• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

My glasses don't have the same problem though, picture is crystal clear until I reach the frame, there's no thing called sweet spot with them :p

Well, yeah, but if you wear glasses every day, you should be more accustom to moving your head than the average person. It's actually one of the first things I noticed when putting back on contacts after so long using only glasses. Being able to look anywhere without the lenses ending and the frames obscuring things. Was much more inclined to just use my eyes to look somewhere that I would normally turn my head for. So if it bothers glasses wearers, I can't imagine how annoying it must be to people used to contacts or those without vision problems.

Jams775

I refunded The Gallery because although technically impressive, I don't think it's worth the asking price right now. Might grab it if it goes on sale later.

So...with that in mind and some dosh (still pending) in my Steam wallet...Hover Junkers: yay or nay?

The thing I'm hoping for and expecting is that the initial price is $30 but each episode will only be $5 to $10 and should only add up to ~$60 in total. If it ends up being $30 for each episode then they are going to probably get 0 sales and reallllly bad reviews.

Have you tried without your glasses? If your correction is low enough you may not need them with the lenses.

I need glasses to see in the distance but not bad enough to require them to get a drivers license. I don't wear them while using VR and it's been fine for me. Though I've been thinking about getting some contacts to see if it's even better.

Onemic

This blurriness thing sounds pretty bad...Why didnt any of the reviews or impressions of the Vive outline this problem? Seems like a major negative.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
This blurriness thing sounds pretty bad...Why didnt any of the reviews or impressions of the Vive outline this problem? Seems like a major negative.

The "sweet spot" gets covered a lot in VR reviews and fresnel lenses. At least from places that know what they are talking about.

Because it's not an issue, maybe?

It is not blurry. Head tracking is meant to...well, track your head.

If you look around with your eyes mostly than it gets blurry. It's not that hard to get.

The "sweet spot" gets covered a lot in VR reviews and fresnel lenses. At least from places that know what they are talking about.

Exactly; there's a sweet spot. And people might argue if it's good enough, but saying that "everything is blurry" is being stupid. Especially if pc specs are sub-par.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Because it's a thing that depends a lot on each person's individual characteristics, like the shape of the face, the shape and positions of the cheeks, the vision, IDP, needing glasses or not. That's why there are so many different reports. Optics depend a whole lot on the distance and position from the eyes and those are practically different for each person.

Light Repair Team #4
Audioshield
theBlu - This is a good "demo" experience
Space Pirate Trainer
Hover Junkers

Make sure to download The Lab and Budget Cuts Demo. Holopoint, Vanishing Realms, Blarp, Holoball and Waterbears also get mentioned a lot.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about Hover Junkies. Is it worth the steep price of admission?

mnannola

Lately how long does it take to get shipped once the charge has hit your credit card? I was charged last Monday but I am still sitting at Pending Fulfillment.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Even switching between the two different foams provided can make a lot of difference. My girlfriend needs the thicker one to view the image cleared, while I use the one for wide face.

Are there any Vive games out now that are compatible with the Leap Motion for hand tracking in VR?

Off the top of my head, AltSpace supports it and I believe Runes does as well. There are more, but I haven't had a chance to really take a good look. I have one so I'll be messing around with that stuff.

artsi

It didn't seem that bad at first to me either, but it tends to get more frustrating as you actually use the thing over time.

Just a thing to accept that these first gen devices have stuff to improve. Some of course are less sensitive to SDE, some to the small sweet spot, some to the godrays, some to the small resolution, some to the weight/comfort issues... but they're all there.

I find a lot of people aren't adjusting the top strap either. Once you have the back strap right at the curve of your skull it feels perfect.

I've heard a lot of mixed things about Hover Junkies. Is it worth the steep price of admission?

If you like multiplayer shooters then I think it's worth the price. Otherwise there's not much there in terms of content. They said they'll be adding a campaign and a ton of new stuff, so it's not like you won't get your monies worth.

I know some people get nauseous while playing it. For me I felt a bit uneasy and I figured out that it was because I was focusing too much on the junker moving and less on my surroundings. Once you play enough I think it goes away because you learn to watch out for other people versus watching the ground go by.

Just got tomorrow off work so I can sign for the delivery. I think I'm going to sit in a lawn chair in front of my door to avoid any FedEx shenanigans. The hype is palpable!

Well, yeah, but if you wear glasses every day, you should be more accustom to moving your head than the average person. It's actually one of the first things I noticed when putting back on contacts after so long using only glasses. Being able to look anywhere without the lenses ending and the frames obscuring things. Was much more inclined to just use my eyes to look somewhere that I would normally turn my head for. So if it bothers glasses wearers, I can't imagine how annoying it must be to people used to contacts or those without vision problems.

I'm really happy with how the Vive works with my glasses, I'm able to have the eye relief right up to my face at the closest setting, which surprised me with all the talk of people having to lose FOV to get their glasses in it.

Also helps that I have frameless glasses, I literally don't lose anything by wearing them.

The foam gets really irritating on my face after a shortwhile when I'm playing :/ Its easier to ignore with room-scale Vive games but a lot harder to ignore if I'm playing a game sitdown game via Revive.

Perhaps the VR Covers that I ordered will help.

Even switching between the two different foams provided can make a lot of difference. My girlfriend needs the thicker one to view the image cleared, while I use the one for wide face.

And there's IPD to adjust.

It can be tricky coupled with all other variables (foam, face shape, etc.).

I guess it's easier dismissing everything and say that it's blurry.

Or listen to Giant Bomb. xD

On a separate note HTC have shipped back my replacement headset, due to a stuck pixel.

So the whole process will have taken 9 days from pick up to getting new one in my hands.

Onemic

Because it's not an issue, maybe?

It is not blurry. Head tracking is meant to...well, track your head.

If you look around with your eyes mostly than it gets blurry. It's not that hard to get.

Exactly; there's a sweet spot. And people might argue if it's good enough, but saying that "everything is blurry" is being stupid. Especially if pc specs are sub-par.

Because it's a thing that depends a lot on each person's individual characteristics, like the shape of the face, the shape and positions of the cheeks, the vision, IDP, needing glasses or not. That's why there are so many different reports. Optics depend a whole lot on the distance and position from the eyes and those are practically different for each person.

It didn't seem that bad at first to me either, but it tends to get more frustrating as you actually use the thing over time.

Just a thing to accept that these first gen devices have stuff to improve. Some of course are less sensitive to SDE, some to the small sweet spot, some to the godrays, some to the small resolution, some to the weight/comfort issues... but they're all there.

Ah, ok. AJ and others had me scared there for a second :p

Valiant, the multiplayer mounted knight combat game is in early access now.

j2GFbx9.jpg

Multiplayer virtual reality combat for the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive. Valiant is a medieval combat game that thrusts you into multiplayer team battles. Plan your attack strategy with your teammates before charging the enemy with melee and ranged weapons.

Really hope to hear some impressions. Looks like VR Chivalry

All of a sudden the charge for the Vive no longer shows up on my credit card recent activity, neither as a declined transaction or a pending one. But my order still shows as pending fulfillment on HTC's order site. And this after I called my credit card company twice to assure them the charge was legit.

I'm scared of when I might actually get my Vive at this point.

Exuro

All of a sudden the charge for the Vive no longer shows up on my credit card recent activity, neither as a declined transaction or a pending one. But my order still shows as pending fulfillment on HTC's order site. And this after I called my credit card company twice to assure them the charge was legit.

I'm scared of when I might actually get my Vive at this point.
Happens to a lot of people. It's just a pre-authorization charge. You'll get recharged later.

Yeah, before I tried the Vive I was nervous about roomscale taking off because oculus and PSVR don't currently support it. Then gamestop started demoing the Vive even though there where rumors that they weren't going to and where in favor of PSVR only. That gave me hope since it meant that roomscale would be a lot of peoples first time experience with VR and first impressions are everything. But I was still worried that it would just become a niche thing.

But man, after I got my Vive and plopped myself into VR for the first time and walked around and interacted with stuff... I'm not the least bit worried now. VR and roomscale are just one and the same to me and I have absolutely no doubt about it's success. I mean, I don't even argue about it anymore lol. It's incredible.

Now I just want to demo it to as many people as possible. I haven't felt like that about any other piece of tech that I've ever owned.

Leading up to my pre-orders and prior to me learning about the Vive, I always imagined sitting experiences as being what VR is, not because I thought they were the best way to go, but simply because I didn't think something like roomscale could possibly exist, but after experiencing it I can say that I would prefer that all VR games that can work well with a standing experience, make use of it.

I think/hope that future iterations of all devices will focus on implementing roomscale style gameplay to make the most of the medium.

I pretty much had the same experience as you never really cared about VR that much until I read some other people's experiences. Went ahead and pre-ordered the Vive without trying and was completely blown away by how amazing it is. I've tried the rift and cardboard so I had some expectation but the Vive is truly something else. This is truly the beginning of new way to consume entertainment, learn, visualize and even interact with people online.

Edit: Brookhaven isn't scary, at least not to me. The sense of presence is there for sure. You'll Dodge attacks like a mad man and will be startled but scary.. Not so much.

It really is amazing when comparing it to what I expected it to be.

I think the interesting thing about Brookhaven is that it isn't scary on the surface, but the effect that comes with enemies invading your personal space seems to be very unnerving.

I never freaked out or even felt scared while playing until I'd miss a few shots and end up with several zombies closing in on me. Even then, it wasn't scary in the traditional sense but there was this switch in my brain that would immediately flip when zombies were about 5 feet from me and approaching.

I would go from "this is a cool game" to "noooooope" in a second once they changed to running animations and started getting in my space. It's hard to describe, but the closest feeling I would compare it to is if you've ever been chased by a wild animal and it gets very close to you.

It's not necessarily fear, but a strong subconcious fight or flight reaction that comes from something being too close for comfort, forcing your brain to decide to either run away or stand your ground.

Zalusithix

Happens to a lot of people. It's just a pre-authorization charge. You'll get recharged later.

Considering I've heard of people receiving the Vive before being recharged, I can't help but wonder what happens if they they get a decline for whatever reason in those situations.

Compsiox

Banned

I'm gonna play the fuck out of this when I have time. Based on the original early tech release I don't think they could mess it up.

With that being said...please don't have clunky combat with the motion controls ;-;

Spent 3 hours today clearing out the play space. I've got 15ft by 32 ft floor space which was full to the gunnels with pap from when we moved office premises 2 years ago. All packed up, binned or put into the loft.

Divided off the area I'll be using for the Vive, roughly 13'5" by 15' and setup my rig. Downloaded the free bundle, downloaded pretty much all of the games recommended on here and on steam and now I've simply got to wait on DHL.

Well, I've been tracking the progress of my Vive on DHL. I'm in the UK. It landed at Heathrow, taken to Gatwick sorting facility where it should then be delivered to me tomorrow. Well, it's just been sent back to Heathrow for some reason....

Qassim

It's kind of annoying that SteamVR enables high performance mode on Windows and then doesn't disable it (often) when you quit SteamVR. Not cool.

Has anyone else tried Unseen Diplomacy?

It's currently my favorite experience that I've had thanks to the brilliant use of redirected walking.

I'd love it if more games took this approach as it's extremely well implemented.

Tadie

Does all Oculus Home games work with LibreVR? So could I buy "The Climb", "Chronos" and maybe "Blaze Rush"?

I played Luckys Tale minutes ago with my Vive.
It's awesome :)

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
http://www.roadtovr.com/newretroarcade-neon-htc-vive-steamvr-multiplayer/

Developer Digital Cybercherries has today announced plans to develop a new version of their acclaimed virtual arcade. NewRetroArcade: Neon will be built for SteamVR and will include multiplayer, motion-controls, and room-scale capability for the HTC Vive.
Developer Digital Cybercherries tells us that they plan to update the original NewRetroArcade with SteamVR support for free. Meanwhile, NewRetroArcade: Neon will be a separate, paid release which will include multiplayer and “a huge amount of new content.”
That new content seems that it won’t come only in the form of more arcade cabinets; the developer teases an air hockey table as a new physical game which could be played by multiple players simultaneously, perhaps with others to come

This is very nice to hear. Another one to put on the wishlist.

I will try it later tonight.

Exuro

So I got the Vive in. Didn't realize it states only 16 ft from basestations. Doesn't seem to make sense with the 15x15 max room sapce, though I'm not seeing that in here either. Did anyone here go beyond 15ft for their basestations?

So I got the Vive in. Didn't realize it states only 16 ft from basestations. Doesn't seem to make sense with the 15x15 max room sapce, though I'm not seeing that in here either. Did anyone here go beyond 15ft for their basestations?

Multiple people have gone beyond that with no problems and if you are still worried just use the sync cable.

Sky Chief

My first couple days with the Vive I thought it was blurry but it still had a significantly bigger sweet spot than the DK2. Then I realized that I was wearing the Vive to low on my face. The bottom should not be on your cheeks but literally resting right on the edge of your cheek bone by the eye sockets. I tightened the top strap and now it's easy to get this position every time. If you wear it like this and get the correct IPD the entire FOV is clear.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wish the too strap wasn't so difficult to adjust, especially when you're demoing it to multiple people. If the end of the strap was at the back rather than up front and trapped under the cables it'd be much better.

CaLe

How is a company so completely unaware of when their customer's order will ship ? I mean, don't they have access to the queue and an approximate number of shipments made per day ?

Just called HTC to get an update on my order (pre-authorization has been made like a week ago on my CC), and obviously they were completely unhelpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom