• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

breakfuss

Somewhat on-topic and off-topic but is trading my PS4 in for PS4 Pro worth it? Not only for this game but in general too? I have a 4k HDR TV .

Yes. I'm not sure I'm able to articulate what's going on with Horizon as well others here but the shit is just downright gorgeous. I'm a strong proponent for better framerates (still am) but this is nearly swaying my opinion. I mean, I'm sure this still looks stunning at 1080 but if you can spring for it I would.

Krakin

I live in the Caribbean so the game unlocked at 1 am. Thought I'd play for one hour then hit the hay. Crawled into bed at 4 am

my biggest disappointment with the game is the combat, it's so boring

also the camera is annoying, the character is either on far left or far right, and it changes automatically in annoying times

i'm done playing for today, will continue tomorrow because i'm bored to death

so far this may end up as my biggest disappointment of the year
i don't know why you got it lol...you didn't seem to like anything about it....

Apt101

Guerilla Games holy hell. WOW. Anyone who gets to play this on a Pro, 4K, HDR, is in for a treat. This looks better than games on my $2k PC. And it is fun. If it keeps up this isn't just game of the year, it's game of the decade.

ajanke

How did you get out of there? I had to reload. Thought it was a bug

I didn't go in the front entrance.
I climbed up the rocks on the left side where there was a dead watcher I wanted to collect shards from. When I got up there to get the shards there was a back entrance that lead straight to the Thunderjaw. IDK if that's the only way in though or if the front door works too.

Silvard

Are there any missables? From what I've done so far it seems like there are, it has me really anxious about progressing the main story.

8bit

Knows the Score
Ugh, was gonna skip on this and just focus on Zelda in 3 days but it seems I cannot. Looks too amazing.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ferr986

Somewhat on-topic and off-topic but is trading my PS4 in for PS4 Pro worth it? Not only for this game but in general too? I have a 4k HDR TV .

Aren't the two versions pretty close? Difference is just 1080p vs 4K checkerboard, and better AF if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways I would say yes, if you get a good trade. Not because of the more power itself, I did it mainly because I got a new hardware (so longer lasting, my old PS4 was noisy and hot as fuck), new warranty, and new/better pad (150€ trading my old console and a couple of games I already had digital.).

Buying straight away without trading and already having a PS4 feels like a waste of money to me, but of course opinions may vary. Also you have a 4k TV, I'm still on 1080p.

Freeman76

I left the tutorial area before I was ready, didnt really look around much, I take it I can go back there after The Proving?

The Lamp

I didn't go in the front entrance.
I climbed up the rocks on the left side where there was a dead watcher I wanted to collect shards from. When I got up there to get the shards there was a back entrance that lead straight to the Thunderjaw. IDK if that's the only way in though or if the front door works too.

I went the same way you did but found it impossible to exit

Fuck it. I need a good single player RPG. Thankfully, I don't really bore that easily when it comes to open world games (except for The Division, I mean Jesus Christ that game dulled so quickly).

One question though, for anyone enjoying the game, how deep/shallow is the skill system? Is it closer to Skyrim, where it's all about passives, or is it closer to an active skill system?

Features that I need:

1- Audio Mode, although I'm using Uncharted 4 set and it works fantastically. (I don't like that voices sound almost all at the same volume making hard to notice how far you're from the person or where it's coming from)

2- ShareFactory theme.

3- Dynamic Theme with music.

LiK

Features that I need:

1- Audio Mode, although I'm using Uncharted 4 set and it works fantastically. (I don't like that voices sound almost all at the same volume making hard to notice how far you're from the person or where it's coming from)

2- ShareFactory theme.

3- Dynamic Theme with music.

the CE came with a theme but i didn't use it yet.

Having problems dodging enemies that run towards me. I keep healing constantly. Any tips?

Wait a bit longer before dodging. Often, an enemy will correct its course if you dodge too early and still hit you. You've sometimes got to bait them just a bit. Same with projectile attacks.

The skill that grants a longer dodge is also helpful.

Ernest

Banned
Torn on buying this on disc, or digital download through PSN.

Choices, choices, choices...

Not that anyone cares, but I went for the download!

Figured instead of going to a store and buying it, then getting home and waiting for the long download/install, I'll just start the download process in the morning before going to work, and the game should be ready when I get home. Also, this looks like a game I'm gonna keep playing, so I won't want to bother with a physical disc.

I think I'm getting over buying physical for games - especially since I've had a few videogames on blu-ray discs go bad on me.

Wow the CE is fantastic one of the best I have seen, great detail on the figure and the steelbook is really cool too

when picked up at best buy I asked if the game is selling well then remembered it only came out today but the guy said "oh yeah I have never seen so many games preordered and ready out back". He then said "at least 25" which sounds like a small amount of a best buy, but still glad to see good demand for it as a single player game with a female main character.

also picked up primal CE guide since it was 1c and dr strange 3D steelbook edition which looks awesome

The Lamp

oh actually I fast traveled now that I think of it. I chose a side quest that I wanted then picked the closest campfire.

The game didn't let me
inside that cauldron. Said you can't fast travel here. I had to reload.

WARNING TO EVERYONE ABOUT THE ZETA CAULDRON (it's an early one): you may not be able to leave it once you enter without completing it. You may have to reload a previous save if you want to exit, although apparently jankaveli was able to fast travel out of there but he didn't actually enter. I wasn't able to. Be warned. Save and bring a fast travel pack if you're worried

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Anyone good streaming this on twitch, preferably normal human being who plays games for long periods and doesnt stop every 5 minutes for ads/subscribers/popups.

I cant stress normal enough, manufactured streams are just awful for me.

Also, BEST DETECTIVE VISION VISUAL EFFECT OF ALL TIMES.

Good step in the right direction for this mechanic, great sci fi and it doesn't destroy the game's visuals.

Also, BEST DETECTIVE VISION VISUAL EFFECT OF ALL TIMES.

Good step in the right direction for this mechanic, great sci fi and it doesn't destroy the game's visuals.

Aye, very subtle, and I love that you can "tag" a trail and then just sprint to follow. No need to tab in and out of detective mode like The Witcher 3.

Having problems dodging enemies that run towards me. I keep healing constantly. Any tips?
Run like hell.

Jk..a strat that works for enemies like that in many other games is to roll somewhat towards the charging enemies, but just off to their right or left. That way their momentum won't carry them into you if you roll back. Try that?

The game didn't let me

WARNING TO EVERYONE ABOUT THE SECOND CAULDRON: you may not be able to leave it without completing it. You may have to reload a previous save if you want to exit, although apparently jankaveli was able to fast travel out of there, I wasn't. Be warned. Save and bring a fast travel pack if you're worried

Which one is the one you were stuck at? I've done two and I was able to leave them both easily. Is it that one where you battle a
Snapmaws and Ravager? You climb down a canyon and then when you come out of the Cauldron there's a bridge you can activate

It was the second one I did.

LiK

I should probably mention that so far every named NPC has a very unique face. I'm guessing they scanned the actors or something. I like how expressive they are too. Some emote better than others but it's nice to see.

ajanke

The game didn't let me

WARNING TO EVERYONE ABOUT THE SECOND CAULDRON: you may not be able to leave it without completing it. You may have to reload a previous save if you want to exit, although apparently jankaveli was able to fast travel out of there, I wasn't. Be warned. Save and bring a fast travel pack if you're worried

Weird. I fast traveled out of there no problem.

Docpan

What are the PS4 pro modes?

4K version and performance mode? Which is ideal? Is performance mode unlocked frame rate or what?

I just want to play the most ideal shit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom