• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i was reading this and thought of your and others comments and figured you'd be interested in this thread. i guess the difference depends on the shape of your face.
but he's saying its much more comfortable clearer and increases FOV

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gnega/massive_vive_comfort_and_fov_increase/

Just tried it.
Works brilliantly!
More comfortable, better weight distribution and better FOV.
He's right about needing some extra nose pads though.

Exuro

I'm reading on Reddit that people with April 4th orders (May estimate delivery date) are starting to have the pre-auth done on their cards. How in the world does queue work with orders? I ordered before that (still May estimate) and with PayPal so they already have my cash.
Well I think those emails are just for people that weren't preauthorized, so no need to send it to paypalers since you guys already are.

I'm gonna be sad/disappointed if this thing doesn't get in this week. It's been the 11th day since my preauthorization charge.

Schryver

GAF, convince me to go through with my order. I really want to try the current games but am not sure how long they will last me and how much stuff is coming in the next year+. Are we thinking the next big hardware update will be in 18 months or longer? How much will change at that time? Just the display or will I need all new controllers too? Why am I so indecisive?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
GAF, convince me to go through with my order. I really want to try the current games but am not sure how long they will last me and how much stuff is coming in the next year+. Are we thinking the next big hardware update will be in 18 months or longer? How much will change at that time? Just the display or will I need all new controllers too? Why am I so indecisive?

It is awesome, providing you go in with realistic expectations and not hoping for 4K resolution etc. It is still an early tech. If you're into tech or games then I think you'll get plenty out of it to last you the 18-24 months until the next ones come out.

Lots of outside observers say the current gams are just tech demos, but what is interesting is just how arresting they are. Space pirate trainer looks as basic as it gets - you just shoot some dumb aliens right? But in VR it is a truly visceral experience that can't really be properly explained until you try it.

Waiting isn't a bad thing, but for me at least I know I'm going to enjoy the discovery of what works well and what works less well, as the technology evolves around us.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is the Vive even worth it for someone who more or less has around the minimal space?

I'm at the bare minimum and it's totally usable standing and walking around slightly.

The only thing I can't play is Holoball, because it's basically raquetball and it needs a pretty large play area.

Everything else works great...

So in Audioshield, do the balls sometimes pause and slow before speeding up again?

Sometimes (often times at the beginning before the song has a constant beat) the balls seem to be pause and slow. I'm used to rhythm games where the speed of the track is constant (Guitar Hero) regardless of the music. I'd expect the frequency of the balls to change, but not the speed

I can't tell if the game is lagging (it crashes and always has a performance alert on the desktop when I finish) or it's supposed to be that way. Hard to explain/capture...

And is there any way to easier search for music? I have a playlist on SoundCloud, but do I really have to search for them one by one each time I want to play them? Thanks

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So in Audioshield, do the balls sometimes pause and slow before speeding up again?

Sometimes (often times at the beginning before the song has a constant beat) the balls seem to be pause and slow. I'm used to rhythm games where the speed of the track is constant (Guitar Hero) regardless of the music. I'd expect the frequency of the balls to change, but not the speed

I can't tell if the game is lagging (it crashes and always has a performance alert on the desktop when I finish) or it's supposed to be that way. Hard to explain/capture...

And is there any way to easier search for music? I have a playlist on SoundCloud, but do I really have to search for them one by one each time I want to play them? Thanks

I have the exact same problem. I'm pretty sure the balls are slowing down and speeding up in very minute ways constantly because of the way the song processes them.

I think it also might be some reprojection mixed in with the way the balls behave, making them look a bit jumpier. I noticed the ball in Holoball sometimes seemed to jump very slightly when it was going really fast.

I have the exact same problem. I'm pretty sure the balls are slowing down and speeding up in very minute ways constantly because of the way the song processes them.

I think it also might be some reprojection mixed in with the way the balls behave, making them look a bit jumpier. I noticed the ball in Holoball sometimes seemed to jump very slightly when it was going really fast.
It's very annoying if intentional

You can't plan out body movements, because you never know if there might be a pause between the orbs. But I'm not getting "missing frame" notifications during actual gameplay, just menus

Durante

Yep, girls here at work go crazy for the lab dog.

D6jeSzo.jpg
I can confirm girls go crazy for the lab dog. And women. And men too.

Monger

I had the same question at first but the speed of the balls changes with the music. After you play a bit more you'll notice where it matches up. I think the placement of the balls changes based on the speed as well. There are patterns that wouldn't be possible in full speed but are cool when it's slow.

Durante

Yeah, ball speeds seem to vary throughout songs based on how "fast" the game considers a given part of the song to be.

By the way, I'm really disappointed that no one except for me seems to have played the opening themes for either Serial Experiments Lain or .hack//SIGN yet. This is not the VR community I signed up for!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I had the same question at first but the speed of the balls changes with the music. After you play a bit more you'll notice where it matches up. I think the placement of the balls changes based on the speed as well. There are patterns that wouldn't be possible in full speed but are cool when it's slow.

They should really tweak the curve on the speeding and slowing so it interpolates a bit smoother. As it stands now it looks kinda buggy.

Schryver

How did you guys contact HTC after your payment didn't go through? Of course the live chat isn't working so...I just have to send them an email?

edit: Nevermind. Think I resubmitted it on the findmyorder website

jotun?

My rationalization is that my wife will spend $1000 on a damn camera lens, and this is way cooler than that

Tain

Audioshield needs a manual pattern editor and player mode. It's a solid game right now but that (and some presumably dope community-made patterns) would put it over the top for me.

SimplexPL

I also had a feeling that the speed of the balls changes.

Is the Vive even worth it for someone who more or less has around the minimal space?

You will feel constricted and will basically see the chaperone borders all the time, boxing you in. It should still be super fun, but the vive really shines with bigger space, like 4x4 meters.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Damn now that they have charged my card I can't stop checking my email/order status/statement.

My VR room is ready. Let's do this Vive.

Just got the authorization email! So whats the consensus for the best thing for setting up the lighthouses without drilling them in? Last I checked ViveGAF was recommending this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CRDD6Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

with:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E5M39AW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Also anyone have the covers for the headset, the one that you can remove so you keep the sweat off the headset itself? Anyone have a recommendation for a good one? Thanks

That's still the best way to set up the lighthouse unless you have a popcorn ceiling. Just make sure you DON'T use 3M command strips or some variant.

VR Covers seems to be the best pre-made solution right now, though there are a few tutorials on the Vive reddit for how to make your own or convert a sleep mask into a cover.

Damn now that they have charged my card I can't stop checking my email/order status/statement.

My VR room is ready. Let's do this Vive.

If you're not one to be patient then I would suggest you try and forget until you get a tracking number. The most bitter of people during this launch have been those who think "Pending Fulfillment" meant it would ship right away and couldn't stop checking.

Onemic

That's still the best way to set up the lighthouse unless you have a popcorn ceiling. Just make sure you DON'T use 3M command strips or some variant.

VR Covers seems to be the best pre-made solution right now, though there are a few tutorials on the Vive reddit for how to make your own or convert a sleep mask into a cover.

If you're not one to be patient then I would suggest you try and forget until you get a tracking number. The most bitter of people during this launch have been those who think "Pending Fulfillment" meant it would ship right away and couldn't stop checking.

....I have a popcorn ceiling and ordered those....Did I just waste a purchase?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures

I would be refreshing my order page over and over, but I'm on a business trip this week; if it hasn't updated by Saturday I'll be salty though.

jotun?

Thanks, that's very helpful. Do this kind of cables have a standardize name? Like if I went to a local electric store, what should I ask for? 20AWG male to female extension?

AWG is the wire thickness rating, basically just means how much current it can handle.

I would ask for a DC male-to-female barrel plug extension cable, plug size 2.1mm x 5.5mm (the inner and outer dimensions of the plug)

Arulan

So, how big is everyone's VR space?

roomovrwonkhm.png

I have a corner desk which reduces my play area to 3.3 x 2.4 m, but I still have most of that space in total chaperone area. I move my chair and side table into a corner during room-scale use.

Durante

The largest rectangular area I can get is 2.8x3.4m. I'm cheating slightly with that, since in one corner about 20 cm of that is obstructed up to a height of ~1m (and a width of ~1m as well), but I don't want to deal with 20 cm less space in the (already shorter) 2.8m direction just because of that.

viveks86

2.9 x 2.6 m. I could cheat and get it up to 3 x 3, but I'd rather not have to worry about which side of the room I'm up against while playing. I have a wall on one side and a TV on the other. Seems to be adequate for everything I've played so far. Yet to try unseen diplomacy, which I'm probably gonna have trouble with.

Exuro

http://abload.de/img/roomovrwonkhm.png[IMG]

I have a corner desk which reduces my play area to 3.3 x 2.4 m, but I still have most of that space in total chaperone area. I move my chair and side table into a corner during room-scale use.[/QUOTE]I have around 15x13 feet of space with my living room opened up. I might make it a little smaller since one side has the tv.

jotun?

roomovrwonkhm.png

Currently 3.8m x 2.8m if I don't move any furniture. I could move a couch a little bit to extend the 3.8m, but I can't do anything about the 2.8 without drastic changes to our PC desk setup

where do you get that app? I'm trying to figure out where I'll need to mount the lighthouse boxes, and that looks like it would be helpful

Arulan

where do you get that app? I'm trying to figure out where I'll need to mount the lighthouse boxes, and that looks like it would be helpful

It's part of SteamVR. When it's open, right-click to settings, and under the developer tab there is an option for Room Overview.

Plumpman

I don't want to burst anyones bubble, but I'm still in the "charged the 17th, no shipment yet" boat. Once you are charged, seems to take 2 days - 2 weeks or so.

Excited though we are almost in May already, everyone will have theirs soon. :)

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Apparently they dropped mine off without requiring a signature, lol. Will see if it's still there when I get home.

Edit: Yup, here we go

Exuro

I don't want to burst anyones bubble, but I'm still in the "charged the 17th, no shipment yet" boat. Once you are charged, seems to take 2 days - 2 weeks or so.

Excited though we are almost in May already, everyone will have theirs soon. :)
Same boat. Trying to use the Vive support chat right now to see if I can get any info out of them, but I'm still stuck in the queue.

edit: talked with a rep. He forwarded the issue to a team and had me fill in some info. No idea if there's an actual issue or if this is standard procedure when customer support doesn't know how to answer the question.

also found this kind of strange

Thanks for the response. Is there any option that is slightly more portable? Might try and bring this to a friend's house at some point.

cakefoo

Thanks, that's very helpful. Do this kind of cables have a standardize name? Like if I went to a local electric store, what should I ask for? 20AWG male to female extension?
All the relevant info would be:
Jack type: Male 2.1mm Plug to Female 2.1mm
Power type: DC
Cable thickness: 20AWG

jotun?

When you set up the chaperone boundaries, are there any limits to how complex you can make the space? Limited number of points, only right angles, anything like that?

It seems like it would be a good idea to deliberately include some irregularities that just act as landmarks so that when you approach a boundary you can tell exactly where you are in the actual room.

Also can you set boundaries of different heights? Like to indicate that you're approaching a couch where the space above it is open, as opposed to a wall

Durante

Chaperone is currently entirely 2D, so no heights. I don't know about limits to the geometrical complexity of the boundaries, I haven't tested that -- the only thing I know is that it supports at least 10 points :p

wonderpug

Neo Member
When you set up the chaperone boundaries, are there any limits to how complex you can make the space? Limited number of points, only right angles, anything like that?

It seems like it would be a good idea to deliberately include some irregularities that just act as landmarks so that when you approach a boundary you can tell exactly where you are in the actual room.

Also can you set boundaries of different heights? Like to indicate that you're approaching a couch where the space above it is open, as opposed to a wall

No matter how intricate you get at drawing out your space, Chaperone is just going to draw the largest rectangle it can in the space you've drawn and use that for the border walls. I'm pretty sure there is currently no way to draw out obstacles of alternate heights. You're just drawing a 4-walled space.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Isn't the advanced mode just marking corners, though? It was when I did it.

You're right.

Do you mean the function where you can have info from the front camera patch in, or is there something else? I haven't yet read about anyone drawing in something like a couch for their Chaperone walls.

No, it was just my reading comprehension at this late hour. Sorry for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom