• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styles

Just took on 3 Bellowbacks at the same time and holy fuck was that exhilarating. Almost went bold after that fight. The girls were PULLING at my roots. I love this game.

Diancecht

I am buying this today. Is the combat easy? Last thing I want to do is mowing through enemies on Normal difficulty. Very Hard or Hard?

Morts

First three hours are great. I was
just made a Seeker.
I'm really glad I have a Pro and a 4k TV for this.

Does the game ever autosave or only at campfires?

black070

I thought performance gave better effects

Resolution mode - 2160pc w/better resolution on textures and texture filtering quality
Performance mode - 1080p w/better resolution on textures and texture filtering quality

You basically get all the same improvements, with the only difference being the resolution which is kept at 1080p in performance mode in favour of a true locked 30fps at all times.

Sorry if this is a noob question. I'm new to the PS4 so I'm not sure how it works. I put in my DLC codes on the PSN website for my account and I've found the items on my PS4 as installed. How do I find the items in Horizon though? They're not in my inventory or anything. Thanks to anyone who can help.

theres a trophy for "killed 10 machines weak to fire while burning, or weak to Freeze while forzen". Is the wording on this wrong? I just went and killed like 15 machines with fire who were weak to it and it didnt unlock. Do you have to get 10 fire+10 freeze?

When they catch on fire there's an HP drain type thing, they need to die with the HP drain.

ironcreed

Banned
It's amazing how they got the controls so friggin responsive for a 30fps game. It almost feels like 60.

I know for a fact The order had some crazy zero frame input lag tech and also felt like this.
And uncharted 4 in SP also feels like this.

Absolutely love the responsive controls, maybe some tech they share across multiple studio's

Yep, beyond the insane visuals it is also one of the better playing games out there. No doubt about it. You usually don't get the total package, but this is one of those games that has it all. Including the plot, atmosphere in a world that breathes life and tells a story visually, fun content and great characters.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
What's up with the ridiculous amount of collectable Audiologs and Texts in some of the missions.. kinda annoying, especially if you have 10 of those in 1 room, trying to listen to one of them while Aloy talks.

pixelbox

Resolution mode - 2160pc w/better resolution on textures and texture filtering quality
Performance mode - 1080p w/better resolution on textures and texture filtering quality

You basically get all the same improvements, with the only difference being the resolution which is kept at 1080p in performance mode in favour of a true locked 30fps at all times.
-_-'

danowat

Banned
I am buying this today. Is the combat easy? Last thing I want to do is mowing through enemies on Normal difficulty. Very Hard or Hard?

Stick it on hard, it's challenging, plus, you can change difficulty with no penalties at a later date if it's too much.

Not the farthest in but I've been taking out monsters pretty good with a bit of planning. It doesn't feel unfair and seems to push me towards putting a greater emphasis on the pre-combat planning and traps phase which I enjoy.

The damage values so far don't seem out of whack either. Monsters still go down relatively soon if you are hitting their weak points.

Awesome. Very hard it is!

Hm, first post makes me want to blind buy it, second makes me want to rent it first. Guess I'll do the latter, thanks.

I don't agree with that second post at all but it's better if you rent it and see for yourself. Horizon controls and plays very well and leaves TW3 in the dust in that aspect.

You can see the difference in Aloy's hair, and the small "cat tail" plants, although the far scenery appears to look better on the performance shots?, maybe due to it being more sharper?

It looks sharper in-game too.

Resolution:
Dkbg.jpg

Performance:
LY72.jpg

They look very similar other than slightly more detailed environmental textures in the resolution mode.

Yep, not a big difference even in compressed shots. Disappointing.

Elixist

Another thing that surprises me is how quiet my PS4 is while playing this game. Witchcraft.

mines jet engine, uc4, bloodborne style. iaintevenmad.jpeg

games awesome, graphics are just cray, im really loving the story the first time you get to see the village is really dam cool. great atmosphere.

RedFury

Played like 20 min with my son last night. My gosh the wizardry to make this look the way it does (on OG PS4 no less). Even my 10 year old was blown away and took note, I had to chuckle because it brought back memories of playing PS1 his age and thinking the same lol. When
little Aloy was ignored
he said "that's rude, what did she even do to them?", we were both already connected to Aloy as a character. Pretty good stuff.

lonerism

Sorry if this is a noob question. I'm new to the PS4 so I'm not sure how it works. I put in my DLC codes on the PSN website for my account and I've found the items on my PS4 as installed. How do I find the items in Horizon though? They're not in my inventory or anything. Thanks to anyone who can help.

I want to know as well

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Goddayum.
I took a screenshot at the same place. Really striking.

I think the DLC is handled as crates at a vendor. You have something in your inventory and the vendor will trade that DLC item for the actual item. Try at the first vendor.

black070

Convinced two of my more casual friends (mostly play FIFA/Call of Duty) to jump on this game day one with me after a recent conversation about the next 'big' game, and it's been great talking to them and hearing their thoughts on it. To the surprise of no one, they are absolutely loving it.

jdstorm

Banned

Sure. Its Easy ;) You shot put it on the Hardest Difficulty level for Laughs

Its Reasonably Challenging. Normal is probably a 7/10 degree of difficulty (Assasins Creed would be a 3 and Uncharted would be a 5)

RedFury

Convinced two of my more casual friends (mostly play FIFA/Call of Duty) to jump on this game day one with me after a recent conversation about the next 'big' game, and it's been great talking to them and hearing their thoughts on it. To the surprise of no one, they are absolutely loving it.
Man that is casual, glad they're enjoying it.

jiiikoo

Banned
I hope someone can answer this, but umm, when I scan an enemy (like one of the machines), there's an icon for a box and sometimes for an reticule below the name of the machine. How do I scroll between those, or is it tied to a skill or what? I've tried smashing all the buttons but nothing happens :(

Going to post for the new page.

Krisprolls

Banned
You can see the difference in Aloy's hair, and the small "cat tail" plants, although the far scenery appears to look better on the performance shots?, maybe due to it being more sharper?

They look pretty similar but on a 1080p TV, performance mode looks slightly better in my opinion due to being a bit sharper.

On the other hand, resolution mode is a bit more detailed.

silva1991

BTW you can pause what seems to be unpausable cutscenes with X.

I remember someone complaining about it in another thread last week.

Aloy has to be one of the most instantly likable characters that I can recall. I felt immediately attached to her.

Yeah she's great. I adore her.

Ricker

Well it depends on how you will want to play...in the first area,the Spear's skills makes the regular Scrappers and all super easy if you hide in bushes and do the silent strike,arrows are very weak at first so if you attack with arrows it's a little harder...if you want a challenge try hard I guess,you can change the difficulty anytime...

A quick example,I am playing on normal,was 2 levels over the suggested quest level and died the first time on the first Boss,so for me,normal should be fine and challenging.

Skyr

It's amazing how they got the controls so friggin responsive for a 30fps game. It almost feels like 60.

I know for a fact The order had some crazy zero frame input lag tech and also felt like this.
And uncharted 4 in SP also feels like this.

Absolutely love the responsive controls, maybe some tech they share across multiple studio's

This x1000

Every 30fps console game should be as responsive as horizon.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Took out my first Thunderjaw last night. Felt like I kind of cheated, though. I used (ammunition spoiler?)
the arrow that removes components, stripped everything and used both disc launchers.

I think the DLC is handled as crates at a vendor. You have something in your inventory and the vendor will trade that DLC item for the actual item. Try at the first vendor.

Ah I thought this might be the case. Will have to remember the item names and see if they're with the vendor.

Gojeran

Played about 6 hours last night. Loving it so far. Started on very hard and it's been umm very easy lol. Picked up a new weapon I haven't tried yet but excited to play again once I'm off work. It's been awhile since I've played a game that long in a single sitting.

aravuus

Thwacking animals to death in one hit never gets old

*THUD* "SCREEGH"

Stuff of nightmares

CBIk-cEUkAAOca8.jpg-large.jpg

I really need to customize the UI.

Hilarious how much that does look like Horizon's HUD.

I turned the EXP bar and the item notifications completely off, everything else to dynamic. Made a huge difference.

danowat

Banned
Something the game doesn't tell you (or I missed), is that when on dynamic UI, if you want to view the UI, you can just touch the touchpad and it will pop up for a short time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom