• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

How much variation is there in the weapons and armor? Or is it just standard types you see at the beginning with the 4 different rarities?

iratA

Spoiler Free Impression:

Just put the game down tonight after leaving the first hub/area when
you are Seeker
All I can say is THIS GAME... THIS GAME!

Que sogood.gif

sK6en9K.gif

Does anyone have any screenshots comparing Performance Mode and 4K Mode?

I was switching back and forth on my PS4 Pro last night between the 2 options and they looked the same to me.

Kalentan

I got to say the Blast Trap Hunting Trial was annoying as fuck. Didn't have the Blast Sling to direct the herd and so it was a game of trying to predict where they would go... Even though sometimes it felt completely random and they would sometimes spot the Blast Trap and run away. Took many tries.

CHC

The stealth icon is pretty redundant also, the enemies give you enough visual clues without it and it's basically just "you're hidden if you're in grass."

The prep in this game feels amazing. To take down a corruption zone I made sure to overdrive a few mechs that could interfere and then I set up multiple bombs and tripwire everywhere. After that I focused on using the elemental bombs to get crit numbers.

It felt amazing. For comparison in The Witcher 3 I never cared about bombs or oils but now I'm reading up on the machines beforehand and coming in prepared.

black070

Does anyone know how to turn the dialogue volume up ? It sounds a little too quiet sometimes during conversations even though everything's at 100%.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'm so ready to get home from school and start back playing. I don't remember the last time a game made me this happy, if ever.

LiK

Using the Tripwires is one of the pure joys of this game. Spread them out and then cause a ruckus and enjoy the fireworks. Easy kills.

level1

The standard types with different rarities.
Armor gets a little more creative.

There are some unique weapons to find too. For example I recently got the
tearblaster
from the
hunting lodge
questline. Not sure if there are more.

Played introductory training mission. Aloy in this mission is so adorable with rocking costume and fashion accessories.

On another note, I hate this trend of no paper manual at all. I'm not talking about 50 glossy pages describing every characters, items, weapons quests etc. but would be nice to have at least full explanation of all UI screens.

I'm really enjoying the game, it's very nice looking. Minor gripe but I can't help but feel like I can't see anything. I feel like I'm missing information, I can't see enemies and the camera seems too zoomed in on Aloy for me. There is a ton of useful information using R3 but then it slows you to a crawl and none of the information except trails stays marked once you leave R3 mode.

I got to say the Blast Trap Hunting Trial was annoying as fuck. Didn't have the Blast Sling to direct the herd and so it was a game of trying to predict where they would go... Even though sometimes it felt completely random and they would sometimes spot the Blast Trap and run away. Took many tries.

That was the easiest of the three for me. Setup 6 traps in the middle of the middle line, then throw a bomb from the first line, they'll run straight to the traps.

For PS4 Pro owners with a 1080p TV:

If you just left the game at resolution mode, I'd honestly go give performance mode a shot. I've been toggling it back and forth between resolution and performance and given the comparisons and talks with a couple other gaffers, I think it's a good idea to try out performance mode and see how it looks for you.

On my end, the performance mode just straight up looks sharper most of the time and there doesn't seem to be much of a perceptible difference in actual image quality most of the time.

The choices in Horizon... do they change anything? Or is it more of a "put yourself in Aloy's shoes but it doesn't affect outcomes" deal?

I would personally prefer the later. I can act the way I would want Aloy to act and I wouldn't have to worry about losing out on story.

They don't heavily impact it but you make decisions that affect things and can miss out on trophies if you're trying to Platinum it if you go against your heart / do bad things I believe.

danowat

Banned

If you just left the game at resolution mode, I'd honestly go give performance mode a shot. I've been toggling it back and forth between resolution and performance and given the comparisons and talks with a couple other gaffers, I think it's a good idea to try out performance mode and see how it looks for you.

On my end, the performance mode just straight up looks sharper most of the time and there doesn't seem to be much of a perceptible difference in actual image quality most of the time.

Could the downsampling from 4k to 1080p on resolution mode be softening things up?

Or do I just not know what I am talking about.

Wabba

I hate playing in the dark (my TV is just bad at displaying black), it really should be a option to make it go back to day again like the meditate function in W3.

cheesekao

I hate playing in the dark (my TV is just bad at displaying black), it really should be a option to make it go back to day again like the meditate function in W3.
Have you tried turning up the brightness? I normally do that if my games are too dark.

X-Frame

The prep in this game feels amazing. To take down a corruption zone I made sure to overdrive a few mechs that could interfere and then I set up multiple bombs and tripwire everywhere. After that I focused on using the elemental bombs to get crit numbers.

It felt amazing. For comparison in The Witcher 3 I never cared about bombs or oils but now I'm reading up on the machines beforehand and coming in prepared.

So much yes. This is what I love to hear, and one of the reasons why I loved the hardest difficulty for Witcher 3 because it encouraged me to exhaust all these options available to me.

I'm only 2 hours in but I can't wait for all that.

Once you are set free to the outside world, you can come back to those places and find secret stuff and some story interactions.

So I am still in the starting area, just doing all the side quests and I have
already gone back to the ruins where kid Aloy finds the device. I cleared the blocked areas with my spear to get caches and the Power Cell for some Ancient Armor that is Level 25. Is that what you're talking about or is there more once I finish the proving?

Ferr986

I wonder if Digital Foundry will cover the performance mode? or they already did and I missed it?

I'll surely check both modes when I get home.

So much yes. This is what I love to hear, and one of the reasons why I loved the hardest difficulty for Witcher 3 because it encouraged me to exhaust all these options available to me.

I use almost every weapon and ammo in my weapon reel, it's a necessity and satisfaying.
Most important, it's really easy to use everything.

Also: Tripwire is op.

Could the downsampling from 4k to 1080p on resolution mode be softening things up?

Or do I just not know what I am talking about.

Might be the case. Some games don't have this issue is why I point it out (like For Honor or Deus Ex where it's readily apparent it's a super sampled image).

I wonder if Digital Foundry will cover the performance mode? or they already did and I missed it?

I'll surely check both modes when I get home.

They did a small write-up on it. No actual comparisons and I don't think it hit on this particular issue.

So I am still in the starting area, just doing all the side quests and I have
already gone back to the ruins where kid Aloy finds the device. I cleared the blocked areas with my spear to get caches and the Power Cell for some Ancient Armor that is Level 25. Is that what you're talking about or is there more once I finish the proving?

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to regarding the ruins but for Aloy's home you must go back after the event that allows you to roam outside the embrace.
You won't find special items or anything but there's a cool story interaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom