• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How is Threads of Fate?

It's not very good. Mint's quest was funny, but the dungeons/platforming were really, really bad. It doesn't even approximate the quality of the worst Zelda game.

It's worth 10-15 Bucks for sure but just for the experience. Or to have for the Chrono Cross, Legend Of Mana, Saga Frontier 2, Threads of Fate Squaresoft collection.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Although if you've already played BFM, play it again. And if you can snag Threads for like $5, play through Mint's quest if you can. I couldn't even bother with the other person's quest.

u_neek

^ That's why I thought of buying it..

I'm a huge Squaresoft fan but somehow never got to play this game..

The event scenes, the animation, and the dialogue in Mint's quest are some of the best I've seen - tons of laughs - but the game is pretty bland. The collision detection also isn't very good, and there are several sections with small platforms that exacerbate the problem. Luckily it's pretty easy, so you can pretty much just mash through it to see the next cutscene (and in this game, for the current going price, it's worth it).

Alex

I liked it, but at the same time I admit it's completely average, and that I enjoy it because:

A.) It's part of a vastly under supported genre I love (ARPG).

B.) That ToF is one of the very, very small handful of games out there where I really loved the narrative/characters and would play through it simply for that. Short and charming.

Basicly, it's the ARPG equivelent of Earthbound, to my tastes.

I would've been pissed had I dropped 40-50 bucks on it, but for 10-15, it's ok stuff.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Spazbiohaz said:
It's worth 10-15 Bucks for sure but just for the experience. Or to have for the Chrono Cross, Legend Of Mana, Saga Frontier 2, Threads of Fate Squaresoft collection.

Speaking of SaGa, what the hell is up with the Frontiers? I've played and loved the gameboy ones, I like Unlimited, and from the few hours I put into the Romancing SaGas didn't really irk me at all.
But I don't know if they cut out every other line of dialogue or what from the Frontiers. I have no idea what's going on, and the difficulty just bounces around from too easy to way too fucking hard. Right now I'm trying to beat the boss in Emilia's section, but it kicks my ass ferociously, and I can't go back to level up or buy new armor. I'm thinking about restarting it once I beat Symphonia, but I get the feeling something with horribly wrong in SaGa's PSX days.

Fun, light, sweet, short game. Rue's quest is actually fairly dark and is the quest I found more enjoyable, but Mint's is pretty funny.

Of course, I only had to give a brief review for mine, no money, but I did have fun with it.

WarPig

Yeh. Cute, harmless, charming, and no way worth more than a very low price. I liked it more than I should have when I played it back in 2000, I think.

Calling it better than Ocarina of Time was one of the all-time Daily Radar moments.

DFS.

Crispy

RevenantKioku said:
Speaking of SaGa, what the hell is up with the Frontiers? I've played and loved the gameboy ones, I like Unlimited, and from the few hours I put into the Romancing SaGas didn't really irk me at all.
But I don't know if they cut out every other line of dialogue or what from the Frontiers. I have no idea what's going on, and the difficulty just bounces around from too easy to way too fucking hard. Right now I'm trying to beat the boss in Emilia's section, but it kicks my ass ferociously, and I can't go back to level up or buy new armor. I'm thinking about restarting it once I beat Symphonia, but I get the feeling something with horribly wrong in SaGa's PSX days.

I bought the strategy guide for Saga frontier, something I normally never ever do, but you really need it to get to grips with this game. Once you start to know where to go next and what to do, the game gets really enjoyable IMO.

firex

I hated it, but I only played the demo that came with Vagrant Story. It just felt really dumb, and one of the quests (I don't know which one) struck me as having its gameplay gimmick nothing less than a cheap copy of Majora's Mask with the transformations and all. I know it wasn't a literal copy of Majora's Mask, but it struck me as almost shamelessly ripping off the idea.

I would say it ripped off Brave Fencer Musashi, but that game was boring as hell and I played through about 2/3 of it doing nothing but button-mashing, even if the power copying wasn't so bad.

I really liked SaGa Frontier at first, but it is totally unbalanced and gets way too repetetive. I loved the freedom in creating characters, and I made the most awesome Lute who knew swords and light magic could create holy swords and unleash power moves in battle with them. It had the best magic spells in any RPG I have ever played, plus the 5 man combos were awesome (I was only able to pull them off against Red's final boss).

The stories are rather stilted and some of the characters are not fun. I hated Rikki and Asellus. T-160G and Red ruled and I was amused that Lute let you fight the final boss from the beginning and instead just focused on buildup. I just hated doing the same quests for magic over and over again.

Top Bottom