• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole business of "serving crow" to people who said they weren't interested in the game is about as pathetic as throwing a fit over a negative review (which has also appeared several times in this thread).

This is about console wars, right? People usually don't give a shit this much.

A lot of people were all too happy to write this game off based on the developer and their previous games, while ignoring their very clear efforts to address their own weaknesses.

But it's just gentle jibes for the most part. I can't imagine why anyone would be so pissed off by this.

I mentioned that and:
Yes it is true, but they arent as big as say Zelda-dungeons, more like smaller area's. Its not so much filled with puzzles as with enemies and a few environmental puzzles on how to proceed. The dungeons look very different than the rest of the game and thus are cool to do, and they are optional but they do give you some special powers that I won't spoil for you.

Wow many thanks!
I love zelda dungeons and really didn't know this game had similar dungeon locations.
Will be jumping on board once i can afford it.
I presumed this was an action orientated open world game, had no idea there would be dungeons and puzzles.

LuuKyK

c5ghzsxxuaa9t-5s7kim.jpg

Yeah, i have nothing to do lol

lol

After reading several of the 9 and up reviews I was excited, but usgamers 2.5/5 review covered what I wanted to know most about the game and it set my expectations. I'm still excited for the game but maybe I'll hold off until work slows down. Congrats to Gorilla Games though, this game seems to be a good one.

Lmao, Gorilla Games. Thank you for that.

But two reviewers form the consensus for a game ?

*sigh*

I'll say this one last time, and then I'm done explaining myself. First, my impression wasn't based off of two reviews but the conglomeration of a majority of the reviews I read. Story impressions varied vastly from each outlet, some heralded it as the best thing since TW3, others merely found it okay, and others found it severely lacking. Thus, the consensus that the narrative is purely amazing is not true. Second, I trust certain reviewers and sites more than others, Easy Allies and specifically Brandon Jones (a person whose taste in game I actually know) are going to hold more weight to me than whichever IGN person is brought out to review the game. Thus, when Jones says the narrative highs are few in the game and mostly only picks up until the end, I'm going to trust his opinion a little bit more than a person I don't know that simply says, "everything is great."

Third, story/narrative is difficult to critique and most game reviewers are either ill-equipped or don't care much for it in the first place. FFXV was given great review scores while reviewers either said the story was merely okay or barely decent. Now, whether FFXV is a "good" game is beside the point, I'm talking about what I like in a good game or RPG. Thus, when FFXV gets a 9/10 despite having a terrible, incomprehensible story it tells me where the reviewers priorities lied. As a result, as hard as it can be I prefer a more nuanced break down as to why a story was good or bad in a review. The USGamer review was impressionable to me because of this, a nuanced and detailed breakdown of the narrative faults by this specific reviewer. The same goes for Jones' review.

Okay. This is why I typically avoid review threads, too much fanboyism and stakes in the ground over games that aren't even out yet. I'm judging my thoughts based on the reviews I read, which is what reviews are for. My impressions of the game will likely continue to evolve past release. It may actually turn out to be a game I really enjoy after seeming more and hearing more, but at the moment, these reviews didn't not allay my concerns.

After reading several of the 9 and up reviews I was excited, but usgamers 2.5/5 review covered what I wanted to know most about the game and it set my expectations. I'm still excited for the game but maybe I'll hold off until work slows down. Congrats to Gorilla Games though, this game seems to be a good one.

A 5/10 is a barely competent game in the technical side of things touching being a broken game. Objetively at least this game should have a greater than that score only by being superior to the average from a technical point of view.Well, but is a tradition having such divergent scores in big launches, only it seems some reviewers are not ashamed of getting closer to give a game a score of zero for the sake of opinions subjectivity.

SgtCobra

I don't understand, why do people focus on the one outlier review so much and brush off the overwhelming praise?
Because they have certain expectations/concerns about the game itself before reading the reviews, the one(s) who align with those are probably going to be the ones those people will focus on.
It's all about expectations really.

Three potential GOTY candidates (RE7, HZD, and Zelda) being released in a short amount of time from each other. And it's barely the first quarter. What a time is to be alive.

Altairre

I just had a strange thought. Horizon looks to be a very good RPG with super satisfying gameplay, fully realized world, and a great story. That's all the things we want from next Mass Effect.
Now i feel like if Andromeda isn't as liked as the OG ME Trilogy it's maybe because we would've been spoiled by Horizon.
VG24/7 review kinda implies this for all future open world games.

They still are, or rather should be, two very different beasts. I do hope that the story and particularly the sidequests are as satisfying as some reviews indicate but you don't have nearly as much freedom with the dialogue as you have in games like Witcher or (hopefully) Mass Effect.

GHG

Gold Member
This whole business of "serving crow" to people who said they weren't interested in the game is about as pathetic as throwing a fit over a negative review (which has also appeared several times in this thread).

This is about console wars, right? People usually don't give a shit this much.

It's not about the people saying they weren't interested in the game. Even with great reviews, if you're not into this kind of game that's not going to change.

It's the people wishing for the game to fail. That's just... Sad. I'd like to think that at the end of the day everybody here should want games to come out and be great, regardless of platform/genre, because it means the medium is being pushed forward in a positive way and there are more games that can influence and inspire others to make similar great games. But apparently not.

So no, I don't have any sympathy for those being called out on their bullshit.

Wow many thanks!
I love zelda dungeons and really didn't know this game had similar dungeon locations.
Will be jumping on board once i can afford it.
I presumed this was an action orientated open world game, had no idea there would be dungeons and puzzles.

You can't really compare them to Zelda. Don't do that, you will be dissapointed. They are fun extra's.

So, the story is that good, huh?

Good, yes. Some wooden acting and open doors prevent it from being great imo. But the second half def. had me on the edge of my seat!

FATALITY

Banned
I forgot which one but it was in one of the really recent BB threads were one poster was really confident From was not making a second one due to an insider source. I'll link it if I find it.

i call that bullshit. there is no way sony or from will not make another bloodborne
isnt that the most successful ip from From?

Nzyme32 hasn't posted once in this thread and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with anyone in it. People are searching for his post to laugh at it, like he did something wrong. So, uh, yeah, going with GameFAQs-level troglodyte behavior on this one.

If you can't take the piss a little out of a bunch of PC enthusiasts claiming they don't understand the hype for a big PS4 exclusive in a community thread revolving around Steam, what can you take the piss out of?

I wasn't hyped for the game either (although I am interested in purchasing it now at some point due to the superlative reviews), but writing "many are looking forward less to the game itself and more to the platform in question (in this case, the PS4) having another feather in its cap" is just eye-rolling.

QaaQer

Ouch that 50 from usgamer.

Probably cost guerrilla that 90 mc.

Good reviews overall, but missing out on that elite 90+ mc has gotta sting a bit. Hope sales are good so we get a few more $$$$$ single player microtransactionless games...really nice that we get this and Zelda so close together.

To be honest, I don't find the robot combat THAT much better. It's just more interesting because a) Dino robots, duh and b) they have more stuff to throw are you, and you cannot cheat on some of the bigger robots.

It is serviceable though.

They throwing more stuff at you is part of the fun.
The have different attacks and weakness .
You have to set traps or aim for different weak spots all add to the combat loop .

NHale

Read some reviews and my concerns disappeared. So preordering this as soon as the Spend $100 get $15 promotion kicks off tomorrow on the PS Store. Now hoping Mass Effect Andromeda is at least as good and I'm good to go.

Is a 5/10 review considered in the metacritic global score?. It would be strange such a divergent score from the average would be takken into account.

Of course. Why wouldn't? Just because a review seems like a statistical outlier doesn't mean isn't worth as much as the other reviews.

NEO0MJ

How can people still claim agenda and click bait when what many consider to be the most anti PS publication, Polygon, gave it such a high score?!

Striek

This doesn't really challenge my description of it being GameFAQs-level troglodyte behavior. I'm sure it's a lot of fun to engage in fanboyisms like this, and with friends, as in, other people who are also overly invested in a reception of a game. Console wars are an enduring past-time for a reason. It's the same type of activity of being defensive about negative reviews.

The fact this post also contains an accusation of people having "agendas" really says it all.
What exactly is your point? How do you think you are being perceived?
"Overly invested"? You have posted critiques of not only this thread, but the previous review thread on twitter lol.

For the sequel: Please take all the time you need.

This sounds super satisfying in how a complete package it is with all the gameplay elements, content and the story concluding yet leaving just enough for a sequel to tap on.

I don't want to see Horizon 2 before spring 2020.

Spring 2020 really isn't that far away and Guerrilla's second team have to be working on something, so realistically I think Horizon 2 would be more of a 2021/22 game.

I'm really impressed by the review scores, I was expecting good reviews but not quite that good because it's Guerrilla's first attempt at an open world RPG. It really makes all the concern trolling and shitposters over the last however many months look even more ridiculous now. Can't wait till next Wednesday.

FelipeMGM

Is a 5/10 review considered in the metacritic global score?. It would be strange such a divergent score from the average would be takken into account.

well, of course it is. And its from US Gamer, one of the most traditional outlets

the things some of you say when a review is different from others are quite surprising...

Read some reviews and my concerns disappeared. So preordering this as soon as the Spend $100 get $15 promotion kicks off tomorrow on the PS Store. Now hoping Mass Effect Andromeda is at least as good and I'm good to go.

Of course. Why wouldn't? Just because a review seems like a statistical outlier doesn't mean isn't worth as much as the other reviews.

Because would be super easy to push agendas giving zeros all around to make meta scores bad.

ISee

Looking at Sony franchises:

Bloodborne: Dystopian end times setting
The last of us: Post apocalyptic
HZD: Post apocalyptic
Days Gone: End of world setting

Are they trying to tell us something?

Totally not expecting this kind of scores, D1 i guess, grats to Guerrilla :)

You always seem to be off with your ps4 exclusive score predictions. I think you predicted 78 for this game? On the other hand, your Xbox exclusive preditctions are typically too optimistic. Bias never makes for good predictions, lol.

Zafir

Man, this makes me rather sad that I've only got a few days to play it before Zelda. :|

This year so far has been brutal for me trying to finish all these great games.

Skux

There's a reason they remove the highest and lowest scores when judging diving and figure skating. So a consensus can be achieved without the influence of outliers.

Removing an outlier review does not mean it doesn't worth as much as other reviews, it's just acknowledging that it is an outlier and does not represent the consensus.

GHG

Gold Member
Looking at Sony franchises:

Bloodborne: Dystopian end times setting
The last of us: Post apocalyptic
HZD: Post apocalyptic
Days Gone: End of world setting

Are they trying to tell us something?

The age of Trump is truly upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom