyone you encounter has a different and unique face. It's not filled with strictly attractive people either. Young and old and people from all over the world. I reallllly like that.

level1

Which machines have you fought? I'm 20 hours in (level 25) and 2
sawtooths
at the same time can still fuck my shit up real good if I'm not super careful.

I may try that. I really don't want to have to replay sections multiple times or have to really double down on stealth because I really want to progress the plot because I'm enjoy it so much so far. That said, having to think more about what I'm doing may make the combat more satisfying.

Two other quick things before I dive back in:

* Didn't expect to like Alloy nearly as much as I do already. I expected her to be a lot more self-serious and stoic and even though she is when appropriate she can be sarcastic and funny as well. She's written like a teenager and Ashly Burch really sells her upbringing and background. Very strong performance.

* Gushing about the graphics seems superfluous at this point because it goes without saying but one thing I haven't seen brought up a ton is I love how ethnically diverse all the characters I've seen are. Not that there are hundreds of NPCs around but it feels like everyone you encounter has a different and unique face. It's not filled with strictly attractive people either. Young and old and people from all over the world. I reallllly like that.
100% agreed. Like Ellie in TLOU aloy is the star of this show...

And yeah, a thread was mentioned about the diversity of Horizon, it's pretty refreshing to see. And I love how important women are in the society, no one makes a big deal out of it, you just listen to "mother" lol...

Dope themes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom