• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

Won't be able to tonight, but I'll check it out tomorrow to see what I experience. I don't think it's a bug though, this game is kinda funky when it comes to its weather patterns.

Thanks, maybe some others will check it out too once they reach the city. :) It is imo really distracting.

I know we have been joking about it a week ago...but there is actually a lot of fog going on in and around the city of Meridian. :/ At first I thought I was just unlucky with the weather, when I first approached the city and suddenly mist rolled in, but then it never went away, unless I quit the city and surroundings entirely. Or do I have a persistent weather bug?

Yep. I mentioned this in my video review, the city and visuals while impressive seem fogged, and even a bit rougher at times. Night time helps in the city. Less people wandering around and darkness.

Jamaro85

I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to figure out how to talk to Rost in the beginning, trying to scale walls in places where you clearly cannot. Did anybody else not immediately look at the yellow handhold and think to jump?

Kard8p3

Just started the game and Holy fuck am I going to get sucked in.

Bonus points for the goddess(I think?) being dubbed the All-Mother. Such a good name.

DrBo42

"Some problems"really? Seems like you have a lot of issue with the game. It's hard to understand why you even bought it in the first place when even the most basic but a core part of the game like "walking" bothers you.

And you really put to good use those hyperbolic adjectives too.
*shrug* K. Not sure how a walk animation is a core part of the game. You're free to disagree with my assessment of what I've played but ultimately it's my opinion. Save your post history witch hunt for someone actually being malicious or telling people their positive impressions are wrong.

Jtrizzy

Not gonna lie, she does swing her ass when she's walking...it could be less exaggerated. Wish I could play this at 60 fps, otherwise it's a phenomenal game.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This might sound hyperbolic, but my 60 year old Mom, Pakistani/Desi had a "I need to go lie down" with this game

She was like what movie you watching, thinking its some Pixar "Brave" kind of movie

Tell her its the game I showed her way back E3 and intro to the game recently (like a month+ back)

She never watches me play
She doesn't understand "vidya james" but Holy Shit she said "Now I know why you immerse yourself into that world and forget reality"

She passed by a few times checking on my progress, haha

She loves Aloys hair, can't stop talking about the environment and quality of graphics

Only thing she hates so far, my moms like why don't those Robots kill you more, pssh sneaking behind them, kill them upfront
My mom has the Warrior mentality I see

My mom doesn't like most games
She likes Uncharted and Death Stranding! (I shit you not, made me replays Mads Milkensen trailer like 4+ times)
Crazy to see her get involved and be entertained mostly by it

GG Guerilla Games, got a fan in my mom, a 60+ year old Desi Housewife (guessing not the demographic they were gonna attract)

zulux21

I think the implication was that she has interacted with folks (as was seen early on) but that she and Rost are to be shunned. So her interactions are not limited to just Rost.

it was shown she basically talked to her self around other people and very few select people willingly talked to her and in general she had to sneak around to talk with such people.
in general she just spent time with Rost.

I mean it isn't a big deal, just a little thing.

like I said I like her personality in general, just don't think given her raising that she would actually have that personality.

B.O.O.M

This might sound hyperbolic, but my 60 year old Mom, Pakistani/Desi had a "I need to go lie down" with this game

She was like what movie you watching, thinking its some Pixar "Brave" kind of movie

Tell her its the game I showed her way back E3 and intro to the game recently (like a month+ back)

She doesn't understand "vidya james" but Holy Shit she said "Now I know why you immerse yourself into that world and forget reality"

She loves Aloys hair, can't stop talking about the environment and quality of graphics

Only thing she hates so far, my moms like why don't those Robots kill you more, pssh sneaking behind them, kill them upfront

She likes Uncharted and Death Stranding! (I shit you not, made me replays Mads Milkensen trailer like 4+ times)

GG Guerilla Games, got a fan in my mom, a 60+ year old Desi Housewife (guessing not the demographic they were gonna attract)

man I love reading stuff like this

So I can't seem to complete the tutorial quests for the ropecaster or tripcaster

It just keeps saying 0/3 even though I've tied or tripped the enemies listed

What am I doing wrong?

LotusHD

Banned

This is awesome lol

DrBo42

Really really love Aloy. It has been a while since the last great character in a game(Geralt)
I'm actually pretty impressed with Birch. Didn't play through that adventure game I can't remember the name of but she's pretty good here. Genuine, funny and self-aware.

The Lamp

Not gonna lie, she does swing her ass when she's walking...it could be less exaggerated. Wish I could play this at 60 fps, otherwise it's a phenomenal game.

A woman's hips will sway things that hang off of them when she walks. Don't people think GG artists know how to animate a woman walking?

This is adorable.

I'm actually pretty impressed with Birch. Didn't play through that adventure game I can't remember the name of but she's pretty good here. Genuine, funny and self-aware.

When Ashley first burst onto the scene as Tiny Tina, I was worried she'd spend her career being typecast. Between Horizon and Life is Strange, turns out she has hella range

SaberEdge

I still can't believe I'm getting visuals like these on a console. Not only are the core graphics outstanding but the image quality is fantastic and the framerate is steady and consistent.

zulux21

So I can't seem to complete the tutorial quests for the ropecaster or tripcaster

What am I doing wrong?

it's the stupidest thing I have found in the game so far but...

you have to make them your active quest.

Tyaren

Yep. I mentioned this in my video review, the city and visuals while impressive seem fogged, and even a bit rougher at times. Night time helps in the city. Less people wandering around and darkness.

Ah, thanks. So it is probably indeed intentional. Maybe to relieve the game engine a little, since the city and the immense 360° view is very taxing.

Here's something from Digital Foundry walking through the city, I time stamped it, but if not it starts at 9 min, doesn't look like there's too much fog.

https://youtu.be/qTH8OnQKWeY?t=9m3s

Thanks, I actually already consulted that video before, to see if it was just my game. I think the snippet of gameplay in the video is exactly at dawn, when the fog usually lifts in my game too. It seems to be only there over the day.

sneas78

Banned

That's great. Haha.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there some kind of long term storage solution available? Like a chest or something to store you want to keep but not in your inventory?

I'm a bit of a hoarder so I don't like to get rid of weapons/outfits and other more valuable things like that.

ironcreed

Banned
I still can't believe I'm getting visuals like these on a console. Not only are the core graphics outstanding but the image quality is fantastic and the framerate is steady and consistent.

This graphical fidelity, performance and level of insane detail is normally what you would see in some little slice of a tech demo. Not in a massive open world game.

zulux21

Is there some kind of long term storage solution available? Like a chest or something to store you want to keep but not in your inventory?

I'm a bit of a hoarder so I don't like to get rid of weapons/outfits and other more valuable things like that.

have you been increasing your carrying capacity?

Purest 78

I didn't think Uc4 would be beaten anytime soon visually but Horizon looks better. I've never seen such a good looking game in my life.

Radec

I wish my 60yr old mom is as cool as yours.

I love her deeply still.

nelchaar

How are you guys playing this? Normal or hard difficulty? I'm 4 hours in and the game feels a bit too generous on the resources and exp side.

Apt101

When an enemy is very close to detecting me and I remember I have the stealth take down skill, I hear Batman in my head "The spear Alfred. The spear".

Great game so far!

Quick question. I think I missed an audio log in the beginning while Aloy is young. It was before you have to squeeze through a door that shuts behind you. Anyone know if I'll be able to go back and get it later?

Megasoum

Banned
have you been increasing your carrying capacity?

Yeah that obviously helped but the DLC stuff you get with the deluxe and the pre-order is taking a lot of room.

Also... Maybe I'm dumb but I'm not sure I totally understand the stats screens when looking at weapons and outfits. Like the pre-order bows look like they are maybe marginally better than the starting stuff? Not sure

CHC

What am I doing wrong?

Make sure that you have the quest activated. Same thing happened to me until I toggled it on. Probably a bug since the other quests seem to work whether you have them active or not.

zulux21

How are you guys playing this? Normal or hard difficulty? I'm 4 hours in and the game feels a bit too generous on the resources and exp side.

normal, but I in general dislike stealth, so I don't want it to be something I need to do most of the time to survive.

Yeah that obviously helped but the DLC stuff you get with the deluxe and the pre-order is taking a lot of room.

Also... Maybe I'm dumb but I'm not sure I totally understand the stats screens when looking at weapons and outfits. Like the pre-order bows look like they are maybe marginally better than the starting stuff? Not sure

I haven't even bothered installing my collectors dlc yet lol

vypek

Played this for a few hours and loving it so far. Wish I had more time to play

Does difficulty effect resources and experience? I assumed it was just tougher enemies. I'm playing on normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom