• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

black070

g2ERUTC.gif

I said damn.

ajanke

Just had the game spoiled for me in the YouTube comments of a video not even about Horizon.

It's like The Force Awakens all over again.

I just completely avoid YT and their comments if I'm trying to avoid spoilers. Even it's unrelated. Same goes for Reddit.

CHC

So does saving at a bonfire actually do anything? It seems there are checkpoints so I don't really get it, nor does it seem to far forward time or heal you. What's the deal?

LiK

So does saving at a bonfire actually do anything? It seems there are checkpoints so I don't really get it, nor does it seem to far forward time or heal you. What's the deal?

Well, you can do hard saves as well and they serve as fast travel spots.
\
edit: beaten

What about side quests/errands? I mean I did some in the prologue of sorts that explicitly make reference to
not being allowed to speak to Aloy but doing it anyway, which obviously changes after the events of The Proving.
What if I hadn't done those before moving on with the story? Or maybe I did miss some.

Since there's no trophy for completing every side quest, you're fine with regard to that. I'm not positive about 100% game completion, though, which the menu tracks separately for your own notes. I know side quests can add between 0.5% and 1% to that total.

EDIT: Also, there is a TON of dynamic dialogue that reacts to certain things that have or haven't happened to Aloy. I've been watching my S.O. play the same quests and the dialogue is different depending on whether you have or haven't done other things. There's a good chance everything is completable regardless of the Proving talk.

Im not sure why they dont heal you, but they are save points. There are some checkpoints, if you start a quest, but if you die naturally, you respawn back at the last bonfire.

Really irks me that this game provide more tense exploration than the last 3 souls games.

Just go into menu, pick a camp fire that you've used (green) then press r2.

Coolio.

After the opening which kind of rubbed me the wrong way (Rost's blandness nearly put me to sleep and young Aloy looks ghastly), I got into a nice groove and started enjoying myself. Just got cut loose and I'm about too leave the opening area. The premise is much more interesting than I gave it credit.

lol ruh roh. The last main story mission I did was
Capture Dervahl in Meridian. How far do you think I am in the main story?
There are two tracks to the main story, so it's hard to tell on that fact alone. The more important question is how far along the track involving Olin and Sylens you are.

GRaider81

3 small nit picks.

Animal respawns too quickly
No visual spear and other weapons when not in use.
Climbing straight out of the UC book which I'm not a big fan of (basically can only climb where game says you can)

Love the game though, only 3-4 hours in.

Moonkeis

^ My gosh, that gif...the initial videos of this game didn't grab me right away. After watching a stream of this yesterday, I placed my preorder 5 mins later.

wrongway

tfw it's Horizon day and you learn that your DS4 didn't survive its encounter with a rogue water glass.

I haven't damaged a controller since I was 8 and Hulk Raged over Battletoads. What awesome timing. :[

I found Olin and my next step is to help him save his family.

I'd peg you at halfway through the main story, then. Technically, the quest to help Olin's family is a side quest. But the next main quest, which should be Maker's End, is where it *really* gets good.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
K, all the praise has convinced me to get this when it releases here tomorrow.

If this doesn't live up to TW3 I will send you all a disappointed PM and tell you exactly how disappointed I am :(

Slaythe

K, all the praise has convinced me to get this when it releases here tomorrow.

If this doesn't live up to TW3 I will send you all a disappointed PM and tell you exactly how disappointed I am :(

It is never a good thing to expect the game to be a replica of another.

It's an amazing game, don't "expect TW3" as in it's more action adventure. I think you'll enjoy the gameplay story and production values. :)

TW3 had so much content it makes it hard to equal it. But Horizon has an amazing and unique gameplay, something I can't say about witcher.

I think the other thing that might put you off is that your choices don't impact the story in big ways.

But I thought they did a great job with it because you get to shape Aloy's personality and they have meaningful dialogs and scenes to represent that. It's more of an emotional impact than a "story branching" type.

I have to admit that the water is the least impressive looking thing in the game. Maybe it's just me?

Nah, that's definitely the engine's weak point. I don't think anyone would argue that the water effects aren't weak next to everything else (though, waterfalls look great from a distance).

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Man, fuck work. Just got notification that this is waiting for me in my mailbox.

Hope my 4pm meeting is short.

Slaythe

Nah, that's definitely the engine's weak point. I don't think anyone would argue that the water effects aren't weak next to everything else (though, waterfalls look great from a distance).

The water itself looks good but the water interactions are piss poor lmao.

Small price to pay tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom