• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised by a lot of the "surprised" and "didn't know it'd be this well received" posts. I felt like all the signs were obviously there.

Even if it was because of "Guerrilla's track record", which isn't really bad at all, every showing of the game was phenomenal, they added a ton of talent to the studio, previews were pretty exceptional...

I'm going to listen to you more often when you talk about how a game is received internally.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think its like 40 GBP shipped from amazon uk within EU with a steelbook as a bonus. Not steelbook edition .if you want physical and want pegi rating and not garbage USK.

Edit: sorry for double post.

that doesnt really anwser my question tho :p

Im not looking for the cheapest place to buy it, Im just wondering if its 70 or 60 because I have some PSN credit left.

Basically exactly what I expected, shoot even better and I was very high since the reveal. Have been hoping it lives up to my lofty expectations, and it seems like it's even surpassed them!

I'll be ripping through this to finish before Switch is out, thinking I'll enjoy every minute of it ;-)

In the review thread never caring about reviews. legit.

As in they don't influence my decision to buy a game.

I like to read people's impressions but I'll play the game even if they gave it a 1.

Mafia 3 reviewed poorly. I beat it twice. Love it! If I cared about reviews, I would've missed out on it.

SomTervo

Talking about this , I bet you didn't even know. You seems to be serious,My bad.

b1c01e9d_o.png

16749707_o.png

... Do you take screens of every post you read on gaf?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
- Enters thread
- Super surprised at reviews - "looks like I'll be picking this up" I say aloud
- Reads further in thread to see people obsessing over where game ends up in the pantheon of Metacritic and whether Zelda would do better
- Shakes head
- Closes browser

-opens browser back up to post. Haha sometimes it's just hard to stay away

Is it not possible that they reviewer that the USGamer reviewer actually didn't like the game? I mean if you look at all the "good" scores, they range from 100 to 80. Thats a pretty large gap that isn't consistent either. It seems universal that the game plays well, looks great, and has good combat. What isn't universal is the story, characters, and quest structure/design. Those are usually big factors for enjoying open world games. If someone has issues with those, it can ruin a game.

Yeah, it's possible and I never disputed that they didn't like the game. If someone has a range of grades and they're firmly nestled between 100 and 80's with a 50 thrown in the there, the 50 would be the outlier, which is what I said. I didn't question the legitimacy of the review or the integrity of the reviewer, I just hope that they are consistent with their grading of other rpgs. My point still stands that there are games that are well reviewed based on name alone, which was the main point of my post.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Toukiden 2 already out here, and from what I've heard.....sounds not good

The vita port was rough, but i've been keeping up with the reception, i haven't heard much concern in terms of the PS4 version, its more of the original game but expanded. What have you heard?

Blastoise

Banned
Please don't use the Mordor name. That game was so highly praised by journalists, but it ended up being such a dud (for me).

But reading reviews for HZD, this game has something very special going for it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I heard it's open world. I don't really like that. Pretty sure I won't like this game either.

They've added in quite a few combat mechanics and design decisions i am digging, but if open world isn't your thing, it can't be helped

The comparison to zelda is cause for some stupid reason these games come out three days next to each other and they are both open world. I paid extra to get this game early just so I can enjoy it fully before zelda. It's a shame many people will have to make a choice that week when everyone who loves these kinds of games should be playing both.

As for what will be better, it's what you want from games. Zelda will be zelda but with physics gameplay and a world with incredible gameplay systems that frankly has never been all put together into a game world that size. What zelda offers horizon does not have.

What horizon does have is giant fucking awesome robots that are like roaming boss battles all over the place. The insane emergent battles that I have been a part of are thrilling and makes me just want to spend hours doing nothing but hunting. The battles are special and I don't think zelda will beat that part of this game. Also the story and art design is great as well. So those aspects horizon has, zelda will probably be better in most other regards. Both will be great. Real gamers play both.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That's expected given they're games in similar genres releasing within a few days of each other from two first party publishers.

then its sad that its expected :p

You mean digital or physical?

It is 60€ in the Netherlands for a physical copy.

arent digital prices the same?

Wow great scores. My head and neck snapped back a bit and eyes widened when I saw Giant Bomb 5/5.

It's not even that Giant Bomb gave it a 5/5. I remember Dan Ryckert giving Stardew Valley a well-deserved 5/5 last year. It's that Jeff Gerstmann himself gave it a 5/5 that made me take notice. One of the advantages of listening to someone who is highly critical and difficult to impress is that you immediately take notice when they start gushing over a game. It's what happened with Doom and Hitman last year for me. They weren't even on my radar until Giant Bomb started talking about how amazing they were.

MisterR

true, it's just a good game. That's all.
However, i always had the feeling that the game is rushed as hell.
And that the cutscenes are horrible at the top.
But i think that the gfx is what this game makes it.

It's a must buy for ps4 owners anyway.

How embarrassing for you to write garbage like this.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
The vita port was rough, but i've been keeping up with the reception, i haven't heard much concern in terms of the PS4 version, its more of the original game but expanded. What have you heard?
They said its Open World is worst ever seen, boring
Sounds like a 6~7, they also said it's worse than Toukiden 1

I think this must be the highest reviewed AAA game I've ever encountered in my whole life that I have no desire to play.

fake edit: I said that after browsing OP scores, now that I see metacritic of 88... there are probably some 90 or 91 games that I don't want to play. From scores in OP I estimated it to be a 93 or so.

Prompto

Banned
The comparison to zelda is cause for some stupid reason these games come out three days next to each other and they are both open world. I paid extra to get this game early just so I can enjoy it fully before zelda. It's a shame many people will have to make a choice that week when everyone who loves these kinds of games should be playing both.

As for what will be better, it's what you want from games. Zelda will be zelda but with physics gameplay and a world with incredible gameplay systems that frankly has never been all put together into a game world that size. What zelda offers horizon does not have.

What horizon does have is giant fucking awesome robots that are like roaming boss battles all over the place. The insane emergent battles that I have been a part of are thrilling and makes me just want to spend hours doing nothing but hunting. The battles are special and I don't think zelda will beat that part of this game. Also the story and art design is great as well. So those aspects horizon has, zelda will probably be better in most other regards. Both will be great. Real gamers play both.
Well said

DAHGAMING

Realy glad this is getting good reviews, cant wait to play but will probably be later in the year due to back log. This year looks so good for games already.

Coxy100

Banned
I think this must be the highest reviewed AAA game I've ever encountered in my whole life that I have no desire to play.

fake edit: I said that after browsing OP scores, now that I see metacritic of 88... there are probably some 90 or 91 games that I don't want to play. From scores in OP I estimated it to be a 93 or so.

yeah pretty weird how metacritic can work. The scores across the board read like a 90.

Will we ever get 90's again this gen?

I'm so glad you came here to tell us this man, I can now sleep tonight.

Loudninja

Thanks so its Horizon:Shadow of the Colossus :p

No really this all sounds good.

Lifeline

Zelda has the more traditional open world game combat that we've come to expect, with some cool environmental effects. Horizon seems to have a combat system from a dedicated action game.

firelogic

Pretty fantastic looking breakdown so far.

68 Reviews

Score - Number of Reviews
100 - 5
98 - 2
97 - 1
96 - 1
95 - 9
93 - 2
92 - 3
90 - 23
88 - 3
87 - 2
85 - 4
80 - 9
75 - 1
70 - 2
50 - 1

46/68 are 90% and above.
18/68 are 80%-88%
4/68 are 75% and below.

As someone who loves boss battles, which really enhanced Shadow of the Colossus and Bloodborne for me, this sounds fucking great.

heringer

The only thing that worries me in this game is that in every video I watch it looks like Alloy's attacks (even explosive ones) barely take away 2~5% of the enemy's health. I really hate bullet sponges in games.

phanphare

Banned
great scores. these would have surprised me before the impressions thread but I expected the game to do this well once it was out in the wild and people started talking about how it was.

jim sterling with that high praise....whew

Glomby

Holy fuck I just looked at this thread and these scores are crazy. I was already hyped for this game but god damn.

This was supposed to be the game to really make the PS4 pro purchase feel like the right thing and I guess I have absolutely nothing to fear.

Peroroncino

They said its Open World is worst ever seen, boring
Sounds like a 6~7, they also said it's worse than Toukiden 1

Sounds pretty bad... fuck, I liked Toukiden 1 and definitely wanted a sequel but this doesn't sound too optimistic. :/

btw. with all the Zelda/Witcher comparisons I have to wonder which game's gonna come out on top metacritic wise, gotta say, I'm a bit curious.

Denzar

Wow great scores. My head and neck snapped back a bit and eyes widened when I saw Giant Bomb 5/5.

It's a well written review but I get the feeling that the the score doesn't reflect what was written? The review mentioned numerous niggles but scored the game a 5/5. With all due respect to Jeff. He's probably one of the only game journalists who's opinion I still respect due to his integrity. Have yet to see the quick look.

Glad to see this game is reviewing well!

Daft_Cat

then its sad that its expected :p

See, to me, this post is less productive than the multitude of gamers who find both games compelling, but find the side-by-side release dates frustrating. Why shouldn't comparisons be expected in light of that? A lot of gamers probably want both. And unless you foster some sort of political brand-loyalty for one property or the other, I don't understand why you'd find it sad or off-putting that others are comparing two similar, high quality offerings that - for whatever reason - are releasing mere days apart! It's just a matter of which one they buy first. Hence the discussion. It's not like either is getting thrown under the bus! If anything, it's a sign of a creatively healthy industry. Too much choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom