• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispy75

I think it´s because shipping costs is an estimate.

When are we expecting new cards?

nVidia's Pascal cards are leaking already. Official launch in June.

ATI's Polaris should appear around the same time.

In this first round, expect to get current top-end performance at a mid-range price.

GlamFM

Banned
nVidia's Pascal cards are leaking already. Official launch in June.

ATI's Polaris should appear around the same time.

In this first round, expect to get current top-end performance at a mid-range price.

Ace. I just ordered a VIVE for myself after trying it for the first time at the office yesterday.

It should ship in June - great, because i don´t even have a PC yet.

I have to get into that PC building stuff now - and it seems like I should wait for the Pascal cards.

Durante

Friend of mine got his today. Just played Budget Cuts.

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
I can't wait for the full Budget Cuts game.

As a fan of Arcade gameplay you should really try Holopoint. It gives me that Arcade feeling of wanting to 1CC it, except that I can't try more than a few times due to a lacking stamina stat :p

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just got a partial refund from digital river (~20€ or so). I'm not sure why (my order arrived 2 business days after it was sent) but I'll take it.

I got it too. Because it was economy delivery instead of express. It was written in the DHL tracking like that. Express would have made it reach us in 1 day.

kenmid

Anybody else having problems logging on to HTC site, I try using my order numer and un and Pw? It just says un: or odder is wrong.

Krejlooc

Banned
A person on reddit who worked on Goldeneye Source hit me up and has converted the goldeneye level geometry for me:

CD4YYt6.png

Kysen

Just got this text

The current scheduled delivery is Thu Apr 28 2016 before End of Day.

Fuck yea! HTC shipping mine early.

bj00rn_

Banned
It arrived when I was travelling abroad (of course..), but today I came home to this beautiful sight:

:D

Anyway, so, I got a call from Chad in Africa earlier this morning.. I rejected the call because I have no reason to expect a call from Africa (thought it was a scammer).. But it turns out HTC has their support call center there (they wondered why they wasn't able to deliver the Vive), lol.

Tadie

My Vive arrived minutes ago at my office.

Express delivery with DHL went pretty good.

1 day from Prague (CZ) to Cologne (Germany).

It arrived when I was travelling abroad (of course..), but today I came home to this beautiful sight:

Anyway, so, I got a call from Chad in Africa earlier this morning.. I rejected the call because I have no reason to expect a call from Africa (thought it was a scammer).. But it turns out HTC has their support call center there (they wondered why they wasn't able to deliver the Vive), lol.

Fuck having VR if that's your view. Jesus Christ!

jaaz

Why do you need VR when that's your view every day? Wow.

Tain

I can't wait for the full Budget Cuts game.

As a fan of Arcade gameplay you should really try Holopoint. It gives me that Arcade feeling of wanting to 1CC it, except that I can't try more than a few times due to a lacking stamina stat :p

I'm excited to and have the game but we ran out of time, unfortunately. Lots of games to try. I'll be going back Saturday!

kaskade

Can you do that once it is in transit? I would really love to change the shipping adress to my work adress if possible.

I don't think officially without paying. My FedEx guy delivers to my work and home so sometimes he'll ask if I want my package at work since he usually stops there first.

Just got my vive. I am curious if there exists a recommended list of games/experience. Elite dangerous simply refuse to run in steamVR and CTD.....

Got my Vive on Monday.

Quick and dirty impressions: I had a DK2, which I used for years, and the thing that immediately hit me was how much better the resolution and optics were. I could barely make out text and details in the DK, but on the Vive, the image is so much clearer. Yes, you can see the pixels if you look, but the SDE fades away once things get going.

The Vive setup tutorial was hilarious, and the fact you can see your lighthouses and controllers in the space really make you feel like you're in the holodeck.

I tried Tilt Brush first, and the ability to draw in a 3d space is absurdly great. The precision is kinda unbelievable and a testament to the accuracy of the wands. This app really sold me on the VR applications beyond gaming: designing buildings, studying for exams (memory palaces), etc. I hope they had the ability to import pictures taken with the Google VR Camera App.

I played Job Simulator, and while it is full of charm, it's not very game-y. They handhold you the whole way through, leaving little to discover beyond Easter eggs and variations on a given task. I will definitely keep playing, but I hope they add more.

Beyond that, SteamVR looks really nice, and I love the snappiness of the UI.

Scanning the store, there are so many more games to check out... I'm going to be broke-r real soon.

Oh, and my space is 3m X 1.9m. Not bad for a NYC apartment.

wonderpug

Neo Member
Just got my vive. I am curious if there exists a recommended list of games/experience. Elite dangerous simply refuse to run in steamVR and CTD.....

I'm getting my Rift today, and here are the currently Vive-only things I'm most jealous of:
  1. The Lab
  2. Budget Cuts demo (and eventually the game)
  3. Tilt Brush
  4. Space Pirate Trainer
  5. TheBlu
  6. Audioshield
  7. Hover Junkers
  8. Job Simulator
  9. Fantastic Contraption
  10. Final Approach
  11. Star Wars: Trials on Tatooine (whenever it arrives)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I can't get this damn thing comfortable. Tried reading the various guides, most of which say either 'oh you have to get that cradle round your headbone on the back of your head', or 'oh you have to make sure you aren't trying to get the cradle round your headbone, that won't work'

I can't pull it down that far without the side straps digging into my ears. And wherever I put the rear strap, the top strap always seems a little loose, so the headset digs into my cheekbones. I have the cable slack to give room for the top strap to be adjusted..
I end up with a headache at the back of my head. Will continue random adjustments.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm getting my Rift today, and here are the currently Vive-only things I'm most jealous of:
  1. The Lab
  2. Budget Cuts demo (and eventually the game)
  3. Tilt Brush
  4. Space Pirate Trainer
  5. TheBlu
  6. Audioshield
  7. Hover Junkers
  8. Job Simulator
  9. Fantastic Contraption
  10. Final Approach
  11. Star Wars: Trials on Tatooine (whenever it arrives)

I wonder why TheBlu isn't on the Rift as well. It doesn't use the motion controllers and barely uses roomscale, so there is no tech barrier. Maybe they have some sort of HTC/Valve exclusivity deal... but I'm pretty sure there haven't been any of those. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to porting it to the Oculus SDK.

Despite having my Vive since Monday (and loving it), the money has now officially come out of my bank account.

I have been using it for several hours each day and still have a lot to try. I will finally try Budget Cuts today. I have been putting it off until I see most of everything else since I expect it to be one of my favorites based on everything I have seen and read.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
also, anyone notice a grey haze in dark scenes? Noticed it before, but particularly today when trying Apollo 11. There are scenes where you are in complete darkness around the moon for quite a while, and it just doesn't look dark - it looks like a noisy grey background a short distance from your eyes. When the sun comes round the background looks black probably from contrast to the bight area.

It is quite distracting and I hope it can either be improved or devs can work around it. Also helped me notice what looks like a third stuck subpixel on my left eye - all look to be green. Will probably try and contact HTC about it.

Crispy75

also, anyone notice a grey haze in dark scenes? Noticed it before, but particularly today when trying Apollo 11. There are scenes where you are in complete darkness around the moon for quite a while, and it just doesn't look dark - it looks like a noisy grey background a short distance from your eyes. When the sun comes round the background looks black probably from contrast to the bight area.

It is quite distracting and I hope it can either be improved or devs can work around it. Also helped me notice what looks like a third stuck subpixel on my left eye - all look to be green. Will probably try and contact HTC about it.

The output range is restricted to less than 100% and more than 0% so that this technique can be used to correct for smear: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1082

bj00rn_

Banned
Why do you need VR when that's your view every day? Wow.

Fuck having VR if that's your view. Jesus Christ!

Haha, I'm more of an indoor person myself, but my first thought on scrolling down that picture was "Yep that's a great view... Oh, there's a Vive box there. I guess that's nice too."

Hehe. Yes it's a beautiful day, and the scenery here is great. And it was for that very reason I just couldn't help myself from setting up for some sort of tongue-in-cheek "ironic VR picture".

artsi

I can't get this damn thing comfortable. Tried reading the various guides, most of which say either 'oh you have to get that cradle round your headbone on the back of your head', or 'oh you have to make sure you aren't trying to get the cradle round your headbone, that won't work'

I can't pull it down that far without the side straps digging into my ears. And wherever I put the rear strap, the top strap always seems a little loose, so the headset digs into my cheekbones. I have the cable slack to give room for the top strap to be adjusted..
I end up with a headache at the back of my head. Will continue random adjustments.

Yeah, unfortunately it's just not that comfortable, and people doing stuff like the welder mask mods are telling that.

I can use it for hours, sure, but it's not a nice experience comfort-wise. And my face is also sweating like a pig with even short Audioshield / Holopoint sessions, the foam is soaked and ugh... don't want to use it after that for a while.

Then there's also the ribbon cord that's always twisting when I turn around, and it's frustrating to "unwind" it all the time.

VR is great but these things just have a long way to go to beat the comfort of playing a game on my screen.

Mihos

Gold Member
I wasn't prepared for my wife falling in love with the Vive.... she never plays anything more intense than Bejewelled usually.

I came home yesterday to find she had invited over 3 of her friends and they were screwing around with The Lab.... I may have to get her, her own if I ever want any time with this thing :(

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I wasn't prepared for my wife falling in love with the Vive.... she never plays anything more intense than Bejewelled usually.

I came home yesterday to find she had invited over 3 of her friends and they were screwing around with The Lab.... I may have to get her, her own if I ever want any time with this thing :(

The interface barrier of the controller and trying to navigate in a 3D space on a television is completely removed with the Vive. The market for gaming has expanded immensely.

GlamFM

Banned

Yep, girls here at work go crazy for the lab dog.

D6jeSzo.jpg

wonderpug

Neo Member
I wonder why TheBlu isn't on the Rift as well. It doesn't use the motion controllers and barely uses roomscale, so there is no tech barrier. Maybe they have some sort of HTC/Valve exclusivity deal... but I'm pretty sure there haven't been any of those. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to porting it to the Oculus SDK.

I've heard mixed reports on whether or not it works. I think the main issue is that the menus are controller-driven and currently only bound to Vive wands. You can launch the game on a Rift but you can't navigate to anything.

I'm going to give it a try tonight anyhow, since the whale encounter is the VR thing my wife is most excited to try by far. I've heard some say I can launch that encounter directly from an .exe or something and have it work on the Rift.

viveks86

Have you played all 3 of them? Both the second and the third use motion controls. The abyss actually needs it. And roomscale extends up to 3m x 3m too

Yeah, unfortunately it's just not that comfortable, and people doing stuff like the welder mask mods are telling that.

I can use it for hours, sure, but it's not a nice experience comfort-wise. And my face is also sweating like a pig with even short Audioshield / Holopoint sessions, the foam is soaked and ugh... don't want to use it after that for a while.

Then there's also the ribbon cord that's always twisting when I turn around, and it's frustrating to "unwind" it all the time.

VR is great but these things just have a long way to go to beat the comfort of playing a game on my screen.

Yeah, my only complaint at all is the comfort. Everything else is excellent.

Luckily, the straps are user replaceable, so I hope aftermarket solutions surface.

jotun?

Are the lighthouse power cables really only 2.5m long? That seems really short for something that they recommend putting 2m+ above the floor

Nzyme32

Fuck the Vive. That view is gorgeous. Where is that?

Jams775

Are the lighthouse power cables really only 2.5m long? That seems really short for something that they recommend putting 2m+ above the floor

Well I don't know about every house, but most homes I know of in the U.S. usually have the plugs like 3 feet (~1m) off of the floor already. I have one lighthouse directly above a plug about 7 feet from the ground and I ended up having to wrap up the cable quite a bit so it didn't hang.

SimplexPL

From what I know, in Europe the plugs are close to ground level, 10-20 cm above it.
What kind of power cable is best to extend the cable of the base station?

You can run the whale demo on oculus rift (I tried it on DK2 with SDK 1.3). There is a special .exe for that in the folder - 'encounter.exe' if I remember correctly.

Damn, nice view.

Really enjoying it after day 2 but the biggest annoyance is still slight bluriness that I can't get rid of without crushing the mask to my face.

Oh and Holopoint is totally rad.

Oh and I still cannot see my desktop in SteamVR. Totally black screen :(

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

so i was reading this and thought of your and others comments and figured you'd be interested in this thread. i guess the difference depends on the shape of your face.
but he's saying its much more comfortable clearer and increases FOV

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gnega/massive_vive_comfort_and_fov_increase/

Zalusithix

Well I don't know about every house, but most homes I know of in the U.S. usually have the plugs like 3 feet (~1m) off of the floor already. I have one lighthouse directly above a plug about 7 feet from the ground and I ended up having to wrap up the cable quite a bit so it didn't hang.

Where are you located? I've never seen plugs standardized to 3 feet off the ground anywhere in NY. A foot to a foot and a half tops for the regular rooms. The only typical exceptions are where there's counters such as kitchens in which case they're above the counter. Anything else is quite atypical.

BrettWeir

I'm reading on Reddit that people with April 4th orders (May estimate delivery date) are starting to have the pre-auth done on their cards. How in the world does queue work with orders? I ordered before that (still May estimate) and with PayPal so they already have my cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom