• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Melchiah

What We Become looks good. Doesn't look like it's been picked up for North American release though? Hopefully that happens soon.

Yeah, it definitely deserves to be released globally. It might take a while, based on how it's been here before with the movies presented at the film festival. Some movies have reached the mainstream distribution channels few months after the festival, some took half a year, and some were never made available outside of the festival. I imagine this one won't be one of the latter though.

zeemumu

Did you guys know that the Soska sisters (American Mary and T in "ABC's of Death 2") have a horror game show now called Hellevator?

lordxar

Sweet! I decided to do Netflix by disc again and now I should have both Black Sabbath and Black Sunday in time for the long weekend. One was on Netflix instant before October but I didn't know it was worth watching so I passed on it. Of course I find out its supposed to be good later...

Vanish

alright, which should I get to watching first if I want to watch the scariest, most tense film? Sinister, Mama or Goodnight Mommy?

Also, have any of you watched Dead End? Great, little known horror film. Any others like it?

Melchiah

Also, have any of you watched Dead End? Great, little known horror film. Any others like it?

Dead End is a good and underrated horror movie, with some nice twisted humor. The Pool, which I mentioned earlier, was a bit similar in that regard.

Vanish

Dead End is a good and underrated horror movie, with some nice twisted humor. The Pool, which I mentioned earlier, was a bit similar in that regard.

ok cool, I'll see if I can get my hands on The Pool somehow.

Just out of those three? Mama, I guess.
Goodnight Mommy is my favorite of the bunch but it's more psychological horror.

Alright I'll try Mama. Those 3 are just ones I've been meaning to watch for a while.

Melchiah

I'll be watching this intriguing film, that's broadcasted on the Finnish TV tonight.

150dA3tl.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2326554/
In the Iranian ghost-town Bad City, a place that reeks of death and loneliness, the townspeople are unaware they are being stalked by a lonesome vampire.

Melchiah

This sounds amazing. Definitely on my watch list.

Here's more info about it.

http://www.nightvisions.info/wp/en/portfolio/the-pool-a-k-a-de-poel/
”It’s rare to see a director’s debut film look so consistently high in quality” – Ard Vijn / Twitch Film

”Finely tuned masterclass in mounting tension” – Scott Clark / Cinehouse

”Two recently laid-off bankers take their families camping in a prohibited part of a forest. Although the area is surrounded with fences the campers knowingly trespass to set up camp near a pond. The vacation swiftly turns to terror when it becomes clear that something hides in the pond’s murky waters, an ancient and mysterious power which spreads a madness they cannot escape.
Inside the pond nests the supernatural creature Jenny Green Teeth who sees a prospective soulmate in teenage camper Jan. However, Jan is hopelessly in love with fellow camper Emily and is torn between her and the underwater beast, whose cruel games drive the campers to the edge of sanity and turns them against each other.
»The Pool« is the latest and worthy contribution to a renaissance of the Dutch tradition of horror films called “Netherhorror”, that was popularized by Dick Maas in 1984 with the Dutch horror classic The Lift.” – Stockholm International Film Festival

I put a part of it under spoiler tags, if you want to go in blind like I generally do.

vityaz

I just watched Dark was the night, and I was pleasantly surprised by it. I love the setting and premise, small town vs monster in the woods. What did annoy me a little bit was the extreme color grading they went with, and
a pretty weak creature design
. But otherwise pretty good for such a movie!

Maiden Woods is a remote and quiet town of decent hard-working people, but something stirs in the dark woods surrounding this isolated community. After a logging company decimates an area of the forest, a rash of increasingly violent and unexplainable events transpires. Sheriff Paul Shields (Kevin Durand) and his deputy (Lukas Haas) struggle to confront their own personal demons while facing down a new breed of raw terror that is possibly older than humanity itself… And much, much hungrier.

Remakes are exceptional movies. They survive budget cuts, they survive total bastardization. They bear all the sins of the earth. They give themselves up. They transcend themselves... they are transfigured.

In all honesty, there was very little chance they wouldn't fuck it up. A US remake of Let The Right One In wound up being really fucking great because it was easy to redo it, provided they had budget and talent. A US remake of Martyrs? Even if they recaptured what made the original great (as Let Me In showed, possible for a modern remake to do), it'd basically get super-limited release even in DVD stores, let alone theaters, and probably limit the cast's future opportunities by association

The trailer looks bad, but it doesn't sting. Since I heard it was being remade, I knew it'd be fucked up. At least now it's an obvious fuckup instead of one that still tricks you into thinking maybe you were wrong

Downhome

I found and won this at auction for less than $100. I thought I had completely missed out on it, so this was crazy luck. It's too bad it doesn't have Robert Englund's signature, but maybe I can resolve that one day.

8TyLG2j.jpg

g1Jyr4I.jpg

It's a great book, I bought mine actually from Robert Englund's table at a local con and he singed it for me. He's such a sweet person, talked up the book, opening it to his favorite parts and showing me. He signed it on several pages and drew a freddy sketch in it for me.

inm8num2

‘Halloween’ Shocker! Dimension Films Loses Horror Property after 20 Years

The curse of Michael Myers strikes again! While Halloween fans were pumped to hear of a new movie installment coming in 2016, those hopes have been officially dashed. It’s been a few months since we heard anything of Halloween Returns from Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, and it looks like there was a good reason for that: Dimension Films lost the rights to Halloween, which means MGM is now shopping around to find the property a new home.

The news was first reported by Bloody Disgusting and followed up by a report from The Wrap, but perhaps worst of all is that Dunstan and Melton are no longer involved. The pair co-wrote the script with Dunstan helming the picture, and production was supposed to begin in July. Obviously, that didn’t happen. According to The Wrap, MGM wanted a clean break from Dimension and their vision for Michael Myers. However, Malek Akkad, a mainstay of the Halloween franchise, will still produce the next installment wherever the property lands.

julrik

Any potentially good horror movies coming this year? The only ones on my radar so far are The Conjuring 2, The Witch and the danish zombie movie, which name escapes me.

lordxar

There's a Blob remake coming, another Purge, Rings, and one or two others, oh 31 from Rob Zombie but he's hit or miss. That's about all I've looked ahead though and ymmv on those. I'm surprised at Rings. Seems like a Ring sequel should have happened a lot sooner though part 2 withered a lot of people I think. I'm surprised by the Blob the most. There's already two versions and that doesn't seem like it screams for a third.

SaintZ

Sadako Vs Kayako is coming...

sadako-vs-kayako-poster.jpg

Back in April a fan-made mash-up of the Ju-On/Grudge and Ring franchises went viral online. It may have been intended as just a joke, but development wheels turn quickly in Japan, and respective studios Kadokawa and NBC Universal Japan leapt on the opportunity to get Sadako Vs. Kayako in motion. And to prove it's realy real, here's the first teaser trailer. Scroll down for a poster too.

Sadako and Kayako are, of course, the chalk-faced revenants that haunt the Grudge and Ring films. Sadako (from Ring) was murdered and thrown down a well, only to start killing people via haunted videotapes thirty years later. Kayako (from Ju-On/Grudge) was also murdered at a young age and remains angry abaout it, but her modus operandi is to crawl around ceilings and rattle at people. Quite how the pair are going to face off against each other remains to be seen, but it's a fascinating prospect. Will we be rooting for one over the other?

Kōji Shiraishi is the director, with Mizuki Yamamoto (Ghost Hunt) playing our heroine Yūri, caught between two ghouls. Sadako Vs. Kayako is out in Japan in June next year.
Teaser

I just can't even. Like... what?
Team Sadako tbh.

lordxar

The Veil is up on Netflix and it's pretty good actually for a direct to disc flick. Worth for Thomas Jane's performance as a cult leader alone.

CREMSteve

Watched GirlHouse today. Surprisingly good slasher flick! I especially enjoyed how the killer gets scarier as the movie goes on, a nice change from the standard horror trope where the baddie gets revealed and instantly becomes less scary. Pretty well done.

Top Bottom