• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do people in the UK know their order status?

When I log through my order email I simply come to the invoice they charged me with a May shipping message. Nothing saying order processing etc.

So what's the consensus on booting into VR sans monitor? My room situation is currently such that I'll need to move my tower from my office to another room for any roomscale games. I'd rather not have to move my monitor as well, so is it pheasible to boot into the desktop with just the Vive on?

It's impossible to setup the Vive without a monitor/display. I had my Vive delivered on Monday, but my USPS guy decided to bail on his deliveries that day, which included a much-needed displayport cable.

Since my video card only has one HDMI slot, I tried to set up the Vive by switching cables back and forth, but it would not work at all.

Durante

I have the Vive in a separate room, and it's doable without a monitor once you have completed the setup. From that point on, unless something goes horribly wrong, you can do everything from within the HMD.

Qassim

Holoball is amazing! As I'm in a small room with very low, slanted ceilings (a loft) I need to be really careful, but even thought I'm limiting my movement it's still an incredibly fun game.

I really love the haptics when you swish the paddles around too. Haptics on the Vive controllers, when done well, really add something significant to the game. It's the primary thing that was missing in Vanishing Realms for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the Vive in a separate room, and it's doable without a monitor once you have completed the setup. From that point on, unless something goes horribly wrong, you can do everything from within the HMD.

how do you launch steam vr without a monitor? I thought you don't see anything in the headset until you launch steam VR.

Although I have found that minecrift doesn't like steam VR. Works fine without it, but when it is on I get the right hand controller constantly mining/attacking/etc

Durante

how do you launch steam vr without a monitor? I thought you don't see anything in the headset until you launch steam VR.

Although I have found that minecrift doesn't like steam VR. Works fine without it, but when it is on I get the right hand controller constantly mining/attacking/etc
I'm not saying that you don't need a monitor, I'm saying that you don't necessarily need a monitor in your VR space once you've completed the setup. Basically, I start SteamVR and then I go to the VR room and put on the headset. From that point on I can launch games (and even kill dead instances of Audioshield in the Desktop view) as required.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm not saying that you don't need a monitor, I'm saying that you don't necessarily need a monitor in your VR space once you've completed the setup. Basically, I start SteamVR and then I go to the VR room and put on the headset.

ok - by setup I thought you meant initial setup.

If you're running cabling down from another room you can run an extra HDMI for a TV if you have one there. Or try remote desktop software and dial into your computer from a laptop or ipad just to kick stuff off.

Durante

The one thing I didn't anticipate when I set up my VR space is how often I would show stuff off to a group. Even people who have never been the least bit interested in games want to see it. So now I'm actually missing a larger screen and speakers in the VR space for that use case.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Lots of good tips here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4gubq7/modding_the_vive_is_important/

That lens depth adjustment would be easy to miss for people who didn't read the manual.

The one thing I didn't anticipate when I set up my VR space is how often I would show stuff off to a group. Even people who have never been the least bit interested in games want to see it. So now I'm actually missing a larger screen and speakers in the VR space for that use case.

It's a good incentive for me to finally finish up my basement! 14x22' down there.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Someone from Valve said not to do the foam adjustment (moving the flaps to move your face in closer)

It introduces problems like not feeling presence, artifacts, and even becoming nauseous.

Could still be worth considering for fit - if you're getting too close at that point, then just move them further in to maintain a proper relief distance.

Onemic

Question regarding VR performance. are the steep requirements solely based ont he increased resolution that a game has to render for VR? That is, if I can run a game at 90FPS on my monitor rendered at the same resolution as both VR lenses combined, would I be able to maintain that same resolution running the game in VR?

Asking because it's looking very likely that I'll get my Vive way before Pascal releases and I currently have an R9 270.

Tain

Question regarding VR performance. are the steep requirements solely based ont he increased resolution that a game has to render for VR? That is, if I can run a game at 90FPS on my monitor rendered at the same resolution as both VR lenses combined, would I be able to maintain that same resolution running the game in VR?

Asking because it's looking very likely that I'll get my Vive way before Pascal releases and I currently have an R9 270.

The stereoscopy is the big killer, and causes things to run notably worse in my experience. Split screen is tougher than single screen, even if the total resolution is the same.

On top of that, at least in Rift land, supersampling is on by default (or was during DK2 days). Maybe it's the same in SteamVR?

Durante

It's not necessarily the same.

Depending on the specifics of the individual game and how it handles VR rendering, it could be either closer to 180 FPS at eye resolution or 90 FPS at 2x eye resolution.

And of course, in both cases you have to consider that for good IQ you want eye resolution > screen resolution per eye.

Onemic

It's not necessarily the same.

Depending on the specifics of the individual game and how it handles VR rendering, it could be either closer to 180 FPS at eye resolution or 90 FPS at 2x eye resolution.

And of course, in both cases you have to consider that for good IQ you want eye resolution > screen resolution per eye.

What would be the chances of an R9 270 being able to run older Vorpx enabled titles(when Vive support coems of course) like HL2 or Doom 3?

spekkeh

Banned
Wow I took the Vive home with me from work, and it also trashed the video card drivers of my home pc (and so far I haven't been able to recover them). That's the second pc that happened to. What's up with Steam VR.

Durante

Wow I took the Vive home with me from work, and it also trashed the video card drivers of my home pc (and so far I haven't been able to recover them). That's the second pc that happened to. What's up with Steam VR.
SteamVR literally cannot "trash" your video card drivers. That's not a thing which is possible.

I don't know what is going on with your systems, but I know that that isn't it.

spekkeh

Banned
Well, both times it happened during installation. Admittedly this time I was swapping the hdmi cable back and forth between the monitor and the Vive, because shitty AMD thinks one hdmi out is enough. That probably won't have helped.

Tain

Sayonara Umihara Kawase is on sale at the moment, in case you're pumped for the confirmed VR support (which is still insane to me).

Samaritan

This is what I needed to know, thanks Durante!

I fully intend to have my monitor present when setting it up in case I need to troubleshoot anything, but once everything is setup, not having to move my monitor around would be a nice option.

Durante

Well, both times it happened during installation. Admittedly this time I was swapping the hdmi cable back and forth between the monitor and the Vive, because shitty AMD thinks one hdmi out is enough. That probably won't have helped.
My point is that SteamVR isn't even allowed to touch the drivers, so if the drivers are moved into a non-working state by the SteamVR installation, then the drivers were broken in the first place.

Sayonara Umihara Kawase is on sale at the moment, in case you're pumped for the confirmed VR support (which is still insane to me).
Wait what

Finally received my Vive. Set up took less than 10 minutes and my extremely small NYC apt was just enough for room scale.

Edit: Vortex is one of the best VR experiences I've had.

13124754_10101691482682253_5825772513109291902_n.jpg

13124866_10101691482627363_318022235595396755_n.jpg

Well my order is still Pending Fulfillment (Been about 3 days now) but I went and downloaded all the free stuff I want to try (Like the Foo Show, Budget Cuts demo and The Lab ect) then bought Hover Junkers and Audio shield.

I haven't been this excited for something gaming related in a LONG time.

Btw, is there a fix for why Steam likes to automatically pause my downloads and schedule them to continue re downloading later (only to download for like 1 min then stop again)

Finally received my Vive. Set up took less than 10 minutes and my extremely small NYC apt was just enough for room scale.

Edit: Vortex is one of the best VR experiences I've had.

I NEED IT
When did you order?

Well my order is still Pending Fulfillment (Been about 3 days now) but I went and downloaded all the free stuff I want to try (Like the Foo Show, Budget Cuts demo and The Lab ect) then bought Hover Junkers and Audio shield.

I haven't been this excited for something gaming related in a LONG time.

Btw, is there a fix for why Steam likes to automatically pause my downloads and schedule them to continue re downloading later (only to download for like 1 min then stop again)

I NEED IT
When did you order?

I bought it through a third party a week ago. The person who sold it to me didn't have enough room and was bummed to let it go so I felt bad taking it off him... until an hour ago when Vortex mind fucked me.

I bought it through a third party a week ago. The person who sold it to me didn't have enough room and was bummed to let it go so I felt bad taking it off him... until an hour ago when Vortex mind fucked me.

Xortex is fantastic. I literally forgot that I was in my house.

Did you also get a weird feeling getting used to letting all of the bullets pass through you?

Wait, what is Vortex? Google and Steam don't really show anything unless I'm just overlooking it.

dumbo

I don't think steamVR damages anything, but I think AMD has some very wonky logic to determine which port your 'main screen' is connected to. (I upgraded my drivers whilst steamVR was active - which somehow made the drivers believe that my main monitor was the vive, leading to rather a mess).

cakefoo

Someone from Valve said not to do the foam adjustment (moving the flaps to move your face in closer)

It introduces problems like not feeling presence, artifacts, and even becoming nauseous.
I think you're confused about which face pad mod he was addressing. I'm pretty sure it was the one that increases the fov by making the foam thinner. The one that has you angle the flaps down doesn't seem to increase fov, it's just more comfortable for some people. One of the unspoken benefits for me personally is that it opens up the airflow just enough that my eyes don't water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom