• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobs

Lets not let this thread devolve into discussing that cutscene again, its just not worth discussing anymore. We get it, it was bad. Reviews seem to indicate the rest of the game is preeeeetty good.

In completely anecdotal news, two of my friends have traded in their OG PS4's for Pros this week because of Horizon:ZD. Anyone else seeing people do this?

Damn igns review is close to a million views.

Uncharted 4 has 550k.

Impressive, but I think a lot of that has to do with the Uncharted 4 video review coming late since they initially had a review in progress. Having a review up when embargo hits helps the view counts a lot.

Greddleok

Lets not let this thread devolve into discussing that cutscene again, its just not worth discussing anymore. We get it, it was bad. Reviews seem to indicate the rest of the game is preeeeetty good.

In completely anecdotal news, two of my friends have traded in their OG PS4's for Pros this week because of Horizon:ZD. Anyone else seeing people do this?

Not seen people doing it, but with the update that pro will affect all games, I've been seriously considering it.

cheezcake

Tbh I thought the game looked pretty bad on reveal and didn't pay much attention to it after.

Glad I was wrong, keen to play it in a few days

Dabi

I remember GG saying the benefits from collaborating with Kojima will not be realized with Horizon but with future projects.

Gets me even more excited for the sequel.

lumi7890

Reddit is worse lol.

Xw5zs8D.png

Although r/gamingcirclejerk and r/shitredditsays are fine, but they're the exception. And they're mostly focused on mocking reddit.
Oh my god. I saw that post and was just slamming my head against the wall.

woahitsshant

Neo Member
Heh, I was just discussing Days Gone in that thread and remarking how I was dismayed that the people who made Uncharted Golden Abyss are the developers as I *hated* the character writing in that game (I had to use willpower and my principle that I at least go through the story of a game once not to skip cut scenes). And using Horizon as a hope that maybe the writing can be better/new writers as the other recent game I can remember that's writing made me cringe that hard was Killzone Shadowfall and now we hear how good Horizon's writing is. So maybe they'll pull of the same thing GG did. Well it's not like the story was the big appeal for Days Gone (but then neither was it for Horizon. The thing that got me excited for Horizon when I first saw it was bow combat/hunting against big metal dinosaurs and looking quite monster hunterish. A kickass female lead certainly doesn't hurt either ;) ).

And I don't get State of Decay 2 :( (I really can't justify buying an xbox one for one game and it really is the only game I'm sad I'll miss not having an xbox one. Maybe one day when the one is old and not worth much... State of Decay was a good game).

I feel ya man, it's difficult to justify a console purchase for a single game. I'm fighting off the urge to purchase a Nintendo Switch for Breath of the Wild. Do you own a capable PC, I'm certain State of Decay 2 will launch on their as well. But ya, I'm extremely excited for Horizon. From the impressions, it seems the writing has improved significantly from previous GG products (specifically Shadowfall).

RossoneR

Banned
Whats the deal with hate?
I swear i havent seen so much hating on game this generation. Gaming boards and youtube re full of "boring open world, ubisoft junk, spoiling the game.."
Female character? Exclusive? Compared to zelda?

so glad game scored well and i hope it sell great.

Uncharted 4 has 550k.
Not completely surprising, this is a lot newer game than Uncharted which was at it's 4th entry in the series (5th if you count the Vita one) and those games don't have too much variance in terms of gameplay.

Tubie

I love how it has remained at #1 in the Amazon video game best sellers chart since the reviews dropped.

I saw a lot of commercials for it today too.

I really hope it sells well, allowing developers to take some risks and move out of their comfort zone should be rewarded with good sales!

Not completely surprising, this is a lot newer game than Uncharted which was at it's 4th entry in the series (5th if you count the Vita one) and those games don't have too much variance in terms of gameplay.

Also the UC4 review came out later than everyone else's due to looking at multiplayer stability, so that likely sapped a lot of views away.

But yeah the thirst for something new and fresh is real.

This was one of my favorite moments from the extended demo. Also shows that the demo wasn't scripted because the player goes a different route than the stage demo

SeveralAnchoredHumpbackwhale.gif

Guaranteed that I'm gonna die a shit ton in this game due to sheer panic in moments like this.

I hope for another good demo at E3.

Kin5290

This was one of my favorite moments from the extended demo. Also shows that the demo wasn't scripted because the player goes a different route than the stage demo

SeveralAnchoredHumpbackwhale.gif
Man, nothing I've seen of this game looks any good. Give me State of Decay type slow + special zombies over World War Z redux with another white male lead any day.

Gudji

The facial animations may not be Uncharted levels but they are the best I've seen in an open world game. Blows stuff away like Mass Effect/Elder Scrolls/etc.

I keep seeing people saying they're horrible but that's just not true. I mean, there might be a couple of animations that still look off (hope they patch that) but I think they're pretty good overall. Example (might contain some minor spoilers): https://youtu.be/tmFdQB1YJis?t=20m18s

Kin5290

I keep seeing people saying they're horrible but that's just not true. I mean, there might be a couple of animations that still look off (hope they patch that) but I think they're pretty good overall. Example (might contain some minor spoilers): https://youtu.be/tmFdQB1YJis?t=20m18s

Man, that's some pretty solid VA.

What's the SJW stuff about?
Stands for "Social Justice Warrrior". They're talking about how the game dares to have female characters that do things and wear clothes. More than one, even!

I love how it has remained at #1 in the Amazon video game best sellers chart since the reviews dropped.

I saw a lot of commercials for it today too.

I really hope it sells well, allowing developers to take some risks and move out of their comfort zone should be rewarded with good sales!

I've seen so many commercials for it in the last week.

OT but what is Ubisoft doing? I thought they were going to market the hell out of For Honor but I haven't seen a single commercial for it. Did they not think it would stand out with all the f2p stuff?

Wollan

ISee: I suggest you edit your posts true or not. Many feel a bit spoiler-sensitive and fake-spoilers can create a grudge.

Uncharted 4 has 550k.

A lot of it is probably from salty fanboys from the 'other team'. A saw a bunch of them shit-talking about Horizon yesterday on Twitter (focusing on the US Gamer 2.5/5 review, of course) and I tried to engage with them and ask why they hated a game they hadn't even played. Of course I didn't get a clear answer aside from Horizon just being a copy of The Witcher 3 + Enslaved, but we did also get to a bunch of other PS4 exclusives being crap, like Ratchet just being a remake, Until Dawn having a low framerate and just being a movie, Bloodborne being just a Dark Souls copy which is shit compared to Ninja Gaiden (?) and my favourite of all, he didn't like The Last of Us because it promotes homosexuality!

I realise I shouldn't have bothered and I know engaging with devout fanatics is pointless, but I was trying to engage and see why they felt so threatened by this game. All it made me realise is that they are completely incapable of any rational thought, and more specifically that Horizon has rattled an awful lot of cages.

Man, I LOVED Enslaved, what a greatly underrated game that was.

I loved it, but recognised its flaws. The platforming was so automated it felt pointless, and I would have liked room for a little more exploration around this beautiful desolate world. Top game though, with fantastic characters and voice acting.

A lot of it is probably from salty fanboys from the 'other team'. A saw a bunch of them shit-talking about Horizon yesterday on Twitter (focusing on the US Gamer 2.5/5 review, of course) and I tried to engage with them and ask why they hated a game they hadn't even played. Of course I didn't get a clear answer aside from Horizon just being a copy of The Witcher 3 + Enslaved, but we did also get to a bunch of other PS4 exclusives being crap, like Ratchet just being a remake, Until Dawn having a low framerate and just being a movie, Bloodborne being just a Dark Souls copy which is shit compared to Ninja Gaiden (?) and my favourite of all, he didn't like The Last of Us because it promotes homosexuality!

I realise I shouldn't have bothered and I know engaging with devout fanatics is pointless, but I was trying to engage and see why they felt so threatened by this game. All it made me realise is that they are completely incapable of any rational thought, and more specifically that Horizon has rattled an awful lot of cages.
You shouldn't have engaged with those hateful morons man

You know, deep down, they are scared.
And they know it.

It really is a waste of time to engage those rabid fanboys (all camps have them). It's why I keep my gaming-related interactions strictly within NeoGAF. Jason Schreier's truth bomb on Twitter yesterday concerning the XB1 and the PS4 did exactly this. It didn't take long until CrapGamer (ugh, the guy sure lives up to his name) rallied his minions against Jason when what he said could be hardly considered as pandering. Such people are so disgusting.

danowat

Banned
I'm in neither camp, never have been, even going back to the Spectrum vs C64 days, I've generally had more than one platform.

But even I can see that the PS4 has had / is having a better run of things of late, if I just had an XBO, I'd be eyeing up the PS4 lineup with envious eyes, as there isn't a huge amount on the horizon (pun intended) for the XBO that I am particularly interested in (although I still use my XBO daily for Elite : Dangerous).

Anyway, back on topic, can't wait to play HZD, the whole post post apocalypse is a great setting and can't wait to see how the story pans out.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I did it a few weeks ago, figured it was as good a time as any to upgrade with Nioh/Horizon/MassEffect on the way, also the amazing thing is I got only $80 NZD less for my PS4 (which I included Far Cry 4 with) than a brand new Pro, stoked!!

If I just had an XBO, I'd be eyeing up the PS4 lineup with envious eyes, as there isn't a huge amount on the horizon (pun intended) for the XBO that I am particularly interested in (although I still use my XBO daily for Elite : Dangerous.

As a PS4 owner with a crappy PC I have been similarly envious of the XBO for Elite: Dangerous. SO glad it's coming soon!!!

On topic, I preordered a couple of days ago (physical). I already adore the setting and the visuals; can't wait to get my hands on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom