• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalentan

17039074_10154989844925688_6601657078207645181_o.jpg

Hype levels are off the goddamn charts!!! :D

(Sorry for shitty camera quality, pretty sure my camera is dying on my phone.)

Mikey Jr.

So in the hunter lodge, there's some intel that details what happens in the future. Like, it talks about what Aloy and another character did even though it hasn't taken place.
Guerilla spoiled their own game, lol.

Just for future reference if anyone is reading this, DO NOT Read record of redmaw 2. Spoils the entire side quest lol.

Just a side quest, but still....

Ok so I played for about 4 hours last night and made it to the
first tallneck
. Overall the game is great, and I do enjoy it, but let's be honest about some of its flaws.

First, melee combat is bad, as in, Witcher 3 bad, or worse (because of no lock on), if that's possible. It's so vague. At one point, I accidentally hit R2 while I was sort of near an enemy, thinking "whoops". Aloy did a 180 and warped several meters to strike the enemy. Basically, melee is inconsistent. Without a lock on button, target acquisition feels random and execution of attacks is all over the place. I don't get why western devs can rarely seem to get this right. I just want them to make it so that the same thing happens every time I hit R2 or R1, not this weird contextual shit where Aloy will do different things depending on the location/position of the enemy. Luckily, melee combat doesn't play a huge role unless you're surrounded by enemies or doing a stealth takedown, so it's not as big a deal as it might seem, but it could definitely use improvement.

And for people saying the game is not like Far Cry... it's like Far Cry. It's probably the best Far Cry since 3, but it's still a Far Cry clone. Not necessarily a bad thing, but let's not be delusional here.

And for those saying it's like Monster Hunter... not even close. Like seriously. Don't go there. This is not a Monster Hunter clone. I wish it was, but it's not.

Positives however are:

1. Graphics.
2. World map graphics, such a sick 3d effect they achieved there. Love it.
3. Story is compelling, and I rarely say that about any video game.
4. Sense of mystery and desire to push forward to see new things.
5. Ranged combat is on point. Arrows are fast and can hit weak spots easily.
6. Basic movement feels great.
7. RPG systems are Far Cry through and through, which is both good and bad.
8. Enemy design

Oh and OT2 should be "Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Follow".

Aselith

Yup. Feels rock solid compared to other open world games. The menus are unlocked and run at 60 I think.

It does run well. I do wish it was 60 as games running at 30 always end up feeling a bit sluggish for me.

Even though I know it won't happen any time soon, I'd love a 60 fps version some day as a remaster.

cLOUDo

i asked this in the other page
can somebody help me, this is very important to me

Can someone confirm if the game has a language selector (audio and subtitles)

I bought it digitally with my US account.

Decided to take a quick break after taking down my first strider. Logged exactly 4 hours and feel like the game is really just beginning. The combat is ramping up quite nicely and I'm loving all the characters, especially Aloy. I think she might be my first video game character crush.

They really set the stage nicely though and I'm invested in Aloy through and through. That alone is a magnificent achievement as I usually don't give a damn about video game characters unless it's a Naughty Dog joint.

It does run well. I do wish it was 60 as games running at 30 always end up feeling a bit sluggish for me.

Even though I know it won't happen any time soon, I'd love a 60 fps version some day as a remaster.
Gotta wait for that PS5 pro 60fps remaster lol :p

Just a reminder for anyone starting: set the hud as dynamic in the settings! It's a must imo

SomTervo

First, melee combat is bad, as in, Witcher 3 bad, or worse (because of no lock on), if that's possible. It's so vague.

I really don't get any of the complaints about the melee combat.

It's clear within one swing at the start of the game that the melee combat system is "get close to your target, spam R1".

That's all I've been doing and it hasn't caused any issues so far. In fact, it's satisfying.

I utterly detest how we have to wait another bloody day to play this just because we're not in the US. This shit needs to stop there is absolutely zero reason why this shouldn't be a WW launch. Especially when you consider how many people are breaking Street date left right and centre. My local Sainsbury's has had it in the games cupboard for the last week.

Yet no one can buy it this evening because.... Arbitrary reasons.

Yep, I resort to local ma 'n' pa stores and SimplyGames.com or ShopTo to deliver early in cases like this.

This situation is especially annoying. When it's like a two week break is like "fair enough, there are three times as many languages to get fix up and get in there" but when it's a one-day difference... seriously what's the point

One thing I noticed on my Pro was that it seemed the game ran smoother in better graphics mode than better framerate mode. Maybe I'm just seeing things but I've been playing in enhanced visuals as it seems smoother that way even though I usually choose framerate(RotTR).

IS anyone else finding issues with the sound?

I'm playing via my 5.1 surround sound setup and the sounds don't seem to do direction or distance very well.

Likewhen people talk it's hard to which direction it is exactly, even if they are clearly on my left side the dialogue seems stuck to front center.

Then when I was coming across machines in water the sound they made as they walked was REALLY loud, even though they were like 30+ feet away it sounded like they were right beside me.

It's weird, all my other games are fine, just seems like the audio is fubar somewhere.

If you're in scan mode the enemy sounds are amplified, I noticed. The whole sound design changes. Could that be it?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
First impressions, based on playing on Hard that it's very fun and a good challenge right now.

I only saw the two E3 presentations so I don't know a lot of the machines and everyone of those introduction fights have been pretty dope! (Or randomly stumbling upon them in the world!)

Tyaren

One thing I noticed on my Pro was that it seemed the game ran smoother in better graphics mode than better framerate mode. Maybe I'm just seeing things but I've been playing in enhanced visuals as it seems smoother that way even though I usually choose framerate(RotTR).

The performance mode is rather odd in general. The enhanced visuals are also non-existant. It's basically the standard PS4 version.

I really don't get any of the complaints about the melee combat.

It's clear within one swing at the start of the game that the melee combat system is "get close to your target, spam R1".

That's all I've been doing and it hasn't caused any issues so far. In fact, it's satisfying.

Same for me. The only time my melee attack missed is when I didn't aim the camera directly at my target. It's not as good as ranged combat but it's not as bad as I expected, based on the early impressions.

I have a 2-year old 4K Vizio (no HDR) and a normal-ass PS4.

Is this still going to look really nice? I'm coming from Witcher 3 to this game.

mileS

This thread is moving really fast. What's the general word on difficult levels? I'm just about to start, leaning towards hard.

On my comment before with respect to not being abls to switch the camera across shoulders:

If you activate Focus, it goes over the right shoulder. So you do have some level of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom