• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaythe

As someone who isn't a fan of open-world structures at all, would you guys think the core gameplay/combat is tight enough to possibly win someone like me over?

I honestly know nothing about this game somehow but it looks fantastic and I'm a fan of this whole Caveman Technology business from looking at it. I very strongly favor gameplay over story, characters and so on and can't say I've been a fan of a single one of the Ubisoft school of open world games.

I sadly don't have much time this week to research this one but just wanted to say I think it looks very cool on a surface-level and my interest is certainly piqued, just curious if anyone with somewhat similar tastes playing this can give me a rundown.

The gameplay is a melting pot of many other games, it ends being extremely fun and competent.

If you have 0 interest in lore and stories it might hurt the overall enjoyment, but the gameplay is pretty good.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
As someone who isn't a fan of open-world structures at all, would you guys think the core gameplay/combat is tight enough to possibly win someone like me over?

I honestly know nothing about this game somehow but it looks fantastic and I'm a fan of this whole Caveman Technology business from looking at it. I very strongly favor gameplay over story, characters and so on and can't say I've been a fan of a single one of the Ubisoft school of open world games.

I sadly don't have much time this week to research this one but just wanted to say I think it looks very cool on a surface-level and my interest is certainly piqued, just curious if anyone with somewhat similar tastes playing this can give me a rundown.
It'll be a nice break from Nioh, doo eeet. That's what I'm doing cause god damn NG+ loot game lol.

Played for about 5 hours today and, boy, this game got me hooked. I mean, I was already hyped to the damn roof for it, but the thing just refuses to stay out of my consciousness.

- Loved the intro and how it set everything up. I'm already intrigued by the entire premise and I can't wait to see what happens next!
- I'm still early in the game and Aloy is already one of my favorite characters in gaming, regardless of gender. She's just a fantastic protagonist! I can't forget how sassy she was when she first got into
Mother's Heart
. Can't forget that snarky
latrine comment to Resh
and what she actually did after saying that. As if that's not enough,
she burnt Bast on the sequence that followed
. Haha!
- OMG, Rost!! You're an awesome guy, but...
why did you have to be this game's Sean Bean?!
- As expected, fighting the machines are extremely fun. Guerrilla really delivered on this. I could forgive the terrible AI on human enemies because the main draw for me here are the robo-dinos.
- Being the OC guy that I am, I find myself picking up all the stuff I could see before me. I'll probably be playing this game for a veeeeeery long time. LOL
- Thankfully, running out of ammo doesn't mean stopping for a good amount of time causing inevitable death. The crafting system was really designed to complement Aloy's nimble movement. Very well done.
- Someone already mentioned this earlier, but the Focus is really one of the best "detective modes" out there.
- Guerrilla are definitely technical geniuses. The game runs so smoothly despite having one of (if not) the best graphics in any open world game. What's more amazing is how relatively quiet my standard PS4 while running this game. I mean, just how did they do all that?!
- This game would likely take over The Witcher 3 as my fave open world game. Damn, it's soooo good!

It's not all roses though. I notice that my arrows don't seem to hit the target properly while time is slowed. Does this happen to anybody else? Or am I just doing something wrong? XD

SomTervo

Sunk a couple of hours in there.

Yep. Very good so far. The RPG'ing is nice because they've picked specifically the bits they like while streamlining all the more frustrating bits of RPGs to the nth degree to make them as painless as possible. The world seems fantastic although I don't quite like the pace at which we travel through it - of course I'm only in the opening area so I'll probably feel OK about it once in the full world. I also didn't like the narrative pace of the first half hour. Felt a bit rushed and was slightly overwritten - but was still good.

The combat... the combat.

Great crunch. Great heft. Dodging feels good - i expected it to feel bad. Great strategy. On Hard you have to be careful but you can take probably 3-4 hits before going down, and you need to make sure you're stocked up on health items.

Like Dragon's Dogma, gathering and crafting actually feels vital and useful in this game, rather than just being another by the numbers "gotta craft fast!" system like in Tomb Raider or Far Cry.

In my first fight with a slightly larger enemy, I realised I bit off more than I could chew and trier to retreat quickly up a mountain path, hopping up a few shelves. It followed me. Fired a volley of lasers my way (the first time I saw the attack). I barely evaded and managed to get a lucky arrow in its eye.

Phenomenal.

All of the above applies to movement, too. They hold your hand just enough to give you a sense of freedom but not so much you feel led or stifled.

Coming straight off the back of Rise of the Tomb Raider (which I just finished) this is a breath of god damn fresh air.

Absolutely loving this game so far, I'm constantly in awe at these visuals in an open world. Alloy is agile as fuck and combat is fun as hell, machines really can take out your health so combat is all about staying mobile and landing your shots, it really is a fantastic gaming loop.

Did one investigative side quest so far, a small thing but being able to track trails outside of focus mode makes this infinitely more fun than having to stay in Witcher Sense mode in TW3.

LiK

image.php

Anime avatar guys, man.

FYI, she's not from an anime. She's from Steins;Gate 0 and is an awesome character.

Trying to avy shame is lame.

EndMerit

Hmm... I managed to finish Yakuza 0 few days ago, Nier is still week away and I do have money for both... Time's the real issue here...

My last big open-world game was MGSV, so I'm not burnt out on the genre either. I guess I could buy into the hype and buy this.

Sunk a couple of hours in there.

Yep. Very good so far. The RPG'ing is nice because they've picked specifically the bits they like while streamlining all the more frustrating bits of RPGs to the nth degree to make them as painless as possible. The world seems fantastic although I don't quite like the pace at which we travel through it - of course I'm only in the opening area so I'll probably feel OK about it once in the full world. I also didn't like the narrative pace of the first half hour. Felt a bit rushed and was slightly overwritten - but was still good.

The combat... the combat.

Great crunch. Great heft. Dodging feels good - i expected it to feel bad. Great strategy. On Hard you have to be careful but you can take probably 3-4 hits before going down, and you need to make sure you're stocked up on health items.

Like Dragon's Dogma, gathering and crafting actually feels vital and useful in this game, rather than just being another by the numbers "gotta craft fast!" system like in Tomb Raider or Far Cry.

In my first fight with a slightly larger enemy, I realised I bit off more than I could chew and trier to retreat quickly up a mountain path, hopping up a few shelves. It followed me. Fired a volley of lasers my way (the first time I saw the attack). I barely evaded and managed to get a lucky arrow in its eye.

Phenomenal.

All of the above applies to movement, too. They hold your hand just enough to give you a sense of freedom but not so much you feel led or stifled.

Coming straight off the back of Rise of the Tomb Raider (which I just finished) this is a breath of god damn fresh air.

TR took hand holding way too far. I was just panning around one of the tombs to get a read on what I needed to do and lara is just like "maybe i should try pulling the lever" or something like that. god dammit let me figure it out for two seconds. I played it after Dishonored 2 which is like the pinnacle of here's a goal, here's your toolbox, get there. The game allows you to use your tools and accounts for them. I think I did something unintended once but the developers accounted and designed for many of the ways players would attempt to solve the problems in front of them.

SomTervo

TR took hand holding way too far. I was just panning around one of the tombs to get a read on what I needed to do and lara is just like "maybe i should try pulling the lever" or something like that. god dammit let me figure it out for two seconds.

It's really frustrating. Later on in RoTR there are moments where they nail it and you really do feel like you're on a cool adventure (esp when you're using the grappling hook thing which is fantastic and intuitive), and the mechanics gel more than any in Uncharted ever did - but within minutes you're back to following pretty much a set path with the camera and Lara telling you how to do everything. Grrr.

Horizon is a beautiful challenge to this paradigm. I especially like that obvious climbing sections are designed like actual climbing gear that stands out - but optional/secret climbing sections are more blended rock ledges you have to actually concentrate on to figure out.

J-Skee

Horizon is the first disc game I've seen where it has to "copy" the game from the disc. This is the longest installation ever & I only have an hour lunch!

Hmm... I managed to finish Yakuza 0 few days ago, Nier is still week away and I do have money for both... Time's the real issue here...

My last big open-world game was MGSV, so I'm not burnt out on the genre either. I guess I could buy into the hype and buy this.

Just do it, man! ;-)

Anyway, if this game really delivers on the plot by the end, I might really want to see a movie adaptation eventually. It seems it has the potential to do well. And if they'll make it, I want Rose Leslie to play as Aloy. A little too predictable because of her stint in GoT, sure, but I loved her since I saw her as Gwen in Downton Abbey and I think she'll be great on this.

Is there major preparations involved before every main mission? And how far can good spacing/awareness take you in this game's combat?

Playing on hard, I don't feel like I'm outmatched or anything if I just jump in there. The thing you need to pay attention to the most is a robots weakness, certain things on their body will explode if you use fire arrows, to knock off armor you use ice and it's easier to break, things like that. After you get to know the enemies they are easier to take down.

Maybe prepare was the wrong word I used, but not having fire arrows limits you in taking an enemy down quickly. The further you get into the game the more you face strong packs of enemies and each of them different.

Dartastic

So, for those of you with a 1080p TV and a PS4 Pro, which graphics setting do you guys recommend? Does the game really look much better in the mode that prioritizes graphical performance? And is the jump in performance really worth sacrificing the graphical fidelity? I'm sure the game will run great regardless, but I kinda wanna get a sense for how this game runs in those modes.

cLOUDo

Can someone confirm if the game has a language selector (audio and subtitles)

I bought it digitally with my US account.

LiK

Horizon is the first disc game I've seen where it has to "copy" the game from the disc. This is the longest installation ever & I only have an hour lunch!

There's like no loading from what I recall so the installation was a good move.

People who choose to wear anime avatars, they sicken me deeply.

Thank gawd I know you from other community threads cuz I know you're joking or else I would've added you to my ignore list. ;)

do available side quests always pop up on the map? or do u have to find them on ur own? Im the kind of person that like to do everything possible before continuing with story

Stiler

IS anyone else finding issues with the sound?

I'm playing via my 5.1 surround sound setup and the sounds don't seem to do direction or distance very well.

Likewhen people talk it's hard to which direction it is exactly, even if they are clearly on my left side the dialogue seems stuck to front center.

Then when I was coming across machines in water the sound they made as they walked was REALLY loud, even though they were like 30+ feet away it sounded like they were right beside me.

It's weird, all my other games are fine, just seems like the audio is fubar somewhere.

Rixxan

I'm playing via my 5.1 surround sound setup and the sounds don't seem to do direction or distance very well.

Likewhen people talk it's hard to which direction it is exactly, even if they are clearly on my left side the dialogue seems stuck to front center.

Then when I was coming across machines in water the sound they made as they walked was REALLY loud, even though they were like 30+ feet away it sounded like they were right beside me.

It's weird, all my other games are fine, just seems like the audio is fubar somewhere.

I had some issues last night as well, but mostly with dialogue kind of sounding near and then far - randomly

Skux

So, for those of you with a 1080p TV and a PS4 Pro, which graphics setting do you guys recommend? Does the game really look much better in the mode that prioritizes graphical performance? And is the jump in performance really worth sacrificing the graphical fidelity? I'm sure the game will run great regardless, but I kinda wanna get a sense for how this game runs in those modes.

Play on the normal downsampling mode. The performance mode boost is marginal and the games runs at 30 almost all the time anyway.

SHarris78

I was truly not prepared for the graphics, truly stunning. I was also not prepared for the worst hardware crash since owning a PS4/Pro. Game stopped during the opening cinematic, went to the usual blue screen where it looks for an error code and couldn't find one, then it the cinematic came back on but with a still screen, then it turned my PSVR breakout box from standby to off and I had to unplug the PS4pro at the mains plug.

RootCause

Amazon pulled a fast one on me. My CE was supposed to arrive on March 1. After shipping last night it switched to March 6.

I'm going to contact them. :/

Hope everyone is having fun.

I guess there's no way to switch the camera from shoulder to shoulder at all?

Pet peeve of mine in 3rd person games, is always a great feature to have. Perhaps in a future patch.

Small complaint in an otherwise very fun game so far!

Cartho

I utterly detest how we have to wait another bloody day to play this just because we're not in the US. This shit needs to stop there is absolutely zero reason why this shouldn't be a WW launch. Especially when you consider how many people are breaking Street date left right and centre. My local Sainsbury's has had it in the games cupboard for the last week.

Yet no one can buy it this evening because.... Arbitrary reasons.

Taggen86

Anyone else getting blue horizontal lines on the bottom of the screen during dark cutscenes in horizon (for an example in the cutscene with the children in the room with beds and a fireplace in the beginning of the game)? I have never experienced this before on my oled. The blue lines only appear in cutscenes and never in gameplay.

I was truly not prepared for the graphics, truly stunning. I was also not prepared for the worst hardware crash since owning a PS4/Pro. Game stopped during the opening cinematic, went to the usual blue screen where it looks for an error code and couldn't find one, then it the cinematic came back on but with a still screen, then it turned my PSVR breakout box from standby to off and I had to unplug the PS4pro at the mains plug.

Exact same thing happened to me on the original PS4. Had to unplug my Ps4 from its power supply.

Zok310

Banned

You know what, I think Digital Fundry did say they had issues with 5.1. But they switched to stereo and everything came out ok once they did. Try that and see if it helps.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Playing on hard, I don't feel like I'm outmatched or anything if I just jump in there. The thing you need to pay attention to the most is a robots weakness, certain things on their body will explode if you use fire arrows, to knock off armor you use ice and it's easier to break, things like that. After you get to know the enemies they are easier to take down.

Maybe prepare was the wrong word I used, but not having fire arrows limits you in taking an enemy down quickly. The further you get into the game the more you face strong packs of enemies and each of them different.
Appreciate the input and something to definitely keep in mind while playing. From what I've read so far, the general consensus seems to be collect everything and always stock up. I like that they made a bunch of enemies multilayered as well and you can use a combination of specialties to peel off the layer(s) more quickly and efficiently like you mentioned with the ice and fire arrow trick. Getting to know each enemy type and their weaknesses is going to be fun because they are fucking robot dinosaurs! I'm still happy a quality game with this premise was made and delivered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom