• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmbotiva

Where are the boar skins on the inventory
Exactly? Can't find them at all and i need to either sell some or drop some for a side mission

Hey guys... I started playing last night. I'm maybe an hour or so in and I'm playing on normal. I think I've done 2 quests. It seems a little easy so far. Does it get more challenging the further I get into the game or do I need to change to hard?

Been on hard throughout the whole game, although there are some parts where I get my butt kicked, the challenge has been perfect. It does get more challenging the further you go into the game though.

aravuus

Infinite fast travel pack GET. Got it from a
merchant right outside Meridian
after my 10th main quest for 50 shards, 1 fox skin and 10 fatty meat.

It takes less than a second...

It's 100% unnecessary, though. Just auto-pick stuff.

I was just running out of chillwater a couple of hours ago, now I've got 119 of it. Dunno what happened lol.

I think Horizon Zero Dawn definitively marks the end to the 'GG can't make a good game' narrative. They knocked it out of the park with this one.

I feel like that narrative ended with killzone 2? And really, killzone 3 and mercenary? Good games at the very least, and great in KZ2's case.

can't wait to play this once I get home from vacay

Ferrio

Banned
Hey guys... I started playing last night. I'm maybe an hour or so in and I'm playing on normal. I think I've done 2 quests. It seems a little easy so far. Does it get more challenging the further I get into the game or do I need to change to hard?

I'm on very hard around where you're at and it's been too easy even though I can't aim worth a shit using analog. Hoping like you the difficulty ramps up.

Been on hard throughout the whole game, although there are some parts where I get my butt kicked, the challenge has been perfect. It does get more challenging the further you go into the game though.

I'm on very hard around where you're at and it's been too easy even though I can't aim worth a shit using analog. Hoping like you the difficulty ramps up.

Ok thanks. I'll up the difficulty and see how it goes.

Juraash

So does a spoiler free trophy list exist for this by chance? I'm enjoying my time so much I may go for the plat. But I also really don't want to be spoiled about plot type stuff.

The Lamp

So outfits to me seem pretty much just cosmetic.

The stats aren't all that, except for like the Stealth/Resistance to Melee one, and the only difference is the amount of mod slots they offer.

Think I'll just pick whichever one I think looks best and go with that.

Mod slots are very important, as many will soon find out. Building your resistances and strengths is important when you get enemies that can take you out on normal difficulty in 1-2 hits

zulux21

Aim assist on or off? Played the opening with it off and found it surprisingly difficult. I don't want easy auto-aim so please tell me that with it on, it isn't too easy.

I didn't even realize it was on.

on games like borderlands it's really obvious, on this game it really is just a little assist.

VanWinkle

Been thinking about this game while at work today. I want to be playing it.

I feel like that narrative ended with killzone 2? And really, killzone 3 and mercenary? Good games at the very least, and great in KZ2's case.

can't wait to play this once I get home from vacay

Bro, you kidding? Did you not see the crazy amount of posts pre-launch for this game saying they're it looks cool but they're worried because it's from Guerrilla games? Even I was worried they wouldn't be able to craft a compelling narrative.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Yea, the game is a technical marvel but what impresses me the most is just how well written it is. Of course I'm not very far into it so there's still a chance the plot will careen off a cliff but so far I'm hooked. I want and NEED to know where this is all going. One of my biggest issues with the Killzone series was just how little I cared for the story (even though it had tons of potential). Props to GG for stepping up in this respect.

I agree with this SO much! I am blown away by the set up and mystery surrounding this world. I can't wait to find out what caused the apocolypse, where these machines came from, the mystery regarding Aloy's mother, etc. So many interesting questions so far.

Early mission spoiler

The scene after the proving where Aloy wakes up inside of the mountain and the Matriarch lady believes it's the All Mother but really just old human technology was done so well imo. When the mountain speaks to Aloy and the Matriarch interprets it like it's some sort of divine being was really cool. Loved that scene a lot.

goonergaz

Did you hit R1 to highlight the tracks? When you follow them you may come to the end of it and need to examine something else to rehighlight and continue following the track.

my impression is that all watchers have a set path - if you highlight them and press R1 the track they follow highlights...then pressing it again deselects...I assume this is because you can only see one track at a time (or it'd be confusing).

This is how it worked in the 'tutorial' and has worked a couple times since...I can only think that not all have a set path but if that's the case why let me select and deselect it's path?

Muzicfreq

Banned
Really like what detail you can see when in photo mode.
33064617821_04430147a7_o.png

Also a test of sorts to see if it really captured the 4k frame or not

antitrop

Bro, you kidding? Did you not see the crazy amount of posts pre-launch for this game saying they're it looks cool but they're worried because it's from Guerrilla games. Even I was worried they wouldn't be able to craft a compelling narrative.

I'm very happy to have been wrong.

R3jkpsL.png

Finally got a chance to play the first hour of this on my 2016 OLED, and I'm pretty sure I said the phrase "Holy shit this is beautiful" at least 27 times.

One of the little things I like about Aloy's animation is how she jumps like a normal person. Arms forward, tucking her knees up then extending as she moves her arms behind her. Nice little animation touch as opposed to some games where jumping looks unnatural.

Stumbling across a Thunderjaw for the first time is a really awe inspiring moment. And actually fighting them is super compelling as well. I've avoided them since but just wanted to see what it took for the first one.

I It's 100% unnecessary, though. Just auto-pick stuff.

I was just running out of chillwater a couple of hours ago, now I've got 119 of it. Dunno what happened lol.

Auto pick might hurt during combat .
There are many times i fighting 5 or 6 robos and killing them with more coming with loot all over the place .

Spasm

Been thinking about this game while at work today. I want to be playing it.

Bro, you kidding? Did you not see the crazy amount of posts pre-launch for this game saying they're it looks cool but they're worried because it's from Guerrilla games? Even I was worried they wouldn't be able to craft a compelling narrative.
I grabbed the CE on a whim today, and this came up with the BB employee. Glad to see that so far, there's no sign of GG's usual ham-fistedness.

my impression is that all watchers have a set path - if you highlight them and press R1 the track they follow highlights...then pressing it again deselects...I assume this is because you can only see one track at a time (or it'd be confusing).

This is how it worked in the 'tutorial' and has worked a couple times since...I can only think that not all have a set path but if that's the case why let me select and deselect it's path?

Sorry I completely misunderstood what you were asking I thought you were talking about tracking a path during a sidequest. It should work as it did in the tutorial.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
ooh how does this work because I am pretty sure I have a fox skin.

AFAIK, (keeping things vague) you need to have a certain level of main story progress, then it will show up in (at least some, if not all) merchants.

But yeah, you need the fox skin to 'trade' to acquire it, which I have not had luck in finding, lol.

You need to consume things for fast travel? Man, I hope there's a quest or something that makes fast travel free.

There is.

Sanctuary

Maybe check your TV's settings for any post-processing like dynamic contrast and stuff... and disable it?

Everything is disabled.

No, I can see what you're getting at. The grass around 20+feet ahead changes from dark to light, dark to light. I myself have not noticed it although I'm sure it must happen in my game (and everybody's game) too. I have no fix though except try to ignore it or don't flick the camera up and down too quickly.

Well, like I said, I exaggerated the motion just so that it would show up better on a capture. If I move the camera reaaaaaaalllly slooooow, it never happens. But, with normal gameplay it's a flicker/strobe show. Also, I was assuming it may just be my TV, but then why is it showing up during recordings?

I noticed it in the second part of the video after someone pointed it out. Are you sure it's not just the game and definitely your display?

I honestly don't know, which is why I asked in the first place. That cannot be intentional though, because it's so distracting. Trust me when I say with HDR on while playing, it's way worse.

Aselith

I feel like I got Ubi'ed in regards to combat. Armor destruction feels very low impact damage wise and the visual impact seems to amount to purple glowy bits for a short time? I dunno, it just hasn't felt too good so far and the Dino's and humans also don't seem to get impacted much by weapons damage.

Feels very bullet spongey rather than strategic the way I hoped armor destruction would.

SomTervo

I really like how they handled the initial exposition dump. Talking to the infant makes it feel much more natural than normal.

I hated this. Hated it. Still felt hamfisted. Would have been way better if he said nothing at all.

You don't need exposition dump.

Other stuff has been done great though.

Everything is disabled.

I have the same effect on my 2016 JS9000. I'll mess with the settings today and see if I can fix it. It's not a deal breaker, but can be a little annoying sometimes.

I feel like I got Ubi'ed in regards to combat. Armor destruction feels very low impact damage wise and the visual impact seems to amount to purple glowy bits for a short time? I dunno, it just hasn't felt too good so far and the Dino's and humans also don't seem to get impacted much by weapons damage.

Feels very bullet spongey rather than strategic the way I hoped armor destruction would.

Idk, I've liked it so far. The arrows sticking helps.

tmac456

finally finished the invasion
of the killers main camp with that bellowback.
so what is everyone focusing on skill-tree wise early on?

i've got another 3pts to use and tempted to use all 3 on concentration + I've got the first rows of Prowler/Brave/Forager + herbalist and scavenger

The Lamp

Cauldrons are amazing. It's like entering a completely different world. They really nailed the contrast

And the best part is, GG designed them the way they are for good reasons. They're not arbitrary.

Everything in this game was carefully thought out. Does this make sense? What will the player think and feel when they reach this?

Mind you, the melee combat is tepid, but maybe they didn't spend a lot of time on it because they wanted to focus on other things, so they simply made it serviceable. Idk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom