• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
HoloBall is pretty fun however I'm worried I'm going to smash my controller into the wall swinging that thing as hard as I can, would love to have a bigger space with this one.

You can get away with compact swings producing just as much velocity it seems. But it does feel good to just rip it. Definitely in my top five. Also it does make you sore as it's pretty much racket all if your space is big enough. But even with the soreness it's damn fun.

artsi

Project Cars has horrible graphics when I play it in VR mode, LOD / draw distance and well.. everything is apparently forced to low and it can't be adjusted. Is this a problem with the Revive injector or did they just do that to keep performance good?

Knch

Holo ball has the most broken controllers and injuries than any other game (more than ZERO)

So hm. Might be worth not buying that game. Maybe.

It's the game they put the straps on the controllers for!
(I presume, because I sure wasn't sweating so much a controller slipped out of my hand and hit the floor...)

Durante

Water Bears is so good. It is super polished and a lot of fun. I thought the videos of it were pretty "meh" before I played it. It is a game I got for free a few weeks ago for some reason (i dont remember why it was free) and I'm finally getting around to it. It is a really solid game and very relaxing.
I completely agree, more people should give it a try. I'd immediately buy a DLC level pack if they released one.

Can we get a refund on the Vive after its been delivered? Anyone know?

Products may be returned within 14 days of the date the Product was shipped to you and must be returned with the applicable proof of purchase. Cancellation and return rights do not apply to custom orders that have been personalized or modified specially for you, including products that have been built to order. If a Product has been damaged, repaired or is missing parts, it may not be accepted for return and refund. You will be responsible for the cost of returning the product to us.

http://store.digitalriver.com/store...Locale=en_US&SiteID=htcus&ThemeID=40324200#q1

T.O.P

Banned
Audoshield with the Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack

article_c12a17e3-eb1c-47cc-8672-b9a110d281b0.gif

Lemonte

Holoball made me throw controller pretty hard to the floor. It split open just a little around the cup holder part but I was able to put it back together. Luckily it still works perfectly. Controller is quite slippery when you swing full force.

SimplexPL

What PC did you buy?

I ended up with this thing because I just don´t want to build anything by myself.

http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W1D20EA&opt=ABD&sel=DTP

Specs look good, but maybe consider switching to a faster memory (2800 or 3000Mhz) - supposedly it does wonders for minimum framerate, which I especially crucial in VR - especially since the price difference should be no more than 20-30 euros

Audoshield with the Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack

article_c12a17e3-eb1c-47cc-8672-b9a110d281b0.gif

Do you recommend specific tracks? I tried the ones by M.O.O.N. but found it surprisingly hard to get into the "flow".

Demoing for the first time this weekend. Should be interesting. I guess we will go through my library. Everyone says theblu is great but I found the GearVR version of oceanrift even with shitty graphics was a bit cooler.

GlamFM

Banned
Specs look good, but maybe consider switching to a faster memory (2800 or 3000Mhz) - supposedly it does wonders for minimum framerate, which I especially crucial in VR - especially since the price difference should be no more than 20-30 euros

Do you recommend specific tracks? I tried the ones by M.O.O.N. but found it surprisingly hard to get into the "flow".

I know shit about building PCs.... Is it possible that the motherboard wont support faster RAM?

SimplexPL

From the spec sheet:
"chipset Intel Z170"

So it almost certainly supports faster RAM. Maybe ask HP how much would it cost to get a faster memory?

With a prebuilt PC I'm not sure if you can swap the sticks yourself without voiding the warranty.

Holoball made me throw controller pretty hard to the floor. It split open just a little around the cup holder part but I was able to put it back together. Luckily it still works perfectly. Controller is quite slippery when you swing full force.

But it's so cool...you don't want to miss it!

lol the amount of people throwing controllers is baffling. I am presuming a far amount of people playing this havent played much racketsports? Of course now since Ive said this i am going to throw my controller into a monitor/tv probably. Maybe next versions of these controllers will have jackets like the wii controllers ended up happening.

God damn DHL. The can move a package 2000km in a few hours, but the last 20 is some sort of enigma to them. Waiting for customer support to get back to me after I have gotten two confirmations earlier that they were to deliver today.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
lol the amount of people throwing controllers is baffling. I am presuming a far amount of people playing this havent played much racketsports? Of course now since Ive said this i am going to throw my controller into a monitor/tv probably. Maybe next versions of these controllers will have jackets like the wii controllers ended up happening.

The bigger problem for me (and others I've read about) is hitting a wall full-force with your controller. When you're playing racketball, you're moving around way too fast to pay attention to the chaperone.

This game is seriously dangerous.

Hari Seldon

I tried cancelling my order after I got that original pre-order authorization email a few days ago and it still hasn't cancelled. This really sours me on buying one of these if 3 days later the thing still hasn't cancelled.

I told my team I would be working from home today because a very important package is coming and releasing it requires my signature. My boss immediately replies via email, "HTC Vive?"

They know I've been waiting for this thing for a while so now I'm just at home like

G1xDDpE.gif

Durante

You are weirdly closed minded about seated VR games. Do you really not see any benefit VR and motion control can add to games which otherwise would be played on a TV?
No, I argued for the advantages of seated VR for 3 years when it was all I had access to.

Now that I've tried room-scale VR with tracked controllers however, going back to seated VR with traditional controls feels extremely limiting (at least in cases where it doesn't have a good in-universe justification, as it would have in e.g. cockpit games).

I guess you could call me greedy, because I always want the best experience that I know of. It's ultimately the same trait that made DS1's rendering resolution unacceptable to me.

artsi

To be honest, after playing with my Vive for over a week and getting over the initial room scale excitement, I can't bother to stand up and move my office chair out of the way every time I want to play something.

It's good to have that feature, but I like to sit and relax while playing stuff too.

What would be the preferred area of play for the vive? I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card this fall/Christmas and hopefully get my hands on a Vive shortly after. In the mean time I'm trying to determine what room I should set up for VR goodness

XShagrath

You are weirdly closed minded about seated VR games. Do you really not see any benefit VR and motion control can add to games which otherwise would be played on a TV?
I think it's not just the seated part, but the requiring a use of a gamepad that is going to break some of that immersion.

Durante

What would be the preferred area of play for the vive? I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card this fall/Christmas and hopefully get my hands on a Vive shortly after. In the mean time I'm trying to determine what room I should set up for VR goodness
The one in which you can get the largest empty rectangular play space.

Tain

How many people here have their play area in the same room as a plasma TV?

I remember hearing mention of tracking issues with a plasma TV being used as the mirrored display, hoping I won't run into that.

jaypah

The one in which you can get the largest empty rectangular play space.

I've managed to clear a 10x11 foot space. Not ideal but hopefully it'll do the job. After a year and a half with my DK2 I'm ready for ANY standing/moving experiences. I like some seated stuff (racing games and Time Rifters mostly) but I need that tracking freedom in my life!

I remember hearing mention of tracking issues with a plasma TV being used as the mirrored display, hoping I won't run into that.

I have a plasma tv and will let you know how it goes once I get the Vive today and set it up. Fingers crossed.

Jams775

No, I argued for the advantages of seated VR for 3 years when it was all I had access to.

Now that I've tried room-scale VR with tracked controllers however, going back to seated VR with traditional controls feels extremely limiting (at least in cases where it doesn't have a good in-universe justification, as it would have in e.g. cockpit games).

I guess you could call me greedy, because I always want the best experience that I know of. It's ultimately the same trait that made DS1's rendering resolution unacceptable to me.

You are right. It's just not something I want to do now that I've used the motion controls with room scale. I think my bare minimum is that the game has to use the motion controllers (Though I'd be willing to make an exception with the right game).

After going into the Lab demo and playing with that arcade cabinets joystick I realized that's really how they should have controls in whatever cockpit game comes out for Vive.

I don't know if I really want to use HOTAS when I can be moving around a cockpit and actually interact with buttons and panels. Hopefully a game comes out to showcase something like this in the near future. I'm also curious how grabbing a virtual steering wheel and turning would work out. I hope there are companies out there exploring these options.

But there are certain things that have no need for room scale or even standing which will either only work with VR and motion controls or will be hugely improved from what could be done on a screen or with a normal controller. Even games with normal controls feel hugely immersive in a way that they wouldn't be on a normal screen.

VR is exciting because of the range of new and improved experiences it can do, whether they're the seated/standing ones that will be accessible to most people or the larger room scale ones that a smaller number of people will be fortunate enough to fully experience.

To be honest, after playing with my Vive for over a week and getting over the initial room scale excitement, I can't bother to stand up and move my office chair out of the way every time I want to play something.

It's good to have that feature, but I like to sit and relax while playing stuff too.

I'm kind of reaching that point too. Sometimes I just prefer playing something that isn't so physically exerting xD

I think Out of Ammo is my favourite game on the Vive so far. I seriously cannot stop playing it.

Also...anybody going to try out The Climb on Oculus with Revive? It's supposed to have Oculus Touch support which is supposed to be working with Revive already.

Sky Chief

Sitting down isn't a problem but having to use a traditional controller in VR just makes every game a lesser experience than what it could and should have been. I mean have you seen how this game was demoed at PAX East where you had to hold reigns and mist spraying on you and stuff!?

This game doesn't offer motion control.

I've got a 50" plasma on one wall of my play space (only 2feet from the floor though).
No problems for me. Have a mirror image of game running at all times.

The only problem I had was a mirror on one wall. A towel over the top solved that one.

I'm hoping that Arma 2 at least will get a fan made VR mod for seated gameplay (I'd say Arma 3 but I doubt it would run, even on my 980ti.)

And I hope I have the VR legs to play it, without throwing up.

I haven't had any issues with a 50" plasma in the room. I did have issues when I experimented with having a small bathroom mirror visible to the lighthouses, so I guess there's not too much to worry about with reflective TV screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom