• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbkdx12

Played this all day. Game is great fun. I don't really think it's the second coming of video games largely because it's not hard to tell that if the game didn't have the dinos as the main attraction and scaled it back where there were only a few handfuls of them that this game would be nothing special. That being said it could really use some small quality of life changes

-Tagging in focus mode is super finicky. Particularly when enemies are close together. You have to get that little square in the middle of the circle dead smack on the enemy to tag them. Either having it be more responsive or having some kind of sweeping tag where you can hold R2 and just have it tag whatever you're looking at would be nice

-Unless i'm missing it, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to know how many shards you have without trying to craft ammo or going into the inventory screen

-The weapon wheel can feel quite cumbersome once you start getting weapons with multiple ammo types. Additionally, it sucks and quite honestly feels like a waste to have bows that specialize in certain ammo types rather than just having one overall bow and being able to craft individual arrow types.

-Tutorials only counting if they're activated is dumb

-I feel like i don't good grasp on how to effectively override enemies so they fight for you. It seems like they'll only fight if they're pretty close to other enemies otherwise they'll just kind of meander off which often times feels like there's no real way to get them to fight for you unless you get spotted and more or less bring the enemies to them. A simple "go there' command feature would be great.

-No ability to sell of junk with a simple button press

I legit almost shed a tear at the fucking intro.

At the fucking intro.

It is SO good.

This game is so good, and the visuals are unbelievable. Literally, I didn't think my PS4 could achieve something that looks so good, within an open world.

ZtQEbXv.jpg

Sorry about the compression, it went to twitter then some random conversion site to get it from jpg-large to jpg, doesn't quite do it justice but I don't want to quit the game to move the file over via USB.

Holy shit. That's another nice one.

Hm, I'm at Brom's camp trying to search for clues but I don't see anything to scan other than the smoke. Anyone know what exactly to look for?

Edit: Nvm I'm dumb lol.

Spending time with lilaloy made me love my children less
😥

I was sitting there thinking "man I should really be teaching my daughters how to do stuff like this..." when she was training with Rost. But then I realized I can barely cook dinner without injuring myself sometimes.

Exquisik

Hm, I'm at Brom's camp trying to search for clues but I don't see anything to scan other than the smoke. Anyone know what exactly to look for?

Edit: Nvm I'm dumb lol.

I'm glad you finally got a chance to play, although surprised that you have not gotten a chance to play it yet.

Edit: For the people asking about fast travel. Check your inventory for some treasure boxes. You may have collected them through various quests. If you don't have any, go to a merchant and get a free sample box. These boxes usually have the fast travel pouch, among other things. But honestly, I highly recommend traveling by foot as you have a better chance of engaging enemies for more resources as well as coming across sidequests.

hydruxo

Finished one of the cauldrons just now, and it really reminded me a lot of the Vault of Glass from Destiny. The atmosphere and art design is just incredible.

Also, apparently I played 8.5 hours of this game today since noon??!? I had no idea I'd played that much already. This game just sucks you in for hours.

dreamfall

Solid four hours in, I'm blown away. The story is surprisingly emotional, the combat mix between stealth and trying to survive is grand. The side missions with Witcher trails are pretty wonderful, and multilayered. I think some of the crafting and resource management feels a bit cumbersome/Far Cry-ish, but it hasn't really been much of an annoyance. The game has the best visuals I've ever seen. How they managed to make such amazing face tech has my jaw on the floor.

Bravo, Guerrilla. God damn!

Played a couple of hours yesterday, really beautiful game. Only downside is the combat i'm not feeling it right now, hopefully it gets better when i unlock more weapons/skills.

LuuKyK

I may be going crazy here but good lord this Teb guy (the one you save during the tutorial), whenever he speaks (especially in the conversation after the proving when he is older) I cannot unhear Neil Druckmann's voice (slightly altered).

Are we sure he didn't secretly record for this game a la Nolan North in TLOU? He is actively promoting the game on twitter too.

Please tell me I am not imagining things. lol

sneas78

Banned
Solid four hours in, I'm blown away. The story is surprisingly emotional, the combat mix between stealth and trying to survive is grand. The side missions with Witcher trails are pretty wonderful, and multilayered. I think some of the crafting and resource management feels a bit cumbersome/Far Cry-ish, but it hasn't really been much of an annoyance. The game has the best visuals I've ever seen. How they managed to make such amazing face tech has my jaw on the floor.

Bravo, Guerrilla. God damn!
Here is that 4hrs... every damn time .. " 4hrs till Horizon" meme

Man, the hunting-centric gameplay is SO good.

Love that the game really makes you pay for fucking up. Big machines slaughter you quickly, herds of machines you were going to hunt all run away and make you start over. So good.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Holy Shit at where we are located!

HOLY FUCK!, we're in COLORADO!, one of the vantage point says "Colorado Springs", near the Tallneck roaming around
LOL @ Apocashitstorm, well played Bashar Mati

TheFatMan

Just wrapped up about the first six hours. Stepped outside the gates of the "intro" area and saved for the night.

Game is kicking some serious ass so far and living up to almost every bit of hype I had for it, been a long time since a game delivered like this for me.

lionpants

"Luck of The Hunt" quest seems to be bugged for me where you need to get the 4 boar skins for Taim.

I got his ring, but he won't take the boar skins and it is just stuck.

:(

pablito

Just got outside of the starting area. Having a blast so far. Put it on hard mode and the robots can get pretty scary when they're up close.

Beginning spoilers

Child Aloy smiling at the nice dad hologram, looking all hopeful, getting the rock thrown at her not knowing why people hated her...absolutely destroyed me. I did not expect the feels

The writing is really damn good.

GG are blowing my expectations away.

Yup, like our many threads about the topic, I was hopeful since they did all of that hiring in areas like this recognizing it was something they needed to beef up going into a full-on RPG but they really did it.

It also gets its hooks and emotions into you surprisingly fast. I had to stop a while ago so I can go to bed now, I need the weekend to get here.

Toli08

Loving this game so far. Probably got 3-4hrs in right now.

The only things that bug me is the hair in the game. It sometimes goes WWE Yukes style and goes through the clothes and I dunno just bugs me. The other is I don't like that during scenes if you hit X it skips the scene. By accident hit it once and missed a hole part.

The rest is just amazing. Love Aloy just an amazing character.

Juraash

So I just wanted to pop in and share my initial thoughts so far. I played...4-5 hours and haven't made it to the Proving yet. Just exploring, doing side quests and gathering upgrade materials.

The game is really stunning, I was kind of awestruck from the intro onwards and I wasn't on a total media blackout or anything. The game looks and runs superbly.

Alloy is supremely well done so far. She has some story threads that instantly make her interesting and her personality has been wonderful so far.

The scanning/detective mode and the dialogue trees came as a surprise to me. I'd tried to avoid a lot of info about the game so these were unexpected but nice things to find.

Gameplay has been really fun as well far. The bow mechanics feel solid and I'm enjoying the stealth a lot.

Cranked it up to very hard from the start, no guts no glory. If the game stays this engaging I think it's a prime candidate for another plat.

Jamaro85

Off-topic, but does anybody know what I can do about this infinite YouTube sign-in loop? I haven't tried to upload a video in months and never had any problem signing in before, but now when I sign in everything seems to go ok, then it takes me back to selecting YouTube and signing in again.

Apt101

The deeper I get into this, the better it is. It's all of the best parts of Mass Effect 2, Witcher 3, Grand Theft Auto 5, all with Guerrilla Game's unique signature. I was not expecting a game this good.

Sora_N

I didn't like the intro. The graphics and art direction are superb.

I can't wait to play more.

I love how the game is fine even with HUD mostly off.

The writing and voice acting in this game is great, well above average for a game like this. Unfortunately the facial animations are a bit jarring. Aloy's are natural but many of the NPCs just animate weirdly. Love the game so far though.

On the cusp of 40 hours now. Man some of the late game main missions are awesome. Story wise and the spectacularness of it all. Your all in for a treat.

tmac456

good fuckin god just came across 2 sawtooths at once on the way to
Red Echoes to meet up with Varl and Sona
. That shit was intense. Was able to separate them from each other for the most part but GODDAMN

Stoffinator

Off-topic, but does anybody know what I can do about this infinite YouTube sign-in loop? I haven't tried to upload a video in months and never had any problem signing in before, but now when I sign in everything seems to go ok, then it takes me back to selecting YouTube and signing in again.

I find sometimes deleting the save data for YouTube helps with this issue.

Alienfan

The game is basically a more open Tomb Raider with robo Dinosaurs, but still having a blast. I think I know the story's big twist, it seems very obvious, could someone tell me how far in its revealed.
Humans are dead. Everyone is a robot
. If that's not the twist, sweet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom