• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
10 hours in, I think I'm more intrigued by the story rather than the combat. After all the praise on combat, I found it's actually quite lacking. I hate the roll to dodge mechanic, as it's not really reliable. Or maybe I just need to git gud. The aiming the bow with analog doesn't feel right to me either. And yes, I know that I'll be meeting more awesome enemies later. But doesn't it sound familiar to any of you? 'Just wait it'll get good after xx hours'

Edit: I've also enjoyed taking tons of screenshots, both gameplay and photo mode. I think it's actually slowing my pace a lot.

Ahasverus

A Brazilian company was responsible for designing most of the 3d art in Horizon. Awesome work. Never heard of them before, but they did an amazing job and are now hiring more people to start a new project in March. They also want to start working in the motion capture area soon. I can't not think that they might start working on Death Stranding (as Guerrilla and Kojima have this close colaboration, they might have given a big recommendation!)

60.000 hours of work, 23 people in the team
Most of the E3 trailer was designed in Brazil (they didnt know about the trailer, so when it was live they were caught by surprise because a lot of the things in the trailer came from their office)

Even more excited for this game now (Im Brazilian) and I hope more AAA games are (partly)developed in Brazil.

They also got a 10/10 score in the review in the Brazilian website.

https://noticias.bol.uol.com.br/ult...ue-ajudou-a-desenvolver-horizon-zero-dawn.htm

hype intensifies
Whaat, how does it work? They modeled everything and guerrilla ssut put it to work? I'm not sure if I'm getting it.

Is anyone else having issues with the HDR in this game? I don't know if it's my TV, or if it's just that poorly implemented, but every single time I barely pan the screen in any direction, the overall brightness shifts slightly from light to dark, to light, almost like a strobing effect. Everything shimmers in motion.

I'm on a B6, and it's unbearable to look at. I don't know what's going on, but this isn't right.

I have a B6......I really hope I don't experience this.

xviper

my biggest disappointment with the game is the combat, it's so boring

also the camera is annoying, the character is either on far left or far right, and it changes automatically in annoying times

i'm done playing for today, will continue tomorrow because i'm bored to death

so far this may end up as my biggest disappointment of the year

So what is the difference between the "favor resolution and "favor performance" modes? The resolution mode is obviously sharper and higher res (on my 1080p plasma), but I'm not seeing much difference otherwise.

Performance mode has slightly higher res shadows and what looks like some tessellation on rocks, but nothing too noticeable. The frame rate still feels like 30fps though. The resolution mode seems to be the one to go with.

Radec

Finally.
LZAtxzdh.jpg

See you guys tomorrow!

10 hours in, I think I'm more intrigued by the story rather than the combat. After all the praise on combat, I found it's actually quite lacking. I hate the roll to dodge mechanic, as it's not really reliable. Or maybe I just need to git gud. The aiming the bow with analog doesn't feel right to me either. And yes, I know that I'll be meeting more awesome enemies later. But doesn't it sound familiar to any of you? 'Just wait it'll get good after xx hours'

Edit: I've also enjoyed taking tons of screenshots, both gameplay and photo mode. I think it's actually slowing my pace a lot.

Dodging is reliable, you just need to actually time and position it right. Most early game enemies you want to dodge forward and left from their melee attacks.

Regarding wait till its get good, after the "velen style" area at the start, you can go where ever as far as i know. The game has a slow introduction cause it wants to drop the hand holding as soon as you leave that start area.

Dodging is reliable, you just need to actually time and position it right. Most early game enemies you want to dodge forward and left from their melee attacks.

Regarding wait till its get good, after the "velen style" area at the start, you can go where ever as far as i know. The game has a slow introduction cause it wants to drop the hand holding as soon as you leave that start area.

I have passed that point, actually.

Combat on this game is fantastic. Cant say enough good things about it. Dont even mind the fodder humans. They are still great fun to kill.

Hwoar

It's a fair review for a writer who was prioritising story and characters. 5/10 isn't a bad review remember, it's literally average.

From what I've read in reviews, the fact this game doesn't have a particularly engrossing story is enough to put me off,.

Oh snap, I didn't want to start these kind of arguments. It was meant as a innocent comment disagreeing with the review because I actually played the game :)o) a couple hours. Non engrossing story isn't even the concensus in the reviews. But nevermind your loss. I find your comment a bit weird for the rest, so I won't reply on anything else.

bombshell

So what is the difference between the "favor resolution and "favor performance" modes? The resolution mode is obviously sharper and higher res (on my 1080p plasma), but I'm not seeing much difference otherwise.

Performance mode has slightly higher res shadows and what looks like some tessellation on rocks, but nothing too noticeable. The frame rate still feels like 30fps though. The resolution mode seems to be the one to go with.

There isn't much difference to the modes, they are both 30 fps.

Resolution mode is the 4K checkerboard mode and it downsamples to your 1080p TV. It has very rare 1-2 fps drops.

Performance mode is a 100% locked 30 fps mode rendered in 1080p.

So basically only use performance mode if you absolutely can't tolerate very rare, small framerate dips.

The Lamp

also the camera is annoying, the character is either on far left or far right, and it changes automatically in annoying times

Where are you?

The combat gets more strategic and intense after about 5 hours. The beginning is very easy/basic

So many feels in the first hour of gameplay. Aloy is going to be right up there with Ellie from TLoU, perhaps even more attachment, but we'll see how the rest of the story plays out. I love how they set everything up, it works so, so perfectly.
Man I couldn't stop smiling when she was on screen. They really brought her emotions through I think.

v0mitg0d

If you need help with the Hunter Trials check here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUeP4wqAXXLBqQolWCJCOM2vp97M-gbNE

The Stalker one in particular was challenging:https://youtu.be/D4x3UkqqnHQ?list=PLUeP4wqAXXLBqQolWCJCOM2vp97M-gbNE

How awesome is this game?

Last night I fought a massive flying machine (that wasn't even a boss) and the battle was 10 minutes of dodging, tearing off armor, searching for weaknesses, laying traps, etc. It was so rewarding when it finally went down.

so_good.gif

Ok GAF, help me out

I'm super stuck in Nioh at the BS water boss (UmeBozi something).

Do I keep ploughing through that game or do I get Horizon today instead

The Lamp

So many feels in the first hour of gameplay. Aloy is going to be right up there with Ellie from TLoU, perhaps even more attachment, but we'll see how the rest of the story plays out. I love how they set everything up, it works so, so perfectly.

There are moments in this game where Aloy takes center stage and I thought "this might be my favorite female game character" at least next to Ellie.

Silvard

Alright, talking about the game part of the game for a change:

Does anyone know what the level cap is? Can you get all skills? Can you respec?

The Lamp

If you need help with the Hunter Trials check here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUeP4wqAXXLBqQolWCJCOM2vp97M-gbNE

The Stalker one in particular was challenging:https://youtu.be/D4x3UkqqnHQ?list=PLUeP4wqAXXLBqQolWCJCOM2vp97M-gbNE

How awesome is this game?

Last night I fought a massive flying machine (that wasn't even a boss) and the battle was 10 minutes of dodging, tearing off armor, searching for weaknesses, laying traps, etc. It was so rewarding when it finally went down.

so_good.gif

I remember I reached a part where I had to take out lots of stalkers and instead of assaulting them I laid out DOZENS of traps. When I lured them in it was like a cartoon violence disaster of hilarity as they tripped into progressively-chained explosives.

There isn't much difference to the modes, they are both 30 fps.

Resolution mode is the 4K checkerboard mode and it downsamples to your 1080p TV. It has very rare 1-2 fps drops.

Performance mode is a 100% locked 30 fps mode rendered in 1080p.

So basically only use performance mode if you absolutely can't tolerate very rare, small framerate dips.

Yeah, like I said the only difference I see are slightly sharper shadows and some rock tesselation in performance mode. There are also slightly better water reflections.

Still it looks so amazing in resolution mode even on a 1080p set that I think it's the better pick

reKon

Banned

do we have one of those situations similar to when people played Uncharted 4 as if it were a Gears game and called the combat boring?

ty_hot

Whaat, how does it work? They modeled everything and guerrilla ssut put it to work? I'm not sure if I'm getting it.

The article starts saying '3d art' in general, but also comments that they were happy to see the 'Shell walker' and the "Corrupter" in the E3 trailer because they did it and many other robots and all the mounts that the protagonist can use. Based on the job positions: 3d Art Environment, 3d Art Character, 3d Art Vehicles.

I dont know much about game development, but it seems the animations were not done there.

WHAT WE DO?
3D AAA Art

AAA games are the industry's head turners. Its what fuels fans and fantasies. Here at Kokku, we can provide AAA quality art assets for next gen consoles, PC and mobile in the form of characters, vehicles,
environments, buildings and props.
Concept Art

We bring your vision to life in the form of amazing concept artwork. Our artists can create concept art with varied stylistic views, easily putting on screen what the client wants and effortlessly blending in to their pipeline.

KaoteK

Ok GAF, help me out

I'm super stuck in Nioh at the BS water boss (UmeBozi something).

Do I keep ploughing through that game or do I get Horizon today instead

I can help you with that guy if you want, but there are far more frustrating bosses ahead...

I'm impressed by the dialogue wheels. You often have a decent amount of options to discuss/ask, and asking one can open new ones for more details

It's a fair review for a writer who was prioritising story and characters. 5/10 isn't a bad review remember, it's literally average.

5/10 is a horrendous score and well below the Average score of other games done by the same publication known to have serious flaws. Compare the "no man's sky" review to this one.

The vast majority of publications use a scale similar to a US grade school scoring scale where 7/10 is average and anything below that level has severe flaws that break gameplay. US Gamer is not an exception to this, their average score across all games reviewed is 76%.

LiK

Other than the incredible visuals and insane details, how the game feels to play was also an immediate impression. Aloy is like a cat and the game flows like liquid.

Yea, Guerrilla did a smart thing by taking out animation priorities like other big games like Uncharted 4 and Witcher 3. Aloy is super responsive and doesn't have some of those frustrating animation issues that people complain a lot about for the sake of animation fidelity. It was a good decision.

I'm impressed by the dialogue wheels. You often have a decent amount of options to discuss/ask, and asking one can open new ones for more details

Yea, it adds so much depth to the NPCs.

From what I've read in reviews, the fact this game doesn't have a particularly engrossing story is enough to put me off, play Zelda first and revisit this in 4/5 months. Polished gameplay isn't enough for everyone depending on what you look for in a game, and that's why we have different reviewers. Her review doesn't read like clickbait, it's the opinion of a reviewer, which is what all reviews are.

Nearly every review praises the story and the fact that it goes beyond your typical sci-fi and pre-historic tropes. You're purposely ignoring the testimony of 90+ reviews to fit your agenda. Neat.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Man this game is the first one to really get my PS4 Pro's fan going. It's not hair dryer level yet, but it's pretty loud.

Anyone else experiencing this?
2.5hrs in quiet as a mouse are you running 4k or downsampled (if its a difference)

KaoteK

Yeah it's quite in-depth, at least more than I was expecting given a few reviews said there weren't a lot of dialogue choices (the Videogamer one comes to mind)

I think it works well, you get to choose if you want more details or just skip ahead if you want to get on with the robot murdering.

The Lamp

From what I've read in reviews, the fact this game doesn't have a particularly engrossing story is enough to put me off, play Zelda first and revisit this in 4/5 months. Polished gameplay isn't enough for everyone depending on what you look for in a game, and that's why we have different reviewers. Her review doesn't read like clickbait, it's the opinion of a reviewer, which is what all reviews are.

The problem is that Horizon's story for a video game is nowhere near "below average" or "just average." It's at least above average in pacing, quality, voice acting, storytelling, plot, and concept. So it's hard for me to understand a criticism about its story being "5/10 bad."

GravyButt

Is there a good indicator of what you can sell to merchants? Ive been collecting a ton of stuff but don't know what I should keep or sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom