• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC Vive Launch Thread -- Computer, activate holodeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams775

So is my i5-3570k at 4.2 ghz not sufficient? I just installed the vive and got nauseous in the lab from the stutter. I have a Titan X sli setup.

It should be. How much RAM? If you have Titans I imagine you have at least 8 GB. Could it be a resource hogging rogue app?

Also maybe having sli is causing it?

Hmm, any frame limiters or forced vsync?

Ha, you are a genius. I forgot that I had Rivatuner set to limit frames to 60fps. Thanks :)

On another note, the sound has been permanently muted for some reason. If I try raising the volume bar within steam VR, it instantly jumps back down to zero. The same thing happens in volume mixer. wtf. any thoughts on that?

I'm having some issues where the steamvr window is saying the base stations are set too far apart. I plugged in the sync cable and have the channels set to A and B, but it's still spitting that warning.

Shouldn't the channels be set to B and C?

Edit: I just looked at the Vive Pre manual. If you don't use the sync cable then you set the channels to B and C, otherwise it's A and B.

Ha, you are a genius. I forgot that I had Rivatuner set to limit frames to 60fps. Thanks :)

On another note, the sound has been permanently muted for some reason. If I try raising the volume bar within steam VR, it instantly jumps back down to zero. The same thing happens in volume mixer. wtf. any thoughts on that?

Haha, I figured. I've done similar in the past. :)

For the sound issue, I'm not sure. Not at my computer otherwise I'd check, but did you check in the steamvr settings for any audio options?

Haha, I figured. I've done similar in the past. :)

For the sound issue, I'm not sure. Not at my computer otherwise I'd check, but did you check in the steamvr settings for any audio options?

Yeah...doesn't change it. If I disable the vive driver and just play through the speakers, it works fine. But if I try to play audio through the vive, it wont allow me to raise the volume. so odd.

So after a few hours with the Vive, I can't say I'm really blown away. I may be tempted to sell it after a few days, especially if it's still selling for ~$1500... :O

Exuro

Messing around with the controllers some more and there's definitely a problem with the touchpads. :( Going to talk to them tomorrow and get these controllers exchanged.

Does anyone know how controllable Vive is when using Revive with just a gamepad? I figure I could pretend it's a Rift while the controllers are away.

Defect

I think I already asked a similar question here before but I'll ask anyway. My Vive is coming in June so I have not tried it yet.

I do own a DK1 and obviously the screendoor is really noticeable. How much better is the Vive's screendoor effect compared to the DK1?

artsi

Mine is pretty blurry too on the outer edges, but is mostly noticeable at the bottom which is a shame as that is where a lot of the action will happen as opposed to the top. Case in point, if you open the SteamVR dashboard the three icons for Steam, Desktop and Vive in the bottom-centre are a little blurry.

I've tried a lot of adjusting, but ultimately a large part of it will come down to one's anatomy. Changing the IPD and position of the lens is one thing, but the size of someone's eyes or the curvature of their eyeballs is going to impact things as well, to the point where a different headset's lenses might suit them better. I have to wear the headset pretty low, while others claim that wearing them high so that the bottom rests on your upper cheekbone is better. No way is that the case for me - that makes the middle of the view blurry too. Ironically I wouldn't notice these problems if I wore my glasses instead of contacts.

I have to say though, I never really noticed these issues with the DK2. It could be rose-tinted, fond memories, but while the lenses of the DK2 were plastic and "cheap", they provided great FOV and an all-round clearer picture than the Vive (excluding the difference in actual screen quality), albeit were deficient in other areas/ I think the bigger improvement in the next generation will come from better lenses more than the screens sitting behind them.

Yep, it's not a dealbreaker but the fact is the lenses aren't sharp on the edges and I don't see a reason to downplay it, it's a very expensive gadget after all and the issue is something that should be improved with second generation.

It needs to be fixed anyway for things like foveated rendering / eye tracking to have any use, 4K or 8K resolution doesn't help if the optics cause a blurry image anywhere else than the middle.

The godrays are another issue that screams we need better lenses.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can anyone tell me if its possible to place light houses at hip level or even on the floor?

Ive noticed that its possible, but how is tracking at lower heights...?

You might get away with it. The issue with height is not tracking, it's synchronising with the other base station. If they can't see each other then they can lose sync and you lose tracking. Having them above head height means they can see each other while you're walking about. On the floor or waist height means you'll be blocking them regularly.

Two ways around it
1) you might get lucky. If you have light coloured walls and the base stations aren't too far apart, the sync pulse might get through via reflections. Not sure I'd want to trust it as a long term solution though

2) sync cable. If you connect the base stations with the included 3.5mm cable then they don't need optical sync, and you can put them at ground level just fine. Be careful you don't vibrate them when walking around though or it'll mess up tracking

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm curious with people doing mods to reduce distance from lenses to eyeballs. Lots of comments that it improves clarity and fov, but I would have thought it'd mess with how the view is presented - games would be expecting a certain fov so it might be slightly distorted?

I'm curious with people doing mods to reduce distance from lenses to eyeballs. Lots of comments that it improves clarity and fov, but I would have thought it'd mess with how the view is presented - games would be expecting a certain fov so it might be slightly distorted?

It doesn't look distorted, but I've heard that it could have some weird issues with geometry appearing to float when moving around it? There was a dev post on the Vive subreddit about it, suggesting that people don't use the Vive without foam because of this reason. Personally, I've never noticed anything weird or felt uncomfortable, and the clarity and FOV gains are stunningly worth it.

That said, maybe in five years we'll find out that using VR HMD's without enough distance between the lens and your eyeball is the new smoking.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It doesn't look distorted, but I've heard that it could have some weird issues with geometry appearing to float when moving around it? There was a dev post on the Vive subreddit about it, suggesting that people don't use the Vive without foam because of this reason. Personally, I've never noticed anything weird or felt uncomfortable, and the clarity and FOV gains are stunningly worth it.

That said, maybe in five years we'll find out that using VR HMD's without enough distance between the lens and your eyeball is the new smoking.

Which mod did you use on yours?

Everyones head is going to be different to some degree. I think I must have a weirder than average shaped head and the things that I have found that works for me so far is,

A. Adjusting the cup at the back of the headstraps so that it actually sits further down than most suggest. I had nearly all of the straps tightened all the way before with the cup up higher like most suggest and it was just not staying on my face right while at the same time too tight. So, I moved the cup down further to cradle the back of my head and I found that I don't even have to tighten all of the straps nearly as much as before and it fits much better and stays in place where I need it for best clarity. For me this is absolutely NOT at the tops of my cheek bones like so many others suggest because my forehead slopes back quickly and If I wear it like that the sweet spot is too high for me.

B. I did this custom foam replacement mod. It works wonders for me. This mod is fantastic for me and really increases the FOV and clarity. So much that I can't go back to the stock foam.

After doing those things I can have multiple hours long sessions with no problems at all except for soreness of muscles due to roomscale shenanigans. :p

The only other thing I can think of for you if you are feeling any discomfort on your head where the straps lay is to maybe line the straps with foam by using some Velcro zip ties so you can easily adjust where you need the pressure to be relieved. Different people have differently shaped skulls and this can create points of pressure where due too elevation the pressure from the strap isn't evenly distributed and is instead focused on a smaller area. You would actually want to place the foam or padding on either side of this point in order to distribute the pressure more evenly otherwise it will just end up compressing that spot even more.

Quoting this for when I eventually get my Vive, hopefully in June.

Evo X

Ahhh! Just played Audioshield for over two hours straight!

Got into a trance like state with a perfect multi-song streak going. It was ruined by a SINGLE missed note in Adele's "Hello"

Was around 18,000 before it got reset. Would have been over 34,000 was it not for that mistake. Got perfect 10s on a lot of songs of course and dethroned a bunch of people.

What's the highest streak you've gotten in this game?

trillbo

Just got my tracking number from DHL! April 5th order to Ireland, no status change on the HTC site for me yet.

Can anyone let me know how long it took from when you got your tracking number from DHL to when it was delivered?

I need to go home and make some room now!

Dankul

Just tried Euro Truck Simulator 2 again and quickly remembered how fast that game made me feel sick when I used the DK2, particularly while trying to park the trailer. I'm perfectly fine playing windlands, any flight games, and even most driving games that doesn't have as much stop-and-go motion. My body would try to compensate for the expected g-force by leaning backwards during braking and forward during acceleration. I think I may also have to do with the proximity of buildings, crates, and other object closely nearby while inside the parking areas. Does anyone else experience something similar?

UnrealEck

So errr, my Vive apparently shipped. I've only just gotten an email from DHL (delivery service) saying it's a 'Vive set' shipped from Croatia. The invoice on the findmyorder site hasn't changed either. I don't have any HTC account or anything to check.
Really weird. I've not had an email yet from HTC either saying it's shipped.
Is this normal? Will the email from HTC maybe come soon?

Did yours come from Croatia?

Mines says

SENDER : DHL Express (CzechRepublic) s.r.o.
Na Dlouhem 83
Ricany-Jazlovice
Czech Republic

It did and my info came the same way as yours. Email from DHL linking a Czech website which show ever the delivery. The HTC email appeared about 4 hours later.

UnrealEck

It did and my info came the same way as yours. Email from DHL linking a Czech website which show ever the delivery. The HTC email appeared about 4 hours later.

Very nice. That's a weight off me then. You looking forward to finishing work then? haha. I bet it's going to be the longest day for you.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So errr, my Vive apparently shipped. I've only just gotten an email from DHL (delivery service) saying it's a 'Vive set' shipped from Croatia. The invoice on the findmyorder site hasn't changed either. I don't have any HTC account or anything to check.

I received HTC delivery mail 10 days after I got already my Vive. The DHL mail is enough.

Kysen

Seeing some advanced gameplay of windlands and was mind blown. The default rope config makes some areas impossible to reach.
Does any racing sim currently support the vive without 3rd party hacks?

So is my i5-3570k at 4.2 ghz not sufficient? I just installed the vive and got nauseous in the lab from the stutter. I have a Titan X sli setup.

Are you seeing stutters during load screens? If so, that is normal. However, if you're seeing stutters during gameplay there may be something else going on

I'm on a 5820k at 4.4ghz and even I get stutters during load screens

artsi

HTC told me that my Vive has been shipped 4 days after I had been using it.

DHL email = you're good.

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Order Date: 3/2/2016
Pre-order Authorization Email : 4/25/2016
Card Authorized : 4/26/2016
Ship Date: 5/02/2016
Shipping Notification Email : 5/03/2016
Expected Delivery Date: 5/04/2016

Resseh

I love HoloBall so much. First game where it felt like i was in another world... but i doubt i will play it much. I let me girlfriend play it and i spent my time grimacing as she was getting closer to the walls or the bar. Apparently i did that too and nearly hit stuff many times yet i never saw the Chaperone grid.

Anyone broken a controller yet?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I have a gsync monitor connected to my display port, am I screwed? What does the Vive require in terms of available ports?

I have a gsync monitor connected to my display port, am I screwed? What does the Vive require in terms of available ports?

The breakout box has a mini DP and HDMI port on it. Assuming you graphics adapter has an HDMI you should be okay to have both connected. I currently have a DP to mini DP going to my vive and HDMI going to my TV

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The breakout box has a mini DP and HDMI port on it. Assuming you graphics adapter has an HDMI you should be okay to have both connected. I currently have a DP to mini DP going to my vive and HDMI going to my TV

What if the hdmi port on my videocard is already used by my TV for example? I just checked and I think I have a display port available, will that work?

Helznicht

I love HoloBall so much. First game where it felt like i was in another world... but i doubt i will play it much. I let me girlfriend play it and i spent my time grimacing as she was getting closer to the walls or the bar. Apparently i did that too and nearly hit stuff many times yet i never saw the Chaperone grid.

Anyone broken a controller yet?
Holoball has reportedly broken the most controllers, tvs, walls, and lamps than any other vive game

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Order Date: 3/2/2016
Pre-order Authorization Email : 4/25/2016
Card Authorized : 4/26/2016
Ship Date: 5/02/2016
Shipping Notification Email : 5/03/2016
Expected Delivery Date: 5/04/2016
My situation: Pre-order Authorization Email : 4/26/2016

Nothing since. Should I worry?

What if the hdmi port on my videocard is already used by my TV for example? I just checked and I think I have a display port available, will that work?

Yes. Again I have the display port connected to the Vive and HDMI card going to my TV. The breakout box supports either input so long as the connection from the PC is HDMI or display port to mini display port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom