• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

Did I just spend the last hour hunting wildlife and getting distracted with the scenery?

Jesus H Christ.

I even forgot I was going somewhere for a side quest.

Muffdraul

Absolutely loving this game, but I have a bizarre question- When you guys activate Focus, does Aloy have a little ring of purple light around it on the side of her head? I saw that in all of the recent previews, but playing it myself today she has no ring of light, though the NPC who also had a Focus did have it. Just strikes me as odd. Reminds me of how in Shadow Fall there was a bug whereby after a while the cool little ADS laser on your weapon models would randomly disappear and not come back until you restarted the game.

bombshell

Im currently without internet at home. Does the day one patch do anything outside of Pro Enhancements? I don't have a pro so don't mind missing it. If theres any bugs or performance fixes for regular I might tether my iPhone and destroy my data.

Update history for the 1.01 and 1.02 patches mentions crash, progression and player getting stuck fixes among other things.

Ferrio

Banned
Wow the stealth skills are OP. I slaughtered a herd that was clustered all within a small circle. They didn't even react as i picked them off one by one when they were next to each other.

Skeletron

Game is sooooo good. As soon as I got past the intro area I set all the HUD elements to Always Off (or Dynamic where required) and went exploring. Obviously it's beautiful; my jaw has been on the floor the entire time. It's just unbelievable, and I'm only playing on an OG PS4. I'm happily surprised the gameplay loop is really fun as well. Exploring, hunting animals and machines, finding artifacts and learning more a out the old world, meaningful sidequests. Love it!

My one complaint is that I can't disable the active quest marker in the HUD. I'd rather look at the map occasionally to find my way instead of having an icon in the HUD constantly pointing me in a direction. Having no active quest makes the marker disappear but every time I get a new quest it automatically becomes active and the marker pops up again. I'm wishing for a way to disable the quest marker permanently.

Jamaro85

Also the transition between night and day and rain and sun happens to quickly. Suddenly it can be sunny and then in just a matter of seconds the screen becomes gray and it starts raining.

I swear I've gone through a week in game time and am just progressing the main quest, yet The Proving is in "two days".

Anyway, loving this photo mode

C50BtAyWcAAigQk.jpg:large

Kremzeek

Omg the main theme song is hauntingly beautiful. Who is the singer? Who did the soundtrack?

I wish soundtrack/music info was in the OP...

Alo0oy

Banned
Played for about 5 hours. I just beat my first
Corruptor

The combat in this game is great, the amount of options you have this early is amazing. I unlocked all the extra loot skills first, I'll focus on the combat ones next.

And I saw the cutscene/conversation that upset gamefaqs so much lol.

aravuus

Combat hasn't really grabbed me so far unfortunately, but other than that, it's great. Exploring is fun, story is quite intriguing so far, really can't wait to see where it goes from here and the GAME LOOKS ALRIGHT I MEAN YOU KNOW IT'S NO BUBSY 3D BUT WHAT IS

Seriously though

I'm gonna go take some pics

Also the dynamic HUD is fantastic. I rarely turn these options on, but the amount of stuff on screen does get a bit distracting at times, so it's nice to run around with nothing but the compass on when there's nothing going on.

Stiler

So......exploring and I made my way up to an object that I don't think you were meant to climb, I got to a part that said for me to go back or my save game would be loaded.

I however captured this screenshot up there, something looks a bit ominous in the distance,

9MtAkmA.jpg

Some of you might have seen the thing I climbed, it was this:
Al2MS0Z.jpg

Looks like a huge fallen over tree, right?

Nope, (spoilers for what it is)
http://i.imgur.com/wbDmnHj.jpg

It's a huge
airplane
, which is obvious when you climb up it. You can even go inside of it, but sadly there is nothing in it or up there. A shame, I totally expected to find something cool after I realized what I was climbing.

That brings me to another question, is there nothing really to explore for? Like are there no hidden treasures/unique loot or anything?

That's part of what makes exploring in rpgs fun, coming across hidden/out of the way treasure and unique armor/weapons.

So far it seems like there's not much of a reward for exploring in terms of that kind of stuff, or really anything "hidden."

SHarris78

Only played an hour last night (after the game crashing on me), I can't wait to get back into it. As well as looking staggering I'm already rooting for Aloy as a character.

SomTervo

^ Stiler, exploring is often fruitless but sometimes gets you story files that are pretty damn good. I found one in a building a while back, was good.

I think it's nice that every cranny isn't brimming with content. Exploration for exploration's sake is a good thing.

I'm impressed there's so many minority characters in this game who aren't fucking cartoons like in GTA.

Yep, i had a huge grin every time i started a side quest that was all minorities (from a western pov).

And it kept happening. Glorious.

How is the side quest in this game as well as the little details that make it seem alive? don't want to start a witcher 3 debate but what I loved exploring about witcher 3 was that I know good stories are waiting for me in the side quests. Is this game any similar?

Kremzeek

I liked the combat a lot at first, but I feel like I nearly die everytime because more and more enemies just keep coming when all I'm trying to do is pass through. What can I upgrade to make myself a bit more OP?

Add armor/protection to your outfit?

Also dodge roll like crazy.

You can always retreat and use the environment to your advantage to block them.

JayB1920

So apparently I missed the second power cell you can access. The one in the
Womb of the Mountain
. I tried going back to get it but the gate is shut and Resh won't let me get back into the area. How do I or when will I be able get back in?

tmac456

Ugh. Stuck at the part where you invade
the killers complex and have to ignite the blaze hut to blow open the wall etc.

Any tips? I keep getting noticed and immediately rekt

Floody

Probably been answered already, but can you hide the head gear on armour sets? I'm not usually a fan of them, and doubly so for some of them in Horizon.

SomTervo

Movement is worth a unique mention. It is beautiful.

Jumping is snappy and satisfying.

Having a dedicated crouch button makes a huge difference.

Climbing is efficient but still requires a modicum of thought.

There don't seem to be any "dead" corners in terms of mobility - even tiny nooks that are typically annoying in open world games have a climbing point or platform up.

How is the side quest in this game as well as the little details that make it seem alive? don't want to start a witcher 3 debate but what I loved exploring about witcher 3 was that I know good stories are waiting for me in the side quests. Is this game any similar?

They seem very good so far. A few positives:

- they're not overlong but usually have a couple of nice stages
- the facial work (not lip sync) is way better than TW3's and mega immersive. So damn realistic
- the actual plots seem less important, seems more about characters and their relationships (parent/child, political/tribal, etc)
- they seem to always take you to nice new corners of the map or new fights
- haven't had any fetch quests yet, but the world and movement is so nice I'd be okay with it

I've only played a few so far though.

In terms of the world, it's beautiful and you definitely meet enough people on the road to make it feel "lived in" and detailed.

Negatives: i doubt it will really hit the highs of TW3's epic narratives and it doesn't seem to play with its lore as much as TW3. But again I'm only a few missions in.

zulux21

Ugh. Stuck at the part where you invade
the killers complex and have to ignite the blaze hut to blow open the wall etc.

Any tips? I keep getting noticed and immediately rekt

I spent like 45 minutes slowly making my way in. killing off nearly everyone before
the big dino caught a glimpse of me, walked over, and when walking on top of me noticed me.... as I hid in grass.

in frustration after loading I attacked him right away on the next run... ran back and hid.... and when the camp was on me I climbed up and ran for the place to shoot as fast as I could and ended up making it without killing a single enemy. I almost died while trying to switch to the fire arrow and make sense of where I needed to shoot but as soon as you make the shot you get a cut scene and the army comes in and you can hide while they kill everything.

Tyaren

That brings me to another question, is there nothing really to explore for? Like are there no hidden treasures/unique loot or anything?

There are hidden treasures. Multiple kinds of actually. There are mysterious metal flowers that a certain merchant will pay you a lot for, there are "treasures" from the ancient world, that another merchant will pay you a lot for, there are Banuk carvings another merchant will pay you a lot for, there are also interesting audio files and text documents and there are secret vantage points,
You can find them on your own, if you search well enough and/or are lucky, but you can also buy maps that will guide you to them.
Last but not least there are traditional treasure chests/loot boxes, but they are very rare in the wilderness and are mostly found in villages or bandit camps.

SomTervo

Performance is insane, honestly. Really smooth 30FPS 99% of the time.

Just to step back for a minute: This was on a Pro I take it Sunhi?

While the game looks good on my PS4 Vanilla, it doesn't look anywhere near this good.

Quite a big step if this is the Pro difference.

Performance is insane, honestly. Really smooth 30FPS 99% of the time.

Just to step back for a minute: This was on a Pro I take it Sunhi?

While the game looks good on my PS4 Vanilla, it doesn't look anywhere near this good.

Quite a big step if this is the Pro difference.

Pro + post-processing in Photoshop. I think.

Zen Aku

Is it just me or does Uncharted 4 still has this beat in term of facial animation and body fluidity. Everything else is drop dead gorgeous though.

Didn't play much of this last night due to season 4 of Overwatch starting, but I already find myself rooting for Aloy. Going to dig in deeper today

About 8 hours in.

Thoughts:

- Using the focus and going to a fix camera perspective without the ability to run is annoying. Would be far more efficient to just use the regular camera/movement with the focus activated.

- The game itself looks good. The CGI/Story Scenes just feel choppy when the camera cuts to the next character. There is a huge lack of shadows during these scenes as well.

- Would be far better if we just had one weapon instead of many types, more options are cool but I feel like the differences between bows for example are very small and negligible. Should focus more on the skill tree and being able to upgrade the weapons that way.

- Gameplay itself is extremely fun.

- Having little to no fetch quests feels good.

- Story/World is amazing, authentic, and truly offers something most games haven't explored yet.

- Voice acting is top notch.

- Alloy is an overall amazing protagonist, very likable, with realistic motivations and emotions.

- Wish there are more bigger monsters early on.

This is my only gripe so far. I found that very annoying.

BeeDog

Is it just me or does Uncharted 4 still has this beat in term of facial animation and body fluidity. Everything else is drop dead gorgeous though.

Well, yeah, it's a linear, more neatly directed game so it's not a surprise. Don't have my Horizon copy yet, but there's no real point in expecting the same level of details from a massive open-world game.

Yeah, this is pretty clear. But U4, in my opinion, has the best facial animation and body fluidity in any realistic-type game at the moment.

Zen Aku

Yeah, this is pretty clear. But U4, in my opinion, has the best facial animation and body fluidity in any realistic-type game at the moment.
Ah okay, glad I'm not just seeing things. I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. After the disappointment that is No Man Sky, I'm glad that one of the games I've been so excited for since E3 didnt disappoint. GG has come a long way, this is definitely their best game yet.

leng jai

Vanilla vs Pro is fairly negligible from what I've seen in comparisons.

The Pro would likely look significantly better on a 4K TV compared to a downsampling 1080p image. It's a similar situation to UC4 where the base AA solution is so good that downsampling doesn't make as much difference compared to other titles.

drotahorror

Are you using the R3 or jump/slide focus perk?

I'm using both, I'm a sucker for bullet time, was the first things I grabbed.

I think one of my main issues is just the weakpoints on certain creatures aren't very visible or something. Like when you're fighting 3 or 4 stridors and they're looking right at you, it's hard to get an angle on that canister on their backs. And then I believe it gets shot off after a couple of hits? Then what? Shoot them with several arrows that do little damage? Maybe I'm just not doing something right.

Where can I find information on what all the little icons mean in the weapons/armor sections of menus? Wish they had like a help toggle so I could hover over every little thing and see exactly what it represents, like in souls games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom