• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peroroncino

I thought the reviews would hype me but I just can't get hyped for this game, especially with all those 'iconic' ubisoft activities.

Nevertheless, game has a great reception [shame it's not 90+ sounds like it deserves it] and I wish you guys fun, I think I'll wait on some big price drop.

vivekTO

what a demanding boss!

C5GnLM_XUAAKyaa.jpg:large

Hehe!!

dracula_x

Australia has one with the Mini Artbook and Steelbook.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-con...n-4/horizon-zero-dawn-limited-edition/970547/

I would of thought they release this edition in other countries.

in Europe too, btw.

Since we're on the subject of crow eating, feast your eyes on this discussion about the game in the Steam community thread from a few weeks back (post 11183 onwards).

That post from Nzyme32 is a real eye opener. At least us folks into "that kind of thing" get his/her blessing 😂😅😂.

Yeah, glad to see I'm not the only one seeing it this way. Same old heavily marketed "graphics" show piece, well suited to those easily marketed to, looking for the above and with a casual enough interest in games that this is enough to satiate them. Meanwhile the rest seems to be the usual folks in for the "hype" of a typical graphical focused first party exclusive title satiating their own ego and platform baiting. Always a little bizarre to look at these things from the outside in and see it for what it is. Game looks as meh as most of these sorts. Good for those into that kind of thing.

basically this :)

CeQU9WmVIAAgWFt.jpg

anddo0

Great scores all around, can't wait!
That unnamed site who wanted click bait just went down a few notches in my book; being different, for the sake of being different.

chefbags

Playing nioh right now. Almost done. Next week is horizon zero dawn. And the week after that is nier automata lol.

Well I'm truly fucked in how I spend my time in these games but I'm glad they're almost here haha.

60 positive reviews that all say basically the same thing, but that US Gamer review really resonated with me so I'm going to trust them more.

/s

Someone in the impressions thread.

QUOTE:

"The story is one of the best AAA big budget plots in years. It's detailed, consistent, emotional and very satisfying until the very end. That's important to me because most big budget scifi games have laughable stories when you compare them to good stuff like SOMA. Plus the collectible side materials like diaries and voice logs are also great.:

Aligns up with most reviews, but lets focus on US gamers lol.

Oh, nooo, a positive sci-fi SOMA comparison, I don't want to get my hopes up. Another sci-fi game getting even in the vicinity of SOMA's quality level would be amazing. None of this is helping my hype, damnit.

Spman2099

Witcher 3 is 92% on Ps4,Horizon is a Ps4 game, why are you taking the lowest Xbox One version reviews? Horizon should receive more 10s to reach that score, but i don't think that will happen.

Looking at the past trend that score will mostly go lower than 89%, something along the lines of an 87%. It's an awesome attempt for a first RPG by Guerrilla, but it's not the masterpiece people were talking about.

The guy playing the game saying it doesn't touch The Witcher 3 or any other masterpiece games quality was spot on. It wasn't just ONE review.

This post is ridiculous. How could you possibly know any of that from a metacritic score? Especially when it is being reviewed so favorably... You are being absurd.

Riposte

I don't think it's that serious. It's just some gentle ribbing, like winning an innocent bet against friends.

Nzyme32 hasn't posted once in this thread and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with anyone in it. People are searching for his post to laugh at it, like he did something wrong. So, uh, yeah, going with GameFAQs-level troglodyte behavior on this one.

60 positive reviews that all say basically the same thing, but that US Gamer review really resonated with me so I'm going to trust them more.

/s

lol yep, no agenda detected there.

Nzyme32 hasn't posted once in this thread and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with anyone in it. People are searching for his post to laugh at it, like he did something wrong. So, uh, yeah, going with GameFAQs-level troglodyte behavior on this one.

Nah it really isn't that serious, I mean giving someone a good old fashion hard time is pretty common, even among friends, lighten up.

ISee

And I'm still on Yakuza 0 and then Zelda before this. Hopefully none of them would be crowded out sales wise.

And I haven't even started ff15. Nobody got time to play all of this. But yeah you're right, yakuza 0 and zelda also count.

Is a 5/10 review considered in the metacritic global score?. It would be strange such a divergent score from the average would be takken into account.

bennibop

Or I made the comment specifically because I knew this. One writer does not make a well written game. Any dumb COD game where they get some big Hollywood screenwriter could tell you that.

Two reviews. And, the collective impressions of the rest.

To be honest you are not coming across well in your posts, I believe you need to leave your bedroom and leave through the front door of your parents house and get a life. You seem to want to keep quoting one persons review as if it was gospel (the US gamer reviewer is an unknown by the way) and completely disregard better known reviewers opinions

LuuKyK

So gamekult complaints are mainly about story/narration...

Its really weird.

I havent read all reviews yet but the ones I did read/watch (GiantBomb, IGN, Kinda Funny, Ars Technica) were all praise for the story. In fact the guys of Kinda Funny thought it was so good the imagine only TLOU2 could possibly surpass it (something along those lines).

It's fair game when you make a public post such as that one. -shrugs-

This whole business of "serving crow" to people who said they weren't interested in the game is about as pathetic as throwing a fit over a negative review (which has also appeared several times in this thread).

This is about console wars, right? People usually don't give a shit this much.

No the crow is being serve to people who think the game would review badly .
Next up is sales.
There was thread asking what the biggest flops of 2017 would be and HZD was up there.

Scrawnton

After reading several of the 9 and up reviews I was excited, but usgamers 2.5/5 review covered what I wanted to know most about the game and it set my expectations. I'm still excited for the game but maybe I'll hold off until work slows down. Congrats to Geurrilla Games though, this game seems to be a good one.

SomTervo

Yeah i was talking about open world games. I havent played Wildlands yet, but will try the BETA. To me looks kinda like the Division which i thought was good till endgame stuff.

I've almost finished The Division and I honestly had way more fun with Wildlands. Wildlands isn't an RPG or a loot-based action game. Wildlands is a proper tactical shooter. Enemies go down quickly, you go down quickly, it's all about positioning, strategy and stealth. Really good shit.

vaderise

I just had a strange thought. Horizon looks to be a very good RPG with super satisfying gameplay, fully realized world, and a great story. That's all the things we want from next Mass Effect.
Now i feel like if Andromeda isn't as liked as the OG ME Trilogy it's maybe because we would've been spoiled by Horizon.
VG24/7 review kinda implies this for all future open world games.

After reading several of the 9 and up reviews I was excited, but usgamers 2.5/5 review covered what I wanted to know most about the game and it set my expectations. I'm still excited for the game but maybe I'll hold off until work slows down. Congrats to Gorilla Games though, this game seems to be a good one.

I don't understand, why do people focus on the one outlier review so much and brush off the overwhelming praise?

The robos combat is the star of the game.
As some reviews said you don't have to fight to many humans .
Also this is more a TPS and with traps than a melee base game.

To be honest, I don't find the robot combat THAT much better. It's just more interesting because a) Dino robots, duh and b) they have more stuff to throw are you, and you cannot cheat on some of the bigger robots.

It is serviceable though.

Rurunaki

I know, I just meant that they never said there'd be a sequel either. Although I suppose it depends on whether there was truth to the rumor that SonyJapan/FromSoft had signed a 3 game deal.

Thing is. Miyazaki has breathing room when it comes to BB sequel. It's not gonna be an annualized series. Playstation pretty much spreads its exclusive releases. We still have God of War to look forward to for example as well as Spiderman. Not to mention that Miyazaki might make another game for Playstation before the BB sequel, but it doesn't mean that a sequel to pretty much PS4's most popular game will not happen.

FelipeMGM

Its really weird.

I havent read all reviews yet but the ones I did read/watch (GiantBomb, IGN, Kinda Funny, Ars Technica) were all praise for the story. In fact the guys of Kinda Funny thought it was so good the imagine only TLOU2 could possibly surpass it (something along those lines).

in this generation when it comes to PS first party software. Colin said is the second best story ever from a PS fp studio after The Last Of Us

Arklite

Reading Eurogamer's tepid review it seems GG still stumbled a bit on story elements and cutscene composition as in past work, but also nailed the gameplay and blew the doors off visuals. Congrats to Guerrilla, always been a fan of their work.

vivekTO

I just had a strange thought. Horizon looks to be a very good RPG with super satisfying gameplay, fully realized world, and a great story. That's all the things we want from next Mass Effect.
Now i feel like if Andromeda isn't as liked as the OG ME Trilogy it's maybe because we would've been spoiled by Horizon.
VG24/7 review kinda implies this for all future open world games.

ME:A is not a Open world Game though!!

Riposte

lol yep, no agenda detected there.

Nah it really isn't that serious, I mean giving someone a good old fashion hard time is pretty common, even among friends, lighten up.

This doesn't really challenge my description of it being GameFAQs-level troglodyte behavior. I'm sure it's a lot of fun to engage in fanboyisms like this, and with friends, as in, other people who are also overly invested in a reception of a game. Console wars are an enduring past-time for a reason. It's the same type of activity of being defensive about negative reviews.

The fact this post also contains an accusation of people having "agendas" really says it all.

Rizzi

Then why are you saying combat is bad, when reviews mention it as the games strong point?

I said it doesn't look very good and gave my explanation of why I think this. Melee combat looks mashy and boring, and human enemies literally look brain dead. I get the whole "Oh it's a third person shooter" thing but having one enemy type be completely oblivious and a combat system being boring is kind of a negative. Don't be so quick to jump down people's throats for having an opinion.

MavFan619

Banned
I thought the reviews would hype me but I just can't get hyped for this game, especially with all those 'iconic' ubisoft activities.

Nevertheless, game has a great reception [shame it's not 90+ sounds like it deserves it] and I wish you guys fun, I think I'll wait on some big price drop.
What iconic Ubisoft activities? I'm genuinely curious the core gameplay, and world seem very different from Ubisoft from everything I've read and seen.

Skux

3. Some of the shade thrown towards this game has veered into the ridiculous territory. Not saying caution for how a game will turn out to be is a bad thing (it's actually how I approach almost all games), but some of the 'concern' has been insincere and clearly exacerbated because of the games ps4 exclusivity. I got the impression that some of these people wanted the game to fail.
These reviews must be painful for them, lol, and I am a bit embarassed to admit that I will be reveling in their dismay.

I'm not embarrassed at all. If people weren't convinced by the E3 2015 reveal, there was the E3 2016 gameplay trailer, and if that wasn't enough, there was the big gameplay blowout this month, there was the huge impressions thread, and now there's the review thread.

All signs pointed to this game being something special. And yet detractors continued to insist the game would disappoint, resorting to increasingly absurd nitpicking ranging from "Aloy talks too much" to "The voice acting in that one cutscene sucked" to "Her fingers are too long" and "Tallnecks = Ubisoft game", and stupid shit like "The diversity in this game is pointless when the lead is white" (completely ignoring that she is also female). And even now, people are criticising the gameplay and graphics, the most obviously strongest parts of the game!?

Nah. Let them sulk in whatever salt bath they've found themselves in. I'm going to enjoy the shit out of this game.

This doesn't really challenge my description of it being GameFAQs-level troglodyte behavior. I'm sure it's a lot of fun to engage in fanboyisms like this, and with friends, as in other people overly invested in a reception of a game. Console wars are an enduring past-time for a reason.

The fact this post also contains an accusation of people having "agendas" really says it all.

People do have agendas...it's human nature, that should not chock anyone, it is clear when someone does and calling it out is justified. It is a review thread, people get invested into games,, it's a passion, why is this hard to understand?

I said it doesn't look very good and gave my explanation of why I think this. Melee combat looks mashy and boring, and human enemies literally look brain dead. I get the whole "Oh it's a third person shooter" thing but having one enemy type be completely oblivious and a combat system being boring is kind of a negative. Don't be so quick to jump down people's throats for having an opinion.

People who have played the game disagree, you cannot judge combat by watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom