• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lamp

Which one is that one you were stuck at? I've done two and I was able to leave them both easily. Is it that one where you battle a
Snapmaws and Ravager? You climb down a canyon and then when you come out of the Cauldron there's a bridge you can activate

It was the second one I did.

Oh sorry I forgot how open this game is lol your 2nd cauldron may not be mine. It's the Zeta cauldron

One of the early cauldrons seems to require that you
enter through an "alternative route" that drops you off at a Thunderjaw and there's no way to climb back up.

ajanke

Which one is the one you were stuck at? I've done two and I was able to leave them both easily. Is it that one where you battle a
Snapmaws and Ravager? You climb down a canyon and then when you come out of the Cauldron there's a bridge you can activate

It was the second one I did.

the one he's referring to is
the one with the thunderjaw
but it's not specifically the 2nd one. It's the Zeta one I think is what it's called. It was just the second one I happened to go to.

ajanke

Oh sorry I forgot how open this game is lol your 2nd cauldron may not be mine.

enter through an "alternative route" that drops you off at a Thunderjaw and there's no way to climb back up.

I also didn't jump down. So maybe that helped. I scanned it and was like na I'm good.

BeeDog

Has anyone that have ordered the game from Webhallen (Sweden) received their copies yet? My Special Edition was supposedly shipped on Thursday; either it's lost in the mail, delayed (fucking Postnord) or Webhallen are lying. A bit worried now, especially since I was hyping myself to some Horizon time today...

Trying again, anyone? :(

Guerilla Games holy hell. WOW. Anyone who gets to play this on a Pro, 4K, HDR, is in for a treat. This looks better than games on my $2k PC. And it is fun. If it keeps up this isn't just game of the year, it's game of the decade.

my biggest disappointment with the game is the combat, it's so boring

also the camera is annoying, the character is either on far left or far right, and it changes automatically in annoying times

i'm done playing for today, will continue tomorrow because i'm bored to death

so far this may end up as my biggest disappointment of the year
This stuff is just funny.

Anyway, can't wait to join you all this weekend! Now to find a way to get a Pro and a good 4k TV on the cheap lol.

Tyaren

What are the PS4 pro modes?

4K version and performance mode? Which is ideal? Is performance mode unlocked frame rate or what?

I just want to play the most ideal shit

4K mode is all you need. Performance mode (1080p, locked 30fps, no enhanced visuals) has literally no merit, since 4K mode already runs very stable 99% of the time.

The Lamp

the one he's referring to is
the one with the thunderjaw
but it's not specifically the 2nd one. It's the Zeta one I think is what it's called. It was just the second one I happened to go to.

holy shit I just had a mind blown realization about some end game from thinking about something here.

This game. Holy shit.

ironcreed

Banned
Yep tried that, switched DNS to attempt to get a better CDN. Just horrible. Have a 130DL speed so should get bare minimum 6MB/s but horizon is downloading at 1. Sometimes less. Oh the joys of PSN.

Damn, I don't know what to tell you. I have 47 mbps and it pre-loaded in around two hours on Sunday. I guess PSN is just spotty like that.

Silvard

I have yet to experience any missables in my 30 hours (to my knowledge)

There are no missable collectibles or trophies. Everything can be returned to later.

What about side quests/errands? I mean I did some in the prologue of sorts that explicitly make reference to
not being allowed to speak to Aloy but doing it anyway, which obviously changes after the events of The Proving.
What if I hadn't done those before moving on with the story? Or maybe I did miss some.

v0mitg0d

I remember I reached a part where I had to take out lots of stalkers and instead of assaulting them I laid out DOZENS of traps. When I lured them in it was like a cartoon violence disaster of hilarity as they tripped into progressively-chained explosives.

So fantastic.

TheGrizz

There are moments in this game where Aloy takes center stage and I thought "this might be my favorite female game character" at least next to Ellie.

Heck with the favorite female character, I'm leaning towards favorite character, EVER. The whole feeling like an outsider really hits home and I think will hit home with a lot of people. Just wanting to belong and feeling wanted is a theme that tugs hard at the ol' heart strings.

Oh, and she's a red head, so that's cool :)

f@luS

More than a member.
Is anyone else having issues with the HDR in this game? I don't know if it's my TV, or if it's just that poorly implemented, but every single time I barely pan the screen in any direction, the overall brightness shifts slightly from light to dark, to light, almost like a strobing effect. Everything shimmers in motion.

I'm on a B6, and it's unbearable to look at. I don't know what's going on, but this isn't right.
I've done several testing and I concluded that dynamic contrast is the way to go for hdr gaming. (Not in sdr )

Dave_6

I've got another ~7 hours till I can play it, after it installs of course. My Pro and 65" LG OLED are definitely ready!

RedFury

This stuff is just funny.

Anyway, can't wait to join you all this weekend! Now to find a way to get a Pro and a good 4k TV on the cheap lol.
Word of advice don't listen to anything xviper says. If you need proof go through his post history. If you want valid criticisms without the hyperbole/trolling he's better off on your ignore list like everyone in the nioh thread did, or anything other than MG and Souls really.

ajanke

holy shit I just had a mind blown realization about some end game from thinking about something here.

This game. Holy shit.

lol ruh roh. The last main story mission I did was
Capture Dervahl in Meridian. How far do you think I am in the main story?

Alias03

Having problems dodging enemies that run towards me.I keep healing constantly. Any tips?

Don't get hit? Haha jk my advise would be to try your best not to get spotted and kind of pre plan your fights out with traps and such. Also maybe invest in stealth skills in your skill tree if you haven't done so already. Getting the watchers to come to you and stealth kill them is helpful.

Putty

my biggest disappointment with the game is the combat, it's so boring

also the camera is annoying, the character is either on far left or far right, and it changes automatically in annoying times

i'm done playing for today, will continue tomorrow because i'm bored to death

so far this may end up as my biggest disappointment of the year

You gotta try harder than this son, come on now...

Tagavaka

Neo Member
I don't know what to do I really want the Collector's Edition but when I went to buy it before it was sold out everywhere except Amazon where the Canadian version of Amazon was selling it for nearly $400 which is ridiculous. I game a lot but I have never bought a Collector's Edition before and i've noticed as well that when the game comes out you'd be hard pressed to find the Collector's Edition anywhere. What are my options? Do I wait until maybe Gamestop or some other retailer will have another batch to sell?

I haven't looked forward to a game like I have been looking forward to this for a long time

g2ERUTC.gif

ajanke

Don't get hit? Haha jk my advise would be to try your best not to get spotted and kind of pre plan your fights out with traps and such. Also maybe invest in stealth skills in your skill tree if you haven't done so already. Getting the watchers to come to you and stealth kill them is helpful.

I need to get better at planning. I always set up traps and shit and the damn robots then run the other direction lol.

Kyonashi

5 out of 10 is middle of the scale not average

There is a definition of average of which you are not using and it does not mean middle of the scale don't reinvent the wheel dude

The average score given to games is around a 7 or 8 not 5

I didn't say it was the average score given to games, but that on a 10-point scale it is a signifier of a middle-of-the-road, or 'average' game. I won't even get into the fact that you're right about your second point, cause that's an issue with how much of the scale reviewers generally use (which thankfully has improved over the last few years).

Nearly every review praises the story and the fact that it goes beyond your typical sci-fi and pre-historic tropes. You're purposely ignoring the testimony of 90+ reviews to fit your agenda. Neat.

I know what happens, I read the spoilers. I'm not going to repeat it here obviously but it's not some transcendent special narrative, it's a typical AAA story.

And my agenda? I literally said I was interested in picking it up when it drops in price. I played the game at a show and it was cool but not 'gotta have it' amazing. Uncharted 4 also got 90+ reviews and I'd call that just a pretty mediocre game with a shit-ton of polish. If I have an agenda whatsoever it's that I'd like more people to understand reviews are inherently subjective things, you're allowed to disagree with a reviewer, and jumping to vehemently defend games that have been out for less than 24 hours is a really weird trait of gaming communities.

Play the game, make your own opinion. It's fine if you like a game, it's fine if you dislike a game. Just don't shout about reviewers having ulterior motives just cause they disagree with you.
No-one gets into games journalism because they don't like videogames, they might just like different games to you.

X-Frame

I'm thinking about it too. Best way to do it? Trade-in? Sell private party?

For me, I traded in my PS4 to GameStop and bought the PS4 Pro right there. They applied my PS4 credit right to the Pro and it was incredibly simple.

Just need to make sure you have every cable and accessory (except the shitty PS4 wire mic) to give over to GameStop.

ajanke

For me, I traded in my PS4 to GameStop and bought the PS4 Pro right there. They applied my PS4 credit right to the Pro and it was incredibly simple.

Just need to make sure you have every cable and accessory (except the shitty PS4 wire mic) to give over to GameStop.

I did the same a few months back. I even brought in an extra controller and some games I didn't play. Ended up paying like 50 bucks for the ps4 pro.

Sanctuary

I've done several testing and I concluded that dynamic contrast is the way to go for hdr gaming. (Not in sdr )

That doesn't fix the problem at all. I tried messing with all of the dynamic contrast settings too, and it does absolutely nothing.

I'm only two hours in, but so far it's actually not doing much for me. With the ridiculous graphical problems I'm having, and the day/night cycles that seem to be stuck on ludicrous speed, it's not leaving a good first impression. It will literally be mid afternoon when I'm at the top of a mountain. I slide down the mountain and suddenly it's nighttime with a dark green overcast? Then, out of nowhere I'll get a huge patch of moonlight on the grass in front of me that is as bright as sunlight, look up in the sky and the moon is completely occluded behind the clouds. Travel for approximately one minute and it's daytime again. That makes zero sense.

When talking to NPCs in the night too, the NPC will look like they are in somewhat natural lighting, then when it switches to Aloy, the screen goes super dim and all lightning essentially vanishes.

Combat in this game is fucking amazing. Are you kidding me.

1. Even when you bull's-eye something, often Aloy shoots an arrow that veers wildly off the mark.

2. Can you lock on in this game at all, or is it just a bunch of manual random camera corrections mid roll? You can lock on enemies in the grid view, but that seems to only be for tracking specific prey, not to keep the camera locked on during combat.

CHC

Man there is A LOT more dialogue than I expected. I'm talking to everyone about everything. The world is surprisingly interesting, I feel like there are a lot of ways this concept could have been done badly but it actually feels pretty fresh and competently handled.

Story up to meeting Varl
Alloy origin looks great, so there are people living behind the door inside the mountain, and Aloy mother left her outsode for some reason. I wonder if she's still alive.

The npc are great, Rost, Teersa, Karst, the vanguard from Meridian and the sun priest are really interesting too.
Very pleasantly surprised

Thinking about having a late lunch today just so I am not hungry when I get off work, so when I get home I can immediately start playing again.

Oh sorry I forgot how open this game is lol your 2nd cauldron may not be mine. It's the Zeta cauldron

Oh dang, I'll keep my eye out for that. I haven't done that one yet. It would be weird if there's really no way of getting out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom