• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

I can't get over the character models in the game. I adore them. So varied, so amazing looking, especially with that CG quality lighting/shadows/DoF.

41pL.png
qQBQ.png

Bxdo.png
gZx2.png

71B2.png
pZ7R.png

There is aim assist? No one is assisting me in the game, lol, and I constantly miss the robot parts that I am supposed to hit. XD

Yep. I didn't even use it. Disabled it off the start. I'm too used to playing R6: Siege.

Man, headshotting a watcher in mid-air slow motion.. God, the combat in this game is so good.

Edit: VanVinkle, the character in the first pic, his facial animations blew me away.

CHC

The written snippets that are scattered around the first
urban ruins
you reach are GREAT. Much more.... relevant and intelligently written than I expected. The transcript from
that right-wing radio show was surprisingly on-point with its tone. I'm very intrigued by the old world and what happened to it. I figured it was just some boring apocalypse but it seems like they put a lot of thought into what it was actually like. Getting almost Deus Ex 1 vibes from the political writings and debates peppered around.

Thank goodness we live in the age of Youtube. I was just a bit into the game - coming out of the cave as a kid - and I pressed X to try and jump, and just as I hit the button, a cutscene started and the button press skipped it. What the heck?

Anyway, I went to Youtube to see what I missed. Not much, but that's poor design.

Thank goodness we live in the age of Youtube. I was just a bit into the game - coming out of the cave as a kid - and I pressed X to try and jump, and just as I hit the button, a cutscene started and the button press skipped it. What the heck?

Anyway, I went to Youtube to see what I missed. Not much, but that's poor design.

It's a weird glitch that only seems to happen with that scene. Others can't be skipped so easily thankfully.

Where do I find that setting? I am man enough to admit that I do need it badly. XD

I think it's under controls but it's also enabled by default. So I guess it's not that strong?

DrBo42

I didn't think Uc4 would be beaten anytime soon visually but Horizon looks better. I've never seen such a good looking game in my life.
Not sure if I agree. UC4 seems more advanced with faces and their animation. In terms of environment I'd have to look at UC4 again. Horizon doesn't look full on realism to me and is slightly stylized, which tends to help. Horizon is probably the closest competition though.

So far my only deaths have been from falling to my death because I keep on thinking she'll grab onto the ledges automatically when I drop down..lol

fastmower

Not sure if I agree. UC4 seems more advanced with faces and their animation. In terms of environment I'd have to look at UC4 again. Horizon doesn't look full on realism to me and is slightly stylized, which tends to help. Horizon is probably the closest competition though.
I can assure you horizon looks better.

zulux21

So far my only deaths have been from falling to my death because I keep on thinking she'll grab onto the ledges automatically when I drop down..lol

my first two deaths were.

running straight into a group of watchers to melee them.

and jumping off a cliff into a river :p

Skux

Not gonna lie, she does swing her ass when she's walking...it could be less exaggerated.

This is how the human body works though. Women's hips are structured differently than men's for childbearing, and as such have a different gait.

Get'sMad

damn it. I was going to hold out on this one for a bit to finish up some other stuff but this thread is making want to go grab it right now.

*leaves thread, logs onto amazon prime account*

silva1991

Ok is the first sawtooth supposed to be hard on normal or am I just so bad
or both lol

Yes I know about the tripwire, but I'm trying to take down the weakspot first and boy it's not easy.

There is no assistance with my shots at all, lol. Maybe I accidentally turned if off when I tinkered with the settings.

Yea, I'm fairly sure it's under the controls options (where you can invert and such). Don't have the game on right now to check though.

I recall another poster saying that aim assist helps focus on key targets on the robots so I think there's definitely some help invoked.

or both lol

Yes I know about the tripwire, but I'm trying to take down the weakspot first and boy it's not easy.
Map its path set up the trip wire at least three times along the path, unleash hell Everytime he sets it off fallback repeat. Or you can be a boss and take it out head on

Exquisik

or both lol

I played on hard and it wasn't hard add it wasn't easy. I used the trip wired, shoot the fire arrows at its weak points, then melee and dodge the rest.

zulux21

or both lol

you can do it by weakspot, but it's way easier using trip wires.

Played this for a few hours and loving it so far. Wish I had more time to play

Does difficulty effect resources and experience? I assumed it was just tougher enemies. I'm playing on normal

apparently the overworld has less herbs if you're on the higher difficulties.

Exquisik

Five-ish hours in, I haven't died yet, but a fall was the thing that almost killed me.

Also a sawtooth almost got me. FOr some reason my crit R1 attack just wouldn't fire off when I had it down from a trap.

Yeah. I have issues with the crit attack as well. You have to be at the right spot for the prompt to come up. Often I would press R1 too soon and would do a light melee attack which would trigger off the R1 prompt.

Man, I am loving this game os far. The art, the environment, the characters, the story -- it's all of it. I also can't get over how incredible this game looks. The character models are just so good looking it's ridiculous. I can't wait to play more tomorrow.

I did the same exact thing, haha. I was a little annoyed but then again I didn't miss much.

I know I'm probably being stupid but how the hell do you turn off the way point?

I've turned it off in the HUD options and I can't see how to disable it in the quest menu.

And its still bloody there. I don't mind the compass one just the big stupid one with the feet.

I've just started as grown up Alloy.

zulux21

Is there something I need to unlock to be able to fast travel? I'm tired of running everywhere lol

the camp sites say if you have a travelers pack you can fast travel between camps.

but I haven't a clue how to get one yet as I am only a few hours in.

gZx2.png

I wanted to kill this fucker. but then he died. and I was like that's shit and sad. And the black girl also. :( And Roost

Man, the
proving!

I'm meant to move onto RE7 but I'm tempted to play more HZD.

One thing i totally expected the game to suck at was the story, since the very first trailer.
30 mins in and im hooked and i havent even begun prpper gameplay. The lore and dialogue is fantastic

Tyaren

I can't get over the character models in the game. I adore them. So varied, so amazing looking, especially with that CG quality lighting/shadows/DoF.

Funny you mention that and specifically Nil. I was very impressed by his character model too and took some photomode pics, when he was following me.

So this is what the character models actually look like during gameplay. The polygon model and texture quality are super impressive. And the characters' hair is actual hair and not thick wires like in most other games.
Also, look at the background textures. O:

Skux

Dammit I have to wait till the weekend to play this. The impressions sound amazing though. So glad it delivers and exceeds on expectations.

DrBo42

I can assure you horizon looks better.
Fair enough if you've actually recently compared. Nothing in Horizon has hit me like that UC4 area where you're climbing those muddy trails with the jeep as of yet. But I'm on a normal ps4 so I'm missing out.

SaberEdge

This graphical fidelity, performance and level of insane detail is normally what you would see in some little slice of a tech demo. Not in a massive open world game.

That's very true. It's incredible to see these kinds of visuals in an open world game. Each area seems like it was crafted with care and contains so much detail. You just don't usually get that in an open world RPG.

I didn't think Uc4 would be beaten anytime soon visually but Horizon looks better. I've never seen such a good looking game in my life.

I'll be honest, I didn't expect that either. Obviously I knew it looked really good, but seeing it and playing it in person really brings home just how good it looks. I thought the early reports of it looking better than Uncharted 4 were probably a bit hyperbolic, but they turned out to be correct. I do think Horizon looks better than Uncharted 4. That it manages this while being a gigantic open world game is simply astounding.

It also happens to be one of the best games on the PS4, in my opinion. Guerrilla completely deserves all the praise they are getting.

zulux21

[I

I wanted to kill this fucker. but then he died. and I was like that's shit and sad. And the black girl also. :( And Roost

Man, the
proving!

I'm meant to move onto RE7 but I'm tempted to play more HZD.

so you are that the same place I am but...

I don't think Rost is dead. seems like the type to survive an explosion, tell the elder to tell aloy he is dead so she won't go looking for him, just to show up later in the game to save her one more time.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't think anything has ever shat on witcher 3 from a greater height. The game, on console, looks comparable to w3's non-realized early gameplay renders

plus it's actually fun

BumRush

I'm about 3 hours in and forgot I had pre-order goodies. Can I apply them to my existing game?

Additionally, the game is sooooooooo good. I'm pretty ass at combat so far and I'm having a hard time reading the directional map, but I'm having a ton of fun and it's gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom