• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

artsi

I'm hoping that Arma 2 at least will get a fan made VR mod for seated gameplay (I'd say Arma 3 but I doubt it would run, even on my 980ti.)

And I hope I have the VR legs to play it, without throwing up.

Actually Arma 3 might run better than Arma 2 as it's better optimized, just dial settings (most importantly view distance) down. And VorpX should make that already possible, when Vive support comes :p

Sitting down isn't a problem but having to use a traditional controller in VR just makes every game a lesser experience than what it could and should have been. I mean have you seen how this game was demoed at PAX East where you had to hold reigns and mist spraying on you and stuff!?

This game doesn't offer motion control.
Some games that just don't need motion controls and can benefit from the immersion and head tracking.

Durante

I'm not saying that I want to play room-scale VR games all the time. I spent 70 hours this month playing Dark Souls 3.

But when there is an exploration based first person VR experience, I'd much rather enjoy that in room-scale and with tracked controllers than sitting down with traditional controls and a VR headset on my head. Just because the latter is better than a monitor doesn't mean that the full room-scale experience with more natural interactions isn't much better yet.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
My wife let go of the controller playing this last night.
Somehow managed to grab the strap(it wasn't around her wrist) before it flew and hit the wall.

Don't know what was sexier...the fact she was actually playing a game after 10 years. Or that she ninja caught a wand blindfolded.

Double sexy?

My wife let go of the controller playing this last night.
Somehow managed to grab the strap(it wasn't around her wrist) before it flew and hit the wall.

Don't know what was sexier...the fact she was actually playing a game after 10 years. Or that she ninja caught a wand blindfolded.

I know I'm mildly aroused right now.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Vanishing Realms is a lot of fun. Not sure I like the fighting, which seems to devolve into
cCgKyOF.gif

and even when I get the shield I can't seem to block one of their moves. Dodging out from cover to get the archers is really fun though.

No idea how to quit though, so I just exited from steam and hope it saved my progress.

Also 'hey siri' is finally showing its worth :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
really hope virtual desktop gets vive controller support soon. So nice to use in steamVR desktop mode that I use that a lot even when I can't clearly see the screen because I can't scale it.

also SteamVR needs to have a way for the desktop mode to launch in Desktop Theater so I can watch netflix or locally stored videos in that environment, not just play games. You'd think it'd be obvious - being a theater.

Can't play SBS videos in Virtual desktop either at the moment, I think because I have a 21:9 monitor so VLC fullscreen has left/right bars which messes up Virtual Desktop's stereo mode.

Exuro

No tracking still, and only 2 days left in the month. Doesn't seem like my April order will be delivered in April as promised. :(

Schryver

I tried cancelling my order after I got that original pre-order authorization email a few days ago and it still hasn't cancelled. This really sours me on buying one of these if 3 days later the thing still hasn't cancelled.

I got an email response this morning after Tuesday's cancellation request. Except I let t he charge go through because I changed my mind again and want the damn thing now! So I am currently trying to cancel the cancellation request (but even if it is officially cancelled it might still ship anyways because it's been charged). Fun times

SimplexPL

If you cancel the cancellation request and change your mind once agin, you will have to cancel the cancellation of the cancellation request. It will be glorious ;)

TheRed

I got an email response this morning after Tuesday's cancellation request. Except I let t he charge go through because I changed my mind again and want the damn thing now! So I am currently trying to cancel the cancellation request (but even if it is officially cancelled it might still ship anyways because it's been charged). Fun times
I'm in the same boat lolol they finally responded to my email from 4 days ago and I'm like don't worry about it I wanna keep it now please! I'm pretty confident it won't get cancelled but still funny they're getting to my emails now even though I said to someone else on the phone that I'll keep the order as it is.

Vanishing Realms is a lot of fun. Not sure I like the fighting, which seems to devolve into
cCgKyOF.gif

and even when I get the shield I can't seem to block one of their moves. Dodging out from cover to get the archers is really fun though.

No idea how to quit though, so I just exited from steam and hope it saved my progress.

Also 'hey siri' is finally showing its worth :)

Wii waggle fighting skills required

Actually Arma 3 might run better than Arma 2 as it's better optimized, just dial settings (most importantly view distance) down. And VorpX should make that already possible, when Vive support comes :p

Arma 3 single player might be doable but the game engine is dated and doesn't make use of multi-threading or does so sparingly. I would imagine playing arma in VR would cause some serious nausea.

Exuro

Did anyone get shipping info this week in the US? I see on reddit that some May guys are getting tracking but they've all been from Europe. Wonder if the US is a little bit behind or something.

chico

Ha! i had the same problem. if anybody here knows how to quit that game, i would really appreciate it.

Did anyone get shipping info this week in the US? I see on reddit that some May guys are getting tracking but they've all been from Europe. Wonder if the US is a little bit behind or something.

Europe has been "ahead" of NA for awhile. A good chunk of the orders came from NA, so our shipping always seems to be behind in comparison.

I didn't. Reading Reddit, some people seem to be under the impression a big wave of shipments are going out next week. At this point, I'm not expecting to get an email until Monday at the earliest :/

Beat budget cuts on the first go - think I've watched too many playthroughs on youtube. Wasn't scary, but you do instantly panic when your knives miss the target and attract the attention of the robots, and when you're scrambling to 'fire everything' as one comes around the corner.

I think it will be a game that needs more space as I wasn't confident throwing the knives quickly in case I hit a wall. First time I've switched the chaperone down to developer mode because the walls were too distracting too (and the game does a good job of showing your available space anyway)

Huh? Budget Cuts is supposed to be scary? Lol think I missed the memo.

Zalusithix

I didn't. Reading Reddit, some people seem to be under the impression a big wave of shipments are going out next week. At this point, I'm not expecting to get an email until Monday at the earliest :/

With the amount of processing emails and charges recently, if they don't have a big wave of shipments soon, then something is rather odd.

Tain

Thanks for the info on plasma setups, guys. Probably nothing to worry about, then.

I disagree, every game can benefit from more direct interaction

What would you add to a game like Elite? I guess you could have players physically press resistance-free cockpit buttons to do certain ship functions or whatever, but that would be a hassle to manage all of that game's functionality that way or to split it between Vive controllers and a HOTAS.

What PC did you buy?

I ended up with this thing because I just don´t want to build anything by myself.

http://store.hp.com/GermanyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W1D20EA&opt=ABD&sel=DTP

I had actually ordered that as well for £1200 but the seller went out of stock and delayed it 6 weeks so I bought this

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk...-gtx-980ti-6gb-galaxy-computer-gaming-pc.html

Except with a 120gb SSD for the OS which came out at £1150 bought a g sync monitor as well 2nd hand of EBay for £200 so it just over £2k including the headset with no games.....Doh!

deadfolk

I cannot get the camera to work for me. I've tried different USB ports (USB2 and USB3) and even lowering the frequency to 30.

What happens is the camera view pops up for a moment, then the display goes grey, then camera again...rinse, repeat. At that point, I cannot even dismiss the camera - I have to remove the headset and disable the camera completely via the desktop.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Think I've sorted it. I disabled legacy USB support in my BIOS. It has worked perfectly even at 60hz in my couple of minutes of testing and has survived two reboots. Never worked even for a minute before.

wwm0nkey

Still looking for someone to test out a really quick thing I made in Unity if there are any takers, PM me :)
(It's like a 10 second test but I just need to see if I can start development on this Vive game or if I have to wait until June when I get one)

yeah there were people in the UK that ordered on April 6th like me and already have shipping happening. I doubt I will see mine until late May.

Sky Chief

What would you add to a game like Elite? I guess you could have players physically press resistance-free cockpit buttons to do certain ship functions or whatever, but that would be a hassle to manage all of that game's functionality that way or to split it between Vive controllers and a HOTAS.

A HOTAS allows for direct interaction already. You see the same controller in VR and can directly manipulate it. Now imagine playing Elite with a traditional controller instead of a HOTAS. It would be a much worse experience. This is my point.

That said, using tracked gloves in Elite with a HOTAS could be pretty amazing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I had actually ordered that as well for £1200 but the seller went out of stock and delayed it 6 weeks so I bought this

http://www.freshtechsolutions.co.uk...-gtx-980ti-6gb-galaxy-computer-gaming-pc.html

Except with a 120gb SSD for the OS which came out at £1150 bought a g sync monitor as well 2nd hand of EBay for £200 so it just over £2k including the headset with no games.....Doh!

Wow, that's a pretty great price considering a 980ti on its own is about £550-600. Bit of an ugly case though :p

Edit: only a single 80mm fan and stock Intel cooler are disappointing. Still, be a nice weekend project to swap that cooler out with something more capable to help overclock the CPU, and beef up the fans.

It wasn't until yesterday that I noticed them (have had my Vive since Monday), but I have four green stuck pixels. One in the left eye and three on the right. I first noticed them while initially loading Budget Cuts. I've been running this: Dead Pixel/Stuck Pixel Screen Fix (1 Hour Long) (Seizure warning - See description) a few times today (a couple of times at 2x speed) but they are not gone yet. I have to restart it whenever it ends (though I found a 12-hour version that I think I will do next). I have my Vive sitting on a box against the wall so the video covers the entire screen. I put this in front of the proximity sensor.

nTHsikJ.jpg

So, they are hard to notice and I have to look for a little bit when first putting on the headset to see them but once I find them it isn't very hard to locate them again. It's rare that I notice them when actually playing something, but it still bothers me that they are there in the first place, especially since I paid $908 total for this thing. I've seen several other people on reddit have the same issue and dealing with HTC over it currently sounds like a nightmare. I am also about to move and am not sure when I would be getting the headset back and if I would be in a different location.

Does anyone have any other tips that might help me get rid of them? Anyone else with the same issue who has contacted HTC about it?

The only other problem I have had with the Vive is when I first used it, the tracking on the touchpad for the left controller was finicky and didn't register my inputs properly like the right controller did. That quickly resolved itself somehow after a little use and I haven't had any problems since. After that, I had no issues and it was awesome! I'm hoping I can fix this problem quickly as it's really the only negative thing about my experience now.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
That said, using tracked gloves in Elite with a HOTAS could be pretty amazing.

Seeing your hands in Vr space would be really cool with any button heavy cockpit game. Id buy something like that :)

Currently Voice Attack and Hotas is pretty amazing atm for Elite
I bought th e William Shatner Orion voice pack.
Kicking back after work doing a run for fortification supplies and then saying Warp Speed and Hearing Kirk reply "Warp Drive Engage"
then immediately say Maximum Warp and Kirk Says "Warp 10" NEVER gets old :)

Wow, that's a pretty great price considering a 680ti on its own is about £550-600. Bit of an ugly case though :p

Edit: only a single 80mm fan and stock Intel cooler are disappointing. Still, be a nice weekend project to swap that cooler out with something more capable to help overclock the CPU, and beef up the fans.

Yeah the case is a bit of a horror show. I was along at my local PC shop earlier looking at a few options for the case and a cooler. I had seen one with a liquid cooler at the time for £1350 but I really wanted the gsync monitor at the time so used the £200 for that and I'll make a few changes in the coming weeks.

Looking at the link again, I also got Windows 10 with the PC for the same price as they're quoting just now.

Onemic

Turns out it was my banks loss prevention centre that blocked the authorization. My status is now "Awaiting Fulfillment"

How long does it usually take to ship when it reaches this status?

wonderpug

Neo Member
I wonder why TheBlu isn't on the Rift as well. It doesn't use the motion controllers and barely uses roomscale, so there is no tech barrier. Maybe they have some sort of HTC/Valve exclusivity deal... but I'm pretty sure there haven't been any of those. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to porting it to the Oculus SDK.

Following up on this. I could launch TheBlu proper on my Rift through SteamVR after bypassing some warning messages about not having compatible controllers, but then I'm stuck in the game's selection menu with no way to choose anything. If I just open Explorer and browse to the game directory, there's a "DirectToRift" exe I can run that takes me straight into the whale encounter, which worked fine. I didn't see any exe's for running any of the other parts of the game.

Turns out it was my banks loss prevention centre that blocked the authorization. My status is now "Awaiting Fulfillment"

How long does it usually take to ship when it reaches this status?

We really don't know. Each shipping wave so far hasn't been consistent, so some people will tell you 2-4 days, some will tell you a week or two and HTC will tell you "It will ship in May."

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

doesn't virtual desktop have a built in theater mode as well?
I think this cinema addon might fit the bill as well.
could be cool since to try if it lets you pick you viewing location.
http://store.steampowered.com/itemstore/382110/detail/100/

couple videos of 3d environments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAxUrANEoTk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvnMsJRSKQ

Samaritan

So what's the consensus on booting into VR sans monitor? My room situation is currently such that I'll need to move my tower from my office to another room for any roomscale games. I'd rather not have to move my monitor as well, so is it pheasible to boot into the desktop with just the Vive on?

So what's the consensus on booting into VR sans monitor? My room situation is currently such that I'll need to move my tower from my office to another room for any roomscale games. I'd rather not have to move my monitor as well, so is it pheasible to boot into the desktop with just the Vive on?
No. You need a monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom