• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zok310

Banned
Silly question for those well off into the game.
Should I be exploring or should I just play the main quest?

Done a lot of exploring but I am stating to notice my gear is not getting better, maybe the better gear is locked behind the main quest?

The Lamp

Done a lot of exploring but I am stating to notice my gear is not getting better, maybe the better gear is locked behind the main quest?

Better gear is locked behind merchants that become available as you progress in the story (or I guess you can explore too?)

You buy better gear with loot from fallen enemies which usually encourage better gear to defeat.

Shikoba

Picked it up last night and played through the beginning area. I still can't get over how good the game looks! Really enjoying it a lot so far.

I've gotten better gear, only completed 9 main quests and I'm at level 27 at the moment. Main quest recommended level is at 12 so I think I overdid it lol

I've gotten better gear, only completed 9 main quests and I'm at level 27 at the moment. Main quest recommended level is at 12 so I think I overdid it lol

One thing about the game is, skill is so much more important than numbers. You really can't over-level anything -- just get better at strategy, aiming, speed. In that vein, there isn't a lot of gear to advance through because the vertical progression is pretty limited. It's way more horizontal, trading elemental and attack-type pros and cons.

reKon

Banned
g2ERUTC.gif

The King of gifs has arrived.

Ray Down

Banned
At first I though I wouldn't like the mix of tech and nomadic when it came to the clothes and stuff but it really works.

Guerrilla is underrated when it comes to visuals. All their Killzone games looked incredible on their respective platforms.

Yep, KZ:SF still looks great.

The Lamp

lol in pre-release screens some people thought kid Aloy was hideous, now some think she's cute.

She's adorable in motion with voice acting.

kyser73

Started playing at 11pm, it's now 3:50am and I'm getting up for work in 2 hours. Haven't done this for a while :)

I'm gripped by this game at every level. Combat, story, the ease of the crafting & upgrade system (so easy to do in combat!) and this incredible, beautiful world GG have created.

Yea, I find her really cute and attractive.
Iunderstoodthatreference.gif

On my way home from work, fingers crossed my UK online retailer delivered today, as it did for many others.

My son and I are gonna have a great time with this game. He's about the same age as young Aloy. It's quite something that he's really excited by this game because of this. Is there a cheat to play her through the whole game Guerilla? You should totally make one, he would love it.

Murder

5 minutes in and I am already super butt-hurt that there isn't an option for camera and aiming sensitivity. Who thought this was a good idea? Major oversight.

One thing about the game is, skill is so much more important than numbers. You really can't over-level anything -- just get better at strategy, aiming, speed. In that vein, there isn't a lot of gear to advance through because the vertical progression is pretty limited. It's way more horizontal, trading elemental and attack-type pros and cons.

Oh yeah of course, I'm playing on hard as well. I did a level 15 mission and had difficulty, that's what I love about this game, if you don't prepare and play smart when you're fighting the robot Dino's, no matter how much health you got they can destroy you. Make a few wrong moves and that's it.

It's more about learning how to take each one down then stats.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Oh yeah of course, I'm playing on hard as well. I did a level 15 mission and had difficulty, that's what I love about this game, if you don't prepare and play smart when you're fighting the robot Dino's, no matter how much health you got they can destroy you. Make a few wrong moves and that's it.
Is there major preparations involved before every main mission? And how far can good spacing/awareness take you in this game's combat?

Kard8p3

Guess my PS4 shut down somehow during the night, won't get to plus before work after all :(. Oh well, I can sleep for a few more hours at least.

jiiikoo

Banned
Okay, so I've played this game for about 4 hours now and oh my god. I can't remember the last time I had this much fun with a single player game. And the story, so far, has been great.

I'm going to start on hard.

Hope I don't regret this. xD~~

I started on hard and I do admit, it's hard, like the name suggests. But ever since the first boss, I haven't died a single time. But we'll see when the next boss comes, I bet I die a lot in that one too... :p

This is so great to hear. I picked hard hoping for a challenge.

As someone who isn't a fan of open-world structures at all, would you guys think the core gameplay/combat is tight enough to possibly win someone like me over?

I honestly know nothing about this game somehow but it looks fantastic and I'm a fan of this whole Caveman Technology business from looking at it. I very strongly favor gameplay over story, characters and so on and can't say I've been a fan of a single one of the Ubisoft school of open world games.

I sadly don't have much time this week to research this one but just wanted to say I think it looks very cool on a surface-level and my interest is certainly piqued, just curious if anyone with somewhat similar tastes playing this can give me a rundown.

So I finished the main story of the game today. Just a great game! I liked the story and love the gameplay. It is so motivating!

And just an info. The "spoilers" from Gamefaq where the game is mentioned as totally hateful in regards to men is just bullshit. Nothing that was mentioned there is true. In case anybody really thought this might be true.

But the game is just the complete opposite. It is just nice to see a game with so much diversity and none of that is annoying. It just feels natural.

Luke_Wal

Dang... I'm about an hour in (just became
adult Aloy
, and all of a sudden I want nothing more than a plush Watcher this game is so beautiful, and it's off to such an incredibly strong start. If the rest of this game is anywhere near this strong, they're going to bring home a lot of awards come December.

It's also funny how many names in the opening credits I have no idea how to pronounce. I kind of forgot they were Dutch - was it natively written in Dutch? I assume that's the language spoken in the studio, yeah?

As someone who isn't a fan of open-world structures at all, would you guys think the core gameplay/combat is tight enough to possibly win someone like me over?

I honestly know nothing about this game somehow but it looks fantastic and I'm a fan of this whole Caveman Technology business from looking at it. I very strongly favor gameplay over story, characters and so on and can't say I've been a fan of a single one of the Ubisoft school of open world games.

I sadly don't have much time this week to research this one but just wanted to say I think it looks very cool on a surface-level and my interest is certainly piqued, just curious if anyone with somewhat similar tastes playing this can give me a rundown.
There's a strong emphasis on story and characters, and the gameplay is so much better than every other open world game out there. Almost like a slower Platinum game if that comparison isn't too out there. I think you'll have a great time.

jiiikoo

Banned
So I finished the main story of the game today. Just a great game! I liked the story and love the gameplay. It is so motivating!

And just an info. The "spoilers" from Gamefaq where the game is mentioned as totally hateful in regards to men is just bullshit. Nothing that was mentioned there is true. In case anybody really thought this might be true.

But the game is just the complete opposite. It is just nice to see a game with so much diversity and none of that is annoying. It just feels natural.

I bet they are saying the game is hating on men because the main protagonist is a woman... I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom