• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be bizzare, but the reviews (and hopefully my impressions of the game next week) get me more excited for the potential of the inevitable sequel. Will be fascinating to see what design choices etc they make from here on out.

I'm surprised by a lot of the "surprised" and "didn't know it'd be this well received" posts. I felt like all the signs were obviously there.

Even if it was because of "Guerrilla's track record", which isn't really bad at all, every showing of the game was phenomenal, they added a ton of talent to the studio, previews were pretty exceptional...

At least people bought it.

RIP Gravity Rush2/Kat

To be honest, Studio Japan made the mistake of focusing on filling it up with content instead of first expanding the gameplay sufficiently to justify so much content. Thus although positive, most reviews could be summed up as "Gravity Rush, but prettier, bigger, and with some small changes". This probably made a lot of people who played GRR and weren't rabid fans to wait out for a price drop, especially with such a crowded early 2017.

true, it's just a good game. That's all.
However, i always had the feeling that the game is rushed as hell.
And that the cutscenes are horrible at the top.
But i think that the gfx is what this game makes it.

It's a must buy for ps4 owners anyway.

This is a sad, sad post.

Horizon is at 88 MC which is amazing in its own right. Zelda reviews abnormally well though. There's a reason it's considered by many to be the best game series in history. With the amount of backlash they get you'd think they get mediocre scores but they're all stellar.

3d Zelda metacritic scores:

OOT - 99
MM - 95
WW - 96
TP - 95
SS - 93

I find the scores of the last 3 very questionable.theyre great games but ww doesnt deserve to sit above mm, tp doesnt deserve a 9.5 avg just for that opening alone, and in a fair world ss would have 10 points less than that.

The game took 6 years to make. That's not what I'd call a rush job. People have also praised the fluidity of the gameplay so again, you're selling it short here.

And how on earth is 88 "just a good game". You sound like you're trying to hardest to dismiss the great work that's been done here. Stay salty though.

I'm surprised by a lot of the "surprised" and "didn't know it'd be this well received" posts. I felt like all the signs were obviously there.

Even if it was because of "Guerrilla's track record", which isn't really bad at all, every showing of the game was phenomenal, they added a ton of talent to the studio, previews were pretty exceptional...

I don't get it either, the first time this game was shown it has impressed, and everytime after, and always had strong word of mouth from people who had hands on time with it.

SgtCobra

People comparing this game to Zelda BoTW is just as stupid to me as people comparing Gears of War to Uncharted.

But whatever, muh exclusivesszzz.

Loudninja

No bad showings or anything like that as well.

Lifeline

skimmed a couple pages, review thread isn't that bad. Not enough controversy, but there's some good crow eating. Solid 7/10. Can't for the sequel.
The Zelda review thread

Cartho

I think it's fine to be curious what reviewers think, but the number of people seeming to determine their own opinions by reviews (or summarily dismissing for X often false reason despite reviews) is humorous.

My opinion of games and the popular opinion of reviewers have at times been so wildly divergent as to be shocking. I'm looking forward to Horizon, but I'd be lying if I said all the perfect/near perfect score games in the past have been favorites of mine. In fact, I personally think games likes MGS4, Halo 3, and GTA4 are turds. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Meanwhile, the critically slammed Alien Isolation was my favorite game of 2014.

Again, I love everything about what I've seen of Horizon, so I look forward to playing it. I'll hold off on rendering my own opinion before that time though thx

I'm in a similar boat - I often don't trust reviews. I mean Eurogamer gave Wolfenstein TNO a 6/10 when, for me, it was one of the best single player FPS campaigns I've played since Half Life 2.

I also tend to get skeptical with outlier reviews - if 67 different places all give the game great scores but one or two random larger sites give it a low score / don't recommend it, part of me thinks "ok, opinions and all that" but another part of me thinks "that probably generated them alot of clicks."

I know it's wrong to question sites' integrity like that but I can't shake the nagging feeling that it happens.

Big congrats to GG though. New IPs can be very rough, and if this had tanked then it would have been sad for the industry as a whole as more publishers would think "no way are we taking the risk". Seems like GG have got a new franchise on their hands, and am absolutely stunning graphics engine into the bargain.

Oh and there's no point talking about Zelda. They're excellent games which always review very well. BOTW I can bet will get into the 90+ metacritic bracket. Complaints about it being "another open world with radio towers" which get applied to other games will be mysteriously forgotten when it comes to BOTW.

I find the scores of the last 3 very questionable.theyre great games but ww doesnt deserve to sit above mm, tp doesnt deserve a 9.5 avg just for that opening alone, and in a fair world ss would have 10 points less than that.

I agree, but unfortunately that's just the way it is. BotW will have to be legitimately mediocre or bad to get a lower score than Horizon.

Trying too hard, dude. I'm sure the Zelda avatar is just a coincidence though!

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Horizon is getting great reviews but it's an 88 metacritic, you're talking like it's a 95 or something.

I think BotW will be around the 90 mark on metacritic personally.

Horizon has one poor review and it's an outlier. That respective score isn't in line with the rest of nearly every other review that has been published thus far. It seems corrupt that certain games in this market review well because of either name and to a much lesser degree, because of the companies behind them. I don't think the Metal Gear Solids, Grand Theft Autos and Zeldas of the world deserve a free pass because they're icons in this genre but it often happens that some games in franchises are inaccurately appraised. There's no way GTA4 was a 10/10 imo.

vivekTO

I bet you thought that was clever.

Talking about this , I bet you didn't even know. You seems to be serious,My bad.

b1c01e9d_o.png

16749707_o.png

Catdaddy

Didn't know the review embargo was up this early... I guess I see why...

So - Pre-ordered this morning... Sony strikes again, holy shit...

Horizon is at 88 MC which is amazing in its own right. Zelda reviews abnormally well though. There's a reason it's considered by many to be the best game series in history. With the amount of backlash they get you'd think they get mediocre scores but they're all stellar.

OOT - 99
MM - 95
WW - 96
TP - 95
SS - 93

Nintendo games are reviewed by Nintendo fans most of the time so I take them with a grain of salt.

Floody

I think a lot of people just wrote it of because it Guerrilla and didn't follow any of the talk. Anyone who followed it even somewhat closely shouldn't be, It's had pretty nothing but praise since it was announced.

KZObsessed

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better. Sad!

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

i think it actually has less to do with their track record and more to do with the 'sense' that ubisoft type open world tropes essentially make a bad game because of how many there have been

Plum

No bad showings or anything like that as well.

I hate to bring it up but NMS never really had any bad showings before release either. People can be skeptical, whether justified or not, and really one of the main points of reviews is to justify/debunk said skepticism. I was skeptical about the game too, doesn't change my opinion of it now that it's reviewed so highly.

R3TRODYCE

Talking about this , I bet you didn't even know. You seems to be serious,My bad.

[IMhttp://i.share.pho.to/b1c01e9d_o.png[/IMG]
[IMhttp://i.share.pho.to/16749707_o.png[/IMG]
Blame Apple...Well it's not their fault but blame them anyway because it just feels right.

Lifeline

Horizon is getting great reviews but it's an 88 metacritic, you're talking like it's a 95 or something.

I think BotW will be around the 90 mark on metacritic personally.

88 is a bad average now? Reviewers have been using the scale a lot more this gen than last gen. 88 is probably like the top 1% of AAA games this gen.

orochi91

OOT - 99
MM - 95
WW - 96
TP - 95
SS - 93
Yea, LoZ is an evergreen franchise.

I simply can't imagine a mainline 3D Zelda game ever scoring below 90 on MC.

It's practically a universal law.

prwxv3

i think it actually has less to do with their track record and more to do with the 'sense' that ubisoft type open world tropes essentially make a bad game because of how many there have been

I always thought that was dumb. They put a huge emphasis on combat.

I hate to bring it up but NMS never really had any bad showings before release either. People can be skeptical, whether justified or not, and really one of the main points of reviews is to justify/debunk said skepticism. I was skeptical about the game too, doesn't change my opinion of it now that it's reviewed so highly.

People were confused as to what the gameplay loop and what you even did in NMS, hard to see the relevance.

KevinG

Everything about it screamed "OOOOH SHINY," but I though it would lack the depth of a genuinely good game. Sure, I also accounted for Guerrilla's track record, but I absolutely despised Shadowfall.

I am very happy to have been wrong about Horizon. Excited for Guerrilla and their future with this caliber of a game under their belt.

Fangdangle

Neo Member
Ahhh damn, I predicted 90(+) but more than happy at 88. Horizon was always a must buy for me, from the first reveal you could tell it was going to be special. Congratulations to GG and Sony for another new ip that looks amazing.

Kiro

This game was GAF's (Second?) most anticipated game of 2016, and GG knew about it (twitter).

They knew they couldn't let down the family.

Alienous

After Shadow Fall really anything was possible.

A game like that, following Killzone 2 & 3, would have shaken my faith in any developer. Not least one attempting a massive game in an unfamiliar genre.

I'm just glad it seems to have been a launch title thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom